Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

To keep you all up to date, Oxford-AstraZeneca believe they have found the missing link in the jigsaw with regards their data. They believe therefore that the data they have supplied not only shows it to be safe but 95% effective. They are saying they cannot say more more as these bits are with the regulator and must go onto an official paper before they can be put in the public domain. 
Assuming this is true then we have enough doses ( by Spring ) to vaccinate the whole of the U.K. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

To keep you all up to date, Oxford-AstraZeneca believe they have found the missing link in the jigsaw with regards their data. They believe therefore that the data they have supplied not only shows it to be safe but 95% effective. They are saying they cannot say more more as these bits are with the regulator and must go onto an official paper before they can be put in the public domain. 
Assuming this is true then we have enough doses ( by Spring ) to vaccinate the whole of the U.K. 

The extra couple of weeks we have waited then may be well have been most worth it. Haven't we bought an initial 100m doses? Or was it 300m? And hasn't production started for a good number to be on tap immediately?

Edited by sonyc

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

The extra couple of weeks we have waited then may be well have been most worth it. Haven't we bought an initial 100m doses? Or was it 300m? And hasn't production started for a good number to be on tap immediately?

Yes they started production well before the full results were known I believe, this is excellent news

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It is 100 million, 4 million can be used from the second approval is given and 40 million will be with us by Spring. We can manufacture here ( not on huge scales but big ) but most of ours as part of the Covax deal will come from India ( Serum Institute ) that plan to produce 2 billion doses by Summer.

Just hope it’s true, but to be fair it’s coming from our tried and tested sources and why would Oxford make that up.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It is our only hope. If we do not have an effective vaccine, and we might not know for a while how effective, our lives could be in turmoil.

Not long to wait now KG, till at least we find out it is approved.

I believe if it is approved that the mass vaccination sites are set to open 4/1 however vaccinations in Herefordshire and Staffordshire could begin as early as Tuesday / Wednesday. 
Oxford and their particular reporting partners are very honest so going by who has spoken today, the info about the efficacy is likely to be correct. The planned MHRA release date of tomorrow or Tuesday has been written for a couple of weeks and based on the full data being provided last week.

33 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Zoe App over 50,000 today, seem to recall that was around the figure at the peak of first wave?

I cannot recall a figure over 40,000 at any time. But maybe the reporting is more accurate with increasing numbers using the app? It is now towards 4.5m who use the app compared to was it around 3m? Or maybe people are less likely to report. 

Our numbers are still around the 1000 with the recent trend holding level or perhaps showing a slight decrease if anything. 

Do you think rates will keep rising or like in France (2/3 weeks ahead in evolution) they may start to fall very soon? I'm hopeful that measures will influence a downward trend (depending on Xmas behaviour).

49 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I cannot recall a figure over 40,000 at any time. But maybe the reporting is more accurate with increasing numbers using the app? It is now towards 4.5m who use the app compared to was it around 3m? Or maybe people are less likely to report. 

Our numbers are still around the 1000 with the recent trend holding level or perhaps showing a slight decrease if anything. 

Do you think rates will keep rising or like in France (2/3 weeks ahead in evolution) they may start to fall very soon? I'm hopeful that measures will influence a downward trend (depending on Xmas behaviour).

You may well be right about the historic numbers, just working from the old memory which ain’t as good as it was 😁 As for rising rates, I think yes there is still a bit further to go, especially as Christmas contacts and spread filters through, what we don’t know is how much more infectious the new variant is, so very hard to predict the direction of travel in the medium term, my fear is the new variant will get stuck in to your neck of the woods as it seems to be doing here, bring on the Oxford vaccine.....please!!!!

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Not long to wait now KG, till at least we find out it is approved.

I believe if it is approved that the mass vaccination sites are set to open 4/1 however vaccinations in Herefordshire and Staffordshire could begin as early as Tuesday / Wednesday. 
Oxford and their particular reporting partners are very honest so going by who has spoken today, the info about the efficacy is likely to be correct. The planned MHRA release date of tomorrow or Tuesday has been written for a couple of weeks and based on the full data being provided last week.

No idea when exactly it will begin but as an NHS responder I have been asked to volunteer to assist the vaccination programme in the local area. Simple stuff like stewarding car parking or people through buildings but they clearly are getting ready.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

No idea when exactly it will begin but as an NHS responder I have been asked to volunteer to assist the vaccination programme in the local area. Simple stuff like stewarding car parking or people through buildings but they clearly are getting ready.

