Sign in to follow this  
Creative Midfielder

Climate Emergency - Why has it taken so long..............

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Remaining optimistic and solving the issues before us is the only way to proceed.

Yeah, I can identify with that statement, and I partially agree with your take on the protests.

My thoughts on the people that have taken to the streets though, is that they feel they have to do something to make themselves feel they can influence events.

Getting back the other points you make about politicians etc, I sort of disagree here, because politicians in countries like China and India are going to have a massive effect on how much carbon their respective countries are going to produce.

3 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Yeah, I can identify with that statement, and I partially agree with your take on the protests.

My thoughts on the people that have taken to the streets though, is that they feel they have to do something to make themselves feel they can influence events.

Getting back the other points you make about politicians etc, I sort of disagree here, because politicians in countries like China and India are going to have a massive effect on how much carbon their respective countries are going to produce.

I’m of the opinion that the people marching or sitting in roads do feel powerless but they’ve also been co-opted by insane political organisations that, frankly, the environment is a secondary concern. It’s more about furthering far left and anarcho politics. Right wing does it too btw, anti-masks, US capital riots etc. The causes are beacons but the primary goal is furthering the politics. It’s all done by promoting the ego as well of course. The protestors are all posers effectively, there for clout and imaginary internet/social credit points. Pathetic really. Like I said, both sides are husks of human beings and need to be studied or taken to hospitals so they can get the help they need. It’s “care in the community” in action when they demonstrate. Diagnose these people and Medicate them.

we need to create alternatives, and we are, that are superior to current options to convince people to make switches that will change our carbon output.

There are all sorts of things that are affecting climate but the only one we have any control over is our own output on the world, so we should focus on that. As usual we can’t rely on politicians or Greta Thunberg, we need to do it ourselves, and we will.

Two bits of news. The marvellous Hannah Fry had to take a stand and an MP had to highlight some top hypocrisy/shilling.

• Like 2

Drill for Gas - Germany still using Lignite ffs!

Don't buy Chinese goods - still building Coal Fired Piwer Stations (just not in the 3rd World

Give an incentive to ensure efficient cars from the 1970’s and 80’s are kept on the road rather than shredded at huge cost and 60% landfill - my old Citroen AX TDi was about 72mpg and ran on cooking oil if needed.

Take a shower with someone else - did that, wife not happy 😂

• Like 1

I gave the ‘Trick or Treaters’ an apple each off my tree…. No packaging, no carbon footprint for transportation…. The look of dissatisfaction was a picture. 
Loving COP26 - expecting a Social Media backlash 

The whole COP26 event deserves ridicule alone just for that ridiculous oversized globe outside the venue hall.

As for the event itself, the backlash is going to be hysteria gold.

Whatever is achieved or not achieved at this summit will be seen as a failure. There will be a big flounce and Greta will probably turn herself into a meme again. Great.

All the while there’s engineers and scientists working away creating solutions to this problem. While the idiot masses try to further their deranged politics under the banner of a death cult mentality and to get imaginary internet points, of course, the most important thing.

Trust the engineers creating alternative energy technology and electric cars, not two faced politicians and dreadlock idiots LARPing in the streets because they are literally unemployable.

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Like 1

On 30/10/2021 at 12:14, Daz Sparks said:

people are screaming at ignorant politicians to feel they can influence things.

Well, that is what suffragettes did and they got somewhere, the right to vote in an unfair disproportional election, without much chance to influence self interested party politicians.

China will help us tremendously to cut down on excesses and our CO2 pollution abroad. They will just cut down on the 'bargains', the  consumer goods we expect them to pollute their country with. I hope you have enough Sparkz in you to get a bus/cycle and attend the 6th. Nov. COP26 march and follow up speeches in Chapelfield.

On 30/10/2021 at 12:35, The Real Buh said:

I’m of the opinion that the people marching or sitting in roads do feel powerless but they’ve also been co-opted by insane political organisations that, frankly, the environment is a secondary concern. It’s more about furthering far left and anarcho politics. Right wing does it too btw, anti-masks, US capital riots etc. The causes are beacons but the primary goal is furthering the politics. It’s all done by promoting the ego as well of course. The protestors are all posers effectively, there for clout and imaginary internet/social credit points. Pathetic really. Like I said, both sides are husks of human beings and need to be studied or taken to hospitals so they can get the help they need. It’s “care in the community” in action when they demonstrate. Diagnose these people and Medicate them.

we need to create alternatives, and we are, that are superior to current options to convince people to make switches that will change our carbon output.

