7 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Well, even one of your comrades agrees:

image.png.f982d2710a6498615b860575ae13e58f.png

I agree as thick as you, nice to see you agreeing

Edited by Well b back

12 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Well, even one of your comrades agrees:

image.png.f982d2710a6498615b860575ae13e58f.png

Because Jones is way left of centre and is no more happy with the current Labour Party than I am. But don't let that fool you Jools. He despises people like you. Wannabes.

Labour MP Andy Mcdonald has been suspended from the Labour Party after using the phrase "from the river to the sea" at a pro Palestine rally. What a twit. I'm not overly impressed by Starmer but he does have my sympathy. There seem to be quite a few Labour MPs who would prefer not to win the next election. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Labour MP Andy Mcdonald has been suspended from the Labour Party after using the phrase "from the river to the sea" at a pro Palestine rally. What a twit. I'm not overly impressed by Starmer but he does have my sympathy. There seem to be quite a few Labour MPs who would prefer not to win the next election. 

Yes - You can easily express sympathy for the underlying Palestinian cause and humanity in general without using the same language as Hamas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - You can easily express sympathy for the underlying Palestinian cause and humanity in general without using the same language as Hamas.

A few weeks ago Starmer could have considered putting down the Ming vase. Not now, with some of his colleagues adding in a few extra tripping hazards. 

I'm obviously biased but I think he's giving some really good answers to these questions.

The below should be obvious but I think is really important to remember...

Q: Do you think Israel is acting within international law?

Starmer says Israel has to act within international law.

As for whether each and every act complies with international law, that will have to be adjudicated in due course. He says it is “extremely unwise” for politicians to make “an instant judgment” on issues like this. He says he has looked at these cases in the past, and it can take weeks or months for the evidence to come out.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'm obviously biased but I think he's giving some really good answers to these questions.

The below should be obvious but I think is really important to remember...

Q: Do you think Israel is acting within international law?

Starmer says Israel has to act within international law.

As for whether each and every act complies with international law, that will have to be adjudicated in due course. He says it is “extremely unwise” for politicians to make “an instant judgment” on issues like this. He says he has looked at these cases in the past, and it can take weeks or months for the evidence to come out.

I'm sorry but that one doesn't wash with me. Whatever he says now will matter not a jot when it comes to the GE next year. The people he wants to vote for him and Labour will have moved on. He is quite capable of adding a rider that he would be at least disappointed if Israel is ignoring international law.

He is going to walk the next election. He doesn't need to politic over this.

Edited by keelansgrandad

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm sorry but that one doesn't wash with me. Whatever he says now will matter not a jot when it comes to the GE next year. The people he wants to vote for him and Labour will have moved on. He is quite capable of adding a rider that he would be at least disappointed if Israel is ignoring international law.

He is going to walk the next election. He doesn't need to politic over this.

So actually waiting for hard evidence before condeming a country for committing war crimes doesn't wash for you? 

Personally I like my politicians to actually display some common sense.

Both the Conservatives and Labour seem quite divided in the response to it. Personally, I don't see any reason to make it a party political matter in the UK, other than ensuring the acrimony over the conflict doesn't spill onto British streets.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Both the Conservatives and Labour seem quite divided in the response to it. Personally, I don't see any reason to make it a party political matter in the UK, other than ensuring the acrimony over the conflict doesn't spill onto British streets.

Precisely. All Starmer had to say at the start was that it wasn't a party political issue. At the same time he should have politely and privately explained to his MP that it's America's problem so shut the **** up. 

Poor judgement by all concerned in the Labour Party but I have a nasty feeling that some of them don't actually relish the thought of being in charge. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

So actually waiting for hard evidence before condeming a country for committing war crimes doesn't wash for you? 

Personally I like my politicians to actually display some common 

That is not what I said. I said he was politicing. In fact he hasn't said anything at all the amounts to anything than sitting on the fence. The last time he did he got into trouble.

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

Indeed

Strangely enough here in Birmingham it’s a Conservative scheme, so gets the full support of the government. 

13 hours ago, Well b back said:

Indeed

Strangely enough here in Birmingham it’s a Conservative scheme, so gets the full support of the government. 

Is the Birmingham scheme just the centre of town where public transport is a really capable of getting you where you want to go? If so, it's  not really comparable to the second ULEZ expansion.

13 hours ago, Herman said:

Using exactly the same data it would be equally valid to say:

"There was only a 4% increase in the number of compliant vehicles on London's roads since the start of the scheme (some of which increase would have been achieved regardless as older cars were naturally phased out).

No evidence that air quality has improved since the second  expansion is currently available "

Too early to judge this one.  People have lost out but its not clear that what they have lost has been balanced by sufficient gains in air quality.

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Haha 1

This Palestine issue is going to seriously undermine a Labour election victory and even could create a split into a new party at member level.

On 05/11/2023 at 10:06, KiwiScot said:

This Palestine issue is going to seriously undermine a Labour election victory and even could create a split into a new party at member level.

That is Starmer's fault because of his reluctance to make a decision so he thought he would say nothing. Idiot. And we want him as PM? He is a Kipper. Two faced and no backbone. One of the councillors who resigned had it right. He isn't listening to the members, he is listening to the poll numbers.

Edited by keelansgrandad

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

He isn't listening to the members, he is listening to the poll numbers.

Good!

Listening to the members is what gets you giant Tory majorities because the Labour party membership is not a good reflection of the general public.

• Like 2

On 06/11/2023 at 15:15, king canary said:

Good!

Listening to the members is what gets you giant Tory majorities because the Labour party membership is not a good reflection of the general public.

Or to put it another way, Labour just shouldn't be a party of government in a two-party system. 🙂

To be fair, pretty sure the Conservatives shouldn't be either.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

Or to put it another way, Labour just shouldn't be a party of government in a two-party system. 🙂

Sure if you apply the exact same logic to every single party, which is obviously pointless.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Sure if you apply the exact same logic to every single party, which is obviously pointless.

Sort of. I mean, if a party can only be elected if it doesn't reflect its membership, what's the point of membership?

15 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Jess Phillips biggest name to resign after 8 front benchers vote for a ceasefire.

Pointless posturing because neither Hamas nor Israel will pay any attention to it.

However, sensible on her part looking at the demographics in her constituency.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Pointless posturing because neither Hamas nor Israel will pay any attention to it.

However, sensible on her part looking at the demographics in her constituency.

That's what it's about. Playing to the constituencies. George Galloway is sharing claims on Twitter that the music festival massacre was Israeli Apache helicopters.

On 31/10/2023 at 05:52, dylanisabaddog said:

What is it they say about Labour don't really want to be in government, but prefer to be in opposition...