Sign in to follow this  
morty

Performance.

@crabby.....I would be delighted of course because we would be odds on for automatic promotion in such a scenario. Yet can you see us 5-7 points clear in the next 6 games playing the way we have.? Truly?

It''s about momentum and Newcastle''s performances will give such belief. Much like our League 1 days and the under Lambert in the Champs. ....You have to create a whole mentality ....like Ferguson did. You need to create momentum and belief.. These things are all the job of top managers ....I just hope Neil has still got it and can inspire the players. Not feeling it quite yet. But in half a dozen games it could happen.

My concern would be City winning with the players all having a shift. The judges awarding us high marks for performance as well could see some on here struggling badly come Sat night.What will they have to moan about ?

An interesting question Morty. I guess that as we are away then any win is good. Although, if we manage to get ourselves in an extremely comfortable position, as with the last 2 games, and then almost throw it away again then I would still feel unconvinced at the team - and have a lack of confidence in future games. Worth noting that this scenario would also depend on the initial performance and how we get the goals. I feel we have been a bit fortuitous in our opening goals against both Cardiff and Wigan. If it happens again and we still can''t close out the game convincingly then I''d feel a little concerned about what lies ahead - although delighted with the result of course.

If we are dominant but everything goes against us and we lose then I''d feel gutted. But at the same time I''d feel more confident about our next fixture. So it''s hard to decipher between the two.

There are hundreds of variations for each scenario but I guess I''d go with whichever outcomes leaves me feeling most positive about the team! Obviously I''d prefer to get the result AND feel convinced by the team - and that doesn''t at all mean we have to thrash them! Fingers crossed for that then...

[quote user="sonyc"]@morty.....there are few things nicer than a 1-0 win away actually and I tend to think we have really ground out a result if we do that but would I like to see poor football every week and yet somehow scratch results then the answer is no for me. I am a purist and like free flowing football. Same even with the teams on the TV. It gets turned off quickly when I get bored. It''s an entertainment thing and Norwich or not I want BOTH! But an interesting question. I want to see some style....or rather philosophically speaking....what is the point of it all, life included. It''s about making the most of it while we are here. And City managers need to understand that![/quote]Great stuff[Y]

Good performances without the results will only take you so far, in regards to building something.Winning, regardless of performance breeds confidence.I think its a good thing we have had the start we have had, not too much to get us down, and not too much to get carried away with, and get over confident.

How would AN be perceived if we played really well in the next 6 /10 games , but didn''t get anywhere near, ''just'' reward, in terms of points?

sonyc, surely there is some form of momentum in winning games (we have lost only 1 in 7 don''t forget) Are Newcy peaking? What do you think will happen if most of our players, suddenly hit a 8 out of 10 performance in a game? We haven''t hit anything like peak performance, but we are 4th.

Away from home, you take any win you can.

Why was the Newcastle win unrealistic?

They were 2-0 up like us, but instead of sitting back they stepped it up another gear and took their chances. Obviously you won''t win every game 6-0, but we could have done that against Wigan and scored a few more. We almost slip into the mentality of an away team at times I think

If they did hit 8/10 performances then of course that would be ideal Crabby. It''s a question of whether you think we are building up to our peak or whether we are where we are going to be. Newcastle players may continue their performances after rather a quiet and disappointing start. But their attacking intent is far far removed from the way Neil is setting us up. We HAVE to score goals and lots to get out of this division. Lambert knew that. Yet we persist with almost an away team / premier league 1 up front style with attacking mids in support. Can you see us sticking in 5 or 6? I can''t yet. Plus it seems all the weight falls on Cameron Jerome ....who is castigated on here a few times. But he won''t convert all.

But maybe it could happen that we build up performance levels....Jacob has been there and abouts recently picking up second balls in the box where needed.

I just remain unconvinced .....but I can be moved and persuaded over the next few games. I''m happy with 2 points per game as well, who wouldn''t be?

[quote user="sonyc"]If they did hit 8/10 performances then of course that would be ideal Crabby. It''s a question of whether you think we are building up to our peak or whether we are where we are going to be. Newcastle players may continue their performances after rather a quiet and disappointing start. But their attacking intent is far far removed from the way Neil is setting us up. We HAVE to score goals and lots to get out of this division. Lambert knew that. Yet we persist with almost an away team / premier league 1 up front style with attacking mids in support. Can you see us sticking in 5 or 6? I can''t yet. Plus it seems all the weight falls on Cameron Jerome ....who is castigated on here a few times. But he won''t convert all.

