Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Hooper, "What a shame"

I would also make the presumption that those stats are up to date for minutes on the pitch and count the 2 play off matches as well as the final so if that''s the case then he did score 13 goals in under half a season. Champ

[quote user="JF"]jaemae2 wrote the following post at 30/05/2016 7:57 PM:

Eh, I figured why not make up my own stat along the lines of "Hooper scored 13 goals in less than half a season" to counter-balance.

46 matches in a season,so 90 minutes x 46 matches is a possible 4140 minutes on the pitch. Hooper played 2299 minutes for Wednesday. So it''s 13 goals in a little over half a season champ. Had he played a full season based on those stats he would have scored in the mid 20s. Thanks champ[/quote]

He started 25 games champ, and had sub appearances in 9, with only 4 less than 15 minutes, and was only subbed off once at the 85 minute mark, he played well over half a season, champ. Please keep trying, it''s hilarious.

the guy had 2 stints where he only scored 1 goal every 12 games (each of them starts) and then fed off glorified league 1 teams. He''s not even an average Champ, striker, this isn''t hard. We missed nothing with him, he was given plenty of chances while he was here and delivered NOTHING. This is hilarious.

you dont understand minutes in the pitch stats do you? Is this a little bit too hard to understand for you? If a player started every match but was subbed at half time in each of those matches would he have played the whole season or half?

Each time Hooper was successful in his career, it was in a scenario where he played with a strike partner or off of another striker. He did this with great success at Celtic, when he came off the bench for us, and at Wednesday. Any other system, he has struggled. He''s a good player in the right system, and he''s a natural finisher of the ball. Unfortunately, we didn''t have the right system for him to be successful, hence why we sold him.

[quote user="JF"]you dont understand minutes in the pitch stats do you? Is this a little bit too hard to understand for you? If a player started every match but was subbed at half time in each of those matches would he have played the whole season or half?[/quote]

HE WAS ONLY SUBBED OFF ONCE AND IT WAS AT THE 83RD MINUTE. Are you really this slow?

I''ve given you the factual stats of the time he spent in the pitch. I give up and its probably past your bedtime.

so you really are this slow then, well done figuring out how to turn on a computer (or getting someone to help you with that.)

Back to his season with us in the Champ, we all seem to forget that 3 of his goals were PKs HE DID NOT EARN. I''m willing to bet that even with the extra 500 mins Grabban had Hooper wasn''t scoring another 3 goals from play (Grabban didn''t score any goals off a pk. You can count 1 that was a rebound from a PK he missed).

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Not just arithmetic you struggle with then Jaemae?[/quote]

there there champ, it will be ok it will be ok :tussleshair:

Don''t get me wrong, I don''t think we''re going to miss Hooper regardless, but you have to credit Jaemae for handling adversity face on and completely ignoring statistics and facts which contradict what he says.

I just wonder what these individuals home lives consist of.

They seem so very OTT aggressive even on a little footy forum.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I just wonder what these individuals home lives consist of.

They seem so very OTT aggressive even on a little footy forum.[/quote]Darkened room syndrome RB?[;)]

Anyway, back to Hooper... a couple of my friends are pretty serious Wednesday fans and I remember discussing him when he moved there.  To start with they were hugely impressed with his finishing.  But as time has gone on, they''ve both seen his lack of overall team contribution as a problem.  If you start the game with Hooper, it''s almost like you''re giving the other side a man advantage because he won''t chase or close down when they''ve got the ball, and when you''ve got the ball he is small and not quick so doesn''t give you much of an outlet.

Having said that, there were games last season when we needed a goal late on, and bringing Hooper on in that situation would be better than having Jerome and Mbokani on the pitch together IMO. So when we went 1-0 down at Arsenal for example, Hooper would have been a good player to bring on.

As for his tweet when we were relegated "What a shame".  Only he will know if he was being sarcastic or genuine with that comment.  It sounds sarcastic to me but that''s just my opinion.

Just a lazy sort of player. Never looked like someone who would die for the cause.

I''m sure Hooper will turn into another mythical creature...guaranteed to score against us, to be feared in the lead-in to matches where he meets us, the great lost striker, the answer to all our problems, etc., etc., etc.

Apples

He''s maybe playing in the wrong era- he''s a finisher, a poacher who if you give him a chance or two he will score but his contribution outside of that is minimal. He can find space in a crowded penalty box, hold off a defender if needs be but he isn''t going to create much outside of that. You can get away with that sort of player if you''re Celtic as you''re guaranteed to dominate most games but when we had him the Premier League those limitations really showed.

