There are very/good strikers, Roberts, Reeves, Drinkall, Deehan; and there is a small elite group who are on a different level, and goals seem to flow regardless of how the team is playing- MacDougall, Sutton and Pukki come to mine. 

7 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

At risk of being called out as "are you even a norwich fan" or "discrediting the club" , its a double edged sword with Pukki.

He's playing in a team who at this level are creating a huge volume of chances for him on a game by game basis , so yes he will score a decent portion , however he does miss chances, and quite a lot ..and in a fair few cases it has to be said sitters and one-on-ones that just wouldnt be associated with a top striker.

He has more than enough credit in the bank but its days like Saturday where he fluffed 4 gilt edged chances...all one on ones which perhaps has meant he hasnt played at a hogher level on his career.

Playing at a level where he could get 6 or 7 good chances in a game and scoring 1 maybe 2 is fine , but in a level such as the premier league , where you may only get 1 or 2 of those chances per game is where the problem is....and invariably he's reliant on the same kind of chances i.e as midfielder sliding in a throughball for him to run onto for a one on one.

If that service isnt there , its not as though he can compensate by scoring different types of goal, we wont see him tap one in from 6 yrds , score a header from a cross or set piece, score a 25 yd screamer..or pick the ball up from deep and beat 2 defenders before scoring.

Its a supply line that the premier league quickly found out last season and cut off.

Ultimately though , he will be looked back in NCFC's history as the man who scored the goals that got this club 2 promotions , which will carve him in folklore

I don’t suppose Finland’s all time record goal scorer ( soon to be) is regarded as playing at a high international level?

41 minutes ago, Justin time said:

I don’t suppose Finland’s all time record goal scorer ( soon to be) is regarded as playing at a high international level?

Every country will have their record scorers...and within those goals will come a percentage scored against countries far weaker than that that would be faced domestically

What would've happened without pukkis goals/contribution in the last 3 seasons? I think that's enough said. Some norwich 'fans' are idiots who have no idea about football im afraid. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Monty13 said:

If Pukki was more clinical, he wouldn’t be playing for us, it’s that simple.

it’s fair to criticise when he has a bad game but people shouldn’t forget that reality.

Well Buendia plays for us and trust me, he is one of the best creators on the planet.   His speed of thought and ability to execute the pass is only surpassed by very few, De Bruyne probably the best.    

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 1

Teemu will go down as one of our best ever strikers no question. Fantastic attitude and ability, and it's no fluke Hugill and Idah haven't had so much of a sniff, accepting of course they managed to get injured just when they were needed earlier in the season.

If we create as many chances next season I'm sure Teemu will hit 20 goals. My only concern is that a suitable replacement or backup required for a higher level isn't yet at the club. 

It seems to me that there is as much ridiculously hysterical kneejerk reaction when you’re top of the league as when you’re at the bottom. In the end though it’s what the manager thinks that counts, not us fans.

Apart from anything else, he's a joy to watch. When he, Emi, Max & now Todd are on it they're incomparable (I also love Onel tearing it up as well, but he's a bit inconsistent). We have developed a style of play (Farkeball being the apotheosis) over recent years which is simply stunning.

10 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

At risk of being called out as "are you even a norwich fan" or "discrediting the club" , its a double edged sword with Pukki.

He's playing in a team who at this level are creating a huge volume of chances for him on a game by game basis , so yes he will score a decent portion , however he does miss chances, and quite a lot ..and in a fair few cases it has to be said sitters and one-on-ones that just wouldnt be associated with a top striker.

He has more than enough credit in the bank but its days like Saturday where he fluffed 4 gilt edged chances...all one on ones which perhaps has meant he hasnt played at a hogher level on his career.

Playing at a level where he could get 6 or 7 good chances in a game and scoring 1 maybe 2 is fine , but in a level such as the premier league , where you may only get 1 or 2 of those chances per game is where the problem is....and invariably he's reliant on the same kind of chances i.e as midfielder sliding in a throughball for him to run onto for a one on one.

If that service isnt there , its not as though he can compensate by scoring different types of goal, we wont see him tap one in from 6 yrds , score a header from a cross or set piece, score a 25 yd screamer..or pick the ball up from deep and beat 2 defenders before scoring.

