Sign in to follow this  
City fan

The future.

What are people's view of the post covid new world? 

Signs of the future can be seen, in my opinion, of the total PR disaster from the premiership regarding pay to view. 

Will football, whether it's the premiership or football league, return to what it was before the pandemic. 

Edited by City fan
Add

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

October 2037 Todd Cantwell breaks Kevin Keelan's appearance record 😆

And LDC is outraged after Cantwell causes significant disruption to our pre-match preparations by shaving off what’s left of his receding hairline only two days before a game day...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The future of football in monetary terms outside the premiership (which is largely insulated by the Sky money) is hugely dependent on the return of crowds. 

It is conceivable that crowd restrictions run this year and maybe even into next year.

If this is the case many clubs will go broke.

Player values will plummet.

There will be a denouement in the football world- on the one hand supporters will demand government help for their clubs and on the other hand the amount of money players and their agents take from football will be put into the spotlight. 

How can a government subsidize an industry whose millionaire employees are insulated from the financial effects of Covid19 when football fans and their clubs are decimated by it? 

The injustice that has built up in football over many years, where players take more money than their club generates will be front and centre of this discussion. 

The matters related to FFP will be amplified by events. Players and their agents have a huge role to play in changing this and in saving their clubs from insolvency. Indeed the whole industry is overdue a fundamental reform.

Whilst Covid19 will create havoc in Football and disaster for some there is the hope that it may also be the start of a process of reform that will benefit the game in terms of long term sustainability.

Edited by Bonzo
  • Like 1

We will go back to the old handball rule where it’s only handball if there is intent and arms coming out of human shoulders will be deemed ‘natural’.  

No one will ‘have a right to go down’ to collapse to the ground for the slightest touch (Jordan Henderson / Eric Lamela).  It will be deemed what it is ‘blatant cheating’ and punishable by 2 weeks in Broadmoor!

As if!   The game is lost..... no coming back from this... no one has the decency and bravery to stop it.    Fans are already turning off!    

I think the Government will intervene and bring pressure to bear on the PL to release significant funds to allow the lower leagues to survive both in the short and long term. At the moment the PL is still a cozy club, particularly the long standing members, the threat of a public review into governance arrangements, who is a fit and proper person to run a club and potential windfall tax for the benefit of other  clubs down the food would frighten the clubs owners to death

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 17:12, City fan said:

What are people's view of the post covid new world? 

Signs of the future can be seen, in my opinion, of the total PR disaster from the premiership regarding pay to view. 

Will football, whether it's the premiership or football league, return to what it was before the pandemic. 

I expect at some point, clubs, especially EFL clubs will take things into their own hands and create broadcasting platforms of their own to sell on their own games. They'll sell them like season tickets and match day tickets. So you'll have pay per view or a season price.

In all honesty, I would buy into that. One reason I have never bothered for Sky or BT is that for the most part I am only interested in watching my team play. I don't see why I should pay out monthly to watch a game or two if I'm lucky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I think the Government will intervene and bring pressure to bear on the PL to release significant funds to allow the lower leagues to survive both in the short and long term. At the moment the PL is still a cozy club, particularly the long standing members, the threat of a public review into governance arrangements, who is a fit and proper person to run a club and potential windfall tax for the benefit of other  clubs down the food would frighten the clubs owners to death

I really hope this happens, I really do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chicken said:

I really hope this happens, I really do. 

There are many many tools in the Government box if they want to get nasty to "persuade" the PL to do the decent thing, increasing the level of tax on transfers over and above a certain amount say £20m and above would be a good start, looking at whether it is actually in the public interest to allow a monopoly decision on sports rights on TV may be another, in the post Brexit world  making it difficult to get work permits for overseas players and managers, having detailed scrutiny of tax and allowable expenses by clubs, who is a fit and proper person to own or have controlling interests in top clubs, a few foreign owners may twitch with the detailed scrutiny here, bringing pressure on broadcasters etc etc, it may be in the end the PL need a good talking to down a dark ally to persuade them what is in their and best interests