Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Adam Johnson

How about we wait for actual facts to be released before getting the pitchforks out and demanding a burning?For all we know he could have gone to a nightclub, pulled and been totally unaware that the girl in question was underage thanks to a combination of make-up and beer goggles. If we also consider that ANYONE inside a club is meant to be at least 18, then you should be able to have a degree of confidence that anyone who agrees to consensual sex is also NOT underage to begin with!It''s getting to a point now where the whole idea of a ''one night stand'' may as well be described as ''opportunity to get a criminal sentence because someone was too drunk, lied about their age or were otherwise unacceptable to be legally accesible for consensual sex''....I''m glad I''m married with kids and well out of the whole scene to be honest, because it appears to be nothing but a minefield these days, especially for people who in essence have done NOTHING wrong, but still get punished over it!Obviously, if this is NOT the case and he was fully aware of what he was doing, then I hope they throw the book at him and he spends the next 5-10 years playing for the local prison side...

I wouldn''t make a judgement on this without knowing the facts. I wouldn''t be in a position to.

But I am in a position to comment on Indy''s ridiculous comments about beer goggles and makeup. Are those things really enough to absolve someone''s responsibility?

Quite agree Indy Bones, on all counts. It is quite astonishing how many player ''incidents'' there are though, of one sort or another, nowadays - I guess it is a mix of them having a lot of ££ so young, together with a media desperate to report stuff, and others willing to sell a story. You''d have thought players would be more careful given all that''s gone on before.

You can surely see what he means, nutty. There''s a difference in openly knowing someone''s young, and ''pulling'' in a club where it shouldn''t even occur to you they might be underage.

Can''t see anything wrong with what Indy''s put, myself.  If we''re talking responsibility - is it parents, for not controlling their kids?  The night club, for not checking ids?  The girls themselves?  Its not hard for some girls to make themselves look over eighteen.     It is a minefield.

Minefield it may be but if beer goggles can now mean responsibiltyfor actions is relinquished perhaps the drink driving laws are archaic and in need of reform...

It was the beer made me do it your honour....

Any male who has sex with a girl under 16 is breaking the law. Even if she says yes-even if she looks over 16-even if she was in a club for over 18s only-even if she says she was over 16.

I can''t see what is so difficult to understand about this.

Those that have daughters will view it different to those that don''t maybe, if he is guilty then throw the book, Sunderland have been very quick to react by suspending him, which makes you wonder why ?

Well, you could blame the fact "beer goggles" were in operation, not that we know they were.
In theory you could also, as is implied, blame young women for daring to dress up, wear make-up, and go to clubs and bars where they shouldn''t be able to get into.  Outrageous behaviour!  None of us ever tried to look older than we were and get into clubs or bars!  The outrageous whores!
Or we could say, look, here''s a man in his twenties who is old enough to make responsible decisions - and that''s before we factor in the "role model" angle which I partially agree with - and therefore he must accept responsibility for his actions.
I don''t think it''s difficult particularly.

Perhaps all men should ask for ID before agreeing to sleep with a woman? I have a daughter and i agree 100% with Indy. But perhaps that''s because i''m not a narrow minded pitch fork wielding type who believes we should criminalise anyone who so much as looks at a young person. This country''s obsession with underage sex and paedophilia is frightening.

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]Perhaps all men should ask for ID before agreeing to sleep with a woman? I have a daughter and i agree 100% with Indy. But perhaps that''s because i''m not a narrow minded pitch fork wielding type who believes we should criminalise anyone who so much as looks at a young person.[/quote]
Looks at a young person > having sex with a young person
I''m amazed you can use a keyboard, Tony.

In law, under 16''s cannot give consent so he would be on dodgy ground trying to use that as a defence.What a court will take into consideration however is the respective age of the two people. If the girl is 15 and the guy is 16 or 17 it''s far less serious than if the guy is 27, as in this case.None of us know the circumstances but on the facts reported I would think Adam Johnson is skating on very thin ice.