But maybe it could happen that we build up performance levels....Jacob has been there and abouts recently picking up second balls in the box where needed.

I just remain unconvinced .....but I can be moved and persuaded over the next few games. I''m happy with 2 points per game as well, who wouldn''t be?[/quote]We don''t need to win games by 5 or 6 goals though. Also why should we change our preferred style if it appears to be working? Also we don''t really have another striker we can feasibly play with Jerome, as yet.We have a good spread of goals already from all areas of the team, that is important. Jerome will score 20, we need a second striker who will score 10-15, and we need goals from midfield.No pressure Oliviera.

I would like to see City play in the following hierarchy of performance and results:

1. Play well and win

2. Play poorly and win

3. Play well and draw

4, play poorly and draw

5. Play poorly and lose

6, play well and lose

First and foremost is the result then the performance. Whilst our performances this season have been patchy the results have resulted in a promotion level 2 points per game ratio. I believe the team can play better on a consistent basis and if they do then we have an excellent chance of a return to the EPL. If they don''t we will need to continue to grind out the results until the good form returns.

I DO think we are building up to our peak sonyc. Do you not think these players have SO much more in their lockers, to offer? I do, and can''t wait, but I will be happy picking up points, in the meantime, until that happens. No one can perform to the top of their ability for 46 games.

Tbh, I am not going to judge us against Newcastle, because as much as I want to win this League, I will be overjoyed if we are in the top 2, come the end of the season, so I will judge us against the other 22 teams, and , as of yet, I haven''t seen anything to worry about, and we haven''t started ''playing'' yet.

Caveat - I am all for beating Newcastle twice this season, and in NO way am I conceding defeat to them yet.

[quote user="morty"]Good performances without the results will only take you so far, in regards to building something.Winning, regardless of performance breeds confidence.I think its a good thing we have had the start we have had, not too much to get us down, and not too much to get carried away with, and get over confident.[/quote]Good summary there Morty although Meldrew here can''t possibly agree with the " not too much to get us down " [;)]If we ground out almost every game 1-0 but won the League by 20 points then mass excitement would disguise any faults. I remember that ten-game winning streak back in 1984/5 and it was great to feel pretty much invincible but from memory most of those matches were won in some style.In the end it''s results that matter but like it or not as football finds itself in the entertainment industry, something that Tony Pulis and others seem to have forgotten entirely. I don''t for one minute put AN in that category but it doesn''t take much for fans to turn.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"]Good performances without the results will only take you so far, in regards to building something.Winning, regardless of performance breeds confidence.I think its a good thing we have had the start we have had, not too much to get us down, and not too much to get carried away with, and get over confident.[/quote]Good summary there Morty although Meldrew here can''t possibly agree with the " not too much to get us down " [;)]If we ground out almost every game 1-0 but won the League by 20 points then mass excitement would disguise any faults. I remember that ten-game winning streak back in 1984/5 and it was great to feel pretty much invincible but from memory most of those matches were won in some style.In the end it''s results that matter but like it or not as football finds itself in the entertainment industry, something that Tony Pulis and others seem to have forgotten entirely. I don''t for one minute put AN in that category but it doesn''t take much for fans to turn.[/quote]We are in the situation where the only thing that matters is getting out of this division before it sucks the life out of us.

We have bought so many midfielders in the last 2/3 years Morty. It''s seems Neil''s thing. And that means we appear to have to perm a place so,where for Wes, the two Murphys , Canos, Pritchard, Naismith, Dorrans, Howson, Mulumbu.....then we farm out a lad we paid over £3m for plus Andreu loaned out and then sell Vadis. It''s a real embarrassment of riches. A team of midfielders no less without even taking into account more youngsters ( Thompson with quite a bit of experience now too). I think what I''m saying Morty is that I guess it isn''t broken so why fix it, I agree with that but don''t get the overall plan or strategy. And I don''t believe (yet) that whatever our system is, that it''s one that will serve us well. I couldn''t really say what our preferred style is. I thought I did at Blackburn on day one but it hasn''t prevailed since, perhaps in small patches. Like many here I remain in hope. Yet it is hope and not full belief. A 1-0 win tomorrow will be just the tonic for me however!

