Sign in to follow this  
unique

Everton’s Tom Scully strongly linked to Norwich

Scully would be an excellent addition to the squad.

He can play as a central defensive midfielder.

Just another three or four signings covering this position should enable Farke to start games with three defensive midfielders helping to protect the defence, and enough left over to fill up the bench.

Or maybe at age 18 he is a player that we are looking to develop

Youth player. Nothing to get excited about. Great we buy future prospects, but you''re not going to build a team out of them.

That’s kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy isn’t it? Are you saying we shouldn’t be buying “future” prospects? Maddison and Lewis were one 12 months ago.

Let''s hope we can get Thomas Mulder as well

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Let''s hope we can get Thomas Mulder as well[/quote]

We could always try to bring David fox back...

Is he a signing that will turn us into an exceptional team though?

I really don''t see why anyone would have an issue with this. He''s captain of their u18s and been involved with the first team. He''s also free.

True.

We seem to have done quite well with these youngsters who have not originated from our own youth set-up. Maddison, Thompson and Godfrey look to be excellent acquisitions, especially if the latter two live up to expectations.

Some will fall by the wayside (pity about Ebou Adams) but it is a policy I hope we pursue.

With many Premier league clubs seeming to lack patience with some of the many youngsters they have on their books, due to the necessity of bringing in ready made and expensive imports from the market, it now seems that only the obviously very exceptional come through their ranks.

A lot of excellent prospects are either loaned out consistently or even discarded. With clubs (Man. City? Chelsea?) loaning out in excess of 40 players a limit has to be reached and good youngsters will fall by the wayside.

Let''s hope Scully is in this category.

We seem poised to benefit from this and our improving Cat. 1. development facilities are both beneficial and desirable.

i like to fact we are looking at players released free from big clubs

might not be good enough for Man utd Chelsea Everton but could do a job for us

also players get released for all sorts of reasons Everton may well have 3 Very good DM''s and just want to keep 2 this lad has just missed out

also if our under 18''s have a space or are weak in a position why not sign someone who may develop

i think money wise if you sign 100 of these free players you will have more success than one Naismith / Rvw

This was the plan, and why Webber, Farke and others were appointed.
We do not have the funds to by ready made players so our efforts are going to be concentrated on finding and developing younger players. You can add Abrahams, Phillips, Idah, Power, Fonkeu and an excellent Lewis to a much longer list.
This will take time. And all or nothing attempt at promotion would see us lumbered with wages that are unaffordable.
We have taken the root of concentrating resources on bringing on plyers. A choice that many PL clubs may not be able to ''afford'' whereby every resource is thrown at staying in the PL.
Stay with it, instead of endlessly whining that we did not return straight back to the PL.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Are you saying we shouldn’t be buying “future” prospects? Maddison and Lewis were one 12 months ago.[/quote]Of course we should. I''m just anxious to see some ready to go quality signings that will improve the team for next season.

I know about the lad but you don’t skipper a Premier League u18 side without having something about you, even it’s a strength in leadership.

He won’t cost us so like Phillips, why not get him in and see whether he can add something to us.

Of course, some will say if he was that good Everton would want to keep him but they can go and buy the finished article, we can’t.

Also Everton are a Premier League team, we''re a midtable Championship side. Good enough for us and good enough for Everton are different levels.

Seems like good succession planning to me... Tetty with Godfrey back up now, Godfrey with Scully back up later and Scully with a.n. other later on.

Of course Scully might not even come to fruition or even sign, but no doubt he and other players like him are all part of the bigger picture... OTBC