I think he's ready. I think he, Omobamidele, and Lungi are going to come right through.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think he's ready. I think he, Omobamidele, and Lungi are going to come right through.

completely agree! How lucky are we to have Farke, who has complete faith in these players. Previous times, we'd have shipped them out to Aberdeen, then released them

• Like 1

The problem I have with Idah - quite unfairly I admit - is I can’t help comparing him to Pukki. When Idah doesn’t have the ball, he doesn’t seem to make the clever runs that Pukki makes. Clearly he is a different type of player. 
He is big but without being a ‘Holt’ dominator. I don’t think he will bully defences. Unsure if his size is an advantage or not. 
If Pukki is not available and Idah plays from the start, we have to make sure we provide good balls into the box to capitalise on his strengths.

Idahs movement and passing in close combat is well beyond his years, the thing he's lacked for the first team is goals. He had a load of near misses last time in the prem in that run towards the end, and then unfortunately missed virtually the entirety of last season with injury. I think he's got more than enough to offer this squad, but it's just looking at the striking options on paper and only having one you know will guarantee you goals (Pukki obviously) that makes it hard not to feel like we need to invest in another option

Idah reminds me a bit of a Dean Ashton type player hes a big lad (not like holty size) but theres definitely a presence there, his second last night was class.    Hopefully he can make the step up.  Big year ahead for him 

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

The lad has grown immensely during his time at City, I believe he is now growing into his body. 

Big guys need to be given more time to reach their potential I think. Idah is 20, but basically we should think of him like he was 19. I'm quite thrilled at his prospects. I admit I may have underestimated him, because I didn't take his physicality into account.

The question is whether he takes that admittedly big step forward this season. We should give him benefit of doubt even if he struggles a bit. Keep up his confidence.

He's looking the part so far in pre-season. I can see a scenario where plan B involves bring him off the bench with Placheta, or Hernandez, or both, bombing down the wings whipping in crosses for him. 

15 minutes ago, horsefly said:

He's looking the part so far in pre-season. I can see a scenario where plan B involves bring him off the bench with Placheta, or Hernandez, or both, bombing down the wings whipping in crosses for him. 

That sounds more like Hugill territory. Idah is a much better footballer than lumping it to him in the box

1 minute ago, AJ said:

That sounds more like Hugill territory. Idah is a much better footballer than lumping it to him in the box

I'm not suggesting we just "lump" it into the box. I'm suggesting that, among his many talents Idah also posesses the ability and physical strength to get on the end of crosses in a way that is not really a part of Pukki's game.  The goal last night being a good example; it's hard to imagine Pukki getting on the end of Cantwell's majestic flick. So if we find ourselves getting no joy attempting to thread the ball through defences in plan A, plan B could involve attacking more down the wings in tradional wing play, Placheta, Hernandez, Rashica and potentially Tzolis, all have the speed to do that. And if we did go plan B I would rather have Idah playing centre forward than Pukki. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I'm not suggesting we just "lump" it into the box. I'm suggesting that, among his many talents Idah also posesses the ability and physical strength to get on the end of crosses in a way that is not really a part of Pukki's game.  The goal last night being a good example; it's hard to imagine Pukki getting on the end of Cantwell's majestic flick. So if we find ourselves getting no joy attempting to thread the ball through defences in plan A, plan B could involve attacking more down the wings in tradional wing play, Placheta, Hernandez, Rashica and potentially Tzolis, all have the speed to do that. And if we did go plan B I would rather have Idah playing centre forward than Pukki. 

Pukki could definitely have made that run to stab the ball in off Cantwell's incredible assist. 

Personally rather than trying to suggest Idah is in some way superior to Pukki which is a damn bold statement for a Norwich fan, I would suggest he is the perfect alternative when we are not regularly able to thread Pukki in as what Idah certainly has is the ability to convert half chances at alarming degrees of accuracy owing to his superb reactions and awareness in the box. Which, when we struggle to break lines, opens the door for the threat of earlier crosses as Idah looks to have the natural inclination to make the most of lower percentage chances.

I certainly wouldn't say that Cantwell's assist is an example of Idah being able to score goals Pukki can't though. Weird take.

I'm surprised people haven't yet suggested the prospect of Idah playing alongside Pukki when we are chasing games. 

Pukki is best at stretching sides during the game with his intelligent runs across and behind the defence. Idah's biggest strength is his movement inside the box. 

We are unlikely to be playing deep inside the opposing teams half this season and instead take a more of a counter attacking approach. Therefore Idah will be brilliantly utilised later in games when opposing sides naturally if they're winning drop deeper to defend their lead in the final 15 or so minutes plus injury time. This is when we will see more of the ball popping into the box and when Idah will be a great threat. He can do the the running behind defenders too but not yet as effective as Pukki. Pukki really is outstanding at it.

I don't want to get carried away with Idah as the proof is always in the pudding, but he has all of the attributes to be a good striker. Last time we saw him play regularly was the season before last and some international fixtures.

Movement can depend upon who you are playing with regularly and establishing an understanding with the balls they will and can play and how your runs and the play style need to match up.

He is taller than Holt and I would say as big - but athletically, though Holt wasn't not athletic, not everyone has the same body shape. And the strength and bullying bit - that's an interesting point. I think he has that capability, as an 18/19 year old perhaps you are still learning how much you have on older guys, and how much you can use it. Youth set ups tend to encourage passing, less contact and better football - which is good.

