Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What do you think of other teams?

With the European Super League debacle now isnt the best time to be asking this question, but I found myself wondering how I felt about other teams. I am proud that our country has some of the biggest and greatest clubs in the world. But do I actually like any of them? Clubs in other countries I have a liking for based on their 'brand' and culture I guess, or perhaps due to the love of a certain player or stadium, or admiration of a certain system. Probably arent familiar enough with them to develop a dislike. But English football? How do you feel? I was surprised how hard I found it to find another team in the Premier League I actually liked...

Man City  - Have perhaps become what Man Utd used to be, but to be honest they are not unique in football in having huge amounts of money and I admire their ambition in firstly becoming a big club from their former status, in hiring a great manager with a good vision with the plan to develop the youth ultimatley. Of the big 6 surprisingly my least disliked.

Man Utd  - Harder to hate since they became crap. 2nd in the league is hardly crap, but they've won **** all for years. As a top club you kind of want them to find their feet again. Always the dominant club really as I was growing up so will always think of them in these terms. Their golden generation really were class.

Liverpool - Always disliked Liverpool despite 'supporting' them as a boy in the 80s like everyone else. I quite liked them during the Benitez era when they should have won the league, but aside from that I've struggled to like them. Dont like their kits (always turds on a stick), dont like their ground, dont like their fans, dont like their players generally. I kind of want to like them but just cant.

Chelsea  - Lots of people hate Chelsea, not really sure I share it. No experience of the fans, may be why, but generally I've liked their players and liked their ambition. The dominant Chelsea under Mourinho had some great players and Mourinho during that era himself was brilliant, not the embittered shell he now seems to have become

Leicester - Was never really a fan in the old days. Considered them a club of equal status to us and a rival. Hated them for a log time after Martin O'Neill became their manager and for a long time thought that what they achieved under him could have been us. Have only respect for what they have accomplished in the last few years though and love their insurgency in terms of giving the 'big' clubs a run for their money.

West Ham - Tends to vary how I feel about them. During their Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand era I quite liked them, have had some players I really like over the years. The Stadium thing doesnt sit well with me though really but I guess they've worked to try to make it their home and a proper football stadium. Fans can be twattish so hard to like them.

Spurs - Always struggled to like Spurs and never really understood why there seems to be an abundance of their fans. Love the new stadium which is a great platform for them to build upon. Have had some great players. Mourinho was a massive step backwards I never understood. Liked them during the Van der Vaart era, but they've had terrible teams over the years. Hard to like in my opinion. Just a bit stale.

Arsenal - I cant stand Arsenal. Simply because I think they should be better. They had players I used to like such as Bergkamp, Merson, Overmars, Fabregas but for far too long they've lacked steel. Too many second rate French players (very much like Liverpool of old). Stagnated under Wenger and only worsened afterwards when they should have become more competitive. Just stinks of a lack of ambition which I hate. They should be better. 

Leeds  -  After living in the city for 7 years and as an ex season ticket holder for 1 season I have a bias here. Will always want them to do well to some degree, but fans make them hard to like. Bielsa I have been a fan of since his Bilbao days and pleased to see him doing his thing. **** ground. Old fashioned. The music they played before every game used to make me cringe. But will always want to see them moving in the right direction - doesnt mean I didnt enjoy beating them when they werent moving in the right direction though.  

Everton  - Have just about forgiven them for poaching Mike Walker. Ultimately Im not sure how much of that early 90's team was down to him and his genius as he never replicated it after that. I think Gunn breaking his leg was probably a bigger factor in us being relegated and spending a decade in the Championhsip just when the money came in. Im pretty ambivalent about them these days.

Aston Villa - In theory I like the brand. Though dont like their stadium or their fans, but Birmingham needs a big club and they should be it. Limped along being average with deluded fans for far too long. Hopefully on the rise now

Newcastle - I really want to like Newcastle. I fail to understand why year after year they are so ****. I thought keeping Rafa was a major coup and they would blossom under his guidance. But instead they have Steve Bruce. Likeable fans generally, like the stadium. Deserve better. The Keegan team was iconic for me.

Wolves  - Much more likeable than they were, though not so sure about their direction at present. Some great players currently. Though traditionally they've been the team we hate, and though I dont attend many matches, I just so happened to be at the Muscat Bellamy game, so will never really forgive that. Though thats perhaps Musctwat than Wolves themselves.

C Palace - Pretty ambivalent. Seen them as a rival club of similar stature in recent years. No strong like or dislike.

Brighton - Glad that they managed to move forward and progress as a club and get their own stadium. Aside from that not bothered.

Burnley - Respect them as one of the older clubs in the country. Respect their unfashionable status and everything they have earned. Wouldnt go as far as to say I like them though.

Fulham - Our bogey team. All I have to say really.

West Brom - Cant say I like them, again a club we have generally competed with. No hate though really, but if they fell through the leagues I wouldnt be upset.

Sheff Utd - Admirable first season. Didnt like Wilder particularly but respect what he did. The love affair with them last season was a bit nauseating. Especially after we were criticised so harshly. Who's laughing now. Probably prefer them to Wednesday, though cant say I like either to be honest. Feel sorry for them this season though

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Aston Villa - In theory I like the brand.

Describing a club as a brand is another example of what’s wrong with modern football ( sorry 😉)

• Like 2

I think it is often coloured by your interactions with that clubs fans- for instance two of my best mates support Arsenal and Palace respectively, so I generally want them to do well. 

