Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The Norwich Boxing day retrospective

I know, I know it's not quite boxing day just yet- But I thought it might be fun to throw together a little flashback to the last decade of all the matches we have played on Boxing day. How many of these do you remember- And were you in attendence of any of them? ☃️

19-20 Aston Villa 1 Norwich 0

18-19 Norwich 3 Nottingham Forest 3 (what a cracker!)

17-18 Birmingham 0 Norwich 2

16-17 Reading 3 Norwich 1

15-16 Spurs 3 Norwich 0 (Unable to find highlights)

14-15 Norwich 6 Millwall 1 (I sure remember this one!)

13-14 Norwich 1 Fulham 2 (Once again sadly unable to find footage)

12-13 Norwich 0 Chelsea 1 (Only footage and not in English but better than nothing right?)

11-12 Norwich 2 QPR 1

10-11 Not on Boxing day this year, on the 28th- But we beat Sheffield United 4-2, although once again no footage

And there we have it folks. Quite the mixed bags, some forgettable results but also quite a few crackers mixed in too.

Merry Christmas one and all!

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Still can’t for the life of me quite work out how we lost that game to Villa last year  (other than them scoring and us not, obvs).

That normally explains it 😀

49 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Still can’t for the life of me quite work out how we lost that game to Villa last year  (other than them scoring and us not, obvs).

And I still have no idea how we lost to former Frank Lampards Derby County TM now Wayne Rooneys Derby county TM earlier this season, but sometimes football is a funny old game

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yep!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My favourite was a 3-2 win at Ipswich with a last minute winner from Martin O'Neill. Can't find footage anywhere 

O’Neill free kick after Peter Mendham had scored twice ?

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

O’Neill free kick after Peter Mendham had scored twice ?

That's right. I can remember one of the Mendham goals. Very good. Shame there's no footage anymore 

There were no highlights (from a Norwich perspective) of the 3-0 defeat at Spurs but the highlight of the day for me was nipping to Oxford Street after the game to but the latest version of Football Manager 🤣

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That's right. I can remember one of the Mendham goals. Very good. Shame there's no footage anymore 

my first away game 🙂

Edit - just looked it up, it was played on Monday 27th December, rather than boxing day itself. We played again the next day, Luton at home, won 1-0

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’d seen that but wondered about the goal times, a lot happened at 90 minutes plus? 

I went to that game. It was amazing but I don't remember the Coventry goals being that late. We stood on the open end and Ryan had his penalty saved in front of us. 

21 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My favourite was a 3-2 win at Ipswich with a last minute winner from Martin O'Neill. Can't find footage anywhere 

I've been to 3 away league games in my life and that was one of them. How I came to be there I have no idea, but I do remember how satisfying it was to beat them, especially on their home turf. It didn't happen that often in those days.

Norwich vs Ipswich, Boxing Day 1978.

Ah, now that was an interesting match...or so I was told!

Unfortunately I was hauled out of the Barclay before kickoff. It’s a long story, involving a thrown firework and a new Christmas mohair jumper and the afternoon spent in Bethel Street police station 😮

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

@Midlands Yellow @dylanisabaddog   Can you both please post what you remember about Ryan's 'missed' penalty?    Was it saved by their 'keeper, denied by woodwork or missed target altogether? 

This is not a test, or trick q, this is for my interest.

Thanks!

Very decent save by Jim Blyth. 

• Thanks 1

We always seemed to be away at QPR in the 90s. I went to 3 I think and Charlton away too. Don’t remember much about any of them other than the Charlton game where Keith O’Neill got stud marks down his thigh and perhaps got sent off as well. My wife enjoyed the sight of him showing off the top of his thigh to the referee.

3 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

@Midlands Yellow @dylanisabaddog   Can you both please post what you remember about Ryan's 'missed' penalty?    Was it saved by their 'keeper, denied by woodwork or missed target altogether? 

This is not a test, or trick q, this is for my interest.

Thanks!

John Ryan hit the ball harder than anyone I've seen apart from perhaps Graham Paddon. He hit it very hard to the keepers right. The keeper got a fist to it and it went out for a throw in. Not sure if it touched the ground. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

John Ryan hit the ball harder than anyone I've seen apart from perhaps Graham Paddon. He hit it very hard to the keepers right. The keeper got a fist to it and it went out for a throw in. Not sure if it touched the ground. 

I think Milne and Bond just told their players to just go for it and don’t worry about defending. I can still picture both teams chomping at the bit in advanced positions when the 2nd half started.