Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

What makes Farke special then?

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

While I don't fully agree with the OP, hyperbole like this kind of makes his point for him.

It doesn't really stack up that our best ever squad and manager currently sit rock bottom of a league we've finished 11th and 12th in within the last decade. 

Yep.

Either our squad is over hyped, or our manager is, or both. 

Doesn't stack up that we have our best ever squad AND a genius manager, because we're on course for our worst ever top tier points haul. 

One or more of those claims has to be untrue. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

38 minutes ago, Nono said:

The OP is just full of it I'm afraid. 

Can't even be bothered to point argue his idiotic claims. 

Just wants to bash possibly the best squad and manager as a group we have ever had. 

Absolute idiot.

Best Squad + Best Manager 

= 20th in Premier League 

And I'm the one with the "idiotic claims". 

If you are 15 I'll give you a pass, but perhaps you were wearing Man City shirt last year and just jumped on the bandwagon now we are on the telly? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Every manager in the EPL is extraordinary - it's a job that maybe one person in 300,000 could do for even 6 months while retaining their health and sanity. 

To me Farke is special because of the toughness he brings to this most demanding of jobs. I have not yet seen the slightest wobble suggesting that he is not coping with the pressure. That alone is amazing. 

In terms of tactical ability, he has made us competitive in all but 3 or 4 games. If we had three better attacking or defensive players we would be a far better team, but we haven't.

As to getting the best out of his players, the biggest test of a manager, he does it week in, week out. There have been failures this season, but none of us really know why.

Recruitment, we cannot lay at Daniel's door, as that is not how the club is structured.

As an emotional human being, I hear that his man management can be very good, and that the right word at the right time can go a long, long way, but he will not change his standards and beliefs for anyone who doesn't follow his rules.

Does that answer the question? If the question had been 'what are his weaknesses', the list would be brief.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Lambert spent more in the first premier league Summer than Farke has in his whole time at the club.

Sounds like BS that, do the accounts back that up? 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

= 20th in Premier League 

If you are 17 I'll give you a pass, perhaps you were wearing Man City shirt last year and just jumped on the bandwagon now we are on the telly? 

I'd be interested to see how Neil, Lambert and Hughton would have fared with this squad of players. We all agree that Farke wasn't backed in the summer to improve the squad, which, combined with a ridiculous injury crisis early in the season, certainly mitigates our league position when analysing Farke's performance.

However, I am getting increasingly frustrated at his inability to be proactive with his substitutions. The zonal marking issue I can live with, as I understand the logic behind it and I'm sure it's based on in-depth analysis, but I simply cannot see how we benefit from leaving 11 tiring players on the pitch until 80+ minutes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember a single instance where he has made a substitution earlier than 75 minutes when we have been winning or drawing (aside from injuries). Can anyone else?

1 minute ago, Pugin said:

Every manager in the EPL is extraordinary - it's a job that maybe one person in 300,000 could do for even 6 months while retaining their health and sanity. 

To me Farke is special because of the toughness he brings to this most demanding of jobs. I have not yet seen the slightest wobble suggesting that he is not coping with the pressure. That alone is amazing. 

In terms of tactical ability, he has made us competitive in all but 3 or 4 games. If we had three better attacking or defensive players we would be a far better team, but we haven't.

As to getting the best out of his players, the biggest test of a manager, he does it week in, week out. There have been failures this season, but none of us really know why.

Recruitment, we cannot lay at Daniel's door, as that is not how the club is structured.

As an emotional human being, I hear that his man management can be very good, and that the right word at the right time can go a long, long way, but he will not change his standards and beliefs for anyone who doesn't follow his rules.

Does that answer the question? If the question had been 'what are his weaknesses', the list would be brief.

Our squad is just sh*t then? 

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

While I don't fully agree with the OP, hyperbole like this kind of makes his point for him.

It doesn't really stack up that our best ever squad and manager currently sit rock bottom of a league we've finished 11th and 12th in within the last decade. 

I don't agree with nono's statement while I also disagree with TVB running down last season's achievements. 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sounds like BS that, do the accounts back that up? 

No they don't.

Lambert bought in Morison, Vaughn, Bennett, Pilkington and Ayala for fees that summer. De Laet and Naughton were loans, Johnson was a free transfer.

I don't think any of our transfers were rumoured to cost more than £2m- I think Lambert spent about £10m that summer max. No idea about loan fees but they certainly weren't at the level they are these days.

Edited by king canary

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm sorry but that is rubbish. Nobody plays down the achievements of those eras.

There are literally two people on this thread doing just that! 

It was all down to Hoolahan and Holt apparently (ignoring the fact that Lambert took both to new heights, and got both to change their habits and get fitter), oh and he spent a fortune apparently (he didn't). 

You appear not to be reading before posting mate. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Our squad is just sh*t then? 

That is a different question entirely, and if the answer is 'Yes', then to be sitting two and a bit wins from safety, after the misfortunes we have suffered, would mean the manager is even better than I think he is.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

No they don't.

