cambridgeshire canary

'Cantwell missed swansea but is available for tommorow'

I think it’s definitely a generation thing if people think young footballers should stay off Twitter. Maybe this form of interaction is too late in life for them to ‘get it’, I don’t know.

Times have changed, and with a decent chunk of the more appealing footballers earnings being made via sponsorship such as Todd’s deal with Puma for instance, then it’s a necessity whether people like it or not to promote the brand. Doesn’t mean it’s right they should have to receive dogs abuse though, and no one should make excuses for it either, which staggeringly has happened.

Time to move with the times 💡

Edited by Alex Moss
Replaced a missing word!
  • Like 1

"So if you spend too much time on twitter you are "asking for it" then?"

There must be some logical progression in that argument, but I am at a loss to fathom it.

I think that most, whatever generation, know the role of social media in society as a whole these days so little lectures about it's importance to the young of today are hardly needed, even ones that strangely equate it to rock and roll. 

I nevertheless accept your argument:

Edited by BroadstairsR

28 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"So if you spend too much time on twitter you are "asking for it" then?"

There must be some logical progression in that argument, but I am at a loss to fathom it.

I think that most, whatever generation, know the role of social media in society as a whole these days so little lectures about it's importance to the young of today are hardly needed, even ones that strangely equate it to rock and roll. 

I nevertheless accept your argument:

I honestly cannot see anything wrong with that collage of pictures, Broady? 

I agree, although they do seem designed to provoke a reaction and are probably a bit immature considering that he's 23 next birthday (same age as Marcus Rashford, MBE.)

The point is that TC finds himself in a maelstrom of controversy, for one reason or another.

He may or may not like the attention, who knows?  Some people like to continually post attention seeking  pictures of themselves in the public domain after all. Beats me why though as they are apparently not "asking for" a reaction of any kind.

I don't do twitter much, although it is a million miles away from being the preserve of the young. The one-liner thing puts me off. I prefer to be long-winded.

Edited by BroadstairsR

11 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I think it’s definitely a generation thing if people think young footballers should stay off Twitter. Maybe this form of interaction is too late in life for them to ‘get it’, I don’t know.

Times have changed, and with a decent chunk of the more appealing footballers earnings being made via sponsorship such as Todd’s deal with Puma for instance, then it’s a necessity whether people like it or not to promote the brand. Doesn’t mean it’s right they should have to receive dogs abuse though, and no one should make excuses for it either, which staggeringly has happened.

Time to move with the times 💡

I'm not having that.  As an old fogey of 64, my years of experience have taught me that the best thing to do with anything "modern" is to try and take the good from it and avoid the pitfalls that may be there with it.  Younger people do not have that experience and often have to find out the hard way about the good and bad in anything.  Some will learn quickly, some will fall into the traps and find it very difficult to escape from those traps. Some see the bad side of it as an opportunity to exploit others and boost their own inadequencies by abusing the invention.  You can apply that to almost anything - drink/drugs/weapons/gambling/internet/social media - you name it and some will experiment with it, some will take it on in a positive way and learn from it and some will just abuse it.

As far as footballers and social media they are - imo - best to just get off it, or at least restrict their use of it to the barest minimum - a footballer needs to be 100% focussed on football and all the rest of it - branding/image/ego boosting etc etc - is just a distraction from what they ought to be doing and living 100% for football.  If that seems old fashioned, then maybe that is because it is - but it is good advice - there always were a lot of distractions in life before twitter and the internet, but with all the other distractions still there and then added to by the monster of the mobile phone/internet/social media revolution, there has to be some self restraint, otherwise the huge potential for distractions will quite likely get in the way of what you are trying to achieve in life.

And as for "branding" - that is just a modern term for "exploiting".  All you have to do is keep fit, keep your head down, use any fame in a positive way to give to community through charity events, visiting those less well off etc etc - and your "brand" will take care of itself.  Fall into the social media trap and if you are not careful it will consume you.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

The continuing controversy that seems to surround him hasn't been created out of nothing.