I would take a win, the performance is secondary in my opinion. Of course we all want to see the perfect performance but we have to realise that the opposition will be set up too stop us performing (as we will be trying to stop them) and in the modern game this is an ever improving aspect of teams at this level which usually makes for very tight, hard fought games. A scruffy win or draw over a good performance all day long for me.

Another quick thought...many people on here were highly critical of Ipsw15h''s style...hoofing up to the former frontman Murphy and have stated they would hate seeing us playing like that. I love the fact that we rarely do that. We try and play football at least. I believe that does have a value even if it sometimes fails to produce the perfect result sequence. So perhaps another question is would posters like to see the binners style of play and getting results to take us into the play offs? I think the trouble would be that you would then meet REAL football game teams who would play you off the pitch.

I think people are missing the point in general anyway.

Some of us aren''t unhappy at winning and playing poorly, it happens from time to time and a win is always welcome.

I think people are just saying if we carry on playing below par we will not keep winning.

It''s not moaning or bashing the team. It''s realistic.

And reference tomorrow''s game. If we play poorly i can''t see us getting anything.

For what it''s worth I''m delighted at our points total so far particularly as we''ve been well below our best in several games.

You''ve nailed it with your third sentence Chemical Bro. That is exactly how I feel.

[quote user="sonyc"]We have bought so many midfielders in the last 2/3 years Morty. It''s seems Neil''s thing. And that means we appear to have to perm a place so,where for Wes, the two Murphys , Canos, Pritchard, Naismith, Dorrans, Howson, Mulumbu.....then we farm out a lad we paid over £3m for plus Andreu loaned out and then sell Vadis. It''s a real embarrassment of riches. A team of midfielders no less without even taking into account more youngsters ( Thompson with quite a bit of experience now too). I think what I''m saying Morty is that I guess it isn''t broken so why fix it, I agree with that but don''t get the overall plan or strategy. And I don''t believe (yet) that whatever our system is, that it''s one that will serve us well. I couldn''t really say what our preferred style is. I thought I did at Blackburn on day one but it hasn''t prevailed since, perhaps in small patches. Like many here I remain in hope. Yet it is hope and not full belief. A 1-0 win tomorrow will be just the tonic for me however![/quote]Wasn''t he a midfielder himself?I think re Andreu, he just didn''t come up to the standard of the English game, same with Vadis, who I think was bought to maybe replace Hoolahan, who has confounded us all by lasting longer than expected.  Maddison and Godfrey I think were bought with dual purpose, not only are they great young players, but ones we may turn a good profit on.Nah I''m not disagreeing with you, it isn''t quite ticking yet. Even if you start a thread on here asking for preferred teams, no two are the same. Blessing or curse? Its fine having a great first 11 that picks itself week in, week out, but it seems rare these days.

[quote user="morty"]Bearing in mind how much we have all been discussing the performance level over the two matches, if we play well tomorrow, but lose, will the team be given credit for it?Or if we scrape a one nil win, will that still be "unconvincing"?

[/quote]

Thing is, big nose, a team can''t keep winning with average/unconvincing performances - as asked without reply on this very same subject on another thread - name me one side that got promoted from any given Division by playing average football for the entirety of a season?

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="morty"]Bearing in mind how much we have all been discussing the performance level over the two matches, if we play well tomorrow, but lose, will the team be given credit for it?Or if we scrape a one nil win, will that still be "unconvincing"?

[/quote]

Thing is, big nose, a team can''t keep winning with average/unconvincing performances - as asked without reply on this very same subject on another thread - name me one side that got promoted from any given Division by playing average football for the entirety of a season?[/quote]Lol, weirdo.

tbh, if we continue to play ''poorly'' (what does that mean btw, do you mean ''not to our full potential''?) WHO IS going to beat us? Not many, judging by what I have seen from some (supposedly decent) teams this season. So by that level, I am ''happy'' to be where we are, with so much more to come.

I also remember the mid 80s team, and that invincible run (didn''t we have a 10 game unbeaten run under Hughton though? Just the same without the large number of goals!!), and would love it, if we could recreate that this season. Let''s wait and see.....