Lambert bought in Morison, Vaughn, Bennett, Pilkington and Ayala for fees that summer. De Laet and Naughton were loans, Johnson was a free transfer.

I don't think any of our transfers were rumoured to cost more than £2m

Beundia was £5m, and that's a fact. So yes, you are talking BS. 

Pilkington and Bennett from league 1 to the Premier League! 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Beundia was £5m, and that's a fact. So yes, you are talking BS. 

Pilkington and Bennett from league 1 to the Premier League! 

Eh? I was agreeing with you.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

People absolutely do play them down. 

The league one season you often hear 'we already had Holt and Hoolahan, anyone could have taken us up.'

The Premier League season is often dismissed as 'unsustainable, no foundations being laid for the future.'

You don't have to look far to find those opinions on here.

People do not play them down, they just put points that they think are correct in comparing different times.  The Walker era has been mentioned.....yet that took years of evolution with building from within.

People mention the Lambert era, but the main goalscorer and talisman that helped get us up, was already at the club.

The turn around that has happened in two and a half seasons IS remarkable and the Farke era WILL be seen as remarkable and I hope it goes on for many years.

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There are literally two people on this thread doing just that! 

It was all down to Hoolahan and Holt apparently (ignoring the fact that Lambert took both to new heights, and got both to change their habits and get fitter), oh and he spent a fortune apparently (he didn't). 

You appear not to be reading before posting mate. 

You are cherry picking lines from posts to distort the arguments being made.  Previous eras have been brilliant, but times change and what we have witnessed in two and a half seasons is not just a successful team, but a transformation of a club from bottom to top, on and off the field.  Farke is of course absolutely key to that - and the way his team plays is brilliant to watch, even though we are not quite achieving the results on the pitch.....and there is still a chance they will improve results this season.

Farke never had a chance with the defenders at his disposal. We were never going to score at the same rate in the premier league. None of the four centre backs at his disposal last August, bar perhaps Klose, are of premier league quality. But the board prioritised building a cash pile of broadcasting income currently flowing in tranches into the club. He has worked miracles with the playersp at his disposal. We should be advocating building a statue of Farke rather than criticising him or the players.

🤝
15 minutes ago, king canary said:

No they don't.

I don't think any of our transfers were rumoured to cost more than £2m- I think Lambert spent about £10m that summer max. No idea about loan fees but they certainly weren't at the level they are these days.

Transfermarkt makes it about £13.7m.

1584835070_Annotation2020-01-23090433.jpg.c36a904d7d01a95497a9e7c95cf31583.jpg

46 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

= 20th in Premier League 

If you are 15 I'll give you a pass, but perhaps you were wearing Man City shirt last year and just jumped on the bandwagon now we are on the telly? 

Yeah you are an idiot. Times change, leagues get harder. Everyone has money and can splash out on players. We're clearly a few players short of having a good team. Daniel is a decent coach and still learning as manager. What we're your expectations this season? Win the league like Leicester? Win champions league the following year? Everyone must of knew it would be hard when we scrapped over the line last season.

Edited by Rolf Harris

34 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Transfermarkt makes it about £13.7m.

1584835070_Annotation2020-01-23090433.jpg.c36a904d7d01a95497a9e7c95cf31583.jpg

Bennett and Howson were both January, poster mentioned summer.

14 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Yeah you are an idiot. Times change, leagues get harder. Everyone has money and can splash out on players. We're clearly a few players short of having a good team. Daniel is a decent coach and still learning as manager. What we're your expectations this season? Win the league like Leicester? Win champions league the following year? Everyone must of knew it would be hard when we scrapped over the line last season.

Morning Rolf. What’s your plans today ? 

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bloody hell, the OP is still going. Cringe.

16 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Yeah you are an idiot. 

From the King Happy Clapper and a Peadophile admirer, I'll take these as a compliment. 

20 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Why have you named yourself after a prolific peadophile? I feel like I need to know the answer to that question before deciding whether to converse with you. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

From the King Happy Clapper and a Peadophile admirer, I'll take these as a compliment. 

The King happy clapper? My word, such an accolade! Am I really the best happy clapper? My hands are slightly sore from all the applause I was giving last night.

12 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We don't often see that attractive passing football though do we?

Did you see it today?

Is playing it out from the back every single time really attractive passing football or is it just naive and all too often our downfall? 

We just so often see a team incapable of stringing three passes together. 

If you didn't you must have been watching a different game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Bennett and Howson were both January, poster mentioned summer.

Then you were pretty much spot on 🙂

Wasn't trying to make a point either way, was just offering the facts (I rate transfermarkt as the most accurate online resource for this kind of thing).

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The King happy clapper? My word, such an accolade! Am I really the best happy clapper? My hands are slightly sore from all the applause I was giving last night.

Your definitely in the top 2.

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Your definitely in the top 2.

You're*

Am I also in the top 2 for grammar & spelling correction?

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well if that’s you best retort I’m disappointed. 

*your