As  you edited...

It largely has, actually. It started with the promotion season, and I believe there were comments by Farke and others about it. It continued into the premier league season when people said he was crap and wouldn't cut it and it has blown up this season into diabolical proportions by the same people mainly.

Farke said he and Buendia both lacked focus due to being distracted by transfer speculation. That wasn't at the start of the season, he started the season well. In fact, I believe Buendia had been out injured prior to that. Buendia hasn't come in for anything like the same criticism.

Cantwell then gets all of these wonderful fantasies made up about him, how he isn't training hard enough, how he wants out, how he is far too distracted with this high life of a footballer. Then you get comments like "he needs a good hair cut" and stuff about caring less about his appearance and more about his football and alice bands etc. You also get a bunch of oldies banging on about social media and how he has said this that and the other, when actually he hasn't.

So actually, yes, it has come largely out of nothing. The only actual thing we know for sure, as in FACT, is what Farke said which was a lack of focus. That's it. And in fairness to Farke he has even said that focus is back but set that up with one week wasn't enough to prove it is back for good so he needs to keep it up.

Again, as Hogesar so eloquently puts it, why go through all of that to then lie about an injury that's kept him out for 3-4 weeks now?

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm not having that.  As an old fogey of 64, my years of experience have taught me that the best thing to do with anything "modern" is to try and take the good from it and avoid the pitfalls that may be there with it.  Younger people do not have that experience and often have to find out the hard way about the good and bad in anything.  Some will learn quickly, some will fall into the traps and find it very difficult to escape from those traps. Some see the bad side of it as an opportunity to exploit others and boost their own inadequencies by abusing the invention.  You can apply that to almost anything - drink/drugs/weapons/gambling/internet/social media - you name it and some will experiment with it, some will take it on in a positive way and learn from it and some will just abuse it.

As far as footballers and social media they are - imo - best to just get off it, or at least restrict their use of it to the barest minimum - a footballer needs to be 100% focussed on football and all the rest of it - branding/image/ego boosting etc etc - is just a distraction from what they ought to be doing and living 100% for football.  If that seems old fashioned, then maybe that is because it is - but it is good advice - there always were a lot of distractions in life before twitter and the internet, but with all the other distractions still there and then added to by the monster of the mobile phone/internet/social media revolution, there has to be some self restraint, otherwise the huge potential for distractions will quite likely get in the way of what you are trying to achieve in life.

.  Fall into the social media trap and if you are not careful it will consume you.

Sorry, Lakey - but all that has done has only reinforced my views that a lot of the older generation really do not get it at all.

‘And as for "branding" - that is just a modern term for "exploiting".  All you have to do is keep fit, keep your head down, use any fame in a positive way to give to community through charity events, visiting those less well off etc etc - and your "brand" will take care of itself’

🤦🏻‍♂️

He’s being PAID by a sportswear company to promote THEIR BRAND, not HIMSELF. Wake up man!

For the record, I believe it was Todd that led the Club initiative to contact the vulnerable and lonely supporters during the first lockdown with a series of phone calls. 

All the points I quoted regarding you completely getting the wrong end of the stick thinking it’s about self promotion are just wrong. For what it’s worth, I have no doubt that he try’s to achieve all of those points. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I agree, although they do seem designed to provoke a reaction and are probably a bit immature considering that he's 23 next birthday.

The point is that TC finds himself in a maelstrom of controversy, for one reason or another.

He may or may not like the attention, who knows?  Some people like to continually post attention seeking  pictures of themselves in the public domain after all. Beats me why though as they are apparently not "asking for" a reaction of any kind.

I don't do twitter much, although it is a million miles away from being the preserve of the young. The one-liner thing puts me off. I prefer to be long-winded.

I don’t get that at all.

Provoke what reaction exactly? 

