Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Ivo Pinto

Yes, I read that as well. He''ll obviously offer us something going forward but, unlike Whittaker, should have some recovery pace to get back.

Hopefully, AN will help sort him out positionally as well.

[quote user="grim reaper"]Shopping in poundland again.[/quote]Good for you. I don''t see what your day out has to do with this thread though.

Quote, "From you tube vids it looks like Ivo has  a lot of fast pace and is pretty classy at beating a player and crossing. Time will tell but, considering his pedigree, and age, he could be absolute snip  for the 2 + mill we paid. But lets be patient with him and make City a place he can admire."

If this is the case then maybe he has been purchased to give Redmond a challenge, or even as his replacement, someone who can beat a player with pace, get a decent cross in and has the ability (and pace) to get back and help defend, is exactly what we need on the right?

Just a thought

I asked Alex Holiga, a Croatian football journalist, about Pinto on twitter- this is what he had to say...

''Ivo Pinto - attacking, fast, good stamina; defensive play, esp. positional sense, leaves a lot to be desired.''

''Shouldn''t have problems adapting to the physical side of the game in England, but don''t think he''ll be much of an upgrade.''

I''m hoping though that his pace means he can deal better with being caught out of position than Whittaker could. Fingers crossed!

The other thing that is interesting about this signing is it maybe gives us the possibility of using a wing back system- Brady and Pinto both seem to have great pace and an attacking mindset but still the ability to defend. I wonder if at some point we might see a back three with Brady and Pinto operating on each flank.

I wondered the same thing King. Could be quite an attacking formation with this personnel, but we''d definitely need another CB in that case!

Yes, I could see a set up a bit like this...

Rudd

Bennett Martin Bassong

Pinto Brady

Howson Tettey Mulumbu

Redmond Mbokani

http://readnorwich.com/2016/01/09/aleksandar-holiga-qa-ivo-pinto/

Not overly positive. Sounds like a faster Whitt. Proofs in the pudding, though.

I remember a manager saying that the best form of defence was attack, they can''t score if we''re in their half.

Right back has been our weak area this season, would be good to have the ability to go to wing backs when needed.

Anyone who''s been playing Champions league football has been tested, so will know what to expect at this level of football, also wants to be here playing which is a bonus.

Fuzzar, I think Martin might prove to be excellent in a 3 CB formation. However, we would of course need another CB - for cover if nothing else.

How much quicker are the quickest full backs (the ones that some posters think get back when caught out) than the full backs we have, who apparently do not?

Obviously some will be quicker than others, but given they are all top athletes; I imagine there is not a great deal to choose between any of them over 50 metres?

Surely it really doesn’t matter how quick you are if you caught out up field (which on most occasions is probably not the full back’s fault), if the ball gets punted downfield any full back is going to struggle to get back and cover.

There will be a few occasions when the quickest full back will manage to get back and make a difference, when the slowest wouldn’t, but not that often surely?

I think if you want your fullbacks to attack thrn you have to accept they can be caught up the pitch. But if you are going to criticise one player for doing that then you have to treat another the same.

Really where Whittaker and Martin struggle is pace on the turn. Probably the only area where Olsson on the other side is superior.

@GJP- I agree, hence the struggles Whits had against pacey, tricky wingers earlier in the season. Pace is the key reason why Kyle Walker can get away with his, at times, terrible decision making/positioning.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="grim reaper"]Shopping in poundland again.[/quote]Good for you. I don''t see what your day out has to do with this thread though.[/quote]

[:D] Yes [Y]

[quote user="ron obvious"]Fuzzar, I think Martin might prove to be excellent in a 3 CB formation. However, we would of course need another CB - for cover if nothing else.[/quote]
I agree.
I hate seeing Martin at CB and really don''t rate him there as part of a back four. When we have played 3 CBs I think he has looked OK there. I see him playing a sort of sweeper role - He reads the game well, and both Benno and Bass are capable of an error, and having Martin to mop up the pieces seems to work. 
Maybe a bit 90s tactically to play with a sweeper, but if it works, it works.

Thr Croatian journo seemed to give a honest and fair description of how Ivo Pinto played for Dinamo. Just cannot understand anyone trying to compare him to Whitts or anyone else , we aint seen him play  for City yet. The jouno mentioned his defensive qualities leave a bit to be desired, but also said Zagreb play inferior defences week in week out, so its the custom for Ivo to bomb forward at every occasion. But thats Zagreb, different manager, different club, different league.Think Ivo said coming here was his dream?..to play in a side that play in the best league in the world,  to learn, to be tested, to improve. Exactly. Under Alex, and playing the Prem, Ivo will have to learn quickly, but give him time, let him mature, who knows what he will bring. Good to see the posters above me exploring  possible future roles and systems City could utilise with new guys like Ivo, bedding in with our seasoned guys like Russ.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]I have from a very good source that this is what the new chairman describes as a ''bridging loan''. Once Ivo is settled in, he''ll be able to persuade his good friend Cristiano Ronaldo that his next move should be to Norfolk, once our Premier League status is secured all of next years income will be assigned to ''Project CR7''.[/quote]

It''s all falling in to place, the No. 7 shirt has been cleared for Cristiano.

I can now exclusively reveal that part of the deal involves naming rights for the stadium and from next season we will all be going to home games at the ''Cristiano Ronaldo is better than that idiot Messi super dome''.

Next seasons home and away socks will be white.

I really can not understand we have signed a great right back with pace champs league experience rave reviews voted best right back in his league played well against biggest teams in Europe

now we want to change formation to shoe horn RM a place in the team !!!

lets keep 4 at the back hasn''t done us to bad and upgrade the players RM is not a CB we have looked better with him not at CB now some want us to go to go 5 at the back to fit RM in !!!

not good enough squad player yes xi no we have upgrade sorry

Everybody knows the only natural reaction to signing a champions league defender is to be kept up all night worrying that we aren''t Bournemouth

Or, as I like to refer to them "Gorleston Town with cash"