There are all sorts of things that are affecting climate but the only one we have any control over is our own output on the world, so we should focus on that. As usual we can’t rely on politicians or Greta Thunberg, we need to do it ourselves, and we will.

This has nothing to do with right or left wing politics, because both have failed for 50 years to grasp the nettle, because they were more interested in power and self interests. Politics has failed to take note, if they would have accepted annual incremental steps to reduce our dependency on unsustainable practices, we would be in a completely different place today.

You seem to want to create lesser humans and medicate them, that is  what Mengele tried in the 1930's.

I agree with your last paragraph, we can all do stuff in our local community, NOW, not create some arbitrary goal in the future we have no intention to implement. Taking control over food waste, have community methane digesters, create local electricity generating networks,  take steps to plant wildflowers and trees. We do not need Governments or politicians to do this, they have failed and should now get out of our way if we show that we mean change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Whatever is achieved or not achieved at this summit will be seen as a failure. There will be a big flounce and Greta will probably turn herself into a meme again. Great.

All the while there’s engineers and scientists working away creating solutions to this problem. While the idiot masses try to further their deranged politics under the banner of a death cult mentality and to get imaginary internet points, of course, the most important thing.

Trust the engineers creating alternative energy technology and electric cars, not two faced politicians and dreadlock idiots LARPing in the streets because they are literally unemployable.

'while there are scientists and engineers working away to create solutions to the problems'.... they created collectively. Trust in new electric cars you say, and then you get derogatory by making remarks about peoples haircuts. Not bad for a bald BUHH, but terribly primitive.

1 hour ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

This has nothing to do with right or left wing politics, because both have failed for 50 years to grasp the nettle, because they were more interested in power and self interests. Politics has failed to take note, if they would have accepted annual incremental steps to reduce our dependency on unsustainable practices, we would be in a completely different place today.

You seem to want to create lesser humans and medicate them, that is  what Mengele tried in the 1930's.

I agree with your last paragraph, we can all do stuff in our local community, NOW, not create some arbitrary goal in the future we have no intention to implement. Taking control over food waste, have community methane digesters, create local electricity generating networks,  take steps to plant wildflowers and trees. We do not need Governments or politicians to do this, they have failed and should now get out of our way if we show that we mean change.

Agree with you about failure of our political parties. I've (albeit only recently) concluded that I couldn't trust many governments to sort this. Many are in tune with big businesses, some providing huge donations. Some of these are polluters on a big scale. 

Therefore, policies are influenced and our politics is also short term-ist. Our parties simply want power. Our economic system is based on perpetual growth, on debt. Look at HS2 and other projects. Rather than examine how to improve decent public transport? Or better, informed housing policy that re-cycles. Or better retail policy rather than large outlets. Of course we've heard everyone moaning about their city centres becoming ghost towns. And they're right.

People also buy crap and not always do they buy local. So I agree with you about your last paragraph especially. Our choices (collectively) 'could' influence the behaviour of business. It's bit by bit. Lots of little things we can all do. 

It's a really corny story isn't it about the child on the beach throwing dying starfish back into the sea?  I'm sure you'll know of it. You can see how it applies to green issues....we can make improvements too in saving resources, recycling, fixing stuff, buying secondhand, buying quality etc. Planting trees, growing your own food also helps.

But, there is a huge truth in the story (you could call it a parable I guess). I've always thought if I can help one person the best I can then it has a value. Just little things in a human level. And that is because relationships are something that should also be sustainable. The trouble with Brexit for example is that is a force for bad, for division. Macron and Johnson are now arguing over fish. Neither wants to appear weak. The fact that compromise appears difficult shows their very weakness.

Division is all played out too on these threads at times with a poster having a go at another poster. And posters hating Farke and screaming for him to leave from the comfort of their keyboards. I don't think the kind of point I'm making is moot. Cooperation and collaboration is what is needed at government level but also locally, individually. Thankfully, the smaller the scale the easier it is. We can get involved in our communities.

That's where we are. We all have a responsibility. The biggest DOES belong to governments, that's why we have them, to supposedly make the big calls. But I will not hold my breath. Especially not the current one (even if Johnson has the ear of his wife, we ought not forget that £200k 'needed' to be spent at number 10 because John Lewis furniture and furnishings were just not good enough).

Back to my plebian and semi-hippy world then🙂

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

I think the wealthy western style economy countries can handle any change that is crucial and necessary.

