Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Replacements?

If Edwards really is a "mini Messi" then he could score goals for us if we use a false 9 ?

I''d rather we did sign a striker and a RB - loans for both positions would make sense

From the horse''s mouth at the press conf. for tomorrow:

"We want two or three new players in the short-term but also want to strengthen for the summer. We will have a bigger squad at the end of January."

I''d give Webber at least 4 windows as such a large rebuild takes time, constantly tearing up the structure behind the scenes is a recipe for disaster, and another large part of the reason Norwich are in the situation they find themselves now.

Sporting Directors should never be judged in the short-term, as there isn''t a huge amount they can change in 6 months to a year, you have to look at their work in the whole - from what was happening when they started to where they are heading.

I know that doesn''t fit into the whole ''I need instant success'' mentality that is hyped through a constant media diatribe, but it is probably the best thing for the football club over the long term.

I''ve read the thread and there are valuable arguments on both sides...as so often is the case. But I can follow Lincoln when he says that we are leaving ourselves short at the moment!

Webber is not thinking of the clubs best interests if he does that!

Cam sold, Pritch sold and not many names being touted as their replacements... Ok it''s still early...but we''re short atm... no one can deny that imo

As to what Bethnal has said and i think he would agree, and what i believe to be where we are right now, neither play offs nor relegation are anything but small, slim, possibilities so "effectively" take them out of the equation and we are where we will be come end season. He is correct in that X points from a play off place is secondary to how many teams lay between City and that play off place, right now its 7.At no time would Farke say there is no chance of a play off place until its mathematically  impossible, but he has been honest and realistic in saying fans talking about a push for play offs is not good right now, if nothing else it piles pressure on his young players and smaller squad. Our DF is pragmatic, he will take each game as it comes, and if it transpires that City get nearer 6th place  much later in this season, then sure , he will talk about it in a more realistic tone. Just way to early to even think of play off place. One thing Bethnal was right about also, City will not be doing high expensive bat s**t signings, those days are done.As to rest of this window, who knows, we could get 1 or 2 more in, if not we go with what we have. Sure, 1 striker and 1 RB is not ideal, but if push comes to shove, the existing squad have the means to shuffle players  around. DF mentioned about City having to be creative about new signings, that would apply also to any injuries in our weakened areas. No doubt about it, our set up is now geared for long term evolve over 2, maybe 3 seasons, not a "quick fix and rush that small shot at glory" attitude.

Where I do agree with Lincoln though is we really do need depth.

It would be a huge shame if we went on a great run, found ourselves in the top 6 come mid march only to be derailed by Nelson getting injured without decent competition.

Essjayess and Bethnal - I''m fully on board with the overhaul, but here''s a specific question - who would play on the right side of defence (wing back or full back) if Pinto was injured or suspended? Do you think he''d put Tettey or Reed or someone else there?

I''m not saying no one should come in, but I feel Norwich shouldn''t move on anyone who wasn''t an identified long-term target.

For example, when Norwich sold Brady they suddenly needed a left winger and rushed into an expensive mistake in the form of Wildschut. They wanted to replace Brady, who played left back and left wing, is left footed and main strength was in his delivery. What they bought was a Wildschut, who is right footed, can''t defend and has zero delivery.

I think Norwich should get in some players on loan and not risk a huge amount of money right now. Farke''s comments seem to suggest this when he talked about ''short term targets'', the most interesting comment is a player who is an option to make permanent in the summer - which sounds like he has someone very specific in mind.

Norwich managed to keep most of their transfers in the summer under wraps until just before they signed, the Edwards thing was only rumored for a couple of hours before Norwich confirmed it. I expect the same with their existing signings so far this window.

BYG - I understand what your saying, and it does make sense. But your argument only stacks up if Webber is the right man.

If he isn''t, and the jury is very much still out, then it''s an awfully long time to wait to realise he''s not up to it. And in what state might we be in then? Therefore, Webber has to be judged in the short term too, and so far i''m struggling to think of many positives.

