Sign in to follow this  
Buh

New stadium - careful what you wish for

I''d suggest safe standin would be phased as it seems to be at Celtic with a view to expanding based on demand. Say make e block Barclay standing and see how it goes.

It''s not about increasing revenue or capacity. It''s about offering customer choice. The appetite for standing is quite clearly there and it''s been proven that it can be done perfectly safely.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Interesting piece Herman, thanks for posting.

I do remember my grandad telling me that he went to the Nest when he was a boy. Would probably be just after the First World War I would guess. He described being high up above the concrete wall behind some railings looking down onto the pitch and when we scored the railings would rock back and forwards.

Guess he was just a lad then so probably felt high to him, but sill, quite a thought.[/quote]Bit of a better picture.He may be one of these brave souls.Image result for the nest norwich

I imagine the plan would be to completely knock down the city stand, if we were to increase capacity. In which case, why don''t we add another tier to the South Stand? As there is loads of space behind it i reckon this would mean it could be being built during the season without having to close the stand.

Once this tier is built you could easily relocate all the season ticket holders in the city stand as well as a few new extra season tickets sold from the waiting list. Then you could knock down completely the city stand a rebuild a new, state-of-the-art one.

Of course, completely hypothetical and we would need to be an established premier league team in order to do it, but still.

Even yesterday we had almost 1,000 empty seats, i think around 30,000 would be about our required size, Maybe i''m biased but i don''t think many stadiums are better than CR. Liverpool have managed to build a new stand without disrupting Anfield too much, so extending City stand could be done with good architects.

Prefer traditional stadiums, personally prefer Old Trafford to the Citeh stadium, prefer St James to the Riverside or Stadium of Light.

As op said be careful what you wish for.

[quote user="Alex "]Great pic Herman, imagine today''s footballer being asked to play on grass that long![/quote]It''s corrugated as well. Leg breaker[:O]

[quote user="Alex "]Nice one Herman, zooming in on that old pic of the Nest I can clearly see a couple of empty Peroni bottles 👍[/quote]They found some at the old Newmarket Road site as well. Football archaeology.

if you ''google map'' Rosary Road...you can still see the outline of where the old pitch at The Nest used to be ,complete with with the white wall in one corner of the pitch and even see where the terracing was above.

It was on the the site of where Bertram Books used to be, until a couple of years ago ,before they built houses on it, you could still drive up there and clearly see the wall at one end of the pitch and the old terracing up on the hill.

[quote user="Darth Vadis"]I imagine the plan would be to completely knock down the city stand, if we were to increase capacity. In which case, why don''t we add another tier to the South Stand? As there is loads of space behind it i reckon this would mean it could be being built during the season without having to close the stand.

Once this tier is built you could easily relocate all the season ticket holders in the city stand as well as a few new extra season tickets sold from the waiting list. Then you could knock down completely the city stand a rebuild a new, state-of-the-art one.

Of course, completely hypothetical and we would need to be an established premier league team in order to do it, but still.[/quote]eh ?Where on earth is the money for that to come from ?There are NO established PL club bar the 7 or 8 really big clubs. Even Villa nd Newcastle have dropped out of the PL.However presuming some bank would loan us the money it would be on the basis of either a few million lost each season or possible crippling debts were we to be out of the pPL for more than 2 seasons, or the TV money bubble bursts.So slight fu cked up or massively fucked. For what ?. If the fans were that interested all games so far would have been sold out - after all NCFC were playing in them all.

where did the money come from when knocking down the old barclay and replacing it....or knocking the south stand down and replacing it??....I dont suppose the club at either time would have particularly wanted to spend money on either but they were both born out necessity at the time.

Is it necessary to expand our stadium and more specifcally the City Stand?.....at this present moment in time quite possibly ''no'' but if a time arises where it unequivocally is, then the club surely will?

I believe the Barclay was part paid by a grant from the community fund (or similar. The South Stand was done with a crippling loan. Part of which took us to the brink.Both of these developments were forced on the club. The first as part of the Taylor report (safety) the second being that the local police/fire services would not give us a safety certificate ergo no football.To talk of a necessity to get intoi deep debt to subsidise a load of glory hunters is absurd. None of us can tell what finances the club will be receiving in 5, 10, 20 years so burdening ourselves with a huge debt for no gain is a complete non starter.You need to check how much income derives from gate receipts. It is very, very little. Please check those figures before talking about ''necessity''.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]as i said "when the club" sees it as a necessity , then it surely will......not me, so i shall be checking no such thing[/quote]on that basis Norwich City are bottom of the table - and don''t try and tell me otherwise because I won''t look at the table !dear me

poor comparison really

a league table is a matter of fact.

..when talking a bout a stadium expansion there are many factors that i dont have access to....the cost of such an undertaking, how much of a loan we can afford, repayment structures, length of time it would take to build.

yes i can have an opinion on whether I think we''d fill an 35k stadium at this moment in time as its something I might have a bit of a feel for.

very poor D- ...must try harder

Going back to the History of the Nest I thought that the ground had become dangerously overcrowded that the FA were going to refuse us to play games there anymore hence why Carrow Road was built in 82 days.

Present day Carrow Road, the South Stand was designed and built to have an additional tier (relatively) easily put on top of it. And going back a few years I had a chat with Neil Doncaster and he reckoned that an additional tier on the City Stand wouldn''t be an issue from the planning side of things etc.

What they did with Olympic Stadium is awful. Having to modify stands for football? What a joke. Round stadiums are for athletics and cricket.
It should have been modified to be England''s new home of cricket, to keep pace with the rest of the planet.

It''ll be a sad, sad day when we leave Carrow Road.The modern, soulless bowls we get these days might look lovely, but they''re not for me. Great for the occasional visit on away days, but for 20 or 23 games a season? No thank you.I hope it doesn''t happen for many a year.

[quote user="daly"]Don''t worry about improvements

Remember the purse is empty.[/quote]
Its very frustrating to think that the £9m we spent on Naismith could have gone toward a new stand.
We need to add a second tier to the Watling stand.
All this "Once we are a stable PL club" is nonsense. Just make it happen for Christs sake.

[quote user="i"]It''ll be a sad, sad day when we leave Carrow Road.The modern, soulless bowls we get these days might look lovely, but they''re not for me. Great for the occasional visit on away days, but for 20 or 23 games a season? No thank you.I hope it doesn''t happen for many a year.[/quote]

I dont think that it should or will need to in our lifetimes??, its been there for 81 years afterall.

. if indeed it is correct that there are at least plans in place to ,one of these years , increase both City stand and South stand it is at least an acknowledgment that work could at least in "theory" be done to increase capacity to 40k ish on its present site if we''re ever at a stage when the club feels it can.

agreed the infrastucture around Carrow Rd could be "interesting" if that day ever arrives......but it can surely be no worse than getting away from Arsenal after they moved from 30k Highbury to the 60k Emirates.....or the nightmare that White Hart Lane will be when they build their 60k stadium. I dont imagine Liverpool is the easiest after a game with an extra 10k on their gates this season either?