Sign in to follow this  
littleyellowbirdie

Buendia struggling at Villa.

Take a step back for a minute: We’ve scored 2 goals in 9 games.

Do you think that perhaps, just perhaps, losing our primary creator from the last 3 seasons might have something to do with that.

(And maybe, just maybe, those who said seliing him was the worst decision the club had ever made, might have had a point.)

11 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Do you think that perhaps, just perhaps, losing our primary creator from the last 3 seasons might have something to do with that.

(And maybe, just maybe, those who said seliing him was the worst decision the club had ever made, might have had a point.)

We've also been missing Cantwell, and not played Dowell. All three played big parts towards the end of last season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yes in the championship. At times in the prem. Project restart saw lots of arms flailing sitting on the floor and not getting back up when he thought he had been fouled.

Whether Buendia had to be sold or not, surely we can't be revisionist and pretend he wasn't a hugely important and critical part of our squad.

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

Whether Buendia had to be sold or not, surely we can't be revisionist and pretend he wasn't a hugely important and critical part of our squad.

Don't think anyone has denied that. I'm saying I don't think he makes a jot of difference in that 7-0 loss to Chelsea. Just as he didn't help us win any of our last 11 games 2 seasons ago.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Don't think anyone has denied that. I'm saying I don't think he makes a jot of difference in that 7-0 loss to Chelsea. Just as he didn't help us win any of our last 11 games 2 seasons ago.

Possibly, but I think he would at least give the opposition something to think about. One of the most painful things about playing the top teams is that they don't even seem to worry about needing to defend against us this season; it seems we carry so little threat.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 12:55, duke63 said:

Think before you speak!!!!

Great suggestion, but will fall on deaf ears.

Not really CC's style, more concerned with just getting something, anything posted as soon as humanly possible.

18 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Did you attend a gig by the Specials or were you with the NHS fighting the Coventry Legion 😉

Let's just say I was a bit younger & more carefree!

Sadly never saw the Specials live. Did see Madness once though, and had a very enjoyable evening, akin to a few of my trips to the fair city of Coventry! 😁

55 minutes ago, Ian said:

Possibly, but I think he would at least give the opposition something to think about. One of the most painful things about playing the top teams is that they don't even seem to worry about needing to defend against us this season; it seems we carry so little threat.

Exactly. It's not rocket science. 

Anyone claiming Buendia wouldn't have made a difference is being a tad wooden, or attempting to be controversial for the sake of it. Would he have changed the result? Most probably not. But a positive difference, absolutely. His presence lifted the fans and gave belief straight away. I'm sure it had a similar impact on teammates too. 

1 hour ago, The Bunny said:

It's definitely looking like a bad decision at this point. I defended the sale at the time but I assumed we would be spending more on fewer, better players. I also didn't envisage ripping up our system and reverting to hoofball. It's hard to say which has been more catastrophic.

• Like 1

Quite a lot to unpick with this one. Both City & Villa made the decision to replace a single talismanic talent with several players. In both cases the talismanic player wanted to move onwards and upwards and in neither case has it worked as expected. It stings our fans a bit that it illustrates City's position in the food chain. Obviously it is better for City that Buendia triggers the £5m of add ons but for some fans, like a jilted boyfriend wishing failure on his exes new relationships, want Buendia to fail. So far with the hip injury and international call-ups referred to in the article Villa will be disappointed in their new player. Grealish on the other hand looks the part in a top six club which rather questions fans' judgement of Buendia's ability. Back to the boyfriend analogy, perhaps she wasn't as good looking as he thought.

On 27/10/2021 at 14:50, mannings bandy legs said:

£35,000 a week better off though.

Haha, puts it into perspective doesn't it, it I was £35,000 a year better off I'd feel like I had hit the jackpot.

On 27/10/2021 at 13:55, duke63 said:

I wish some people would stop making crass, uninformed comments about places they know NOTHING about.

I live close to and work in Birmingham and like most places it has its good and bad but to call it one of the worst cities in the UK is an absolutely stupid comment and does you no credit. Think before you speak!!!!

When was the last time you visited??

I'm sure many Brummies have reason to love it, I'm sure it's a great place in parts, but it has never been a place I warmed to. Does it automatically mean I haven't thought about it because I don't like somewhere?

By contrast, now Newcastle, that's a city.

Is it beyond reality to imagine that Emi is a superb Championship level player but rather ordinary at PL level? Would he be doing great things for us this season?

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Is it beyond reality to imagine that Emi is a superb Championship level player but rather ordinary at PL level? Would he be doing great things for us this season?

Yes. You only have to look at his assists/chances created (in a team that finished 20th) in 19/20 to see that this is nonsense. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Yes. You only have to look at his assists/chances created (in a team that finished 20th) in 19/20 to see that this is nonsense. 

Yes, and then add the fact that he improved in the following year, both in his defensive discipline and his goal threat. He'd have been better in the Prem this year than two years ago and it's a real shame he left. 

• Like 1