I like to play devils advocate at this point. Had we not gone for Webber and brought in an experienced manager, a Warnock type for this season, I really feel we could have gone up. That would have mean''t keeping the likes or Howson and Pritchard for the season.

I understand the clubs strategy with Webber, and the subsequent re-structuring. But I just can''t help but feel we''ve done it 6-12 months too early and thrown away a genuine chance of promotion this season.

And now because we''ve gone down the Webber route, were accepting downing tools half way through the season.

A bit of short term thinking for this season might not necessarily have been a bad thing.

Not a bad point Bethnal and I think a good loan signing would massively help if the player is motivated (no Harry Kane in NCFC shirt please).

The problem is accute though as , like many have pointed out, we do not have cover up top nor at RB... So the signings will have to be made, a loan or a permanent deal

To be fair, I’m pretty happy with our starting 11 for now. We just need some capable cover up front, in dm and at right back. We haven’t won a game without pinto playing in nearly 2 years and the record is similar without tettey playing.

If only we had a solid, physical, dm that can cover at right back... (yes I know Godfrey is getting much needed experience...)

We need a prems team equivalent of Godfrey for the rest of the season basically. Perhaps stiepermann is that guy tho?

Playing devil''s advocate to your devil though, what if Warnock (or alike) hadn''t got Norwich promoted? The club would be in absolute dire straights and we''d see what a real ''fire sale'' looks like.

Would not have received the £20m+ for Pritchard and Murphy and would be flogging off everyone, for what ever they offer. Pushing right up against the end of parachute payments could have risked the long term future of Norwich City and in my opinion risk a drop to league one and the almost certain lose of the Cat 1 academy. By doing it now, Norwich have had more time to reduce costs and choice what is really important to the club - the academy

Norwich should have done the restructure a season earlier in my opinion. Then there could have been one season of getting it to work and then another with parachute payments to cover a small amount of extra spending.

As for Webber, it is almost impossible to judge him from the outside. Transfer dealings are only a small part of his work while sorting out the academy and the whole youth structure is arguably a bigger job. Even with the transfer dealings you would say he has done okay - Vrancic, Trybull, Stiepermann, Zimmermann have been good considering the tiny amounts spend on them.

Webber''s specialty is in youth recruitment and development, this is where he started and is most engaged. I think signings of players like Phillips, Mourgos, Idah etc could be where he shows he real strengths - as well as seeing academy players actually making it into the Norwich first team. Lewis seems to have been completely overlooked under the previous management, but with Webber and Farke he is excelling in the first team. That isn''t a coincidence. Part of the reason Webber left Huddersfield is because he was told the academy was going to close, that was not something he wanted and left a promotion bound team because of it.

You are right to say that the structure is not the people, and if Webber does fail it means Norwich have to scrap the whole idea of a Sporting Director - but it would also be a mistake to make a knee jerk reaction and boot him out with the work only half done.

From what I''ve seen Webber is the ideal man and I do not feel we could afford or need anybody better.

Will everything he does be a success... No

But let''s not lose sight of the fact that he''s already done the business with another club... That''s good enough proof for me.

Regarding the desperation for a striker, maybe whilst waiting for an ideal opportunity he will cover that with the false 9

I do feel we need cover for Pinto, who else do we have in the squad right now who can cover right WB/RB?

And as has already been mentioned, Webber keeps his signings close to his chest a few hours before being announced... And maybe by then they''ve already signed on the dotted line.

I still do not think our season is over but I do feel we need another year to help rebuild.

This season is not “over” or “done.”

We are 6 points off the playoffs and hitting a bit of form. It’s stupid that we are risking our recent resurgence by leaving ourselves short of cover in key areas. It need to be addressed pre Brentford.

6 points to make up over 19 games and people think/accept the line we’ve got nothing to play for. Ridiculous.

@ BYG - For the scenraio I posed, I''d assumed the sale of Murphy still taking place.

