Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I rather suspect that if we wanted to 'rejoin' the EU would probably allow us back on similar terms to what we left. After all its win-win for somewhat wiser parties although don't leave it too long.

Oddly - makes me laugh when some say there would be lots of problems with in re-joining (a known system) - as if the Leavers had scooby of the problems in leaving in the first place - they clearly had no plan whatsoever and signed a blank cheque! Best ignored.

However - despite those polls indicating a near or actual supermajority to return its too soon. But clearly the public at large are currently well ahead of the politicians but give it another election cycle - a 6% reduction in standard of living as forecast and the issue will become very  live again.  

If Labour, solely or in coalition, win the next two elections there will be a virtuous mission-creep back towards the EU. That will not necessarily end in rejoining but it will reduce the manifest economic self-harm of Brexit.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Family fighting to prevent deportation

Hopefully Brussels will lean on the Sweden and help stop the deportation 

This is just like the Windrush situation where people sat on their ariisses for years and years without bothering to get their paperwork sorted out, most likely because they didn't want to have any correspondence with the authorities. And now here we have a daughter who screwed up her mother's visa application and now blames it on everybody except herself. Nobody takes responsibility for themselves any more.

The scandal of the said Windrush scandal was that the government actively destroyed a lot of paperwork.

50 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

This is just like the Windrush situation where people sat on their ariisses for years and years without bothering to get their paperwork sorted out, most likely because they didn't want to have any correspondence with the authorities. And now here we have a daughter who screwed up her mother's visa application and now blames it on everybody except herself. Nobody takes responsibility for themselves any more.

Don't agree regarding Windrush....see Herman's comment above and add on many weren't told about the paperwork decades back.

Agree mostly regarding Brexit. Most people should have had no problem with applications. My own application took a few minutes. ID, Mugshot  & fingerprints. Back again a couple of days later to pick up the residency permit.

It was always going to be mostly the older and less able people who would have trouble. My understanding is that this ladys passport was rejected as it was out of date, as she has no plans to travel. My mum was  moved into a home a couple of years ago and my sister has spent ages trying to sort out her paperwork and affairs. It isn't easy when you are trying to sort things out for others.

What was/is needed to sort this situation out is something very simple: common sense 

48 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

They've done the 13 easy bits (mostly the stuff that will make Sunak's wife even richer) and are really stuck on the hard bits.

Progress rating = bad, very bad.

Easy visas for Indians is normally the stumbling block. How do you square the circle of appeasing India and their racist supporters?

On 06/04/2023 at 07:52, Herman said:

Easy visas for Indians is normally the stumbling block. How do you square the circle of appeasing India and their racist supporters?

It's notable that Sunak's rhetoric about trade agreements is massively different to that of Johnson. The biggest recent surprise was that CPTPP accession was agreed without Canada getting farming concessions similar to New Zealand and Australia, having been pressured by the other members to relent to move things on.

They're definitely going to have to improve opportunities over movement if they want to see it through. Brits of Indian descent are arguably the best integrated minority in the UK anyway.

There was a real buzz in the Indian press when Sunak was appointed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the sealing of that one came shortly before a general election.

53 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Brits of Indian descent are arguably the best integrated minority in the UK anyway.

They're the really nice people who keep 'phoning me to help with the errors on my computer.

Awfully nice chaps.

Another stupid comment from you.

It's not the remain side that you have to persuade that more immigration from the sub continent is a good thing. It's definitely not the brexit they voted for. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

It's not the remain side that you have to persuade that more immigration from the sub continent is a good thing. It's definitely not the brexit they voted for. 

It is however the Brexit that many with ethnic roots from the sub continent did vote for apparently!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It is however the Brexit that many with ethnic roots from the sub continent did vote for apparently!

Fair point. There were a few promises made to people, especially restaurant owners.

More fish. A good article but don't expecting anything we hadn't predicted.

49 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Y

To be fair to you Hooky it's what most people think when you post.

😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Herman said:

More fish. A good article but don't expecting anything we hadn't predicted.

Aye, the NY Times with its fingers on the pulse of the UK fishing industry 😉

12 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Aye, the NY Times with its fingers on the pulse of the UK fishing industry 😉

More truth told about UK fishing by the NY Times than the Leavers did during the Brexit campaign.

I expect even JRM's happy fish are no longer seeing the joyousness of Brexit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

More completely unnecessary cultural vandalism.

If the EU restricts access to UK artists and the UK lets EU artists into the UK regardless then there'll never be any motive for the EU to come to the table to agree access for UK artists.

Reciprocity is the basis of most agreements; not mindlessly giving bargaining chips away.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie