Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Bournemouth bid for Grabban rejected

Grabban appears to have a greater affinity with Bournemouth than Norwich. Not dissimilar to Surman in that respect. Eddie Howe seems to get the best out of certain players; personally I''d need very little excuse to move him on and bring in a more clinical finisher...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Grabban appears to have a greater affinity with Bournemouth than Norwich. Not dissimilar to Surman in that respect. Eddie Howe seems to get the best out of certain players; personally I''d need very little excuse to move him on and bring in a more clinical finisher...[/quote]

Agree - not clinical enough at this level

Oh right great idea.

What happens if we move him on and then can''t get in a striker in the one week that remains? We try and get through to January with four forwards, two of which are Lafferty and RVW!

Inevitable suspension or injury, which will happen at some stage, and then what?

Selling him to a direct rival would also be risky business. I think some of the criticism towards Grabban is harsh, for me he’s behind Jerome and Hooper in terms of ability but undeniably played an important role in our promotion last season.

Would only consider selling if we had a direct replacement in line who would improve us as a team.

make sure we sign someone first then sell him ,

he has done what we wanted last season but as many of said not really premiership level if we could get 5 million ???

( guess )

that could pay more than half of the fee for afobe jobs a goodun

get afobe here first then sell though !!!!

So basically the Grabban-bashers now have two choices:- Stop writing Grabban off as ''not Premier League quality'' after one start and one sub appearance- Criticise Alex Neil for not be able to recognise which players are good enough for the Premier League and which are notTwo of the brightest young managers in the country seem to think Grabban offers something as a Premier League striker. But of course, the Pink''Un messageboard has already established that he is Championship at best, so what do Neil and Howe know about this player, who they have both worked with for a decent period of time?

As long as the bid is sensible and not derisory (say 5mil or above) then I''d happily sell the guy, as he''s just another Simeon Jackson in that he''s great at moving defenders around and keeping them on their toes, but he regularly misses sitters and struggles to finish for toffee half the time, and he simply doesn''t have the quality or overall game to truly perform well at this level.Perfectly good Champs level striker for a semi-decent team, but simply not Prem standard IMHO - regardless of what AN or EH think!

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]''regardless of what AN or EH think!''

Not to forget their scouting networks either Indy who are also clearly wrong[/quote]

It''s not about right or wrong, it''s about opinion, and mine is that Grabban is NOT good enough for this level, and clearly theirs is that he is.

The fact that he struggled to just get over double figures in the Champs, including going through a spell of scoring just ONCE in EIGHTEEN games, and that he hasn''t even looked like being able to score in the minimal time we''ve seen him this season is enough for me to declare my view that he''s not good enough for the prem and we should move him on if the price offered is fair.

Perhaps someone else can tell us what AN or EH have seen that shows otherwise, because I''m certainly not seeing it on the pitch!

how much did we pay? 3 million ?

id ask for 7.5 + which is massively inflated but if they really want him theyve got itthen we need to go after van dijk and austin

He was our preferred striker over Jerome until his injury and suspension, the lone striker''s role AN prefers promotes selflessness and providing for others, Jerome had two chances on Saturday- how many others did we create?

Grabban is a good aggressive player who fits in well to the high pressing system we play.

Jerome has undoubtedly upped his game since Grabban''s injury but I think it is harsh to write Grabban off based on 60 minutes football (or 1 open goal miss to be precise).

I''m disappointed with how quickly people have forgotten how important a player he was for us towards the latter end of last season.

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]I''m disappointed with how quickly people have forgotten how important a player he was for us towards the latter end of last season.[/quote]Just like Jackson was towards the end of our promotion season under Lambert - but it didn''t make him good enough for the prem then, and it doesn''t make Grabban good enough now...

‘it didn’t make him good enough then, and it doesn’t make

Grabban good enough now’

Yes I appreciate that, but it equally doesn’t make him bad

enough..

I just don’t understand the Jackson comparison!

Yes he was involved quite heavily in the latter part of our

promotion campaign, but he was never our first choice striker. Grabban was as

recently as 4 months ago and as mentioned, only fell down the pecking order

following his injury.

We also never rejected bids from other prem teams for Jackson

and we now have from Grabban..

So, based on the above, I don’t think that using Jackson as

a reason for Grabban not being able to cut it is fair, and advocate that we instead,

use Grabban as a reason for Grabban not being able to cut it. But this can only

be done if we give him a fair chance!

grabban like Jackson was not clinical enough.

