Jump to content
Herman

Small Claim To Fame.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

One thing that I've just remembered is that I was in the Norwich programme when I was just three weeks old, as I was the youngest 'Junior Canary' at the time. That's a claim to fame, right?

Sorry Wacky, close but no cigar - Prince Andrew got his girlfriend in there when she was 2 weeks old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When living on Essex I used to see Trevor brooking most mornings in the paper shop in Brentwood also frank bruno at a local park , met Steve Davis fishing on the parks lake and met joey Essex an unforgettable experience ! Oh yes and met glen roader with his family out for a walk after his time with city , nice chap chatted about his time at city he thought he did ok and enjoyed his spell with us . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2020 at 12:35, PurpleCanary said:

My cricket team was on a tour in Nottingham (OK, alcohol was involved too) and Ken Clarke and his wife walked into the pub where we were having lunch, and he nodded to us.

What Notts teams did you play against on tour, Purple?

In terms of claims to fame, I once had a pie with Iwan Roberts but that’s about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Someone who mentioned Doctor Who just reminded me of the time I ended up going for a beer with someone from Only Fools And Horses. My friend, Anneke Wills, was in Doctor Who in the 60’s and she had many friends in the acting industry. She knew I loved OFAH, and she told me that she was good friends with Roger Lloyd-Pack (Trigger) and his wife, and I thought little more of it. A year or two later, I’m at home and playing my drums one sunny Dorset summers afternoon. By chance, I take my headphones off and at that moment I can hear someone knocking on my front door. I go downstairs open the front door, and there is Anneke. ‘Fancy a drink down the local?’ she said grinning as usual, and as I was going through quite a big Keith Moon and John Bonham phase, that was like a red rag to a bull ha ha. As I turn to start walking down the pub, she says ‘hang on!, there’s someone walking down the road that wants to meet you!’. As I turn around expecting to see the police, I can make out a tall chap walking down with a lady. My eyesight isn’t great at the best of times, but as they approach I suddenly realise it’s Trigger! I was a bit taken a back but managed to ‘play it cool, Trig’ and greeted him and his wife, and the 4 of us walked down into the pub. I won’t ever forget the look on some of the locals faces when we walked in there, Roger was obviously one of the most loved faces in TV history. Roger I quickly realised was a shy chap and only settled down once people respected his privacy and stopped asking for autographs. He was a lovely chap, a really genuinely nice and modest man, and we talked about all sorts of things over a few ales, and of course Only Fools And Horses. Him and his wife lived somewhere in either Norfolk or Suffolk but I can’t remember where it was, I think the Kings Lynn area, but he clearly loved living there and using the local market as much as possible, both him and his wife loved the quiet life away from the madness of showbiz. On our way back from the pub I offered a cup of tea at mine to relax after the madness, which was a bit surreal, and we all went in for a cuppa and further chat. I can remember putting the kettle on in the kitchen and pinching myself, thinking, WTF, f***ing Trigger is sat in my front room ha ha. Remembering I had every Only Fools And Horses DVD released, at the right moment, I gave him a copy and asked if he would sign it. I got more than I bargained for as he signed every single OFAH DVD I had. I was quite surprised at this as in the pub he’d politely refused autographs, not because he was up himself, far far from it, just I think he was too humble for that sort of thing, and was very shy when approached. Also he didn’t particularly warm to the ‘over the top’ landlord. Didn’t stop me asking though 🤦🏻‍♂️, but I got lucky. A really smashing chap, and it was a privilege to share his and his wife’s company for the afternoon, it was with great sadness that he died from cancer not so long after. RIP ‘Trig’, you definitely played it cool 👍🏼

492D0BD2-412A-48E6-A87F-EE3F9B5C0D1A.jpeg

"Trigger" had a place in the Village of Hindolveston...... (North Norfolk District).....  😉   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Aggy said:

What Notts teams did you play against on tour, Purple?

In terms of claims to fame, I once had a pie with Iwan Roberts but that’s about it. 

This was more than 20 years ago, Aggy! Can't remember. These were just local teams (from memory we lost both matches). That said, our hotel was quite close to Trent Bridge and apparently much used by the first-class umpires, and one of them (still alive so I will leave out the name) was staying there and was in the non-distancing company of a young lady who may not have been his wife...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

"Trigger" had a place in the Village of Hindolveston...... (North Norfolk District).....  😉   

Ah, thank you for that, Mello! Now that rings a bell, we talked about Dereham, Kings Lynn, Norwich, all sorts! I can’t for the devil in me remember exactly what was said but he mentioned something about Delia and Kings Lynn, but unfortunately I can’t remember the connecting story, I’m sure it had something to do with markets rather than football! Take care buddy 👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ah, thank you for that, Mello! Now that rings a bell, we talked about Dereham, Kings Lynn, Norwich, all sorts! I can’t for the devil in me remember exactly what was said but he mentioned something about Delia and Kings Lynn, but unfortunately I can’t remember the connecting story, I’m sure it had something to do with markets rather than football! Take care buddy 👍🏼

