Sign in to follow this  
unique

When did Norwich last get lucky?

If Howson''s hand ball had been so obvious I would have expected to see a lot more protests from the Newcastle players, particularly as we went on to score, but there wasn''t any really.

[quote user="Vanwink"]If Howson''s hand ball had been so obvious I would have expected to see a lot more protests from the Newcastle players, particularly as we went on to score, but there wasn''t any really.[/quote]I haven''t read all through the thread, but I don''t think anybody has said the handball was obvious. That''s because it wasn''t obvious until the replay. Which the officials and players alike don''t have immediate access to.

Funny how we see things different. It looked a lot more obvious to me until Ian''s replay.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Howson''s handball was pretty obvious to me. Do I care? Well we dominated the match and deserved the win, so not at all.[/quote]No, really it wasn''t. What are you, a f*cking kestrel?

I think that we get more "lucky" decisions than people notice. Its all too easy for some to get a bit victim about it all and cry about bias against "smaller" clubs.I think we are all pretty quick to jump on another team / manager / set of fans that cry too.As said above, we deserved to win the game, not much else matters.

[quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="Ginja"]Difficult to say, I''ve seen it from several angles now and each one I think the opposite each time I look at it.
I will consider us lucky that ref didn''t give it regardless of right or wrong but frankly a bit of luck that is long overdue for us!
[/quote]A referee''s decisions, good or bad, have nothing to do with luck. Luck, or to be lucky, is when a sudden gust of wind takes the ball into the net when it would have other wise gone wide of the post.[/quote]
I think we were lucky that the ref did not see the handball for whatever reason, if the goal was against us I think many would be lamenting our bad luck.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Hang on a minute, you just said that it was obvious in your previous post?[/quote]I said it was obvious in the replay. Only a member of the owl family would''ve seen the handball immediately.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="Ginja"]Difficult to say, I''ve seen it from several angles now and each one I think the opposite each time I look at it.
I will consider us lucky that ref didn''t give it regardless of right or wrong but frankly a bit of luck that is long overdue for us!
[/quote]A referee''s decisions, good or bad, have nothing to do with luck. Luck, or to be lucky, is when a sudden gust of wind takes the ball into the net when it would have other wise gone wide of the post.[/quote]
I think we were lucky that the ref did not see the handball for whatever reason, if the goal was against us I think many would be lamenting our bad luck.
[/quote]The only element of luck here is that the officials weren''t peregrine falcons. Now let that be the end of it.

[quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="Ginja"]Difficult to say, I''ve seen it from several angles now and each one I think the opposite each time I look at it.

[/quote]

A referee''s decisions, good or bad, have nothing to do with luck. Luck, or to be lucky, is when a sudden gust of wind takes the ball into the net when it would have other wise gone wide of the post.
[/quote]

Luck is the stuff that''s outside the control of the team.  If a player falls over at the wrong moment (Stones for England) that''s not bad luck, that''s bad play - football is all about who plays better and that includes being able to keep your feet.  If you hit the post and it goes wide, you''ve not been unlucky, just not skilful enough, just like a tennis player who puts the ball just outside the line.

So the officials'' decisions are precisely where we most often see luck in football, e.g. there''s no doubt the officials got it wrong to give Chelsea a goal against us from an offside position - nothing to do with how well or badly we played at that moment, the goal should''ve been ruled out but the officials got it wrong, that''s certainly bad luck for us.

For Howson, it''s handball if it makes contact "deliberately" with his hand.  The interpretation used to be "hand to ball" or "ball to hand" but that has been changed because it wouldn''t catch a player who flings out his arms before the ball is struck, so the focus now is on whether the hand is in a natural position to decide whether it''s deliberate.  Howson''s arm is right by his side, so not a handball, although for such a clear contact many refs would give it, so a touch of luck for us then.  But most refs would have allowed Jerome''s goal vs Palace....And quite a few refs wouldn''t have given O''Neill''s handball although IMO it was correct.

And what do people think about the Jarvis penalty appeal in the first half ?  I didn''t see it.  Ignoring that, I think the ref got the big calls right, so not really lucky or unlucky for either side.

If the luck evens out, it still has a long way to go this season !

I remember that one - their player pushed over Naismith twice for good measure.

Can''t remember the last one we had away from home in the Prem.  In fact it''s one of my pledges for the season to pay if we get one.  If we get a penalty at the Emirates, I''ll very happily pay out on that one !

Julian, a Kestrel would be best placed to have seen it due to it''s capacity for hovering...you would have to have relied upon a diurnal owl to see it at that time of day (rather than a nocturnal or crepuscular species) and even then it would have had a fleeting glance, while the Peregrine would probably have been sitting on the Cathedral tower at the time as they are currently incubating their eggs.

Apples

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Julian, a Kestrel would be best placed to have seen it due to it''s capacity for hovering...you would have to have relied upon a diurnal owl to see it at that time of day (rather than a nocturnal or crepuscular species) and even then it would have had a fleeting glance, while the Peregrine would probably have been sitting on the Cathedral tower at the time as they are currently incubating their eggs.

Apples[/quote][:D] [Y]

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Paul Merson saw the handball in real time and mentioned it straight away after the goal. Is he an owl?[/quote]
He was watching a replay.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Paul Merson saw the handball in real time and mentioned it straight away after the goal. Is he an owl?[/quote]
He was watching a replay.
[/quote][:D] [Y]

From the middle of the South Stand, Howson moved the ball where he needed it and everyone around me was amazed handball wasn''t given.

Then there''s Jarvis''s fabulous "pass" for Brady at WBA.

Happy to be getting our share of luck at last

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Paul Merson saw the handball in real time and mentioned it straight away after the goal. Is he an owl?[/quote]
You might be on to something there.  Fairly sure there was a phase in Paul Merson''s past when he was living a nocturnal existence and looking for prey while sitting high on the lines around many watering holes. 

"From the middle of the South Stand, Howson moved the ball where he needed it and everyone around me was amazed handball wasn''t given".

Are you or any of those around you in the South Stand birds Norfolk''n Good?

Norfolk''n Good -- From the middle of the South Stand, Howson moved the ball where he needed it and everyone around me was amazed handball wasn''t given.

Then there''s Jarvis''s fabulous "pass" for Brady at WBA.

Happy to be getting our share of luck at lastWell, it''s a good thing none of the officials were in the middle of the South Stand.

It was a handball, the ref was in a good position to see it and I''m personally very happy he didn''t see it, unlucky for Newcastle [:P]

Strictly speaking it wasn''t a handball as the ref didn''t deem it to be a foul and award a free-kick.

Apples

Indeed.  It is only an offence if you are caught.
If you are not caught, then you were either lucky, or it was not an offence.
I am listening to the Eagles as I type this.

[quote user="George Osborn"]Indeed.  It is only an offence if you are caught.
I am listening to the Eagles as I type this.
[/quote]Mirrors on the ceiling?

[quote user="George Osborn"]Indeed.  It is only an offence if you are caught.
I am listening to the Eagles as I type this.[/quote]Maybe the ref had Lying Eyes..........

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="George Osborn"]Indeed.  It is only an offence if you are caught.
I am listening to the Eagles as I type this.[/quote]Maybe the ref had Lying Eyes..........
[/quote]
Well I been down at Carrow Road trying to loosen my load
I got several posters on my mind
VanWink wants to own me, Tilly wants to stone me,
Chops says he''s a friend of mine....

[quote user="julian hudson"]Well, it''s a good thing none of the officials were in the middle of the South Stand.[/quote]Sometimes I think they are.................[;)]