Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Our player exodus has started..

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yet another signed for the future who didn't make it here.

... And that's OK? Sign as many prospects as you can, some won't make it, some will. Surely we don't expect them all to turn into Aarons / Godfrey / Omo / Lewis / Idah?

Good luck to him.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

... And that's OK? Sign as many prospects as you can, some won't make it, some will. Surely we don't expect them all to turn into Aarons / Godfrey / Omo / Lewis / Idah?

Good luck to him.

Agreed, would be nice to sign some for “the now” though as well.

The current 'self funding principle' sees every signing in £ signs rather than any long term improvement on the pitch. Fine for lower league outfits like Peterborough but aren't we supposed to be bigger than that?

Little old Norwich will never change until we have people with drive and ambition in the boardroom.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

The current 'self funding principle' sees every signing in £ signs rather than any long term improvement on the pitch. Fine for lower league outfits like Peterborough but aren't we supposed to be bigger than that?

Little old Norwich will never change until we have people with drive and ambition in the boardroom.

They do have drive and ambition, championship mid table obscurity was perfectly possible, instead they gave Webber £50,000,000 to try to keep us in premier league. I'm not arguing it's worked, but the "no ambition" trope is not supported by the evidence.

What they lack is cold hard cash. If you are going to criticise the board, at least target the actual problem.

Also, the need to buy with a view to selling later is basically what clubs from Everton downwards have to do with a portion of their transfer budget, so no, we are not supposed to be bigger than that.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

They do have drive and ambition, championship mid table obscurity was perfectly possible, instead they gave Webber £50,000,000 to try to keep us in premier league. I'm not arguing it's worked, but the "no ambition" trope is not supported by the evidence.

What they lack is cold hard cash. If you are going to criticise the board, at least target the actual problem.

Also, the need to buy with a view to selling later is basically what clubs from Everton downwards have to do with a portion of their transfer budget, so no, we are not supposed to be bigger than that.

There are degrees of 'ambition' and where I come from Smith and Jones are just playing at it rather than letting go.

Ref clubs like Everton buying to sell I don't buy that at all. Anything we produce will be in the shop window as soon as any interest is there not to improve the squad.

41 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

There are degrees of 'ambition' and where I come from Smith and Jones are just playing at it rather than letting go.

Ref clubs like Everton buying to sell I don't buy that at all. Anything we produce will be in the shop window as soon as any interest is there not to improve the squad.

What resources could the reasonably mobilise that they don't? They don't have huge amounts of capital to invest, the only thing they could do is mortgage the club to try to stay up and that would be completely moronic.

The second is objectively not true, we even have recent examples, we could have sold both Aarons and Buendia when we were relegated from the premier league, there were buyers for both, we didn't sell because they were the strongest in the bunch and we didn't need to.

You don't like the owners, ok, fair enough. At least be honest enough to admit that it's not a personality flaw and that they walk a difficult tight rope all the time. If you feel that they don't have the cash, you will feel many who agree with you including me, but the rest is unsubstantiated rubbish.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

What resources could the reasonably mobilise that they don't? They don't have huge amounts of capital to invest, the only thing they could do is mortgage the club to try to stay up and that would be completely moronic.

The second is objectively not true, we even have recent examples, we could have sold both Aarons and Buendia when we were relegated from the premier league, there were buyers for both, we didn't sell because they were the strongest in the bunch and we didn't need to.

You don't like the owners, ok, fair enough. At least be honest enough to admit that it's not a personality flaw and that they walk a difficult tight rope all the time. If you feel that they don't have the cash, you will feel many who agree with you including me, but the rest is unsubstantiated rubbish.

There is no dishonesty in my comments and maybe I could say the same about you for defending the indefensible?

I don't dislike Smith or Jones personally but I do dislike what they are playing at with this self funding nonsense. It is pure fantasy to hope it could produce anything more than a mid table Champs outfit, in which case they should just be straight about it and say so.

1 minute ago, Nora's Ghost said:

There is no dishonesty in my comments and maybe I could say the same about you for defending the indefensible?

I don't dislike Smith or Jones personally but I do dislike what they are playing at with this self funding nonsense. It is pure fantasy to hope it could produce anything more than a mid table Champs outfit, in which case they should just be straight about it and say so.

Except nobody knew it was nonsense until it was tried and yet again it's about the lack of capital, not a lack of ambition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

Except nobody knew it was nonsense until it was tried and yet again it's about the lack of capital, not a lack of ambition. 

Let's not fall out on New Years Day 1902. Opinions may differ but ultimately we all want what's best for the club.

• Like 1

How on earth is one player leaving, who has never made a senior appearance (from what I can remember), the start of a ‘player exodus’?

Another absolute nonsense click baiting title from the OP. You don’t get ad revenue from extra clicks so I have to wonder what is the point?

No problem with you posting as much as you do CC and enjoy at least being up to date with stuff without having to go elsewhere, but for the love of god please try and stop posting such blatant garbage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Got to agree with 1902 on this one.   Our model is driven and ambitious and 90% of clubs would still aspire to do things as well as we do.   Unfortunately, it’s just not well-executed at the moment and needs honing even more.   

Too many fans confuse ambition with money!   

40 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Another absolute nonsense click baiting title from the OP. You don’t get ad revenue from extra clicks so I have to wonder what is the point?

Attention seeking....... 

13 hours ago, 1902 said:

Everybody knew it was nonsense,  and it was figured out and introduced by the board and Webber because Smith and Jones had made it well known they were passing their majority shares on to their nephew, who is more penniless than they are, and with very little knowledge of how to run a successful f.c. Webber runs this outfit, he is a ‘yes’ man, and does exactly as the owners direct.

I am always sorry when one of these prospects doesn't come off. But I am realistic -  for every Godfrey there are half a dozen like Bloomfield, Fonkeu, Power, Nizet , Gilmour (the lad from Arsenal), Adams and so on.

I am still hoping Adshead will come good and save us millions on day.

By definition, more prospects will fall short rather than make it at the highest levels of the game, and only a very few make the club mega money. If he's tried his best and fallen short, then there's no disgrace and fair play to him.

Weaponizing it to attack the club is boneheaded in the extreme though.