Roger was regularly seen out and about around Holt......that's the Norfolk Town (not Gary or Grant).... 🙂 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Someone who mentioned Doctor Who just reminded me of the time I ended up going for a beer with someone from Only Fools And Horses. My friend, Anneke Wills, was in Doctor Who in the 60’s and she had many friends in the acting industry. She knew I loved OFAH, and she told me that she was good friends with Roger Lloyd-Pack (Trigger) and his wife, and I thought little more of it. A year or two later, I’m at home and playing my drums one sunny Dorset summers afternoon. By chance, I take my headphones off and at that moment I can hear someone knocking on my front door. I go downstairs open the front door, and there is Anneke. ‘Fancy a drink down the local?’ she said grinning as usual, and as I was going through quite a big Keith Moon and John Bonham phase, that was like a red rag to a bull ha ha. As I turn to start walking down the pub, she says ‘hang on!, there’s someone walking down the road that wants to meet you!’. As I turn around expecting to see the police, I can make out a tall chap walking down with a lady. My eyesight isn’t great at the best of times, but as they approach I suddenly realise it’s Trigger! I was a bit taken a back but managed to ‘play it cool, Trig’ and greeted him and his wife, and the 4 of us walked down into the pub. I won’t ever forget the look on some of the locals faces when we walked in there, Roger was obviously one of the most loved faces in TV history. Roger I quickly realised was a shy chap and only settled down once people respected his privacy and stopped asking for autographs. He was a lovely chap, a really genuinely nice and modest man, and we talked about all sorts of things over a few ales, and of course Only Fools And Horses. Him and his wife lived somewhere in either Norfolk or Suffolk but I can’t remember where it was, I think the Kings Lynn area, but he clearly loved living there and using the local market as much as possible, both him and his wife loved the quiet life away from the madness of showbiz. On our way back from the pub I offered a cup of tea at mine to relax after the madness, which was a bit surreal, and we all went in for a cuppa and further chat. I can remember putting the kettle on in the kitchen and pinching myself, thinking, WTF, f***ing Trigger is sat in my front room ha ha. Remembering I had every Only Fools And Horses DVD released, at the right moment, I gave him a copy and asked if he would sign it. I got more than I bargained for as he signed every single OFAH DVD I had. I was quite surprised at this as in the pub he’d politely refused autographs, not because he was up himself, far far from it, just I think he was too humble for that sort of thing, and was very shy when approached. Also he didn’t particularly warm to the ‘over the top’ landlord. Didn’t stop me asking though 🤦🏻‍♂️, but I got lucky. A really smashing chap, and it was a privilege to share his and his wife’s company for the afternoon, it was with great sadness that he died from cancer not so long after. RIP ‘Trig’, you definitely played it cool 👍🏼

492D0BD2-412A-48E6-A87F-EE3F9B5C0D1A.jpeg

"Only Fools" was never a big favourite of mine but Roger seems to have been a really nice bloke from your encounter with him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been friends with the daughter of London cabby and Mastermind 1980 champion Fred Housego for many years. A few of us were round his house once watching the England v Republic of Ireland match in the 1988 Euros. I seem to recall that he was supporting ROI. He made himself a huge plate of cheese and onion sandwiches during the game. His taste in music left a lot to be desired.

Edited by Mr Angry
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2020 at 23:25, Mr Angry said:

My wife and I went to Herts County show sometime in the 90s with our 2 dogs. She went to the toilet and while I was waiting outside with the dogs, Dave Lee Travis came by and admired them-can’t remember exactly what he said.

We saw Jonathan King lurking about at a Pixies gig, trying to blend in in a lime green shell suit. 😟

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Two restaurant ones for you .

Sat next to a table with Maureen Lipman on . She proceeded to be absolutely foul to a young waitress . Which I wasn’t expecting.

Sat next to a table with Su Pollard on (Hi de Hi) . She proceeded to be absolutely bloody hilarious . Which I wasn’t expecting either .

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My claim to fame is Hitler related.

But some minor ones before we get to that.

In the early 80's lived next door to Adam Ant in Hertfordshire. He used to drink in the local village pub, as did photographer David Bailey. We used to tell Bailey not to come in unless he brought some of his dolly-bird models with him. He never did.

Also in the 80's my mates and I gatecrashed a Cambridge May Ball at Caius College and met Mick Jagger. Mick found it really funny when we started to take the p!ss out of Vivian Stanshall of Bonzo Dog fame who was also there. Neil Innes was a pretty cool guy.

I had a punch up with Edgar Broughton of the Edgar Broughton band when he was performing on stage. They abandoned the performance and took to the dressing room.

When I worked in Munich in the 90's I used to have an after-work beer with some of the local lads and naturally after a while the conversation got around to the war. I asked if there were any N azis of note still living in the area and they told me that Leni Reifenstahl, Hitler's movie propagandist, was still living in Starnberg just outside of Munich.

