Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

That penalty decision today is an utter disgrace

I know we have other defensive issues and are capable of conceding goals but it was pretty pivotal and once again we have been completely and utterly screwed over by the VAR system.

I didn’t watch the game but saw a clip of the penalty. I had assumed the ref gave it and VAR backed him up. To find out that wasn’t the case is gutting. For anyone watching that replay the guy is clearly and indisputably diving and falling to the ground before there is any contact (which in itself is not enough to bring him down anyway). How the f**k is that a clear and obvious error? It’s a disgrace and basically corrupt. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I know we have other defensive issues and are capable of conceding goals but it was pretty pivotal and once again we have been completely and utterly screwed over by the VAR system.

I didn’t watch the game but saw a clip of the penalty. I had assumed the ref gave it and VAR backed him up. To find out that wasn’t the case is gutting. For anyone watching that replay the guy is clearly and indisputably diving and falling to the ground before there is any contact (which in itself is not enough to bring him down anyway). How the f**k is that a clear and obvious error? It’s a disgrace and basically corrupt. 

Stating the obvious I know but if thats Keane on Pukki at the other end it is NEVER given, probably not even VAR checked. 

• Like 1

Similar to our penalty against Leicester in a way.

Clumsy tackle, not given but would've been a soft penalty, checked by VAR despite not being a clear and obvious error then overturned.

Both were penalties that the attacking side would claim are clear fouls yet the defensive side would say there wasn't much in it.

Kabak kicked him, it’s a penalty. It was soft as **** but it’s a foul in the area.

Kabaks at fault not VAR.

• Like 3

Yup it's sickening, it's a clear dive and VAR doesn't give any s**ts about diving.  It's farcical.

If Kabak was following through i'd understand it, but he's pulling his leg away immediately after missing the ball - there's no way that impacted the player to fall like that.  No common sense anymore, I love the game, but sick of the suits that run it.

"Clear and obvious" was the tag to sell VAR, it was never the intent as we're already adjusting handballs and offside decisions to work around it - at that point it's defining the game, and not an error support mechanism whatsoever.

VAR could be used to stamp cheating/diving out of this game - they're not interested in it though.  If that really was a high kick from Kabak then where's the card that it deserves?  I have less holes in my socks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Similar to our penalty against Leicester in a way.

Clumsy tackle, not given but would've been a soft penalty, checked by VAR despite not being a clear and obvious error then overturned.

Both were penalties that the attacking side would claim are clear fouls yet the defensive side would say there wasn't much in it.

Not at all. The Leicester pen the defender takes the attacker out. The Everton player is diving and it’s incredibly clear snd obvious. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Kabak kicked him, it’s a penalty. It was soft as **** but it’s a foul in the area.

Kabaks at fault not VAR.

Completely disagree. Kabak makes contact but he’s already on the way down. See also the Ronaldo non penalty at West Ham. 

If it had happened at the other end, every City fan, and every poster in the match thread, would be screaming "Penalty".

And rightly so.

It was never in doubt

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not at all. The Leicester pen the defender takes the attacker out. The Everton player is diving and it’s incredibly clear snd obvious. 

So yeah, this:

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Let's ask an Everton fan, a Leicester fan or a couple of neutrals.

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Anyone who thinks that has not watched the slow motion replays.

I haven't seen it at all, but I don't think it was a penalty!

• Haha 1

Anyone who thinks that has not watched the slow motion replays.

I saw the replays whilst I was watching, it was a pen. A soft one? Yes, but you need to be smart enough to not have a boot on someone's thigh in your own box, absolutely a pen within the laws of the game.

Seems Farke didn’t dispute the penalty decision but he was going on about a second yellow and red card which didn’t happen in the second half, can anyone recall that incident?

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So yeah, this:

Let’s do that then. I will wager the majority of neutrals would say our pen v Leicester was a pen and that the Everton player today took a dive.

why are so many of our so called fans always so desperate to back the corrupt/inept officials when they give decisions against us?

there is no way that decision to give a gk was a clear and obvious error tgst should be overturned. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robertociNCFC said:

I saw the replays whilst I was watching, it was a pen. A soft one? Yes, but you need to be smart enough to not have a boot on someone's thigh in your own box, absolutely a pen within the laws of the game.

“Soft” pens should not be given by VAR overturning the refs original decision 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

Seems Farke didn’t dispute the penalty decision but he was going on about a second yellow and red card which didn’t happen in the second half, can anyone recall that incident?

He absolutely did dispute it. They were told that type of incident would not be given as a penalty. 

He absolutely did dispute it. They were told that type of incident would not be given as a penalty. 

Not on the interview I heard, he was just going on about a double yellow that should of happened? What was that?

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

“Soft” pens should not be given by VAR overturning the refs original decision 

Because it was a penalty, imagine the uproar on here (myself included) if that had not gone our way.

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

why are so many of our so called fans always so desperate to back the corrupt/inept officials when they give decisions against us?

Why is it that so many fans, not just Norwich fans but football fans in general, think that all the referees are always out to sabotage their team and only their team?

• Like 1

I’m not fussed about the pen. It’s in the seen them given category.  McLean’s error on the other hand. I’m sorry I just can’t get over that. 

Just now, robertociNCFC said:

Also posters really need to stop harping on about being "screwed" by VAR, stop looking for excuses.

It annoys me that it's not being used for clear and obvious errors but has instead lead to rules being re-written and looking for such fine marginal decisions that goes against the flow of the game. 

Yet where it could be used for the better is to stamp out the biggest parasite in the game and that's playacting/diving/cheating - but they fail to address that issues.

I can see why the Pen was given in todays rules, and don't feel screwed over by VAR.  But it just further saddens me to see a system I dislike send us 1 goal down so early and reward a player for playacting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Helsinki canary said:

Not on the interview I heard, he was just going on about a double yellow that should of happened? What was that?

Shortly before their second goal. 

1 minute ago, robertociNCFC said:

Because it was a penalty, imagine the uproar on here (myself included) if that had not gone our way.

We had a far more blatant penalty not given to us last week when Rashica was fouled at 1-1. Strangely VAR didn’t intervene.

• Like 1

Just back home in Birmingham, travelled to the game with a couple of Everton season ticket holders. On the way they asked us what we thought of VAR. We explained that if there is a chance for VAR to intervene and give our opponents a decision they will. They laughed.

So on the trip home they had apologised and said see what you mean, that was a joke of a penalty, how the f*** were we awarded that. I also hear you shout ah but we lost 2:0, but the second goal came as a result of us going 4 at the back and opening up the game. I appreciate VAR cannot rule on a yellow card, but how the hell was their number 12 not given a second yellow for the deliberate hand ball. 
We were right next to the penalty and like the ref I will say in real time he brought his leg across and dived, I understood the new rule said that is not a penalty. I just caught the end of Brentford Liverpool and if Everton’s was a penalty via VAR how did VAR not even look at the foul on Jota 2 minutes from the end.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not long after that incident, Sargent got to a ball down the line, got taken out as he was about to cross the ball, goal kick given and that was more clear than the pen which wasn't given. Also VAR is for clear and obvious mistakes right? So why does Allan go screaming at the ref and showing his leg? He couldve marked his leg any point in the game. Ref didn't give it so no var shouldve been looked at in my opinion 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So yeah, this:

I did, they were laughing their socks off, their verdict never a penalty, nobody even appealed except the diver.