[quote user="king canary"]He''s maybe playing in the wrong era- he''s a finisher, a poacher who if you give him a chance or two he will score but his contribution outside of that is minimal. He can find space in a crowded penalty box, hold off a defender if needs be but he isn''t going to create much outside of that. You can get away with that sort of player if you''re Celtic as you''re guaranteed to dominate most games but when we had him the Premier League those limitations really showed.[/quote]I''d agree with that.He reminds me of Ted MacDougall back in the mid-70''s. Couldn''t be bothered to shift his a*se during a game but was a deadly finisher. He got away with it because football in those days catered for individuals much more than they do now. Few players since can match MacDougall''s eye for goal and now teamwork is so important, despite several spectacular goals, Gary Hooper will never be a decent Premier League player.

I think, ultimately, he was a bit of a marmite player and didn''t fit with our current thinking so we got shot - probably best for him and us. IMO he''s probably a Champs striker and at his right level, which is not meaning to put him down in any way.

Re the main thrust of this thread, his comments on Twitter, I do believe it was initially sarcasm but a certain amount of backtracking has gone on. Tbh I couldn''t really care less - he''s only human and we are a sarcastic race; he doesn''t owe us anything and it doesn''t tarnish his rather stop-start time with us.

It''s always amusing when a player, who has taken his share of abuse criticism/abuse, dares to say something the fans don''t like...cue mock outrage and shrieking hysteria.

As Branston says, who cares what the intention was and fair play to him.

Hooper did eat all the pies though...just saying.

Apples

TBF to the OP, he was just saying "what a shame" about Hooper''s team failing to win the playoff, which was just tacking the mick rather than being hysterical (and I''d be a bit surprised if Hooper bothers to look).

And I agree - we pursued Hooper for quite a long time and he must have been a bit hacked off with our attacking play under Hughton, like I expect most of our strikers were (if that''s not a contradiction in terms).  So I can understand him having some negative feelings about his time here.

[quote user="hogesar"]Don''t get me wrong, I don''t think we''re going to miss Hooper regardless, but you have to credit Jaemae for handling adversity face on and completely ignoring statistics and facts which contradict what he says.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

"facts" there there champ, it will be ok it will be ok... If you want to tell me how starting 25 games (and playing 90 minutes in all but one of them (subbed off at 83) and 9 sub appearances with only 3 being less than 15 minutes is playing "less than half a season" please go ahead. You are hilariously slow.

It''s weird how ''hilariously slow'' we all are, yet this entire forum is laughing endlessly at you.
I also understand your futile attempts at some kind of patronising use of terms such as ''champ'', but it''s all just a little...desperate.

there there champ, it will be ok it will be ok :tussleshair:

Again you are hilariously mentally stunted.

I assume Jaemae and Treacletown are the same person- both have the same style of insulting and patronizing people who disagree with them and both have form for randomly making stuff up and sticking with it despite others disproving it factually.

As for the Hooper stats he''s scored for Wednesday at a rate of a goal every 170 minutes on the pitch. A full season of that and he''d easily hit 20 goals but obviously that depends on him doing enough to keep him in the starting 11 constantly.

[quote user="king canary"]I assume Jaemae and Treacletown are the same person- both have the same style of insulting and patronizing people who disagree with them and both have form for randomly making stuff up and sticking with it despite others disproving it factually.

As for the Hooper stats he''s scored for Wednesday at a rate of a goal every 170 minutes on the pitch. A full season of that and he''d easily hit 20 goals but obviously that depends on him doing enough to keep him in the starting 11 constantly.[/quote]

projecting goal total from minutes played as if it''s a static statistic is one of the stupidest things to ever do. It doesn''t prove he''d score over 20 goals in any sense. It''s hilarious that people think this means something.

He really scored a goal every 170 minutes when he scored 1 goal in 12 games playing 90 minutes each game. You people are brilliant.

I''d say making up stats and then calling people stupid is one of the stupidest things to do but hey ho.

You''re right though that it doesn''t prove he can score 20+ goals but then you can''t prove something hypothetical. However to say it is ''laughable'' to think he can score 20 in a season at this level despite him being on course to at least get close to that this season if he''d had a full season and despite him having a record of 44 goals in 94 Championship games since he joined Scunthorpe is pretty ridiculous.