Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Watford at it again....

[quote user="clarkey1972"]

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Unlike us they weren''t promoted with a squad largely built during 3 recent Premier League seasons. Lots of exotic names with no experience of English football would concern me. Happier to be a canary than a hornet that''s for sure![/quote]

I dont get all this Watford and Bournemouth need more players as we have a better squad bo11ox.  Our far "superior squad" finished 3rd behind these teams.

While I wont pretend to know whether any of these watford signing are better than what they have, the fact they are bringing in players for good money from big clubs worries me.

I know Watford is close to London, but how on earth they can attract players and we cant is beyond me.  this will be our 4th season in the top flight out of the last 5 with a juicy parachute payment covering the other.  Can we not compete financially with other prem clubs? 

[/quote]

It''s worth noting that a number of Watfords signings have been from other clubs that their owners own - so the likelihood of other clubs getting a look in are slim. Bournemouth haven''t signed any real standout players.

From BBC Humberside:

We understand Watford have joined Norwich among the clubs expressing an interest in Hull City winger Robbie Brady. #hcafc

Also being reported:

Watford have reached an agreement with AZ over a move for Steven Berghuis, the Dutch club have confirmed.

I know it''s early days but I can''t really see them in the bottom 3 with the sort of calibre of player they are signing.

I''m not saying these players the likes of Watford and Bournemouth are signing are any good or are players we would want but seems strange these clubs are managing to do business easily enough but we are saying things like "we are trying" and "frustrating" and how it''s everyone else''s fault.

Yeah shame Norwich can''t sign some players like Watford have been doing. We can''t afford to go into the premier league with the defence we have - one or two injuries to Bassong and Martin and we will be in trouble if we have to rely on Ryan Bennett and Turner in our defence.

Turner can''t defend long balls - like we saw when Forest scored against us last season when we played them away. Like when he headed the ball to a Leeds player and Leeds scored.

Ryan Bennett is the same - he played in defence against Rotherham away and was awful - couldn''t mark their players whilst they were creating chances for fun. Players like Turner & Bennett will get murdered against some of the top strikers in the Premier League.

We desperately need to sign a centre back and also a right back. Whittaker is good going forward - he can whip in good crosses. But we saw at Cambridge Utd how he gave the ball for the throw in.

Also Ryan Bennett was partly at fault for that goal - he goes in for a sliding tackle and the player easily goes past him down the left wing and then Dorrans fails to mark the man free in the box who scores...

Russell Martin is certainly not a right back as some suggest - you only have to look at the goal Rotherham scored against Norwich - when he was dragged out of position and tries to head the ball and then was trying to get back and failed to block the cross. We certainly seem to concede goals on that right wing area.

Chicken-only Vydra and Nyom have come from Udinese, no players from Granada-the other 6?-I''ve lost count!-have been from non-Pozzo owned teams so anyone would have been able to sign them.

Plus, the philosophy of the owner is to scout out players who can be developed and then sold on for a profit, so If anyone wanted Vydra or Nyom they could have had them for the right price.

It''s not rocket science. Do a bit of research on the Pozzo family and how they run football clubs.

The Udinese model is based upon an extensive scouting network across the world that buys young and upcoming talent for relatively small sums and when they turn into stars, sell them on for a large profit which is then reinvested in the club and other signings. Prominent examples include Márcio Amoroso, Fabio Quagliarella, Alexis Sanchez, Kwadwo Asamoah and Samir Handanović.

Herman, I''ve mentioned this a few times but I think thst people prefer to remain in the dark, convinced that Signor Pozzo is a mad foreign owner in the same mold as QPR''s owner.

Most of my friends are Watford fans and they are happy with the signings. Mind you, I haven''t spoken to any of them in a week and I''ve lost count of the number of players they''ve bought since then so they might not be so happy now!

It''s also possible that some of these players will actually be loaned to either Udinese or Granada. Unlikely but possible.

Wikipedia.

Christ I wasn''t claiming that as my own piece of work. Just putting it on for people to see.

berghuis is a decent punt who is likely to improve over the next year or so - better option than brady for me although he does not have the same versatility

I do wish people would appreciate what they already have a bit more. 

Our squad  - under AN - was the best by far in the last few weeks of the

season.   Even under Hughton''s relegation season, the problem was not

so much the defence - our goals against was not that bad, it was lack of

goals scored that was the problem.

Whittaker, Martin,

Bassong and Olsson are a settled back unit, used to playing together -

and under AN let in very few goals - and will perform well again next

season, even if  because of the better quality of opposition we let in

more goals - as we are bound to. With good

organisation and covering from the likes of Tettey and Mulumbu, the

defence will be more than good enough to keep the goals down to a

minimum - and as long as the attack does its job in scoring goals, we

will be fine.

