Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

To the idiots who boo'd the Jerome sub.

Alex Neil and his coaching staff know a lot more than you. I''m not sure what right you think you have to boo a tactical decision by a manager who, of course, was proven to be right.

Lessingham Canary wrote the following post at 07/11/2015 8:34 PM:

I was disappointed to hear boos from some of our supporters over a substation today, poor show, those who did should be ashamed, poor show.

Agreed , the team needed a bit of encouragement at that point, it was a good decision and won us the game, what more do people want?

[quote user="Yellowfuture"]Lessingham Canary wrote the following post at 07/11/2015 8:34 PM:

I was disappointed to hear boos from some of our supporters over a substation today, poor show, those who did should be ashamed, poor show.

Agreed , the team needed a bit of encouragement at that point, it was a good decision and won us the game, what more do people want?[/quote]I would imagine they were baying for Neil to put two up front, which would have relinquished our hold on the back of midfield and given Swansea''s pacey attacking players more opportunity to get in behind us. We haven''t done much ''winning ugly'' under Neil, and it was really reassuring to see him get the tactics absolutely spot on and frustrate Swansea. It wasn''t much fun to watch, but it was rewarding to see how effectively and totally we neutralised their weapons, while still being able to step up and create a bunch of chances in the second half. Good stuff all round.

Yes I think they were FTW and as you say switching to two up front against Swansea would have been madness.

But it is a game of opinions and fans will disagree, I just can''t see how anything positive for the team can come from booing at that stage.

I did not boo the substitution but I thought the decision was wrong. Jerome won quite a bit in the air but it was all wasted because nobody was far enough forward to support. The game looked stalemate to me with a poor Swansea team who never looked like scoring. So I thought two up front was Plan "B" and it would break the deadlock. Fair to say that Mbokani his strong and all arms and legs and is proving difficult to contain. Could be very useful.

This miggins and Iwan tag team is getting a bit odd.

I dont have a problem with people thinking it''s the wrong call but this thing started with Hughton and ever since some fans have loved the opportunity to boo a sub. It just doesn''t seem to have any possible positive impact.

[quote user="hogesar"]Alex Neil and his coaching staff know a lot more than you. I''m not sure what right you think you have to boo a tactical decision by a manager who, of course, was proven to be right.[/quote]

I thought it was the right substitution at the time to bring on a fresh pair of legs up front but why is taking off a 6''1" 29 year old physical strong pacy striker and replacing him with a 6''1" 29 year old physically strong pacy striker "tactical" rather than a like for like change?

To me he''s the same type of striker as Jerome, there are subtle differences, Mbokani puts his weight around a bit more links up play better and drops off of the defensive line more regularly than Jerome but they seem to do fundamentally the same job to me.

See that''s where I disagree Holt, and listening to Canary call so does Dean Ashton!

Jerome prefers to use his pace and play off the last man. He prefers balls down the channels of which he got little of. Mbokani is much better at receiving a ball into his feet and holding play up etc etc.

Both types work as lone strikers, but I do think they''re quite different players.

[quote user="hogesar"]This miggins and Iwan tag team is getting a bit odd.

I dont have a problem with people thinking it''s the wrong call but this thing started with Hughton and ever since some fans have loved the opportunity to boo a sub. It just doesn''t seem to have any possible positive impact.[/quote]It was wrong then and it is wrong now. These idiots are not football supporters, but just out to let off steam - and they don''t care if it is against the club they are supposed to be supporting.  Booing is only effective if it is used sparingly and in the direst of circumstances.  Booing a sub on a day like today and given the position in the match is just plain ridiculous.

hogesar wrote the following post at 07/11/2015 9:27 PM:

This miggins and Iwan tag team is getting a bit odd.

-------------

Nothing to do with me

[quote user="hogesar"]See that''s where I disagree Holt, and listening to Canary call so does Dean Ashton!

Jerome prefers to use his pace and play off the last man. He prefers balls down the channels of which he got little of. Mbokani is much better at receiving a ball into his feet and holding play up etc etc.

Both types work as lone strikers, but I do think they''re quite different players.[/quote]

True, I would say that''s quite a succinct description of their styles of play.

I was thinking more back to last year where when Jerome tired we only had Grabban or Hooper to bring on, meaning we had to greatly change our playing style due to their lack of physical presence, pace in Hooper''s case and ball control in Grabban''s case.

As today we were able to change Jerome when he got tired, keep playing a 4-2-3-1 system without greatly disrupting our formation like you would if Grabban came on for instance.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]What is your "booing is only effective if used sparingly" statement based on, LDC? It sounds suspiciously like something you made up.[/quote]

Any kind of reprimand or complaint which is made sparingly is bound to be more effective than one that just happens all the time. Its like a baby that cries all the time - you start to treat it as normal behaviour - but if a baby is quiet most of the time and then it cries, you will know it means something more.  Don''t know why crying and babies came to mind.....probably because the type of fans that boo at any old thing strike me as being cry-babies.

