Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

New contract for Farke?

"There really is no reason at the moment why Norwich should offer more than a rolling one year contract, and of course there is the knock-on effect of contracts for his supporting staff to consider."

Agreed, it would be creating a no win situation.

Stuck with his contractual obligations if he fails, whilst if he succeeds and is poached he''ll go in any case (Bond, Walker, Lambert,) with a fight on our hands for compensation of sorts.

Farke is growing on me but some here are a bit cultish in their following of him.

He is what he is- a young manager, learning on the job who made plenty of mistakes last season and seemingly is learning and adjusting as time goes on. Yet some want to insist he''s some master savant and everything that went last year was all part of some grand master plan.

[quote user="king canary"]@KG sorry that post wasn''t aimed at you, it was aimed at Westcoast.[/quote] And missed by a mile. It certainly isn''t me who has changed his tune now that results are coming. I''ve consistently and vociferously backed Webber and Farke and their "revolution" from the moment they were appointed. No grudging, "it''s better but I''m still to be convinced", blood-from-a-stone acknowledgements from me, as anyone who reads my posts as diligently as you do king should know.

If you actually read the post I was referring to I never said you haven''t backed them.

Just the idea that you can claim both ''he played Pinto because he bowed to fan pressure to be more entertaining'' and ''he has held his nerve throughout'' seem pretty contradictory statements.

[quote user="king canary"]Farke is growing on me but some here are a bit cultish in their following of him.

He is what he is- a young manager, learning on the job who made plenty of mistakes last season and seemingly is learning and adjusting as time goes on. Yet some want to insist he''s some master savant and everything that went last year was all part of some grand master plan.[/quote] And this is a classic example of argument by false dichotomy. People need to take seriously the fact that Farke is head coach, not first and foremost a fan like them.

I''m perfectly aware he''s not a fan thanks.

Some people need to take seriously that he didn''t arrive fully formed with all the answers and a large amount of the (actually quite reserved) stick he took last season was reasonable.

He''s learning, he''s developing and he''s improving. If you compare that to someone like Alex Neil who, when things didn''t go his way seemed to just become more and more stubborn then it is a huge positive for him. But he''s still got an awful lot to prove.

[quote user="king canary"]If you actually read the post I was referring to I never said you haven''t backed them.

Just the idea that you can claim both ''he played Pinto because he bowed to fan pressure to be more entertaining'' and ''he has held his nerve throughout'' seem pretty contradictory statements.[/quote] Quote: "Or has that narrative been canned now he''s winning games?" If that''s not a suggestion that I change my tune on the basis of the latest results I don''t know what is. 

The narrative you were pushing a few weeks ago was ''fans have pushed Farke into playing Pinto at left back to be more entertaining.'' The narrative suited you as you could blame the fans rather than admit Farke made a tactical error by playing Pinto there.

Now he''s wining the narrative is ''he''s always held his nerve.''

Basically when something goes wrong you find someone else to blame, when it goes well it is because of Farke''s grand plan.

That is what I mean changing the narrative when it suits.

@KG sorry that post wasn''t aimed at you, it was aimed at Westcoast.

Sorry mate. I did think that the post seemed a bit odd for you but I guess I should have trusted my instincts rather than the order of posts.

[quote user="king canary"]The narrative you were pushing a few weeks ago was ''fans have pushed Farke into playing Pinto at left back to be more entertaining.'' The narrative suited you as you could blame the fans rather than admit Farke made a tactical error by playing Pinto there.[/quote] Wrong, and wrong again. 

(1) I made my position on the demand for "entertainment" at Carrow Road perfectly clear in a reply to ron obvious after the Leeds game: 

"The brief comes from the board. Remember the statement about "entertaining football" issued after Hughton was sacked? Both Neil Adams and Alex Neil were appointed to play "entertaining" football; yesterday was like a re-run of so many matches over the last three years." 

As far as I''m concerned, the fans come into it only in as much as they succeed in exerting influence on the Norwich board, which in this context they did with the hostile reaction to Hughton''s attempt to address the systemic weaknesses in our play at that time 

(2) Far from refusing to "admit Farke made a tactical error by playing Pinto", my post was criticising him for exactly that, i.e. making a tactical error by playing Pinto. My opinion was that he should have reverted to prioritising defensive solidity, even if that meant selecting Husband at LB and foregoing whatever offensive benefit there might be from playing Pinto. 

I''m still no closer to understanding how someone manages to both ''succumbed to the pressure to produce "entertaining football" and ''hold their nerve throughout.''

[quote user="king canary"]I''m still no closer to understanding how someone manages to both ''succumbed to the pressure to produce "entertaining football" and ''hold their nerve throughout.''[/quote]Maybe because you insist on ignoring the difference between an interpretation put on words by a poster wanting to score a cheap point and an interpretation of those same words by someone looking to understand what was actually meant. I''ve explained what was actually meant. End of. 

Cheap point? Maybe.

But to be blunt your original point about Farke starting Pinto due to demands for more entertaining football was always fucking nonsense.

11 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

How times change...

Earlier in this thread I'd said wait until March but I think it would be entirely fair to extend his deal now.

On 03/10/2018 at 10:59, king canary said:

Cheap point? Maybe.

But to be blunt your original point about Farke starting Pinto due to demands for more entertaining football was always ****ing nonsense.

I've just noticed the naughty word in here - how did that slip through the swear filter?

This is purely a test: **** **** **** **** 😀

Just now, Nuff Said said:

I've just noticed the naughty word in here - how did that slip through the swear filter?

Obviously working again.

20 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Ha, yes I saw it somehow made it through.