We got the best of Jackson in his career and rightly moved on. Grabban has helped get us into the prem, but like Jackson does not have the clinical edge or threat to pose as a leading striker for a premiership club.

As others have said if injuries came in to Jerome and our new striker I would be not very confident with him leading our line.

He will be fourth choice, simple. New guy and Jerome and then Hooper or RVW to be that plan B.

If he starts then it will be due to injuries/suspensions and he will do a job, just now we are in the prem we need to have better on our books if we have the amount of money to do that

Grabban is nothing like Jackson. Grabban has far more in his locker and i''m sorry if you can''t see that you don''t know football.

[quote user="hogesar"]Grabban is nothing like Jackson. Grabban has far more in his locker and i''m sorry if you can''t see that you don''t know football.[/quote]The oracle has spoken, people. What else do we have to know in order to get the ''I know football'' badge?

Really does depend on the bid, if its 3-4m get stuffed.

If its 6-7m then I''d take the money and invest it in the likes of Afobe or Gray for around the 9m mark.

Both are a lot younger with greater potential.

And if a 9m bid for Afobe or Grey gets rejected and we''ve sold Grabban we would be right up the creek without a paddle and Bournemouth would have their strike force strengthened.

I am truly amazed that after one appearance people are so willing to judge that Grabban isn''t good enough at this level. This myth about him needing lots of chances to score is unfair. All strikers fail to convert opportunities and whenever he does people tut and raise an eyebrow. This myth came from bitter Bournemouth fans keen to show how relieved they were to sell him but Howe wants him back now.

Rooney''s had a quiet start to the season and no one is clammering for his retirement.

While Glenn Murray may be considered to be a bit of an underwhelming signing to many, his goalscroing record speaks for itself. For his last 4 clubs he’s averaged about 1 in 2, which, in terms of goalscoring you can’t argue with.

If he was to get a handful of goals which kept us up this season and we went on to buy a younger, more talented striker next season then it would be seen as a great coup.

IMO we could do a lot worse.

We could do worse ? by signing who , and if we let Hooper go and keep the utterly useless Grabban that will just about take the biscuit .

Once again we are in the top flight and once again we look like the little boys lost , was never like this when Chase ran the club .

Here we go again with the Grabban bashing - Those of you who claim he isnt a premier league player I ask you - how many games has he actually played in the prem?

If anything Jerome has been a poor player in the prem in the past, and the same people think hes amazing!

Grabban is liked by AN and had had some good games, hense him starting in the 1st game ok he didnt play well but none of the side did until redmond came on.

If we were to sell him (no matter how much) it would be stupid to sell him to anyone who we need to get a result against to stay up.

All our main 4 strikers (Grabban, Jerome, Hooper, RVW) are proven scorers in the past, and there is no reason why under the right management and a bit of confidence they cant be again, its going to be difficult if AN keeps playing 4-5-1 but as seen already if we are down hes not afraid to bring all forwards on.

Dave did you give the same opinion to theo in our 7-1 Colchester United loss?

Ok exaggerating a bit, but I believe you could see it last year and Bournemouth fans said it.

I would not think they would be too pleased to bring him in.

Either way the new forward and jerome will be ahead of grabban. Hooper and rvw as different strikers.

If we have a forward coming in and can sell grabban that can give us cash for a better centre half then I would be jnterested in selling.

I do not think he is good enough, wasteful in the champ at times. You cannot afford that in the prem.

That goes for all our strikers but grabban is for me the one who has met his peak.

Of course if we can''t get ppl in then we stick but the strange thing is it seems there is unfinished business at Bournemouth... He may wish to return. No comment from Eddie Howe to say they aren''t interested.

[quote user="Dave"]Those of you who claim he isnt a premier league player I ask you - how many games has he actually played in the prem? [/quote]Funny how people were willing to write off Chris Martin as not being good enough, yet would happily have him back at the club today if we made a good offer...The reason I don''t think he''s a premiership player is because he was nowhere near clinical enough in the league below, and is now stepping up to a league where far less chances are created, with much better defenders to play against as well.I couldn''t care less if he does a semi-decent job for whoever we sold him to (assuming we did), because I''d certainly hope that whatever replacment we''d signed (or whatever player AN used instead) had done a better job because he really isn''t anything special.