Good luck Mark. You will be a busy man for months.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Van wink said:

You may well be right about the historic numbers, just working from the old memory which ain’t as good as it was 😁 As for rising rates, I think yes there is still a bit further to go, especially as Christmas contacts and spread filters through, what we don’t know is how much more infectious the new variant is, so very hard to predict the direction of travel in the medium term, my fear is the new variant will get stuck in to your neck of the woods as it seems to be doing here, bring on the Oxford vaccine.....please!!!!

Unfortunately the vaccine has become a race against the mutations, not that the mutations will effect the vaccine in anyway, but the mutations seem to be 70% more effective ( SAGE and W.H.O. current studies ). With the relaxation of Christmas many are describing this as perfect storm. 
I will be shocked if the whole Country ( U.K. ) is not in Tier 4 by 2 weeks time.

7 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Indeed.

I am similar ( as a volunteer ). I was told to be available from 28th December but believe it will be 4/1 unless you live in Staffs or Herefordshire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark .Y. said:

Good luck Mark and well done, I hope the recruitment process runs a bit more smoothly than in my case and one or two others I know.

• Thanks 1

I go for my 4th covid test tomorrow and my 5th on the 2nd of jan. I then have to have one every 4 days prior to my treatment. Tomorrow is at Lynn and thereafter its a carpark along the Heathersett Rd. Do not mind but it is all the way to Norwich for a two minute swab two days before my chemo. Do not know why the two hospitals cannot tie up with these visits as they are doing tomorrow. Still I suppose I am getting the treatment which I am greatful for as so many are not.

Good luck Shrimper. I guess if you're having say a six treatment set (like my wife had to years ago) then you may have to go through many such tests ahead (unless the vaccination scheme really ramps up)? If it works well though, then it will give you a new lease.

Perhaps they can sort out the geography much better ahead.

16 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

I go for my 4th covid test tomorrow and my 5th on the 2nd of jan. I then have to have one every 4 days prior to my treatment. Tomorrow is at Lynn and thereafter its a carpark along the Heathersett Rd. Do not mind but it is all the way to Norwich for a two minute swab two days before my chemo. Do not know why the two hospitals cannot tie up with these visits as they are doing tomorrow. Still I suppose I am getting the treatment which I am greatful for as so many are not.

Hi Shrimper

So sorry to hear that, but while you are at the hospital, if you are not offered it just ask if there is a dose of the vaccine available. I know up here a lot have asked and got, worse case is they can only say no.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

You may be right reading all the latest reports. Indy Sage is imploring the whole of the Uk to go into tier 4.

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

You may be right reading all the latest reports. Indy Sage is imploring the whole of the Uk to go into tier 4.

They have been doing that for a while, unfortunately as always they were ignored.

34 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

Good luck matey

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hi Shrimper

So sorry to hear that, but while you are at the hospital, if you are not offered it just ask if there is a dose of the vaccine available. I know up here a lot have asked and got, worse case is they can only say no.

Yes they are going to do it  on the 5th of Jan WBB. 

52 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

Best wishes Shrimp👍

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Should have done by now, just delaying the inevitable and costing more lives.

1 hour ago, SHRIMPER said:

My old man is in a similar position. He has to travel to London to get scans while we have one up the road which would be a ten minute drive.

Anyway, all the best to you.👍

• Like 1

Sorry to learn you've been unwell, Shrimper, wishing you the speediest of recoveries 👍

• Like 2

Yes they are going to do it  on the 5th of Jan WBB. 

Excellent news.

I know of 3 people up here who were not offered it but asked ( all in their 80’s I must add ) and got.

Maybe it's the Port, but things are looking a little more rosy -- Clarity with Brexit, and with the needles coming out perhaps the Government will stop trying to cure every problem with a hammer 👍

21414c90-8f1a-445b-989f-74a955755b28-3a036eef-b72e-4c9f-b613-c502294a7a67

47 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

citizen journalist jailed for 4 years in China for her reports on Wuhan.

They didn’t even bother to pretend it’s a real crime - she was convicted of “picking quarrels and provoking trouble”. Utterly appalling that this can happen in the 21st century.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-55463241

Thankfully Chinese law doesn't hold sway over the Pinkun message board.😁

else many on here would behind bars😉