Its a supply line that the premier league quickly found out last season and cut off.

Ultimately though , he will be looked back in NCFC's history as the man who scored the goals that got this club 2 promotions , which will carve him in folklore

I'm amazed you haven't been 'called out' as you put it, I regularly suffer such criticism if I venture to suggest that anyone (Buendia is current case) is anything less than 'world class' just because they pull on the yellow shirt! Your post is excellent in my humble opinion and the points I've highlighted are very relevant. Nearly all Pukki's goals are cut from the same cloth and when savvy teams get wise they strangle the supply and that's him (and us) stuffed. Fabulous work rate, great pro and seems really humble in interviews. Terrific goal scoring record for us but there's a reason here's doing it at FCR and not at arguably more illustrious clubs and you've pinpointed the reasons.

Last season ('early doors'), the opposition didn't rate us and Pukki was pretty much an unknown save for the 30 goals he bagged for us to fire the promotion charge. As you say that changed by Christmas (admittedly the niggling toe injury didn't help) and we know what happened. Unfortunately, come August, neither us nor Pukki will be a surprise to any opposition and they will home in on our attacking strategy from minute 1. That will be a major challenge for Farke, the team and Pukki to meet. If they do then we stay up. If not then another relegation is on the cards. 

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Well Buendia plays for us and trust me, he is one of the best creators on the planet.   His speed of that and ability to execute the pass is only surpassed by very few, De Bruyne being the best.    

Which is why unfortunately, when he’s Pukki’s age, he won’t be playing for us.

I enjoy every minute of Buendia being on the pitch in yellow and green, but he will move on at some point as he continues to progress.

4 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Every country will have their record scorers...and within those goals will come a percentage scored against countries far weaker than that that would be faced domestically

But surely some of those goals came at a very high level.

22 minutes ago, Justin time said:

But surely some of those goals came at a very high level.

Some but not loads.

The level of international football can vary from being much higher than where we are now to basically non league.

This season he's scored v Bosnia, Ukraine, Bulgaria and Wales. According to Fifa rankings, Wales are the best of those teams. 

I think to claim he's playing at a higher level in international football you'd probably want to see him get a chance to score a few at a major tournament. Unlikely to happen though as the rest of the Finnish team aren't up to much.

14 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

He’s a very good forward, offers goals, is a pain in the backside for defenders, has great movement and works hard for the team..... he gets himself in positions to score so often that he’s definitely good enough to play EPL regularly so it’s hard to criticise him overall.   But it’s been a bizarrre season where we’ve created so many chances yet the finishing has been pretty poor (hence the conversion rate) and why we constantly fail to put games to bed.   Teemu’s been able to get on the end of loads of those chances.... he should be well north of 30 goals by now without a doubt - he will know that.    

So many of these chances are laid on a plate by Emi (partly due to Teemu’s movement / partly Emi’s vision and skill). In the Prem of course you have to take your chances, we (and Teemu particularly) haven’t taken enough of them.    Without Emi though, Teemu’s chances to score will be dramatically reduced!    

He has been slightly less sharp than in 18/19 yeah, but you exaggerate. This year Teemu has outperformed his xG by 1.37 goals. 18/19 he outperformed it by 6.33. So yes if he was in the same form as in 18/19 he could be closing in on 30. But his ability to get into goal scoring opportunities is still just as good if not better than back then. This season teams have been sitting a lot deeper against Norwich and the opposition defence probably does a lot of homework to prevent Teeemu from scoring then they did when he was new to English football. With seven games left if Pukki recaptures the form he has had for the last month or two he can equal his 18/19 goal scoring record with one goal a game.

2018/19 Teemu scored 29 goals from 140 shots-that’s 0.207 goals per shot. He’s had 121 shots this season-at the same rate as 2018/19 he would have scored 25 goals. He’s actually scored 22 so his performance hasn’t diminished by much.

Also, as I pointed out in the match thread, his accuracy-shots on target-has improved this season-56 out of 140, 40% on target in 2018/19, 51 out of 121, 42% on target this season.

• Like 1