But how do smaller nations manage it. Are we going to give the Maldives money and technology to stop it drowning?

5 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

'while there are scientists and engineers working away to create solutions to the problems'.... they created collectively. Trust in new electric cars you say, and then you get derogatory by making remarks about peoples haircuts. Not bad for a bald BUHH, but terribly primitive.

Get rid of your dreadlocks mate they stink

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think the wealthy western style economy countries can handle any change that is crucial and necessary.

But how do smaller nations manage it. Are we going to give the Maldives money and technology to stop it drowning?

Still touting for investment and no mention of drowning anytime soon.🤔

https://www.maldiveshighcommission.uk/index.php/business/why-invest-in-the-maldives

24 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's already been renamed KIP26.

image.jpeg.688943d352abff6a467b112dce0fc19b.jpegI actually have some sympathy for the politicians on this one, which is pretty rare for me to have, at least it’s confirmation they are at least partially human. 

Packed, warm room

boring seminars all saying the same thing

we’d all be soundo 

Going off my experience of one train trip in Finland a few days ago, IIRC aren't Finnish trains nationalised? Either way, I took a train from Helsinki Airport to Turku, a ride of 2h 20 minutes including a brief stopover in a Helsinki suburb called Pasila. I bought it from the ticket machines at the airport, so not in advance.

On top of that, I paid extra for a seat above the restaurant. Again, as said, with no notice. For a trip that is close to two-and-a-half hours. What do you think I paid for this?

26 Euros. Roughly £22 at current exchange rates.

Out of interest, I had a quick look for similar lengths of trips in the UK for tonight via Trainline. Bolton to Hull was 2h 40 and would have set me back £52.50. Bolton to Birmingham New Street was just over 2 hours and would have cost me £48.80. Bolton to Nottingham would have been two hours and forty five minutes, and cost me £49.70.

And the trains in Finland were probably better than the ones I've seen in Bolton regularly.

• Like 3

Actually, here are some photos of that train on the second "half" (well, most of it, namely the close to two-hour stint) between Pasila and Turku.

1. Picture 1 is a dreadful pun in the restaurant area, which was on two tiers in a mezzanine arrangement.
2. Picture 2 is the seating area I was in, above the restaurant. Many had tables, all had sockets.

May be an image of 1 person, indoor and text that says "Thank you for choo choo choosing the eco-friendly option! THE CARBON FOOTPRINT YOUR TRAIN RIP co 17:59 Kariaa 18:31 90 km/h"May be an image of indoor

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Actually, here are some photos of that train on the second "half" (well, most of it, namely the close to two-hour stint) between Pasila and Turku.

1. Picture 1 is a dreadful pun in the restaurant area, which was on two tiers in a mezzanine arrangement.
2. Picture 2 is the seating area I was in, above the restaurant. Many had tables, all had sockets.

May be an image of 1 person, indoor and text that says "Thank you for choo choo choosing the eco-friendly option! THE CARBON FOOTPRINT YOUR TRAIN RIP co 17:59 Kariaa 18:31 90 km/h"May be an image of indoor

Yep, very smart but you're also saying that the trains in Bolton aren't as good as this - I'm shocked.....really 😂

Still, I'm sure when Johnson has 'levelled up' ours will look just as good..........................🤣🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Yep, very smart but you're also saying that the trains in Bolton aren't as good as this - I'm shocked.....really 😂

Still, I'm sure when Johnson has 'levelled up' ours will look just as good..........................🤣🤣🤣

To be fair, the Ribble Valley line has been electrified in the last few years, as it meant serious work had to be done on the Farnworth Tunnel (which collapsed and set the whole thing back several months). The train I came in on from Manchester Airport was actually a new one in good shape. Fewer sockets around though.

They really should be putting desks on many seats and putting a plug socket there too. Make it easier for people to do some work on them, and price them competitively.

A running mate of mine did the London Marathon a few years ago. He had a look at the ticket prices for five people, and it was cheaper not just to FLY down, but also to book a hotel AND to take the link from bloody Heathrow (which is notoriously pricey) to the starting line rather than pay for just five rail tickets.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Still, I'm sure when Johnson has 'levelled up' ours will look just as good..................

Think Johnson was up Bolton way recently talking about the Northern Powerhouse and something or other about "connectivity"...

IMG_20211101_211843.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Think Johnson was up Bolton way recently talking about the Northern Powerhouse and something or other about "connectivity"...

