Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Disappointed at no testimonial for Wes

Has that even confirmed? If true it''s very disappointing, he certainly deserves a testimonial, I wonder why this isn''t happening?

A nice idea and if any City player of recent times justifies a testimonial, then surely it is Wes Hoolihan.

BUT, surely it is an outdated concept necessary when footballers of old were paid far less and a nest-egg prior to retirement was a very useful goodbye gesture from the fans.

With the excessive wages of pro-footballers these days this is no longer the case.

Fan''s would only be contributing their hard earned to swell Wes''s coffers which are likely to be in a far healthier state than their own.

This is not an attempt to deride or single out the admirable Wes Hoolihan in any way (see my opening paragraph.)

Perhaps the proceeds could go to a charity of the player''s choice. The numbers in attendance would be ample recognition of his services.

Cycling hat on. I am going for a ride.

The pitch is usually relaid during the summer and as no concert is being held on it this summer i assume this could well be the reason. I think our goodbyes to Wes will be limited to a cringeworthy lap of ''honour'' by the players at the end of the last home game.

Webber has said at the Trust meeting they can’t areange it as the pitch is being relaid which given we have this Inter game and the fact you can also hire the pitch in May sounds like a weak excuse.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Haha this one is sure to upset a few people who haven''t looked at the date.[/quote]So are you saying Webber did not say that as Jim Smith has pointed out ?

Why is the concept of players thanking us at the end of the season suddenly cringeworthy Til?

Forget testimonials, we need him here another season. He’s still a useful player and one we need for the potential relegation battle next season.

I welcome this news.

With the eighth highest cheapest season tickets in the country and the club already having begged the fans for £5m, the last thing we need is an additional fixture and all the expense it would entail.

We’ve been milked enough. Moo.

[quote user="hogesar"]Why is the concept of players thanking us at the end of the season suddenly cringeworthy Til?[/quote]After the most dire set of home points in many a season most of the fans will have left before the players come back onto the pitch and to walk around the pitch applauding banks and banks of empty seats is cringeworthy. If you were there last season that was bad enough don''t you think hogesar ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="hogesar"]Why is the concept of players thanking us at the end of the season suddenly cringeworthy Til?[/quote]After the most dire set of home points in many a season most of the fans will have left before the players come back onto the pitch and to walk around the pitch applauding banks and banks of empty seats is cringeworthy. If you were there last season that was bad enough don''t you think hogesar ?[/quote]

Quite. If it was cringeworthy after a record-breaking home season it will be toe-curlingly horrific after this season. I’ll stay and see though, in case I want to reference it during some future doomcasting.

Every team thanks their supporters at the end of the season, even in the grounds that have half empty seats. If you find it cringeworthy then go home, not difficult is it, unless you want to use Wes’ testimonial to have a go at the board

[quote user="X Fools"]Can''t believe a great like Wes isn''t getting a testimonial

I am now adding Webber to my list of outlets along with Delia. Stinking rich Chinese owner in[/quote]Stinking rich Wes doesn''t need one. [:S]

"Stinking rich Wes doesn''t need one."

So back to my original point Mr. L. that testimonials in the traditional sense have become somewhat surplus to the player''s needs.

Well according to social media the opinion is feck the legends game. We need this more. What I''d like to see would be both. The legends game and a Wes testimonial with proceeds going to the CSF. However community isn''t popular on other social media...

Just caught up with today''s twitter and all the arguments & difference of opinions re Wes and a testimonial for him ( a real meltdown )

Whats brought all the disagreements on is the Trust have published some notes about their q & a following their Trust AGM last Thursday and this is what they posted on their website

TESTIMONIAL FOR HOOLAHAN (SW)

Q: Will there be one?

A: Not this season as the pitch is being replaced. There will be talks with WH to see what he wants but he is so respected by all at the Club he will be given the opportunity of a send off at the last home match.

These were just brief notes which were written with good intentions to just quickly enlighten fans who didn''t go to their agm, but can I put a little more meat on the bones.

I went to the Fans Groups meeting on Friday morning which was with Stuart, Steve, Tom and I actually asked the question re Wes & a testimonial

Stuart''s reply was very positive & he said that yes Wes would get a testimonial, because he''s highly thought of by everyone at the club/fans, has been a loyal player and deserved one. He went on to add that they don''t know as yet if Wes will be here next year as the decision hasn''t been made yet, but whether he is or not he''ll definitely get one and they have already had discussions with Wes . He also added that if Wes isn''t going to be here next season then they''ll also do something special for him for the last game ( like they did for Ruddy) .

Stuart also explained that with the CSF legends game in Mid May and then the pitch being dug up and relayed, it wont take place before next season but said they will sort something with Wes & see what he''d like to do

Hope that clarify''s the situation

Oh brilliant.

We can dip into our pockets TWICE more!!!

We’ve got the eighth highest cheapest season ticket in the world and that cheapest ticket isn’t even available to the people that choose to sit somewhere else.

Hell in a handcart.

But will people dip into their pockets Dunc. It''s one thing to want a Wes testimonial when they think the nasty club are depriving them of one. Now the club are doing one will it be so popular?
Think bond....

[quote user="Diane"]Just caught up with today''s twitter and all the arguments & difference of opinions re Wes and a testimonial for him ( a real meltdown )

Whats brought all the disagreements on is the Trust have published some notes about their q & a following their Trust AGM last Thursday and this is what they posted on their website

TESTIMONIAL FOR HOOLAHAN (SW)

Q: Will there be one?

A: Not this season as the pitch is being replaced. There will be talks with WH to see what he wants but he is so respected by all at the Club he will be given the opportunity of a send off at the last home match.

These were just brief notes which were written with good intentions to just quickly enlighten fans who didn''t go to their agm, but can I put a little more meat on the bones.

I went to the Fans Groups meeting on Friday morning which was with Stuart, Steve, Tom and I actually asked the question re Wes & a testimonial

Stuart''s reply was very positive & he said that yes Wes would get a testimonial, because he''s highly thought of by everyone at the club/fans, has been a loyal player and deserved one. He went on to add that they don''t know as yet if Wes will be here next year as the decision hasn''t been made yet, but whether he is or not he''ll definitely get one and they have already had discussions with Wes . He also added that if Wes isn''t going to be here next season then they''ll also do something special for him for the last game ( like they did for Ruddy) .

Stuart also explained that with the CSF legends game in Mid May and then the pitch being dug up and relayed, it wont take place before next season but said they will sort something with Wes & see what he''d like to do

Hope that clarify''s the situation[/quote]

That is certainly the gist of what was said at the Trust meeting. But reading social media today you would think Wes had been kicked out & told never to return to Carrow Road. I guess any stick to beat the club wil do.

I hope that a really special game can be arranged next season & not some Mickey Mouse rush job like some fans now appear to want.

Oh and by the way the Legends game is CSF, an independent charity, not Norwich City

Year of the Tiger - That''s good news then cause if Stuart said exactly the same thing at the Trust AGM Thurs night & our fans groups meeting on Friday morning, it means he''s consistent.