The constant jealousy of other clubs and grass

is always greener attitude shown by some posters (some of whom are on a

wind up of course) is over the top and people need to get a grip on

themselves.  Let other clubs panic buy and change their whole team

around.  We don''t need to.   We''ll no doubt get one or two in to strengthen, but really all we need to do is stop worrying about what others are doing, let the club get the players in that they want to, at the price they want to pay - and other than that - appreciate what you''ve got!!

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Herman, I''ve mentioned this a few times but I think thst people prefer to remain in the dark, convinced that Signor Pozzo is a mad foreign owner in the same mold as QPR''s owner.

Most of my friends are Watford fans and they are happy with the signings. Mind you, I haven''t spoken to any of them in a week and I''ve lost count of the number of players they''ve bought since then so they might not be so happy now!

It''s also possible that some of these players will actually be loaned to either Udinese or Granada. Unlikely but possible.[/quote]I wish I had stayed in the dark. After reading about them I''m a bit more worried about Watford. Not even because they are signing half of Europe.Although, it would be interesting to see what happens if any of these teams face each other in the UEFA cup, for example.

I don''t really care what Watford do or don''t do - for me, they have simply brought in too many players, lost any sense of continuity from the side that went up - and the suggestion is that they are looking for more. If I was a supporter, I''d actually be rather disappointed. Quite how they will keep all these players happy is anyone''s guess. It may work out for them but I much prefer our ''usual'' way of incremental improvements from window to window - this does assume we will make those necessary improvements, but I don''t doubt that we will see players coming in soon.

I''m interested to know when was the last time a club had a successful season after buying such a huge amount of players during the summer transferee window?

Sorry Oh C-J, wasn''t actually having a go, I was just glad that someone else has mentioned their scouting network as most people on here seem to think that Watford have been picking names out of a hat. And the reason I mentioned Google was that any of those people could have found it for themselves but they prefer to remain in the dark. And of course it was Wikipedia, not Google, my mistake.

Sorry juSt used to people having a pop on here.

People keep comparing Watford to QPR. Difference is QPR would sign big reputations on big wages on players who didn''t really want to fight.

You''re right to be worried about them I think, especially as I reckon that the Pozzos may now concentrate on financing Watford rather than Udinese, as the Prem is more lucrative than Serie A.

No worries, my post should have been much better worded! The owners of Watford and the owners of QPR are a million miles apart in terms of football knowledge!

Importantly it is if the sock fits.

Most of these players watford have bought may well fit in very well for what is needed.

I''m sure that amongst the posters Watford are signing there are some good ones and they will doubtless do better than many are assuming. However for me the risk they have taken is the sheer extent of the overhaul they have done. We know from experience (and the likes of Swansea, Southampton and one of two others have shown) that keeping together the core of what got you up and the spirit of that team can serve you well. It will be interesting to see if they lose gist by having so many new players and, of course, a new manager.

We are perhaps the opposite though. Need to get our act together and bring in a couple more urgently now. We only need two, perhaps carefully identified additions so perhaps are fortunate in that refers but the lack of successful activity has been rather worrying, especially when you look at a premier division where us difficult this season to identify too many weak teams.

When the pozzos first took over Watford three years ago they signed 17 players in the summer! Watford finished third that season under Zola, so don''t kid yourselves that their new signings won''t gel. They''ve also signed their best players from last year on extended contracts this summer so one would assume everyone''s happy.

Fine, it does seem horrendously mercenary and certainly not the way I''d like my club to work, but whatever turns you on!

One thing I don''t quite get - is there not a ''home grown'' rule in the PL? Watford have so far brought in 9 foreign players this transfer window. I''m all for free trade and all that, and certainly didn''t like the FA ideas put forward for the game re: B teams, but they must look at Watford and cringe: not one home nation player in the whole lot.

Watford are no different than any other PL club in looking abroad for incoming players. What do you think Arsenal, Chelsea, United etc etc have been doing for years? British players are mediocre and overpriced - see Raheem sterling for more info.

Sadly the over inflated fees of English players and players transfered between 2 prem sides is why clubs look to abroad. The Spanish equivalent to Jordan Rhodes wouldn''t cost you £12m. Probably more like £2m.

Branston Pickle wrote the following post at 24/07/2015 10:21 AM:

I''ve never seen them bring 9 in in one window, though. The game in this country is as good as dead if this is seen as the way forward.

What difference does it make what timescale the signings are spread over? It''s been seen as the way forward for years and the game seems very much alive and well.