Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Threats via Private Messages

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="morty"]True story - Whilst serving on an American airbase in Qatar I got talking to a nice young lady from the American airforce, she had been there about a month, and commented to me "Iraq isn''t nearly as bad as I thought it would be" She genuinely had no clue where she was.[/quote]Wonder what they were told on D-Day?[/quote]

I think what the Americans were told was:

"The last time the Limeys found themselves on a French beach they had their asses handed to them on a plate and they jumped in anything that would float and hightailed it back to England. Our job is to help restore their self respect and get the job done properly."

[/quote]Like you did at Kasserine I suppose. Even on D Day you managed to cock it up at Omaha, and the serious fighting (at Caen) was done by the British and the Canadian as you weren''t up to it. Just as in the war before, when you finally showed up you lost tens of thousands of men until you let the British show you how fight.  As to Dunkirk you were selling the Nazis your oil at the timeand continued to work for and sell them goods via Ford, General Motors and  many others. Financed through what became Chase Manhatten bank (JP Morgan) and other US banking interests. In facts cynics might suggest that without US money there would have been no Nazis. No Hitler (as we know) and no 2nd world war..

Sorry to dredge up this thread again (well a bit sorry), but in light of events this week in California the BBC have collated some interesting stats on guns in the states:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34996604

A particular highlight(?) including a murder rate almost 5 times higher than in the UK, 60% of which is done with Guns. One other stat not on here that I heard on R4 last night as well was that the US Govt (FBI?) have just had their highest number of applications for ownership in a day at 185,000, that day was Black Friday! "Yeehaw, let''s go and celebrate the founding of our country by buying a discounted gun and shooting some stuff!"

Why do you people spend so much time, thought, energy and effort comparing your country to the US? There are 200 other countries you can compare yourselves to, some that might even care what you think.

Gainer, I''m not so sure that people are ''comparing '' the two countries, I think people are questioning the sanity of the gun laws in a nation that is burying the dead from the 355th gun attack resulting in 4 or more deaths,.THIS CALENDAR YEAR, , that''s more than one multiple homicide PER DAY, Good grief man, can''t you grasp that.

I fear for our friends over the pond and their nonsensical gun laws.

We now see that the latest massacre was ISIL inspired, maybe not technicall carried out by ISIL but really what the difference?

How many disgruntled individuals (who see no future for themselves within a grossly materialistic society) who could be potentially radicalised by the ISIL message are there in the States?They have a massive potential problem brewing and with the mainstream population tooling up to defend themselves we could be looking at reruns of the OK Corral.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Why do you people spend so much time, thought, energy and effort comparing your country to the US?[/quote]
Mostly because it''s always good for our self-esteem.

Not sure where you got that stat from wcorkcanary, the gun archives which keeps a running total of deaths stands at 32 in respect of gun attacks resulting in 4 or more deaths (as at 3rd December). As I have said before there are clearly a lot of gun deaths in the USA (too many) but you have to look at the size of the population, the number of guns in circulation. Official US Govt stats show you are more likely to in a car accident or from heart disease or cancer in the USA than you are from gun crime. The last mass shooting is a terrorist attack, you may argue that the ease of access to guns can be attributed to that however it does not address how many in Paris could be killed in a country where gun laws are much tighter than the USA. I personally do not agree with the liberal gun laws in the USA, and as far as I am concerned one death due to guns is one too many, but you need to take a balanced look at the issue and not allow xenophobia or media hysteria to cloud your view......

Just done some digging around online on this FJSPSOB.

In the UK the homicide rate through guns per 100,000 of population/per year is 0.05.

In the USA the homicide rate through guns per 100,000 of population/per year is 3.55.

To put it another way - you''re 71 TIMES MORE LIKELY to be murdered by a gun if you live in the USA than you are if you live in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Sorry - I can''t do clicky links.

FJetc. The 353 mass shootings is for 4 or more people killed or injured, you don''t have to die to be shot. It comes from here http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Main_Page

Yes cars and hearts kill more people than guns, but over 12,000 people have been shot dead this year, there have been 62 fire arms incidents in schools and now it appears that home grown radicals are getting in on the act.

This isn''t about one upmanship or saying how stupid they are, this is about the nonsensical attitude towards guns and the value placed on life by the one meaningful super power in the western world who so many seem to aspire to.

So you are or are not continually comparing your country to the US? Why don''t you continually compare yourselves to South Africa, UUzbekistan, Laos or Peru? What is this obsession with America?

Bornobo says it makes him feel better, but why? Is it because we rock and nobody else does?

It''s the same feeling that a mother gets when she sees her child bring a dickhead. A mixture of love and despair.As to rocking. Well another poor analogy is to put the US in the same vein as the Rolling Stones. You used to rock. You were the best rockers on the planet. Now you are a bit past your sell by date. Still good but your best days are gone and they''re not coming back.

Divided by a common language" springs to mind. Our shared tongue and familiarity with American film, TV, web etc. fools most Brits into assuming that

a) they care about us as much as we care about them, and b) their society is fundamentally the same as ours.

Rather than what it still is at heart: a frontier civilisation that works hard, plays hard, where life is cheap, and the right to shoot people is traditionally more important than the right to affordable healthcare

Sp compare yourselves to who is at the top, Herm. You say we''re yesterday''s news but I don''t think you reslly believe that. Certainly the tens of thousands of you daily excitedly pouring over here by the jumbo would suggest otherwise.

Genny, your healthcare isn''t affordable either. It''s just paid for differently. The thread on here about the little boy needing to come to America for treatment spoke volumes about your system. And ours.