IMG_20211101_211843.jpg

Heh, the old Farnworth Tunnel was a real issue. Collapsed twice during the works, and to be honest, that stretch between Farnworth and Clifton would be hard work as there's not much space there. Especially at Stoneclough (incidentally, Ben Marshall plays for them now).

On 29/07/2021 at 15:21, TheGunnShow said:

Our infrastructure is antiquated, our flood defences are shaky in many places, there are too many people and houses are being built in places where they really bloody shouldn't. Bolton is not a flat town at all, yet parts of Horwich were flooded off heavy rainfall only a month or so ago, and the worst-affected part was a new estate not a million miles away from the University of Bolton Stadium (and they want to build more houses there - madness!).

Also, if everyone in the world lived like we do in the UK, we would need 2.5 times the Earth's available resources for everyone to live like us. Human ingenuity has brought us a very long way, however it should IMO now focus on coming up with a solution for people to learn to live with less, or for society to function with fewer people, without completely flatlining economic development. Considering that birth rates are below 2.1 in around half the world's countries now, if not just over more than that, my personal view is that it should be the latter.

As economic well-being increases, so family sizes decrease. If you want to decrease the population the answer is economic development rather than sending people back to live in caves and grow their own food. Loads of social well-being indicators improve as economic well-being improves. Even indicators such as awareness of the environment improve when incomes increase. So the answer is to encourage rising incomes in countries such as India and China and as a result the populations of those countries will demand cleaner environments.

• Haha 1

On 28/10/2021 at 17:45, Creative Midfielder said:

In the run up to COP 26 I thought Pink Un readers might be interested in a major new scientific into the impacts of client change which I decide to publish first (and no doubt last) on this thread 😀

The main thrust of this report concerns the regular picking of raspberries in my back garden during the second half of October - just managed to collect some for supper tonight before it got too gloomly to see what I was doing.

Not sure whether I will still be picking them next week during November but I think there will still be a few. It's not even that we are in one of the sunnier or warmer parts of the country, we are on top of a hill in Yorkshire so it is absolutely mental to go outside and pick raspberries at this time of year, perhaps surreal would be a better description.

Daft ****. There are varieties of raspberry that fruit in the autumn. I grow a crop of 'autumn bliss' raspberries in my garden. I think they're nicer than summer fruiting varieties.

4 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Daft ****. There are varieties of raspberry that fruit in the autumn. I grow a crop of 'autumn bliss' raspberries in my garden. I think they're nicer than summer fruiting varieties.

You really are a prize idiot - do yours also fruit in the summer??

Or have mine magically mutated into a variety that fruits in both early summer and late autumn - should make my fortune with those then 😂

8 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

That’s rich of Thurnberg to say the whole event is “Blah, blah, blah!”, everything she says is just that!.

Quite bizarre - I presume that you've never actually listened to Thunberg speak or read anything she has written because if you had you would realise that she actually knows and understands the science, in marked contrast to our (and many other countries') muppet politicians who are either too thick or too disinterested (both in the case of Johnson) to do anything other than 'blah, blah, blah'.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Quite bizarre - I presume that you've never actually listened to Thunberg speak or read anything she has written because if you had you would realise that she actually knows and understands the science, in marked contrast to our (and many other countries') muppet politicians who are either too thick or too disinterested (both in the case of Johnson) to do anything other than 'blah, blah, blah'.

I have, she should go back to school and get her grades, she’s also really annoying and seems to have anger problems.

I know autistic people and they don’t get all angry like the way she does at all when something upsets them, unlike her. She’s just over the top and hysteric.

Edited by KernowCanary

11 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

I have, she should go back to school and get her grades, she’s also really annoying and seems to have anger problems.

I know autistic people and they don’t get all angry like the way she does at all when something upsets them, unlike her. She’s just over the top and hysteric.

If you actually have then why did you post something so ridiculous as to describe what she says as 'blah, blah, blah' - you may not agree with her, RWNJs rarely do and particularly dislike her making stupid right wing populist leaders (invariably wealthly old white men)  look like the ignorant fools they are.

But the fact remains that she talks about the science knowledgably and coherently, whether she got her grades or not -  which doesn't seem to be much issue to the rest of the world since she's been invited to address world leaders at both Davos and the UN, politicians at the HoC and many other parliaments around the world as well as many academics and universities. She also had several books published - I don't think school has got anything left to teach her..................you on the other hand  😃

• Like 2