It’s a 22 year old lad promoting a sportswear brand in a completely harmless fashion?! There is nothing remotely offensive or stick poking about that collage of pictures at all. He’s a good looking lad and that’s what brands tend to look for when it comes to selling their product. There will be young lads that look up to him, and girls that fancy him, and you know what, modelling has long been used to make a company a buck.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chicken said:

As  you edited...

It largely has, actually. It started with the promotion season, and I believe there were comments by Farke and others about it. It continued into the premier league season when people said he was crap and wouldn't cut it and it has blown up this season into diabolical proportions by the same people mainly.

Farke said he and Buendia both lacked focus due to being distracted by transfer speculation. That wasn't at the start of the season, he started the season well. In fact, I believe Buendia had been out injured prior to that. Buendia hasn't come in for anything like the same criticism.

Cantwell then gets all of these wonderful fantasies made up about him, how he isn't training hard enough, how he wants out, how he is far too distracted with this high life of a footballer. Then you get comments like "he needs a good hair cut" and stuff about caring less about his appearance and more about his football and alice bands etc. You also get a bunch of oldies banging on about social media and how he has said this that and the other, when actually he hasn't.

So actually, yes, it has come largely out of nothing. The only actual thing we know for sure, as in FACT, is what Farke said which was a lack of focus. That's it. And in fairness to Farke he has even said that focus is back but set that up with one week wasn't enough to prove it is back for good so he needs to keep it up.

Again, as Hogesar so eloquently puts it, why go through all of that to then lie about an injury that's kept him out for 3-4 weeks now?

It's been quite a while since we had the full-on Accidental Partridge sanctimony lecture from Lakey. I was worried he was losing his edge.

• Haha 2

@AM

Didn't actually realise that he was promoting a sports brand. It's ok then. It's an advert after all.

Thought he was just showing off. Perhaps I should have selected some other photos from his portfolio. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

19 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

It may be a maelstrom, but in a relatively small pond.  Outside of Norfolk, maybe only Norfolk based social media, can I offer that his current position makes no waves whatsoever. 

In Sheffield for instance Cantwell is only known for what happens to him on the pitch.  And that is generally as a diver with a ridiculous hairstyle for a top footballer (although they think he was the player most likely to change things for Norwich last season). 

The club's bullying piece didn't strike me as Cantwell being particularly perturbed by the haters; I think he is savvy enough that it is part of the role he has taken.  

Whatever your opinions concerning Cantwell and his social media shenaningans.  Must realise he needs to be integrated in the team as he is an important goal threat and given the shortage of fit strikers Todd is one we could shoehorn into a striking role as Hugill doubtful and Pukki will be unable to do it all by himself.

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

@AM

Didn't actually realise that he was promoting a sports brand. It's ok then. It's an advert after all.

Thought he was just showing off. Perhaps I should have selected some other photos from his portfolio. 

That’s fair enough, Broady - just thought you’d have picked up on that but if it wasn’t mentioned before your post, then I understand 👍

It does go to show though, and it’s a good example, that sometimes we shouldn’t be too quick to judge 😉

Though, sadly, and you have been reasonable now you recognise it, there will be others that will use an entirely innocuous picture to use as ammo. They have something wrong with themselves I’m sad to say.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:
13 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

That’s fair enough, Broady - just thought you’d have picked up on that but if it wasn’t mentioned before your post, then I understand 👍

How are people supposed to know it's an advert?  It looks like a collection of poses that are there for who knows what......no good promoting something if people don't know what it is......

Fair point.

Although it seems acceptable for 'celebrities' to make idiots of themselves in adverts, and although he did have a mentor in this respect when Delia became "turkey of the week" when promoting EE with Kevin Bacon, TC could have made a better job of the promotion.

As it is it's difficult to decide whether those pictures are meant to promote  Puma (?) football boots or Todd Cantwell; or from the look of those boots Bird's Strawberry Trifle.

Edited by BroadstairsR

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

How are people supposed to know it's an advert?  It looks like a collection of poses that are there for who knows what......no good promoting something if people don't know what it is......

