Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Replacements?

Because he left.

If he didn''t want to he would have stayed. We are Championship

He was probably offered more money by Huddersfield and the chance of PL football.

To suggest he was forced out of the club because we needed the money ignores the fact that players like him are itinerants who have agents who get them bigger deals.

I''ll bet Pritchard is not a Huddersfield player this time next year. If he does well he will seek bigger bucks.

That''s the way football and footballers are nowadays because of all the money splashing around.

Pritchard was a class player and gone now, who cares if he wanted to go or the club had to sell, pretty much both in reality.

But I’m not convinced we need any more strikers, I’m all for giving our youth strikers a go, Fonkue & Abraham’s should be utilised. I don’t think we should be spending loads when on paper we have two really good young strikers with bags of potential right here.

Edwards is a good replacement for Wilds/Pritchard, so not too bothered if we don’t see too much more in, I’d hate to see an over aged loan striker given the chance over our own youngsters, when IMO both can make the step up.

"Because he left"

So on that basis, he wanted to leave after the club accepted a bid for him.

You originally made out he wanted to leave therefore the club had no choice but to sell him. Truth is we don''t know.

But just because I, and others, choose to question the club over the transfer at this stage (January) is not negative, and nor should it be thrown out by other supporters.

Maddison will leave at some point. But not until the club decides they want to sell him. As soon as a bid is accepted he''ll be off, but nobody is turning around now and saying he doesn''t want to be here.

Even if we spend £3m-£5m on 2 or 3 new players then it would be something.

Our wage bill must have been cut so much by Pritchard leaving and the impending departures of Martin and Jerome will only help free some wages up.

Go and get 3 new younger top League One players, pay £1m-£2m each for them and see what they can do around better players. There must be some good players who also have contracts up in the summer so can come in at a reasonable cost to us with their clubs happy to take a fee for them

But Jeagle, we have three top players out on loan in league 1, why go out and pay for others, why not wait for their return in the summer?

Still can’t believe we could buy better strikers from league 1 than we have in Fonkue or Abrahams, I think we’d need to be spending a few million to better those options.

Farke bigged up Abrahams'' progress in today''s press conference, but then said he wasn''t ready for the first team. Can''t see him getting a game any time soon.

The debate around desire to leave is pretty pointless, it''s the same as anyone.

Ask someone happy in their £25k a year job if they want to leave, they''ll probably say no.

Offer them £60k to work in a more prestigious industry, they''ll probably say yes.

So he wanted to leave as much as anyone else in that situation would.

[quote user="kirku"]The debate around desire to leave is pretty pointless, it''s the same as anyone.

Ask someone happy in their £25k a year job if they want to leave, they''ll probably say no.

Offer them £60k to work in a more prestigious industry, they''ll probably say yes.

So he wanted to leave as much as anyone else in that situation would.[/quote]

Completely agree. Its the justification of the sale because Pritchard ‘wanted to leave’ I don’t agree with.

One way traffic on transfers at the moment. So much so it''s difficult to keep up with who is actually still here, apart of course from Jarvis.

It is of course really frustrating at the moment, but we can only really judge at the end of the window.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]Isn''t 2 in, Sean Raggett & Marcus Edwards?

[/quote]

Yeah you''re right, including Raggett, that''s two. But a League two defender and a player with no first team experience at all, are hardly suitable replacements for a championship club at this stage of the season.

We need two or three more in, ready to come straight into the side. You''d have thought we''d have people lined up given the amount of departures... so one (me) might assume Webber is struggling to get them over the line.

I would have thought Norwich fans knew the risk of the club panic buying players by now.

Probably best to get in some loanees for the rest of the season and then Webber''s first choice targets in the summer, rather than tearing around and bringing in more players like Jarvis, Becchio et al.

Baring a minor miracle Norwich''s season is effectively done. Not going to get relegated and not going to make the play-offs (yes Norwich are 6 points off, but they need to out perform at least 7 teams over the rest of the season - nothing from this season so far suggests that is particularly likely).

Webber is long term planning, and while that isn''t particularly exciting, it is pragmatic. I''d rather Norwich sign very few players now, and then bring in better players in June than spend a huge fee on someone like Wildschut just to sign a player.

[quote user="Alfie54"]It is of course really frustrating at the moment, but we can only really judge at the end of the window.[/quote]

Have to disagree with this Alfie. If there were no games in January, fair enough. But since there are, we shouldn''t be leaving ourselves short. Which is exactly what we are tomorrow.

From a quick glance at the squad, we have...

1 striker, attitude has been questioned over & over again

1 right back, who went off virtually exhausted weds night

1 winger, who is in good form but has been in poor form this season

That''s simply not enough for this league. I don''t see the logic in selling Jerome without having his replacement lined up, its not exactly uncommon not to sell until you have a player lined up

BYG - the defeatist attitude to this season is crazy.

Currently I don''t believe we''ll make the playoffs. Not with the current squad. But two or three quality signings, then it could be possible. The championship is full of examples of teams going on late runs to sneak into the playoffs.

Allowing the club to accept this season is done, is disgraceful. We''re 6 points off the playoffs FFS.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I would have thought Norwich fans knew the risk of the club panic buying players by now.

Probably best to get in some loanees for the rest of the season and then Webber''s first choice targets in the summer, rather than tearing around and bringing in more players like Jarvis, Becchio et al.

Baring a minor miracle Norwich''s season is effectively done. Not going to get relegated and not going to make the play-offs (yes Norwich are 6 points off, but they need to out perform at least 7 teams over the rest of the season - nothing from this season so far suggests that is particularly likely).

Webber is long term planning, and while that isn''t particularly exciting, it is pragmatic. I''d rather Norwich sign very few players now, and then bring in better players in June than spend a huge fee on someone like Wildschut just to sign a player.[/quote]

Fine but them don''t allow Godfrey. Morris etc to go out on loan.

We have one recognised striker who can not hit a barn door at the moment, one right back and one winger. Will I get a refund for our season being "effectively done" before the end of January?

I think this season is over, and I''d much rather the club spend it''s money wisely than rushing into some transfers, that can result in players being at the club 3 or 4 years, on the off chance they can make the play-offs. This is the bat-sh*t crazy way Norwich have been running all their transfer windows in recent seasons and it has blown up in the clubs face.

Also, of the players sold, only Pritchard was getting into the first team regularly, and that was only for the last month or so. So while additions to the squad are needed, the first team is largely untouched. Pritchard has been replaced by Edwards and it looks like this Maclean chap from Aberdeen will be along shortly. Cantwell didn''t look out of place against Chelsea, and I''m not saying any of these guys are as good as Pritchard, but there is pretty much no way Norwich could go out and get a ready made replacement for him.

Should Norwich have turned down the money for Jerome? No way. If that means being short of a striker on the bench for a couple of games then so be it.

I''d much rather a club that looks 6 months/1 year ahead than 14 days ahead. That short-termist thinking is why Jarvis was given a permanent deal. No thanks, no more of that.

I agree Bethnal no point in buying players for the sake of it.

Players out on loan were not going to be playing for us so we have reduced wages for a period of time Martin, CJ, Wildshut, Naismith, Godfrey and Morris, were not going to play Godfrey may play next season as he has been fantastic at Shrewsbury.

Pritchard was offered a chance to play in the premiership and the money was too good to turn down in our situation.

If we bring in players I don''t think we will spend much money we will look for the bargain only Pritchard was playing first team football and we have already replaced him, I think more will come but only if the transfers meet what Webber is happy with, but i suppose we will see.

@tricky

It doesnt matter if they were playing though. Football is a squad game, its not about the 11 players on the pitch.

What happens if Nelson has more injury issues?

What happens if Pinto has more injury issues?

What happens if Murphy pulls a hamstring?

We have very few players ready to step in

Not every player bought in January is a ''panic signing''

Yes Norwich have a poor record, but we now have a designated ''football'' man to make sure we don''t panic buy.

A bit of due diligence and there''s no reason why decent signings can''t be made.

And if they can''t, well you make sure you don''t leave yourself weaker by selling. Which is the situation we are currently in. It is simply not right to say the season is over, therefore we can debilitate accordingly. If the fans accept this, whats the point?

We all know that cover/ challenging for positions is required but if the right players are not there for us now then we work with what we have got, as Baboon has said its a team sport and sometimes players will move positions for the good of the team, the right players maybe available in the summer.

GKs - Gunn, McGovern, Oxborough

Defenders - Pinto, Raggett, Zimmermann, Klose, Hanley, Lewis, Husband

Midfielders - Tettey, Trybull, Vrancic, Reed, Edwards, Maddison, Wes, Stiepermann

Forwards - Oliveira, Murphy, Watkins

Others - Cantwell, Abrahams, Fonkeu

Long-term injured - Jarvis, Thomson

The only places I think we look light are a right back and a striker and I think we''ll see them in the next 10 days.

It''s a balancing act.

I''m not saying Norwich will sign no one, but Webber has always made it clear Norwich are planning 2, 3 or 4 windows ahead.

I think Norwich''s plan changed as the season went on as the result meant they aren''t looking like play-off contenders. Webber talked about nothing really happening in January just after the summer window closed as he felt it was a less favorable time to do business - this plan has obviously changed and the club have taken advantage of prices being higher and clubs being prepared to spend more on wages than in the summer. The Jerome deal looks like a very opportunist deal to get one of the biggest wage packages off the books, for a very good price for a 31 year old striker who has struggled to score.

However, the issue is many of the player identified as potential signings probably aren''t available until the summer, or for a premium now. Farke was seen with Onel Hernandez which shows Norwich are very keen on him, but his club have said they aren''t looking to sell in January. A bit of context behind this is that German clubs tend to avoid using the January window unless they are really forced to, they are more likely to arrange transfer in January, but to be completed in the summer. This could explain why Norwich aren''t able to bring in some of their top targets now, as you would expect German to be prime hunting ground for them. So, yes, signings can be made, but waiting a few months means a wider choice of targets and better value in the market. When Norwich need to make every penny count, that seems like a more sensible approach.

So, to cover the January to May part of the season I expect the club to look at loans (Edwards), or players they feel they can get below market value due to expiring contracts (Maclean). Webber has shown last summer and his time at Huddersfield, that he has no problem making signings (he brought in 15 players in his last summer at Huddersfield, and 15 last summer at Norwich).

I''m intrigued to see what happens this January, but unlike previous seasons it doesn''t seem so pressurised to ''do good business''.

Sorry thats way too over-simplified.

Take defenders for example, Listing them like that - but there is no cover for right back.

Midfielders - virtually every player listed is a CM

Forwards - only 1 of them is a striker

We may well see them in the next 10 days, but these are issues we have had since August. instead we have got rid of any genuine cover (Jerome, Wildschut & Martin) and are hoping we dont get any injuries

Nothing wrong with using the loan market for now but we do really need a striker to come in.

As Bethnal said I''d imagine we''re doing a fair amount of groundwork for the summer right about now.