LDC

"Don''t know why crying and babies came to mind.....probably because the type of fans that boo at any old thing strike me as being cry-babies. "

Well said👍

Ah sorry Holt yeah I agree with that. It''s good for us to be able to swap our strikers about and not have to adjust the rest of the team to accommodate for it.

Alex Neil called it right. The issue we had was the ball wasn''t sticking and Mbokani solved that. The more I see of him the more I like his style. He is slightly different to Jerome. As others have mentioned he likes to drop a little deeper at times and also has a bit more of a presence about him. Watching him battle with the centre backs and generally come out with the ball was great to watch and he seems to have a few of the qualities we have missed since Holt left. I wouldn''t want to be a centre back against him, you saw a couple of times they tried to foul and pull and stop him. Some how he more often came away with the ball than not. I also think he has a little more goal threat because he doesn''t run the channels in the same way as Jerome he prefers to get between the two centre backs and get towards the 6 yard box to get on the end of crosses. Good options to have and how we could have done with them a couple of years ago when we had to persist with the likes of Elmander and Wolfswinkel.

"Is bound to". So it''s anecdotal at best, LakeD.

Think back to your guy and what got him fired. There had been plenty of booing for months, and a big increase in that last match (and Worthington''s too) made the difference, not some sort of strategic dispensing of discontent.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]"Is bound to". So it''s anecdotal at best, LakeD.

Think back to your guy and what got him fired. There had been plenty of booing for months, and a big increase in that last match (and Worthington''s too) made the difference, not some sort of strategic dispensing of discontent.[/quote]

The quality of football supporting has deteriorated generally over the last few years.  Too many fans at many clubs have a chip on their shoulder about how much money is floating around the game -  and then get uppity too quickly if their hard earned cash isn''t rewared instant success.  Money has ruined the game - but it has ruined football supporting too in the process, except for in a few clubs where the sense of realism is somehow maintained.  Brentford, for one.

Booing should be a last resort  - as with Worthy and Hughton - but even then, I would say that it didn''t help, because their  immediate replacements did not exactly shine.

The goal was to get rid of them and that''s what happened so they did succeed.

Anything else said is you running away from your ridiculous effort to sound intelligent that I looked at with cold logic and subsquently dismantled. Changing the debate topic is an acknowledgement of your failure. Cheers.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]The goal was to get rid of them and that''s what happened so they did succeed.

Anything else said is you running away from your ridiculous effort to sound intelligent that I looked at with cold logic and subsquently dismantled. Changing the debate topic is an acknowledgement of your failure. Cheers.[/quote]

That''s beyond comprehension, but thanks for trying.  The topic was about fans booing too easily - you introduced Worthy and Hughton to it and I answered in kind.   Your version of "succeeding" is getting rid of a manager they didn''t want. My version of "succeeding" is the club doing well. However you thnk this is off topic, I don''t know, but booing is part of a wider problem with football supporters everywhere. It happens too easily  these days. 

Are we really doing this?

You changed the topic by adding the bit about how the team did post-change. The goal of the booing was to get rid of the manager at the time, which it did. THOSE missions were accomplished. Anything else about what happened next is off topic.

Dif you eat paint chips when you were a kid?

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Are we really doing this?

You changed the topic by adding the bit about how the team did post-change. The goal of the booing was to get rid of the manager at the time, which it did. THOSE missions were accomplished. Anything else about what happened next is off topic.

Dif you eat paint chips when you were a kid?[/quote]

Nope. You''ve lost me completely.  You''re single track thinking is just too......single track......Have a nice day.

Considering it is our national sport it is surprising how basic some fans understanding of the game is. I would guess that the boos were from the 442 advocates who believe it''s the only way you can be attacking.

It does seem to me that LDC is targeted unfairly at times, (not all though) this being one of them. Do people need to Harvard reference their sources if they want to venture an opinion this days!?

Boo to boo boys.

Some of our fans are vegetables, I accepted this long ago.

I mean, listen to canary call, this people live amongst us.

Scary.

Swansea were stronger in the air overall - so I cant say any player won a lot.

But as with all stats its about definifition - is there a difference between winning an aerial dual (taking the ball on you chest under pressure?) and a free header (eg mbokanis assist)

According to whoscored Olsson won 3 aerial duals (most by a city player) with jerome one of a few on 2 wins and mbokani with just 1.

Fortunately we are not a team that plays the ball in the air frequently.

Other "stats" ar that Mbok lost possession by being dispossessed or a poor touch 4 (25% of the time he had the ball) times compared to CJs 2 (15%). Given CJ had twice the pitch time to Mbok for similar numbers of touches shows the difference in performance of the team across each half and how the game opened up after the goal enabling us to find the striker.

Both have strengths for us and we will mix and match