Howson would have stayed at the expense of Vrancic, Franke and Steipermann. Prithcard would have been kept in January, as we didn''t need to sell (according to the club).

Then if we''d failed to gain promotion, sell Pritchard in the summer. We''d be no worse off, but the chances of promotion higher. So I don''t believe we''d have been in dire straights waiting to re-structure this summer.

Apparently we have just tabled a 1.7m offer, not sure how new this is... Just seen the post made 3 hours ago?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2195644/transfer-news-live-latest-deals-man-utd-arsenal-chelsea/

Scroll down the page... sorry no clicky

Lincoln,

If you think just selling Murphy and Pritchard will cover the financial problems Norwich will have when they don''t achieve promotion then you are under estimating the situation.

Also, Howson expressed a desire to leave when Norwich were relegated. He was convinced to give it a season, he would not have given it two - he was always going to go.

On top of that, there would be no point getting in a Warnock-esque manager without signing the players they need to make their systems work. Those managers also would not join Norwich without being given certain reassurances over transfer budget etc.

Norwich would have a situation where there were sticking plasters, on sticking plasters on sticking plasters. I don''t think it would be a recipe for success and Norwich would be in a worse situation than they are likely to be this summer having gone for the restructure.

I suspect neither of us will ever change our views on this, and ultimately neither of us will ever be vindicated - because Norwich have chosen one path doesn''t mean others wouldn''t have been successful.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Howson would have stayed at the expense of Vrancic, Franke and Steipermann. Prithcard would have been kept in January, as we didn''t need to sell (according to the club). [/quote]Howson wanted out and once Huddersfield came in for Pritchard, the chance of playing in the Prem would have turned his head. Are you seriously suggesting we''d have been promoted with players who were unsettled?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Howson would have stayed at the expense of Vrancic, Franke and Steipermann. Prithcard would have been kept in January, as we didn''t need to sell (according to the club). [/quote]Howson wanted out and once Huddersfield came in for Pritchard, the chance of playing in the Prem would have turned his head. Are you seriously suggesting we''d have been promoted with players who were unsettled?[/quote]

How do you know they would have been unsettled? Is Maddison unsettled with all the interest? Howson made the point of rubbishing some of Webber''s comments about him wanting to leave.

Some players, believe it or not, love playing football and are professional in going about it.

Frustrated or not, I''m pretty confident Pritchard would have continued his MOM performnces for the rest of the season.

As BYG points out, it''s all irrelevant to some degree. But you are wrong to assume every player becomes unsettled if there is interested or bids from other clubs.

After all, all the talk surrounding Pritchard in the summer was that he was happy to be at Norwich for this season. And no doubt clubs were interested then.

Having clubs interested is one thing but having serious bids come in is another. If one of the top clubs come in for Maddison offering to treble his wages and the chance to perform in the Prem, do you think he will say "nah, I''m happy here"?

[quote user="lappinitup"]Having clubs interested is one thing but having serious bids come in is another. If one of the top clubs come in for Maddison offering to treble his wages and the chance to perform in the Prem, do you think he will say "nah, I''m happy here"? [/quote]

Interest / bids.... is there really much difference in terms of the players psych?

With all the interest Maddison knows all he has to do is request a move and he''s gone. There will be bids waiting for him. But he seems professional, and is appears to be sensibly advised. Hence why he is still here.

But ultimately he knows he can get his wages trebled tomorrow if he wants... so in answer to your question, at the moment I feel that''s exactly what he''s saying.

After a couple of loan spells and now this run in the first team, I imagine Maddison has learnt that playing is the most valuable thing for him.

Even if he is sold (this month or in the Summer), I wouldn''t be surprised to see him return, or be sent straight out on loan

Is this 19th January or the 29th?

So much talk on this thread seems to be that we have not signed anyone in the January window and will not.

Am I the only one who thinks that in another 12 days we can make a serious change to our squad?

I will be amazed if we have not added to what we have now (we might even lose somebody else as well).