lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v WBA*****

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

..... we have to too.

Lovely to see there are still people who understand the difference between the two (not to or too) spellings, and when to use them. :classic_smile:0

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

..... we have to too.

Lovely to see there are still people who understand the difference between the two (not to or too) spellings, and when to use them. :classic_smile:

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's that young back four that were worried about at 3pm who did the business by 4:55. How much stronger than the four who played against WBA in August.

Farke trusts them, we have to too.

These kids love proving me and others wrong, and I love them doing it. Long may it continue.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

These kids love proving me and others wrong, and I love them doing it. Long may it continue.

We all worry, especially against opposition like WBA. However brave is Daniel Farke?!?!?!🙃

As someone else pointed, the average age is 21. I can't see any other manager putting faith and then keeping faith in a back four that young. Bravefarke! Top coaching.

To those who think we are having a poor run with only one win in the last six it should be pointed out that four of those have been away and none lost as the club matches its best unbeaten run away of 12 games. We are in a tough run of fixtures with injuries to key players but the team is still right in it. The young players are doing us proud!

Aarons and Lewis are shoe ins. But I wonder if Ben will have to drop to the bench when Timm is completely match fit. It would seem harsh. Just like Jordan who keeps scoring from the bench. 

The return to fitness of MacLean makes me wonder whether Todd should have a break next match. I would like to see him stay but his recent form hasn't matched his ability which we see in snatches. But on the other hand, his confidence will grow the longer DF keeps faith in him.

In fact, by the end of January, digits crossed, we should have virtually everyone back available. Even Carlton is back training.

KG

"The return to fitness of MacLean makes me wonder whether Todd should have a break next match. I would like to see him stay but his recent form hasn't matched his ability which we see in snatches. But on the other hand, his confidence will grow the longer DF keeps faith in him."

Tough one that, I thought Todd needed a rest after the Derby game, but Farke kept the faith and he played well against Portsmouth.

What a result. Much better second half. West Brom very physical and we badly missed Stiepermann as a physical out ball when they pressed high.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

What a result. Much better second half. West Brom very physical and we badly missed Stiepermann as a physical out ball when they pressed high.

He would have needed to be standing in row F to receive the ball from the Krull.

• Like 1

Just now, Van wink said:

KG

"The return to fitness of MacLean makes me wonder whether Todd should have a break next match. I would like to see him stay but his recent form hasn't matched his ability which we see in snatches. But on the other hand, his confidence will grow the longer DF keeps faith in him."

Tough one that, I thought Todd needed a rest after the Derby game, but Farke kept the faith and he played well against Portsmouth.

Once we have players back....McClean, Steipermann,Klose,Hanley....all we can ask of Farke is to be honest regarding the young players....should Cantwell be playing ahead of a McLean or Hernandez......should Godfrey be picked ahead of Zimmerman/Klose/Hanley....tough calls and as good as these young players are, the right calls must be made

22 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Once we have players back....McClean, Steipermann,Klose,Hanley....all we can ask of Farke is to be honest regarding the young players....should Cantwell be playing ahead of a McLean or Hernandez......should Godfrey be picked ahead of Zimmerman/Klose/Hanley....tough calls and as good as these young players are, the right calls must be made

So we should ignore the early season form before these youngsters were drafted in because they were allegedly the right calls? ....

28 minutes ago, Van wink said:

He would have needed to be standing in row F to receive the ball from the Krull.

Come on Van wink. If Marco had been playing we wouldn't have seen Krul having to choose between putting the ball into touch or onto the head of a relative midget marked by a much bigger player.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So we should ignore the early season form before these youngsters were drafted in because they were allegedly the right calls? ....

On friday...we will hopefully have zimmerman and klose available...as well as lewis.....where should godfey play?

On Friday we will holefully have Buendia,Steiperman and Hernandez avaialable (aswell as McLean)....where should Cantwell play?

Theyve done a good job at filling in whilst weve had the odd injury ...but with something approaching a full squad , different questions need to be asked....foremost being "which are the better players?"...not "who should we be loyal to?"

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

3 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Come on Van wink. If Marco had been playing we wouldn't have seen Krul having to choose between putting the ball into touch or onto the head of a relative midget marked by a much bigger player.  

Spot on Westy. Stiepermann has been the outlet when Krul has to kick long. A ball down the middle would easily have been won by their centre backs and come straight back. Our coaches are smart and what Krul did helped keep them down to a single goal from which we could get a point.

I'd expect Farke to bring Leitner back for Vrancic as soon as he is 100% ready, likewise Stiepermann. Cantwell, Hernandez and Buendia will share the wide berths. Godfrey or Klose is a decision to be made, but I suspect Klose will have to wait a bit to regain his CB spot. 

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

On friday...we will hopefully have zimmerman and klose available...as well as lewis.....where should godfey play?