Sorry, but I don''t care how much slap and fancy clothes you put on a 15 year old, there should be doubt enough in most men''s minds to either steer clear, or establish some facts. Just ignoring your own common sense suspicions will get you in trouble, as is possibly the case here.If the thought process is "well she looks a bit young, but seems up for it" then thats extremely naive, or perhaps thinking you will get away with it ( because you are a famous footballer) or not get caught at all.

If this case does make court and if it transpires that the girl was in a nightclub for over 18s/21 anf if she agreed to sex ( can''t be consensual because she was not of age to give consent) then he will plead not guilty and it will go to trial before a jury. His defence will play out the mitigation of nightclub/ girl was willing/ had no reason to believe she was under age and there is a reasonable chance this will see him acquitted. If the girl has gone to the press to make money, etc this will also weigh in his favour as it will cast doubts on her character.

Alternatively if he met her in uniform outside of school then that''s an entirely different scenario.

The truth will out , for now it''s mere conjecture.

but in the meantime Sunderland, already in the midst of a relegation scrap, will be without one of their most influential players.

IF he met this girl in a nightclub, they got on, and agreed to go home together, i ask again, was he supposed to ID this girl before taking things further? Do some of you live in the real world? It''s sad so many people are incapable of rational thought in these situations.

Jesus TC, ae you serious? There''s a big difference between looking at a girl and shagging her!

And in answer to your next point-it is a man''s responsibility to make sure he isn''t having sex with an underage girl-if he has any doubts, he shouldn''t do it.

Come on then Tony, talk me through the conversation with your 15 year old daughter when she tells you she spent the night with a 27 year old man.
Her fault, was it?

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]IF he met this girl in a nightclub, they got on, and agreed to go home together, i ask again, was he supposed to ID this girl before taking things further? Do some of you live in the real world? It''s sad so many people are incapable of rational thought in these situations.[/quote]Well frankly if I was in any doubt I would either establish some facts or walk away.The guy is 27, not some naive 18 year old.

[quote user="Funny old game"]If this case does make court and if it transpires that the girl was in a nightclub for over 18s/21 anf if she agreed to sex ( can''t be consensual because she was not of age to give consent) then he will plead not guilty and it will go to trial before a jury. His defence will play out the mitigation of nightclub/ girl was willing/ had no reason to believe she was under age and there is a reasonable chance this will see him acquitted. If the girl has gone to the press to make money, etc this will also weigh in his favour as it will cast doubts on her character.

Alternatively if he met her in uniform outside of school then that''s an entirely different scenario.

but in the meantime Sunderland, already in the midst of a relegation scrap, will be without one of their most influential players.[/quote]If he did have sex with the girl then his best hope would be a quick guilty plea and get a good brief to offer mitigation. I don''t think he has a hope in hell of winning if he takes it to trial.

I think even Indyaccepted that nobody knows the facts. So much of wwhat''s being said is pointless.

However, I assume the term beer goggles means that through a mist of alcohol something appeared differently than it would have done through sober site. I doubt there''s a court in the land that would view that as an excuse for breaking any law.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Funny old game"]If this case does make court and if it transpires that the girl was in a nightclub for over 18s/21 anf if she agreed to sex ( can''t be consensual because she was not of age to give consent) then he will plead not guilty and it will go to trial before a jury. His defence will play out the mitigation of nightclub/ girl was willing/ had no reason to believe she was under age and there is a reasonable chance this will see him acquitted. If the girl has gone to the press to make money, etc this will also weigh in his favour as it will cast doubts on her character.

but in the meantime Sunderland, already in the midst of a relegation scrap, will be without one of their most influential players.[/quote]If he did have sex with the girl then his best hope would be a quick guilty plea and get a good brief to offer mitigation. I don''t think he has a hope in hell of winning if he takes it to trial.[/quote]

Depends where it goes to trial. Some unexpected jury verdicts where footballers are concerned over the past 10-15 years which it would be inappropriate to name as they were acquitted in spite of, on occasions, compelling evidence.