Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

City’s penalty

You're allowed to do that in the run-up, what you can't do is stop after the run-up and feint the kick.

I also thought it would have to be retaken - it seemed to me like Hugill halted both midway and at the end of his run up and I thought halting at the end of the run up was banned. Watched it on iFollow and when he played the ball the Rotherham keeper already looked to be halfway down 

He basically told the keeper to sit down whilst he stuck it in the other corner. Nifty. That said, I much prefer the ol' Julian **** or Stuart Pearce special. Just smack the bloody leather off it.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Was half expecting it to be disallowed, massive stutter during the run in, I thought they had barred this

I thought they had as well but I think it falls into the same category as handball and offside nowadays, i.e. they just make it up as they go along - in case of the Premier League they make up in a studio miles away from the ground whilst everybody else stands around twiddling their thumbs - complete farce. At least in the Champs the ref makes the decision on the spot, and right or wrong, its job done.

Must admit that until last season I thought most of our refs were pretty useless but after a season of watching VAR make massively delayed and still ludicrously wrong decisions then I'm perfectly happy to leave it to match ref.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

He basically told the keeper to sit down whilst he stuck it in the other corner. Nifty. That said, I much prefer the ol' Julian **** or Stuart Pearce special. Just smack the bloody leather off it.

That Pearce one vs Spain in the Euros was absolutely brilliant 

A clever penalty which is most unlike NCFC.  Hugill practices them also not like City usually badly hit near the keeper 1 scored out of 9 in 2018/9.  The stutter sent keeper to go down early but didn't stop in run up so a good goal.  Hugill body language prior to pen deceived keeper and he dived to his left.  Penalty takers of the past have failed to send keeper wrong way, Wes always telegraphed his penalties by the way he run up to the ball, Pukki's easily read as well. 

The ref was talking to him as they moved back up the field for the kick off after the penalty, so he may have said something then.

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

That Pearce one vs Spain in the Euros was absolutely brilliant 

Considering the speed of a decent hit and reaction times, there's not a lot to hitting a good penalty. Just pick your side and absolutely smash it.

23 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I hate all this messing about with penalties. Just smack it

Could smash it over the bar if you just smack it mate 

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Considering the speed of a decent hit and reaction times, there's not a lot to hitting a good penalty. Just pick your side and absolutely smash it.

I was always taught, pick your corner, hit it hard and low. Not done me a dis-service, but I don’t face good keepers 😂

Regarding the penalty against Idah, I've just watched the highlights & Robertson's got his hands all over Adam - holding his neck at one point - not even looking at the ball, finally tangling his arm through Adam's, which led to the trip.

Reminded me of a certain Mr. Holt, late of this parish. Adam will hopefully learn from this though & not be suckered into similar situations in future.

3 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Could smash it over the bar if you just smack it mate 

Aye, but if you're planting a free, unpressured shot on goal from 12 yards out over a crossbar that's 8ft off the ground from the underside of the bar to the ground when you're winding it up and caning it, your technique is badly letting you down.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2020 at 23:22, TheGunnShow said:

Aye, but if you're planting a free, unpressured shot on goal from 12 yards out over a crossbar that's 8ft off the ground from the underside of the bar to the ground when you're winding it up and caning it, your technique is badly letting you down.

Haha very true I've missed you before trying to smash it and ended up scuffing it 🤣🤣 #grassrootsfootball

30 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Haha very true I've missed you before trying to smash it and ended up scuffing it 🤣🤣 #grassrootsfootball

That was on a good day. Sometimes I'd totally miss the ****.

• Haha 1