Having lived in London most Man U fans I've come across are glory hunting **** with no knowledge of football so I dislike them. Similarly with Liverpool, although the actual Scouse supporters I've met are generally OK. 

I've also got no time for clubs who were big in the 70's/80's and think they still are now- so aside from the obvious lot down the road I also can't stand Villa and wish failure on them at all times. On the flip side I always enjoy the smaller clubs punching above their weight, so teams like Burnley, Brighton and even Brentford I have a soft spot for.

Finally Everton are great, nicest bunch of fans I've met with a cracking ground too. 

• Like 1

I don’t like or dislike any other team, Premier League or otherwise, apart from Watford who I like because I was born there and lived there for over 50 years.

7 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I don’t like or dislike any other team, Premier League or otherwise, apart from Watford who I like because I was born there and lived there for over 50 years.

said Mr Angry, unangrily...

• Like 1

I have always had a real dislike for Man Utd.

In the Fergie era they got so many decisions and I remember them coming to Carrow Road and dominating the game, and I do mean the match plus the officials. 

It was my first experience of watching Fergie hound the officials and also Keane and Ince get in the refs face for every decision; might have been easier for the ref to have given them the whistle.

It was the same game where Cantona kicked Polston, well from memory I think it was a back heel to the head.

12 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

In the Fergie era they got so many decisions and I remember them coming to Carrow Road and dominating the game, and I do mean the match plus the officials. 

It was my first experience of watching Fergie hound the officials and also Keane and Ince get in the refs face for every decision; might have been easier for the ref to have given them the whistle.

It was the same game where Cantona kicked Polston, well from memory I think it was a back heel to the head.

That was an FA cup game I think?

5 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I have similar feelings Rich T. I can't stand Man United and I'm continuing to enjoy their lack of success/trophies since Fergie passed the torch. It's been noticeable over the last few years that fewer 'fans' are to be seen walking around wearing their merchandise. I'd love to see them slide down the pecking order but sadly it looks like they're becoming competitive at the top end again.

I also can't stand Chelsea. In my head they're just a dirty, murky club.

I've a strong distaste for Liverpool too and their entitlements, probably linked to Heysel and the European ban when we were a properly competitive outfit.

I always enjoy hearing about the above three getting beaten.

I used to have a dislike for Leeds but that's waned over the last 20 years. And there's always been something about Spurs & Arsenal that draws out the negative vibes, but I don't really know why.

Other than that, I'm not really bothered. I pay very little attention to other clubs, and almost none at all when we're on one of our sojourns to the second tier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

That was an FA cup game I think?

I remember Cantona getting frustrated and kicking out at Ian Culverhouse during a 2-2 draw too, probably in 94.

9 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Binner...

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

If this is the game I remember rightly then  Cantona went through Goss on the sideline like a pair of scissors through a ribbon. An absolutely terrible tackle and should have been a red card all day long. Best thing was that Gossy was a very tough lad and honest player, and he got straight up as if absolutely nothing had happened. How times have changed!

(I might be a bit out on this as it was a pretty long time ago but that is how I remember it anyway!)

31 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I was at this beauty, Flecky had a decent match. 

Love watching Willie Miller in full 'Souness Mode' - clears the guy out but immediately gets his 'tache straight in the refs face to protest innocence.

And none of that poncy placing and curling the free kick from Cooper - lamped it straight into the opposite corner!

57 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Love watching Willie Miller in full 'Souness Mode' - clears the guy out but immediately gets his 'tache straight in the refs face to protest innocence.

And none of that poncy placing and curling the free kick from Cooper - lamped it straight into the opposite corner!

First time in Glasgow and never forgotten. Rangers fans sure know how to celebrate a cup win. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

If this is the game I remember rightly then  Cantona went through Goss on the sideline like a pair of scissors through a ribbon. An absolutely terrible tackle and should have been a red card all day long. Best thing was that Gossy was a very tough lad and honest player, and he got straight up as if absolutely nothing had happened. How times have changed!

(I might be a bit out on this as it was a pretty long time ago but that is how I remember it anyway!)

For some reason, I had the feeling that was Ruel Fox. Afterwards, Fergie's excuse for Cantona was that he was a forward so couldn't tackle properly...............or words to that effect.

8 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

For some reason, I had the feeling that was Ruel Fox. Afterwards, Fergie's excuse for Cantona was that he was a forward so couldn't tackle properly...............or words to that effect.

The one I’m thinking of was definitely Gossy, but that’s not to say Cantona didn’t also attack Ruel as well! He wasn’t exactly very good at holding back ha ha, though I must concede he was a real maverick of the highest quality, a Premier League legend for sure

13 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

said Mr Angry, unangrily...

Yeah, it's ironic, as you've probably guessed. I had been visiting the site for a while before I registered in August 2008 and I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of angry people on here.

Now, nearly 13 years later, I have come to realise that a lot of football fans are angry. I don't really get angry, I don't hate anyone or anything really.

As Morrissey said "It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind". (Actually I almost hate Morrissey now but not quite).

4 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

Can only imagine what VAR would be like if Fergie was still in charge.

They probably have to give him is own monitor and override button for all the contentious Man Ure decisions 😆

• Haha 1

When Wolves came to us last time around their fans were disgusting. Kicking off around the stadium on the way out and generally a bunch of thugs. It didn't help that we were by far the better team that day and conspired to throw it away. I hope they fail miserably next year under the new manager and that we give them a hiding (on the pitch).