Sign in to follow this  
lincsy88

Booing When The Ball Goes Back To Gunn

Really grinds my gears! Surely it''s better to keep possession of the football let the team get their shape back and build again rather than just hoof it in the box and risk being hit on the counter attack or is that just too simple a tactic for people to understand?

Depends on the situation I guess.

Firstly there are probably options that sit between ''back to the keeper'' and ''hoof it into the box'' on most occasions.

Secondly if we''re having one of our games where we don''t look like having a shot let alone scoring I understand the frustration, especially if we keep doing it.

Thirdly we''ve actually tended to have better results when we haven''t dominated possession so much. For instance our two most recent wins (Leeds and Villa) we had 52% and 43% respectively. Yet our losses to Cardiff and Sheffield came with over 60% of the ball. So the hypothesis that it is ''better to keep possession of the football'' doesn''t always seem to be true.

I think it was against Leeds that there was a groan of frustration when Lewis passed the ball back to Gunn from our halfway line. I shared that frustration because on that occasion every single other Norwich player was in-front of Lewis and Reed had specifically moved into space to receive a pass.

Wrong forum to be posting something so sensible. You have to remember that when we pass back to Gunn it is:
1) Symbolic of everything that''s wrong at this club
2) Delias fault
3) The result of playing a load of German 9756th division reserve team players.

[quote user="king canary"]Depends on the situation I guess.

Firstly there are probably options that sit between ''back to the keeper'' and ''hoof it into the box'' on most occasions.

Secondly if we''re having one of our games where we don''t look like having a shot let alone scoring I understand the frustration, especially if we keep doing it.

Thirdly we''ve actually tended to have better results when we haven''t dominated possession so much. For instance our two most recent wins (Leeds and Villa) we had 52% and 43% respectively. Yet our losses to Cardiff and Sheffield came with over 60% of the ball. So the hypothesis that it is ''better to keep possession of the football'' doesn''t always seem to be true.

I think it was against Leeds that there was a groan of frustration when Lewis passed the ball back to Gunn from our halfway line. I shared that frustration because on that occasion every single other Norwich player was in-front of Lewis and Reed had specifically moved into space to receive a pass.[/quote]

Get exactly what your saying KC. I suppose my annoyance of people booing lies when it seems like the best option and people still boo. For example a corners come in, everyone is up in the oppo penalty box, ball gets cleared to say Lewis who turns and knocks it back to Gunn so we don''t get hit on the counter, people who boo then annoy me. I agree with you however that if there is a better option that doesn''t put us in danger of a counter and we dont use a forward pass, that frustrates me somewhat.

I do agree to an extent- even before our possession obsession under Farke you''d have fans getting pissed off whenever a player passed backwards or a winger put his foot on the ball rather than running at his man.

I think you just have to look at Fulham to see how possession football can work and be pretty damn exciting to watch at times. However we''re not at that stage yet and I''m of the believe it is more than just a finishing problem.

It''s just indicative of Farke''s failed system, rather than the pass back itself.

I was keeper for years and generally speaking a pass back was only used if nothing else was on. However, I never played under a Farke system as I think all the players would have gave up and done something else on their Saturday or Sunday as sterile football is not fun for anybody. We had a duty to entertain.

We always tried to play good football, but we knew our limitations and didn''t try to play a system that we we not good enough to play.

Farke possession for the sake of possession football is one I cannot wait too see the back of, but I might have to wait a while...

i have seen a few times this season when we have tried to keep the ball at the back misplaced a pass and it went out for a throw in giving the other team a instant attacking throw in deep in our half

Also i have seen attacking on the wing then passed backwards

on either occasion it would be better to have played a direct pass and then if there is a mistake it is in the other teams last 3/4 not in ours

sometimes you need to keep the bll other times like a big sam old bolton side you need to get the ball in the other teams box and see if you an pick up 2nd ball or a mistake and bad header etc

Farke drills it into our team to keep possession and the easy option is to pass back to the keeper, rather then forward. Players trying to stay on his good side !

What I see at times is players that look a bit scared to take a risk- like they''ve been told losing the ball is the ultimate crime so turning backwards and playing a 10 yard pass is the better option than trying something that might not come off. Maddison seems to have been the exception to this.

It depends if you regard 90 minutes of passing sideways and backwards as entertainment

Me I would much rather win a game 5-4 than 1-0

Delia out stinking rich Chinese owner in

I dislike passing backwards when the opposition are out of shape and allowing them to regroup. Turn the screw.

[quote user="Chippy Minton"]

Me I would much rather win a game 5-4 than 1-0[/quote]You would still say the defence was cr@p, we had more chances than them and should have scored more, and there was not enough scampi.
You''re never happy. [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"]
[quote user="Chippy Minton"]

Me I would much rather win a game 5-4 than 1-0[/quote]You would still say the defence was cr@p, we had more chances than them and should have scored more, and there was not enough scampi.
You''re never happy. [:S]
[/quote]

You are wrong I was delighted under the Messiah

I think the problem is that the ball went back to Gunn too much early in the season. Thing is, it only has to happen once or twice now and everyone starts moaning like it’s the 100th time it’s happened in that match. I don’t think we pass the ball back to our keeper any more than any other team now.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]I think the problem is that the ball went back to Gunn too much early in the season. Thing is, it only has to happen once or twice now and everyone starts moaning like it’s the 100th time it’s happened in that match. I don’t think we pass the ball back to our keeper any more than any other team now.[/quote]

I agree it does get ''noted'' more, but Farke is to blame here. Many will forgive things such as these IF the team and manager gets results - we don''t.

Pep would only let his goalkeepers go to clubs that play out via the keeper it is Man City style. If we just went straight up the pitch every time my opinion is Gunn would never had been here as this would have not helped Man City.

Catch 22

Its hard to think many of you watched games before the back pass rule was introduced - from memory the frequency of back passes then was much higher.

I really can''t see why there is this obsession with criticising the possession football,sideways passing and kicking the ball back to the goalkeeper.

All teams play it,some better than others but it is all part of the modern game,just as goalkeepers are playing the ball out if at all possible rather than just kicking it upfield.