Watching Football Focus and watching Keown and Scott is hard work.

What makes a good expert? It's more than just knowledge that needed and I'd argue some don't even have up to date or relevant knowledge.

BBC struggled (in my opinion) really need to have a rethink when it comes to an expert.

Would also add Mark Lawrenson to the list and Ian Wright 

17 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Watching Football Focus and watching Keown and Scott is hard work.

What makes a good expert? It's more than just knowledge that needed and I'd argue some don't even have up to date or relevant knowledge.

They need to know what they are talking about and be able to put that across in a clear and interesting manner, preferably with a bit of humour thrown in now and again. I listen to Radio 5 a lot and Pat Nevin is the best in my opinion. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

They need to know what they are talking about and be able to put that across in a clear and interesting manner, preferably with a bit of humour thrown in now and again. I listen to Radio 5 a lot and Pat Nevin is the best in my opinion. 

Agree.

Another one that makes some sense is Stephen Warnock. He gives his opinion clearly and makes some sense.

I try and give Alex Scott the benefit of the doubt but last week she kept calling the MK Dons, Milton Keynes. I know that's what MK stands for but who in football calls them Milton Keynes.

Karen Carney knows her stuff and is quite natural.

The Beeb have some very good pundits but there are a few like Keown, Crooks, Lawrenson and one or two others who are past their sell by date. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

They must not be elitist though. We all have watched every kind of football and most for enough years to have a fair idea of what we are watching.

I dislike the athletic commentators such as Foster and Cram. Yes we know you won medals and we know its hard training but we are watching for enjoyment not a technical run down.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

They must not be elitist though. We all have watched every kind of football and most for enough years to have a fair idea of what we are watching.

I dislike the athletic commentators such as Foster and Cram. Yes we know you won medals and we know its hard training but we are watching for enjoyment not a technical run down.

That was my thoughts earlier with football, give me more content and less opinions from so called experts.

In all honesty I don't care what they think or say, I'm far more interested in the interviews and stories.

I don't listen to the pundits, I will make a cuppa, get another beer, go to the toilet, switch channels, anything to not listen to the "experts" when a match is on. Since the punditry has become politically correct in it's selection of pundits I won't watch football focus, overpaid people stating the obvious. I have seen and played enough football to make my own mind up.

I see that on Talk Norwich City's Chris Reeve's Twitter bio he describes himself as an NCFC pundit which makes me think we can all be one.

For me the worst is when they put Carragher on commentary (not BBC I know but it makes me consider dark thoughts) 

Under pressure to reduce the amount of taxpayer money they pay to on screen / on air talent and represent more diversity (see: departures of Norton and Evans from their radio shows)

They’re in a right old bind.

39 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I’d put together panel of respected ex internationals, for example, Le tissier, Nicolas, Thompson and Merson, I think that might work well!

I reckon they should just have random fans on drinking and chatting about the game. Same quality as the 'pundits' but 100th the price 

32 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I see that on Talk Norwich City's Chris Reeve's Twitter bio he describes himself as an NCFC pundit which makes me think we can all be one.

an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called upon to give their opinions to the public.

Don't think young Master Reeve fits the bill somehow FF.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called upon to give their opinions to the public.

Don't think young Master Reeve fits the bill somehow FF.

If thats how he sees himself then it explains why a lot of people arent keen on him 

39 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

You can follow him live via video to watch his reactions to the match on YouTube. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You can follow him live via video to watch his reactions to the match on YouTube. 

No thanks !

The real problem, for me, is that there is far too much emphasis on opinions and not enough analysis. It's all incredibly regressive. Ex footballers are not typically very intelligent or interesting. If I could just watch the action with no commentary but still hear the sound of the action, that would be my preference. Same with the highlights. Maybe just a small amount of factual information would be ok.

• Like 1

Just now, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I'm confused, this is a link to watch a guy watch the game to see his reaction?

Oh yes! Not sure if you get a double Reeve treat but it saves £10 or a guilt trip searching dodgy streams. 

2 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Yes, and during the game you can have the benefit of his expert " punditry "

Don’t forget to like it and hit the future notification bell though. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Oh yes! Not sure if you get a double Reeve treat but it saves £10 or a guilt trip searching dodgy streams. 

Can he not just turn his screen around and point in to the game so we can watch it for free 🤔

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to go and dig out a tin of paint from the garage so I could apply some to the wall so I had something better to do 🤷🏻

If you couldn't find any paint watching spiders crawl up a wall also does the trick.

Can he not just turn his screen around and point in to the game so we can watch it for free 🤔

No jack today, just Chris live from his bedroom. 

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

If you couldn't find any paint watching spiders crawl up a wall also does the trick.

Nearly 400 tuning in so far, hope your one of them. Will watch out for your comments. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow