Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Nelson Oliveira.

One of the biggest questions for me regarding this summer is can we keep him for another season in the Championship? What is the likelihood?. In all honesty I fear he''ll be off to a promoted team etc, but would like to hear others who can convince me otherwise!

I believe AN and the board have said they do not need to sell, but are committed to a clear out. He will be under contract so therefore unless the price is right or he throws a tantrum he will be staying.

Hope he stays, he signed for us in the champs so no reason to think anything should change, unless a suitable offer for all is received.

Assuming we''re still a Championship club next season he''ll do really well I think.Probably the one shining light out of all AN''s signings. The guy''s got class. Could well top the Championship scoring charts if he carries on performing how he has been for most of the time he''s been here.We really must try and hang on to him.

If we want to get out of this division next season then I feel it''s imperative we keep him. I think we''ve seen enough to know why he''s played more than a handful of times upfront for Portugal, he oozes ability and I''ve been so impressed with him (silly sending off aside). We must do whatever it takes to convince him to stay, as to be fair he, like many people, probably didn''t expect us to still be in the Championship next season (minor miracle aside) - that''s why we may have a battle to keep him. What with Pinto, I''d like to see us sign a few more Portuguese players, they seem to do alright at Carrow Rd!.

I think he''s currently a player that many of us can see has got a lot of class and if conditions are right could do real well.

However, his lack of fitness at the start of the season and injury layoff would mean I don''t think many other clubs who are a step up from us will be looking at him as a serious option.

I think a fully-fit NO as first choice in the Championship would bag some serious goals with good service.

I think the promoted teams will be looking at different options personally. Good player though, not sure his abilities will mark him out as a wanted man in the prem, not yet.

[quote user="im spartacus canary "]Oliveira will stay ! Don''t you listen to his interviews? He has been loaned out from pillar to post all his career and wants to settle down for a bit . If the club want him he will be here .[/quote]

Now you mention it, I do remember that Spartacus. Nevertheless, I hope whatever''s announced this coming week will be encouraging to the likes of Nelson - a bigger ''name'' manager, rightly or wrongly, may now be an important move if we want to keep our better players, if anything just to show them we mean business, and can therefore be a more attractive proposition to the signings we want.

He''s a good striker but I agree that I can''t see him being in high demand- his last crack at the Premier League didn''t go brilliantly.

I agree with those who want him to stay, but most would probably also want Jerome to stay as well - he''s a very useful player at Championship level.

So far we have little evidence at their ability to play together. Would that be possible, or are they destined to be in perpetual competition, and neither to play a full season?

Perhaps I am asking whether either of them can be a supplier to the other, or are they too similar? If we could find a way to use both together, presumably without Wes, Pritchard or Naismith, they could be a lethal combination in the Championship next year.

I''m confident he''ll stay, as will Jerome. I''m hoping though that we''ll see a new striker arrive in the summer to mix it up. We cannot rely on just Nelson and Cam.

Carlton Morris signed a new contract last week, so he''ll be striker no.3 next season, assuming we keep Cam Jam and Oliveira

We''ll need one more striker, Morris NEEDS blooding next season properly. Has to play more in my book. I''d like to see Oli, Morris, Jerome and someone else in that pecking order.

That''s one major positive about having another Champ season, getting the youngsters through. Had we gone up this year they wouldn''t have gotten a sniff and we''d probably have to buy some more half arsed players and the likelihood of relegation yet again.

A blend of experience and youth is what should have happened this season, with Morris, Canos, Pritchard, Godfrey, Maddison, Toffolo, Thompson etc learning alongside Jerome, Naismith, Wes, Tettey etc. Their progress was blocked by having too many expensive older players on the books who we couldn''t offload.

The only real development we''ve seen is the Murphys - though Thompson had begun to find his way into the team.

I still think next season is too early for Morris. He needs a proper loan spell somewhere, maybe at a League One club. We loaned him to Rotherham in January to get some games and I don''t think he''s even put one of their shirts on yet.

Rummun, Morris has been laid off for 6 or 7 weeks with a hamstring problem I believe, and has not even kicked a ball for the Millers. As far as I''m aware, he''s back for Rotherham''s last 9 games - will be interested to see how he does, would prefer to see him loaned out at Championship level next season to see where he''s truly at.

Keeping hold of Pinto, Howson, Oliviera, Pritchard & the younger guys like Maddison, Thompson & the Murphys is hugely important for next year.

Well we''ll have to see who the new manager wants. There''s no guarantee he''ll want to rely on youth with it being so important we get promoted next season. It''s going to be very interesting!