I can remember my transition to mens football, I've always enjoyed a good slide tackle and getting stuck in, but that step to mens, you question whether your tackles and strength are as good as they are against youngsters your age. I was 16, other players assume as you are a kid you can't push people about or tackle well. It's somewhat a confidence/belief sort of thing.

At 6'3" he has height on Holt. He is neat and tidy with the ball at his feet. The finish last night was very good technically, not just the turn, but effectively shooting blind into top bins... I think he is going to be a much more accomplished squad member this season.

11 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Pukki could definitely have made that run to stab the ball in off Cantwell's incredible assist. 

Pukki doesn't tend to muscle his way through in that fashion, it's all about subtle and quick movement latching on to balls threaded through from midfield. In all the wonderful years of his play, how often have his goals come from him muscling through a defensive pack to get on the end of crosses from the wing?

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

I don't want to get carried away with Idah as the proof is always in the pudding, but he has all of the attributes to be a good striker. Last time we saw him play regularly was the season before last and some international fixtures.

Movement can depend upon who you are playing with regularly and establishing an understanding with the balls they will and can play and how your runs and the play style need to match up.

He is taller than Holt and I would say as big - but athletically, though Holt wasn't not athletic, not everyone has the same body shape. And the strength and bullying bit - that's an interesting point. I think he has that capability, as an 18/19 year old perhaps you are still learning how much you have on older guys, and how much you can use it. Youth set ups tend to encourage passing, less contact and better football - which is good.

I can remember my transition to mens football, I've always enjoyed a good slide tackle and getting stuck in, but that step to mens, you question whether your tackles and strength are as good as they are against youngsters your age. I was 16, other players assume as you are a kid you can't push people about or tackle well. It's somewhat a confidence/belief sort of thing.

At 6'3" he has height on Holt. He is neat and tidy with the ball at his feet. The finish last night was very good technically, not just the turn, but effectively shooting blind into top bins... I think he is going to be a much more accomplished squad member this season.

Absolutely spot on there. I can relate to this from my old playing days at a relatively good level. As soon as I stepped up from u18s to mens it took confidence and experience over a season to then know my place umongst the strong and powerful central defenders. You soon realise you can cause them all sorts of problems as you bulk out and have that confidence. 

Edited by Yella Army
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Personally rather than trying to suggest Idah is in some way superior to Pukki which is a damn bold statement for a Norwich fan, I would suggest he is the perfect alternative when we are not regularly able to thread Pukki in as what Idah certainly has is the ability to convert half chances at alarming degrees of accuracy owing to his superb reactions and awareness in the box.

I suggest you read what I said properly. Then you wouldn't have to endure the embarrassment of misrepresenting me and saying exactly what I had previously said myself.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Pukki doesn't tend to muscle his way through in that fashion, it's all about subtle and quick movement latching on to balls threaded through from midfield. In all the wonderful years of his play, how often have his goals come from him muscling through a defensive pack to get on the end of crosses from the wing?

with all due respect did you watch the goal? Idah didn't muscle through anything, no one even touched him. Cantwell's cross landed on the end of Idah's quick, darting run into a pocket of space, something Pukki can do easily. No one touched him, I repeat.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

I suggest you read what I said properly. Then you wouldn't have to endure the embarrassment of misrepresenting me and saying exactly what I had previously said myself.

What? That was a general statement, only the bit about the goal was aimed at you. Cheer up.

I think his hold up play has improved as well - managed to control and lay off the ball well with his back to goal, when under pressure. 

• Like 1

image.png.39532cb34c98384755b92b688fd3c286.pngidah muscling his way through. Lol

Edited by FatCanary
Adam Idah did not 'muscle' anything to score that, and Pukki would have scored it too.

2 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

with all due respect did you watch the goal? Idah didn't muscle through anything, no one even touched him. Cantwell's cross landed on the end of Idah's quick, darting run into a pocket of space, something Pukki can do easily. No one touched him, I repeat.

With all due respect did you read my post? Please point out where I said Idah was a better player than Pukki. I said Idah would be a better option if we moved to a plan B situation where balls might be played in from the wing. The exact thing you repeated after accusing me of saying something that I definitely did not say.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I think his hold up play has improved as well - managed to control and lay off the ball well with his back to goal, when under pressure. 

I like Adam a lot. Will be an exciting season for him, and if so, for us.

6 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

image.png.39532cb34c98384755b92b688fd3c286.pngidah muscling his way through. Lol

I suppose you could have included the video clip showing Idah resisting a sliding challenge, but never mind. How many tap ins account for Pukki's goal tally?

Edited by horsefly

Just now, horsefly said:

With all due respect did you read my post? Please point out where I said Idah was a better player than Pukki. I said Idah would be a better option if we moved to a plan B situation where balls might be played in from the wing. The exact thing you repeated after accusing me of saying something that I definitely did not say.

I'm not saying you said that, and I haven't accused you of saying Idah is better than Pukki. This is really confusing.

Just now, horsefly said:

How many tap ins account for Pukki's goal tally?

You're the one implying Pukki wouldn't have scored that. The onus of proof is on you. So, why? 

Just now, FatCanary said:

You're the one implying Pukki wouldn't have scored that. The onus of proof is on you. So, why? 

The way I see it, you refer to 'subtle and quick movements latching on' to a ball. Just because it wasn't a through ball- that aside it is exactly the type of ball in that Pukki would eat up. Surely you can see that? A short, darting run off the shoulder of a defender?

No?

No?

@horsefly FWIW i agree with most of what you say about Idah, just not that that goal was an example of anything that demonstrates advantages of Idah over Pukki.