I don't think the boots were intended for people of your (or my) age to recognise and want but I am sure many younger supporters would know.

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Fair point.

Although it seems acceptable for 'celebrities' to make idiots of themselves in adverts, and although he did have a mentor in this respect when Delia became "turkey of the week" when promoting EE with Kevin Bacon, TC could have made a better job of the promotion.

As it is it's difficult to decide whether those pictures are meant to promote  Puma (?) football boots or Todd Cantwell.

Of course its acceptable  for celebrities or anyone for that matter to make idiots of themselves( its called fun)  ...and If they get paid for it, well, so much the better.....where's the harm? I very much doubt Todd missed a training session when he had those photos taken.  

In answer to you question  as to what is being promoted...its both the boots and Todd.

When other sports  catch up with the financial  side if footy, dont be surprised to see some up and coming golferist / Tenniserist / Cricketerist making a fool if himself in order to promote himself and some product.

32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The best sort of advertising is the sort that people dont instantly recognise as advertising.  I'd have thought someone as worldly wise as you Lakeyo would know that.

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

The Puma on the boots is the main clue.😘

Wasn't particularly looking for clues but then I'd prefer Bird's Strawberry Trifle in any case.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

Wasn't particularly looking for clues but then I'd prefer Bird's Strawberry Trifle in any case.

You'd  prefer Birds Strawberry  Trifle on Todd's boots? Very odd.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

You'd  prefer Birds Strawberry  Trifle on Todd's boots? Very odd.

Wasn't that what he'd dipped them in before making the advert?

As Sheff. pointed out, it's a small pond.

These things cost £180 a pair as well. 

I wouldn't expect to see many of them on the playing fields of Eaton, sublimimal advertisiing or not, Todd Cantwell covered in Puma slogans or not.

The sales of Birds Strawberry Trifle might well increase substantially in the supermarkets of Hellesdon as a result of this promotion though.

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

As Sheff. pointed out, it's a small pond.

These things cost £180 a pair as well. 

I wouldn't expect to see many of them on the playing fields of Eaton, sublimimal advertisiing or not, Todd Cantwell covered in Puma slogans or not.

The sales of Birds Strawberry Trifle might well increase substantially in the supermarkets of Hellesdon as a result of this promotion though.

I think you'll find that the colour scheme of those boots is known as Rhubarb and Custard Broado.

The only people criticising Todd Cantwell are the ones who don't understand social media or know about it's place in the life of some  people - you don't have to be young to understand that; it's really not an age thing. I am staggered at the ignorance shown on here. As in all such situations, criticism from the ignorant should itself be ignored, and I sincerely hope that Todd Cantwell pays it absolutely no attention whatsoever.

• Like 2

Rhubarb and custard eh?

Well at least  they're  better than Albert Bennett's white books which, I recall causing a stir back then.

Edited by BroadstairsR

12 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The only people criticising Todd Cantwell are the ones who don't understand social media or know about it's place in the life of some  people - you don't have to be young to understand that; it's really not an age thing. I am staggered at the ignorance shown on here. As in all such situations, criticism from the ignorant should itself be ignored, and I sincerely hope that Todd Cantwell pays it absolutely no attention whatsoever.

Oh dear.

Methinks he took it all seriously.

I couldn't care a less where Todd Cantwell chooses to exhibit his or somebody else's brand as long as he exhibits his footballing skills on the field of play and on behalf of Norwich City.

Nothing to do with ignorance of social media. It's not or ever will be rocket science. Trivia for the most part more like. That some need to live by it is their choice.

Edited by BroadstairsR

9 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Rhubarb and custard eh?

Well at least  they're  better than Albert Bennett's white books which, I recall causing a stir back then.

Progress  then , I can see you sporting  a pair of Rhubarb and Custard Golferist boots next time you lot are allowed out into the  open air, you'll be the talk of the 19th ....imagine !!