Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Wolves

How do we compare? I watched them beat Manure last night. Their organisation and the way they press and move around the pitch is very similar to the way we play, but their passing and control wasn't as good, especially in tight areas. They also lumped it long a few times when in trouble, which I guess we might have to do more of next year too. They do have more pace up front than us, but less at the back so sat much deeper than we do - though of course they were up against a very good side.

My point being, they are likely to finish in the top 10 - can we do that, with a  couple of astute additions?

We're not there yet, but if we do get to the PL and if we continue to play with the same spirit, our players have enough to do well. 

If we go up, I would expect a return to a more controlled style that we showed when Leitner was in the team earlier this season.  Wolves look strong, but don't think we will play like them, in fact I am hoping we will play better football than them. 

The thing I noticed is how Wolves used a long pass out of defence well - into a striker who was able to hold the ball up.  

(If we get there) I think teams will close us down quicker and we won't have time on the ball as we have in many games this season (like Swansea and Sheff Utd did).

Wolves also look physically bigger than we do as well.  We don't have height and strength in midfield and up front.  I think we'll need that next season.

Wolves have some players that we can not remotely afford though - and will not be able to even in the prem. In fact, we wouldn't have been able to attract several of them anyway.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Wolves are an excellent side. Would be delighted to emulate what they are doing this season . 

This.

Eagerly awaiting the "why can't we be Wolves?!" posts next season if we go up and don't completely emulate their successes :classic_biggrin:

Wolves last season were defensively the best team in the division by some distance. Despite showing some improvement in this respect over the last month or so, we are nowhere near the same level (even disregarding the first five games). Wolves were so good that John Ruddy topped the Clean Sheets table with 24 clean sheets (52%); we currently have 12 (30%). Wolves came out best on virtually every defensive measure last season (e.g. goals conceded, xGa, shots faced per game).

Their currently heading the PL table for clubs other than the big six owes far more to the quality of their defending than the quality of their attacking; the five clubs immediately below them have all scored more goals than Wolves, but have conceded significantly more. Wolves are the only team outside the top six with a positive GD (+1).

Whereas last season Wolves averaged 1.8 goals per game, in the EPL that has dropped to 1.2. In sum, as you would expect, Wolves have found it a lot harder to score goals in the EPL, and harder to avoid conceding them. Any suggestion that we might match Wolves's performance if we are promoted is pie in the sky unless we improve significantly defensively. In that respect Sheffield Utd are better equipped than we are. 

In terms of team selection, we are, as LDC implies, better from a defensive point of view with Klose and Leitner in the side. The question is whether DF will adjust the balance from the start or whether it will take an Alex Neil-like conversion of St James's Park proportions (or Millwall 2017 for that matter) to force his hand.

I think we also have to consider that Wolves spent 60 million just to get promoted, they've probably added to that this year, so we're well behind them in terms of potential. 

I won't be comparing us with them should we be promoted. 

Why pressure our team with a comparison such as this? Think we have our own identity and way of doing things that is vastly different to wolves as we have a vastly different model of operation. I am still looking at the 7 games we have left and hope that we finish a less than straightforward job. Then I'll worry about our premier league aspirations if (when) we get there.

I have a grudging respect for what they've done this season but the way they got promoted still leaves a sour taste for me.

Newly promoted teams often seem to do reasonably well their first season in the Premier League (perhaps because of sheer adrenaline or perhaps because of unfamiliarity to the existing teams) but the struggle seems to begin thereafter. It will be interesting to see how Wolves do next season and beyond. As many have stated above, though, the platform they have built on is somewhat different to ours and we will make our own way. I love what Webber was saying about how we would approach the Premier League in his recent interview. I really hope we get the chance to see it play out.

Wolves in a relegation battle next season ? Just spent 30 M on a forward today and I’d guess there’s more to follow. 

They’ll  be challenging for a Europa league spot minimum 19/20.