So I did some research, found her address, bought a box of English Tea as a gift and went down to knock on her door. I found the house but it was behind a locked gate. I rang the bell and a few moments later Ms. Reifenstahl came walking down the path. It was a bit cheeky of me but I said I was in the area and had brought her a small gift. She said she didn't take visitors but she took my English tea anyway. We shook hands and she went back inside her house. And that was that.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herman said:

We saw Jonathan King lurking about at a Pixies gig, trying to blend in in a lime green shell suit. 😟

One degree of separation with you too then Hermano. I described my 'run in'  with him in an earlier post on this  thread. I found him unpleasant,  and that was before I learned of his activities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

One degree of separation with you too then Hermano. I described my 'run in'  with him in an earlier post on this  thread. I found him unpleasant,  and that was before I learned of his activities. 

This was early 90s and he must have had an iffy vibe about him because most were trying to avoid him.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Herman said:

This was early 90s and he must have had an iffy vibe about him because most were trying to avoid him.😀

Yep, my sisters all used to say he was creepy, in the seventies I recall.  Just from seeing him in the telly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yep, my sisters all used to say he was creepy, in the seventies I recall.  Just from seeing him in the telly. 

A complete opposite reaction was to Rolf Harris. He was mobbed as he drove through Glastonbury. A few years later his car would have been mobbed for different reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Herman said:

A complete opposite reaction was to Rolf Harris. He was mobbed as he drove through Glastonbury. A few years later his car would have been mobbed for different reasons.

Jimmy Savile had the privilege of meeting me back in the late 1960s. He had the most sunken cheekbones of anyone I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jimmy Savile had the privilege of meeting me back in the late 1960s. He had the most sunken cheekbones of anyone I've ever seen.

Did he have a "creepy vibe" about him  or was he just seen as a bit eccentric?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Herman said:

A complete opposite reaction was to Rolf Harris. He was mobbed as he drove through Glastonbury. A few years later his car would have been mobbed for different reasons.

When I was a kid I thought Rolf Harris was amazing, his paintings blew  me away. He was interesting, talented and funny, I was as disappointed with him as I was with Gary Glitter , boyhood heroes. 

 The Stranglers dudnt release  ' No more heroes ' till late  seventies. Could have done with that advice ten years earlier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Herman said:

Did he have a "creepy vibe" about him  or was he just seen as a bit eccentric?

He fixed it for Purple

Edited by Van wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Herman said:

Did he have a "creepy vibe" about him  or was he just seen as a bit eccentric?

Well based on much later knowledge it prompted me to formulate a theory on the relation between moral degeneracy and the lack of prominence of cheekbones...🤓

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

My claim to fame is Hitler related.

But some minor ones before we get to that.

In the early 80's lived next door to Adam Ant in Hertfordshire. He used to drink in the local village pub, as did photographer David Bailey. We used to tell Bailey not to come in unless he brought some of his dolly-bird models with him. He never did.

Also in the 80's my mates and I gatecrashed a Cambridge May Ball at Caius College and met Mick Jagger. Mick found it really funny when we started to take the p!ss out of Vivian Stanshall of Bonzo Dog fame who was also there. Neil Innes was a pretty cool guy.

I had a punch up with Edgar Broughton of the Edgar Broughton band when he was performing on stage. They abandoned the performance and took to the dressing room.

When I worked in Munich in the 90's I used to have an after-work beer with some of the local lads and naturally after a while the conversation got around to the war. I asked if there were any N azis of note still living in the area and they told me that Leni Reifenstahl, Hitler's movie propagandist, was still living in Starnberg just outside of Munich.

So I did some research, found her address, bought a box of English Tea as a gift and went down to knock on her door. I found the house but it was behind a locked gate. I rang the bell and a few moments later Ms. Reifenstahl came walking down the path. It was a bit cheeky of me but I said I was in the area and had brought her a small gift. She said she didn't take visitors but she took my English tea anyway. We shook hands and she went back inside her house. And that was that.

 

Also Hitler related-the house I live in now was the childhood home of a man who married Martin Bormann’s secretary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jimmy Savile had the privilege of meeting me back in the late 1960s. He had the most sunken cheekbones of anyone I've ever seen.

You want to see them now, Purple ha ha. Jimmy SaVile was actually (briefly) on the same record label as my Dad’s band in the 1960’s, Decca Records. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Herman said:

We saw Jonathan King lurking about at a Pixies gig, trying to blend in in a lime green shell suit. 😟

A friend of mine who was in a band who won a Brit Award or 2 in the early 90’s said Jonathan King was (allegedly 😉) lurking around backstage at one of those shows in clothing that was of even a crime back in that era, desperately searching for Bolivian marching powder (not really any surprise for that industry TBF), and behaving in generally a very ‘noncey’ way. He knew Jonathan King was a complete wrong’un immediately and was expecting his name to come up in the whole Operation Yewtree thing, which of course it duly did.

Edited by Alex Moss
Forgot the all important name!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know I am going to be nosy and ask what band that was Alex.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall passing Russel Tovey on the platform at Tottenham Court Road tube station a few years ago, we just walked past each other and after he had just gone by under my breath I let out a woof, it was like a reflex reaction, I felt rather embarrassed afterwards, this has been locked away in my memory for a while but this thread has drawn it out😀

I was a fan of Being Human at the time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was behind Jimmy Bone in a  Norwich newsagent/ tobacconist, he was buying tobacco and fagpapers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...