Thumbbass

Stuff you've thought of but it's too dull for conversation

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Why are all milk bottle tops white all of a sudden? 

Because green, blue  and red were too exciting for us old gits?

2 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Because green, blue  and red were too exciting for us old gits?

I can't deal with all this nonsense. When something is changed in my life I want to know why. Has someone been paid for this? If so, can I have their job please? 

On 17/10/2023 at 13:06, A Load of Squit said:

Without any prompting this morning a colleague told us that 'Tenderstem' is a trade mark and the real term for the item is Broccolette.

The Teams call was about creating data for the housing regulator.

Does anyone else eat the stems of regular broccoli?

If you peel off the skin, they steam, boil or roast a treat 😋

• Thanks 1

How do people have a conversation on a mobile phone if they are holding it up to their mouth horizontally and speaking into the bottom end? I've never seen anyone who is doing this, move the phone to their ear so that they can hear the person on the other end.

Are they just having a rant? Are they pretending to talk to someone else? I wouldn't be able to hear the other person if I did this on my Iphone, so is it only people who use Android phones that can do this?

It looks stupid to me, I want to know why people do this.

• Thanks 1

Well isn't that nice. A pigeon roosted above my car all night, eating nothing but green and super glue. 🤮

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Diwali? 

Oh, maybe. It seemed a bit random but that could be the reason.

I've upped my woke/lefty credentials by switching to oat milk. It is actually rather nice, especially in coffee.

20 minutes ago, Herman said:

I've upped my woke/lefty credentials by switching to oat milk. It is actually rather nice, especially in coffee.

I tried it in coffee for a while and I agree it's nice, nicer than milk probably, but some have a high proportion of rapeseed oil in, so I've gone back to milk.

Some of the advertising about oat milk is a bit misleading.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I tried it in coffee for a while and I agree it's nice, nicer than milk probably, but some have a high proportion of rapeseed oil in, so I've gone back to milk.

Some of the advertising about oat milk is a bit misleading.

Just checked the ingredients on the Alpro one and it's not too bad, a bit of sunflower oil but 97% oat/water.

5 hours ago, Herman said:

Some good advice here, fatties.😂

F_jQHAwXEAEeoG4.jpg.999ec54f72373fb2c43ec62c465e3aa8.jpg

https://twitter.com/tkohl/status/1727359285204832336

The bloke I buy mine off doesn’t look very healthy. Nor do his customers.

Edit: for the sake of clarity, this post was for comic effect. The last thing I need recently is to be awake even longer.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

The punks were onto something here then 😜

Lemmy could have written a few self help books. 

• Haha 1

On 03/11/2023 at 10:31, Mr Angry said:

How do people have a conversation on a mobile phone if they are holding it up to their mouth horizontally and speaking into the bottom end? I've never seen anyone who is doing this, move the phone to their ear so that they can hear the person on the other end.

Are they just having a rant? Are they pretending to talk to someone else? I wouldn't be able to hear the other person if I did this on my Iphone, so is it only people who use Android phones that can do this?

Might be fear of holding it too close to the head. The signal strength over distance follows an inverse square law, so the e/m radiation of the brain is dramatically lower if an inch from the head instead of pressed to it.

If you're interested in proper conspiracies then safety of non-ionising radiation is a great topic to explore, because it stinks as much as the oversight on tobacco and internal combustion does.

https://www.microwavenews.com/

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

On 03/11/2023 at 09:31, Mr Angry said:

I guessing you’re not familiar with the speaker phone “button”? I rarely use anything else. Partly as LYB says in case there’s any negative effect from holding a phone so close to my head, but mainly because it’s more like having an ordinary conversation.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2023 at 09:31, Mr Angry said:

Loudspeaker my man, loudspeaker. 

I really shouldn't be this excited about successfully setting up SSH through a cloudflared tunnel from my home raspberry pi, soon to be my web server. I wish I'd started playing with these things sooner.

Apache, MySQL, and PHP all in. Next stop: WordPress installation!

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

8 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I really shouldn't be this excited about successfully setting up SSH through a cloudflared tunnel from my home raspberry pi, soon to be my web server. I wish I'd started playing with these things sooner.

Apache, MySQL, and PHP all in. Next stop: WordPress installation!

That sounds impressive, but you may as well be talking Swahili 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Wings of a Sparrow said:

That sounds impressive, but you may as well be talking Swahili 😁

I marvel at the people who develop this stuff. I'm following instructions, making mistakes, taking days to figure out what the mistakes were and gradually getting a dim awareness of what I'm doing along the way.

Anyone wondering about presents for kids for Christmas should have a look at these things...

Car horns need updating. They shouldn't beep. They should automatically shout T WAT when someone pulls out in front of you at a roundabout. Or when a cyclist goes through a red light in front of you and you have to slam the brakes on to avoid them. 

9 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Car horns need updating. They shouldn't beep. They should automatically shout T WAT when someone pulls out in front of you at a roundabout. Or when a cyclist goes through a red light in front of you and you have to slam the brakes on to avoid them. 

I'm behind this idea.