On Friday we will holefully have Buendia,Steiperman and Hernandez avaialable (aswell as McLean)....where should Cantwell play?

Theyve done a good job at filling in whilst weve had the odd injury ...but with something approaching a full squad , different questions need to be asked....foremost being "which are the better players?"...not "who should we be loyal to?"

OK, let's drop players who win us this point because others may be better even though they haven't proved it. 

I get that the squad should be used but you've got a real downer on Godfrey and Cantwell and yet they've proved you wrong before🙃

Edited by nutty nigel

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...but with something approaching a full squad , different questions need to be asked....foremost being "which are the better players?"..

No, the question is not about "better players" but about better team performance when x, y, or z play.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

OK, let's drop players who win us this point because others may be better even though they haven't proved it. 

Lets not pretend everything has been completely great recently 1 win in 7?...and shipping goals at home

My point is...if I need to make it again....is that players are returning from injury which will pose Farke selection problems

Cantwell has had a sustained run because first hernandez was injured .then when he came back Buendia was injured..and when he came back ....steipermann was injured

On Friday vs Birmingham theres a chance that all 4 will be fit

Klose and Zimmerman have both had injury problems so Godfrey filled in for one or the other....then Lewis got injured and he was called upon at left back

On Friday vs Birmingham , theres a chance Zimmerman Klose and Lewis will all be fit

....its not a case if dropping players ....its a case of playing our best team

Sorry if i've had to spell it out in even further detail...again

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I get that the squad should be used but you've got a real downer on Godfrey and Cantwell and yet they've proved you wrong before🙃

...and Klose and Steipermann 'havent' been part of our success so far?!?

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Spot on Westy. Stiepermann has been the outlet when Krul has to kick long. A ball down the middle would easily have been won by their centre backs and come straight back. Our coaches are smart and what Krul did helped keep them down to a single goal from which we could get a point.

Ah the old rugby tactic.....love to see us twin tracking with the egg chasers.👍

Edited by Van wink

14 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Ah the old rugby tactic.....love to see the twin tracking with the egg chasers.👍

Fantastic result, and one that should re-ignite the confidence. If it had even dropped?

With regard to team selection, I think the sooner with have a spine of Klose, Leitner, Steipermann and Pukki, the better. 

If Godfrey and Cantwell are dropped then sadly that's what needs to happen. Cantwell for me has been off pace since the Rotherham game. He's a decent talent for sure, but I think currently Steipermann, Hernandez, Buendia, and possibly Mclean, bring more overall  to the team. 

As for Godfrey, I'd still like to see him used in the CDM role at some point. Preferably next to Leitner. 

The positive is we are getting players back and have options. But the one needed the most is the one we have to wait the longest, Leitner! Lets hope for an early recovery like Emi. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Lets not pretend everything has been completely great recently 1 win in 7?...and shipping goals at home

My point is...if I need to make it again....is that players are returning from injury which will pose Farke selection problems

Cantwell has had a sustained run because first hernandez was injured .then when he came back Buendia was injured..and when he came back ....steipermann was injured

On Friday vs Birmingham theres a chance that all 4 will be fit

Klose and Zimmerman have both had injury problems so Godfrey filled in for one or the other....then Lewis got injured and he was called upon at left back

On Friday vs Birmingham , theres a chance Zimmerman Klose and Lewis will all be fit

....its not a case if dropping players ....its a case of playing our best team

Sorry if i've had to spell it out in even further detail...again

Keep spelling it out geejay. I stopped taking any notice when you wanted Hanley back instead of Godfrey. That wasn't a case of playing our best team was it?

We've got through a very congested fixture schedule without making too many changes, I trust Farke to manage the squad. Personally I would play Godfrey and Klose when Timm is fit again - tough on Zimbo who has generally been excellent, but Timm and Zim together leave us very vulnerable to pace.

As for Todd, he has surpassed all expectations this season and as long as he's not burnt out then I'd stick with him unless he really loses his form. When Stiepermann, Buendia, McLean, Cantwell and Hernandez are all fit there will invariably be a little bit of shuffling depending on who we're playing.

....Hanley is a better defender than Godfrey.....Godfrey is a better player than playing at centre half, as has been alluded to above, a deputy / or even alongside Tettey in the base of midfield is where his future might be.

You're clearly championing , admirably the young players as if theyre undroppable now theyve forced their way in ....I'm taking the view that the squad should be evaluated evenly , regardless of age , once we have a fully fit squad.

....so I'll ask again....who plays at CB if Zimmerman and Klose are fully fit?

...who is the midfield 3 behind Pukki if Buendia, Steipermann,and Hernandez are fully fit?

....and I think youll agree, there are no names there who havent been part of our success so far this season or that we're suddenly 'bringing back' after a poor start to the season?

Godfrey is a perfect centre back for the way we play. I have never seen him as effective in midfield as at the back. Thompson getting fit would give us another midfield option.