Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

Only Rotherham & Nottm Forest have conceded more goals than us.

Not when you have a manager who keeps the same keeper in who gifted most of the goals at Brighton , what message does that give Ruddy might as well leave now! Then just when we get back level against Leeds goes down like a sack of spuds to a shot most professional keepers would save.

Players have lost faith in manager and captain time to get shot of both!

Every game we run out of steam players are not fit enough for ninety mins which shows in second half every time.

The most worrying thing is actually when those goals are being conceded.

We''ve actually only conceded 5 goals in the first half of league matches. I accept that generally more goals are scored in the second half as games become stretched, but it does show defensively the basics are there for us to be at least competent in that department.

However, we''ve conceded an incredible 22 goals in the second half of matches. What has been noticeable particularly against Fulham and Leeds is how we really struggled to match the intensity and athleticism of both of those teams.

You therefore have to ask the question - are these players fit enough and strong enough (both mentally and physically)? The answer appears to be a resounding no.

Ruddy gave away plenty of gifts before Neil dropped him last season.

I don''t think McGovern was that bad yesterday. The third goal he could have reacted quicker but the biggest fault was our woefully unaware, disorganised and ill-disciplined set-play defence.

He pulled off a number of decent saves as well, it could have been more than 3 but for McGovern yesterday.

McGovern should have saved the 3rd goal but he actually had a decent game yesterday and made a number of decent saves. What we have to remember is that Ruddy isn''t a better alternative. He made an equally poor mistake at Leeds in the cup and was very unconvincing at Blackburn making some poor mistakes in that game.

The goalkeeping issue is undoubtedly a concern but what''s going on in front of him and the overall fitness of the team itself are much greater concerns for me right now.

FFS, It''s not about just shot stopping!!!!

McGovern does not command or organise his defense. He has no presence. whilst ruddy may be prone to the odd mistake, he does do all this. I''m convinced we are stronger with him in the side, and would concede fewer goals.

If McGovern was so good, why didn''t Neil bring him to the club when he left Hamilton? He saw him have a decent euros and made a knee jerk reaction. He is not good enough, it is blatantly obvious. The players don''t fear or respect him, he''s too quiet and anonymous. The best keepers have always commanded respect and drawn a bit of fear from team mates.

Ruddy was ok generally after he came back into the side last season when it became apparant that Rudd wasnt up to it.

You get the feeling that even if he didnt get injured at the start of this season , Neil would have dropped him for McGovern at the first whiff of a bad game from Ruddy.

The same must be applied to McGovern, if he''s out of form, Ruddy must be given another chance.

McGovern wasn''t very good yesterday. Couldn''t catch a cold, and couldn''t kick for toffee. That doesn''t go unnoticed by the players and doesn''t exactly inspire confidence. If the team around you aren''t confident in you then they become inhibited in their performance resulting in more pressure and more goals conceded.

Spot on Lincoln. The GK is key to good defence, also needs to organise, take control of his area. This one fails to do that. Our last clean sheet was at Everton with Ruddy in goal. McGovern was a freeby, with no club - wonder why?

The saves McGovern made yesterday were ones you''d fully expect a pro gk to make.

He parried nearly everything. he''d make a fine volleyball player i should imagine.

The 3rd goal was 30 yards plus i should imagine. Should have been a comfortable save.

Nevermind ey

Last season Fulham scored more goals than Middlesbrough (66 in total) but conceded more than anyone. They finished 20th. The way we were playing at the start of the season was clearly not sustainable.

Jacko you make a fantastic point. the fact we seem to turn into Ipswich reserves in second halves is urely down o more than just on paper ability. it points to a lack of mental strength and/or tactical strength and game management. it''s the sort of stat you''d expect a youth team playing in a senior league to have or a newly promoted non league side going and playing professionals for the first time.

To me it suggests one or a few of the following.

1. Undermotivated players - yes I''m sure they can all say they want to play for us etc. but in the professional game in this league you need to be 100% up for it, I have a feeling the likes of Brady, klose, olsson and Tettey have lost their drive. For me it''s time to sell these as soon as a good offer comes in. Klose I''d potentially say is more struggling to adapt to the style of the championship than Undermotivated.

2. Tactical set up - for me, Thompson playing today was a difference between us losing 5-2 and 3-2. Yes he''s not the most polished of players and gives the ball away sometimes but you can''t argue with his energy and drive. I have watched both Leeds and Preston come here and put 2 banks behind the ball when under pressure and soak it up. Any time the ball goes in our half we look out of position, shaky and slow to react. this leaves our 2 centre backs a hell of a lot to do. For me as tidy as Dorrans is, he lacks the physicality we need from him at the moment and miss howsons energy or even Gary O''Neils bite. Tettey looks tired and dodgy as well.

To add to this, we play with attacking full backs and I feel Olsson is massively overrated as well as we look vulnerable far to often own his side. he doesn''t seem to win enough vs wingers facing him.

3. Lack of fitness - seems to me after watching the last few our players simply don''t win enough of the 50 50s and are consistently outpaced and out maneuvered. see leeds 2nd goal for the classic summing up of this. This could be either a lack of desire to chase every ball or simply that the players aren''t fit enough to do so. kind of the same thing though but you have to wonder if they would be able to be motivated into doing more or if that is simply all they can do.

Ruddy does not command his area any better than McGovern.

He was rightly criticised on here for this weakness as he was continually flapping at crosses, too indecisive at set pieces and generally lacking in confidence. Ruddy was at the top of his game about 4/5 years ago but unfortunately has never regained the confidence and more importantly the consistent form from that time.

Ruddy also had WAY too many chances when performing badly last season. McGovern has one bad game and should be dropped? Talk about the effect that would have on Ruddy, what effect would that have on McGovern?

This is pure scapegoating yet again. Critisism when deserved yes as he had a poor game at Brighton but perspective needed too please.

No, Ruddy doesn''t command his area well. But at least he tries and by Championship standards is adequate at it. McGovern is utterly hopeless at this and almost never leaves his line. When he does try to come for something we see why he doesn''t try it very often.

League 1 level keeper and no better than Rudd imo. What a pointless signing.

We looked pretty solid up until the Birmingham game. Rather than putting it down to a bad day at the office and sticking by the team he''s spent the rest of the time chopping and changing the back 4 (not all AN fault especially with Pinto struggling for fitness) but IMO we certainly aren''t looking any more composed with Martin in the team and Bennetts confidence after being dropped and finding himself 4th choice for the Newcastle game has looked terrible since.

IMO AN needed to sign a centre back who felt 100% confident in or if that centre back is Russ Martin he needed to make sure he had a decent understudy for Pinto at Right Back.