Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Under 21s v Borusssiamea.... them Germans ;)

I''m getting quite attached to these U21 players. Another great performance tonight. Ray Grant got MOM and probably deserved it. He''s always close to being my MOM. He plays very much like his Dad. Always showing for the ball and does the simple things well. But he has a great eye for a pass. Josh had a good game and must have been close as did Carlton Morris who took his goal well and Cameron Norman. McGrandles helped us dominate midfield for the majority of the game and broke up play really well. It was the best I''ve seen from him.Defensively we were well in control for the hour Bassong played. He certainly looked motivated and appeared to be enjoying himself. He even went on a couple of his attacking charges up the pitch. Efete, who came on for Kelly just before halftime took my eye. I don''t know much about him. I thought he was a full back when he came from Palace but he looked quite a handful attacking on the right wing. He finished the game at full back after Awuah had to go off and we went down to ten men.

There''s some highlights here : -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4RMcsx-RwI&feature=youtu.be

What better than Whittaker? Do you think McGrindles is worth a go if Tettey & O''Neil ate still out?

Good stuff. Nice to see a bit of confidence restored for Josh Murphy.

My only complaint would be the free entry. Bleedin cheek if you ask me, presumably there were free pies to make up for it!

Great finish from Morison.  I thought he was on loan at York for the rest of the season?

Murphy looked up for it as well based on the highlights.

I believe Morison was called back especially for this game?

Not sure what the wider implications of that are for his loan spell, presumably there is a contractual clause to release him for these fixtures?

This Ray Grant fella, he''s a centre mid isn''t he? "Plays the ball and does the simple things well"

Surely Saturday was the perfect day for this. Stick Wes on the bench if he gets stage fright and go. We sure wouldn''t have ended the match with 64% pass completion!

He was playing against guys of a same age and readiness. Playing against a team as good as Brentford would have been a different matter. Some people underestimate the quality of opposition we face in this league.

Excellent, thanks Nutty. I thought the ball did cross the line for a goal. Great save by Rudd 2.45 in.

A good result and a solid performance.

My points of note. Seb played a very strong and vocal game, however, so he should against a young team. I''m not of the mind of the EDP who use words such as ''shines'' and ''impresses'' as if he performed above what should be expected of someone with his experience. Mind you Paddy Davitt uses the words "a blurring trigger move that was pure poetry to watch and an unerring finish" to describe NR''s goal last Saturday and then goes on to talk about the fotuitous defelection. OK a decent goal but a bit over the top?

Garrido and Miquel again gave solid performances, although perhaps not as dominant as Seb.

Ray Grant is coming on by the week and was at the root of most moves through the midfiled.

Josh, an enigma. I''ve watched Josh over the years and as far as I can see, he seems to have lost his final touch and shooting accuracy. I also noticed that his body language is negative when things go wrong, I just wonder which of these factors is the chicken or the egg.

Carlton Morris, a very well taken goal but didn''t appear to offer much more, but if all our strikers score one goal per game I guess we would be happy.

The one player who stood out for me was Michee Efete, especially given he is still only 17. When he came on he gave Borussia quiote a headache down the right.

All in all, everyone performed well and good to get a win.

[quote user="Herman "]He was playing against guys of a same age and readiness. Playing against a team as good as Brentford would have been a different matter. Some people underestimate the quality of opposition we face in this league.[/quote]

And who were Luke Shaw, Sam Gallacher, Harrison Reed etc playing against before being thrust into the limelight at Southampton?

I think if we''re short on Saturday, we should seriously consider playing a youth player. It''s not like we''d be spoilt for choice with the seniors. We need a player that can "do the simple things well etc." and if Grant is the best available player then he should be picked. What are we scared of? Hell he might even surprise us!

By all accounts, my mate who supports York City avidly doesn''t rate Morris much. Says he''s easily bullied etc. Hopefully he''ll improve and make the transition we are all hoping for to the mens game. In some ways, he looked the most likely to out of the Youth Cup winning side.

A lot of encouraging performances last night. McGrandles was good and as others have said Grant is busy and does the simple things well.

Glad that Carlton Morris got his goal (and it was a good one) because up until then he''d been having a bit of a mare. Also agree with most of what Ray said about Josh Murphy. Noticed the same things in the first half, but though that he was much improved in the second.

Player who really caught my eye though was Sam Kelly. Unfortunately he went off injured just before half time, but in the time he was on the pitch he showed real skill, balance, appreciation of space and a good burst of pace. First time I''ve seen him play and I was impressed.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Herman "]He was playing against guys of a same age and readiness. Playing against a team as good as Brentford would have been a different matter. Some people underestimate the quality of opposition we face in this league.[/quote]

And who were Luke Shaw, Sam Gallacher, Harrison Reed etc playing against before being thrust into the limelight at Southampton?

I think if we''re short on Saturday, we should seriously consider playing a youth player. It''s not like we''d be spoilt for choice with the seniors. We need a player that can "do the simple things well etc." and if Grant is the best available player then he should be picked. What are we scared of? Hell he might even surprise us![/quote]What are we scared of? The way the fans are acting at the moment I wouldn''t want to risk a youngster in the first team.I will put this to the guys that were there last night. Are any of our youngsters ready to step up, especially Grant/McGrandles? Would it be a positive or negative risk to try them?

Herman,

Whilst I agree it may be a risk, when is it never a risk.

Everyone has to make their debut at some stage and it could equally be argued that the younger you are the less fear you have!

It''s a bit like a child taking its first steps, it will probably fall over a few times but with the right encouragement the child eventually masters the art of walking and then running and even standing on one leg, etc. etc.

With the right encouragement (including us fans) there is no reason why some of our youngsters couldn''t do a very decent job for us. Cam McGeehan scored a brace on his senior debut in the league, then was one of the stars in the game against Man Utd and then scored again last night, don''t see too much fear there and has performed from the off, same with Toffolo and Jacob Murphy when at Blackpool. Not all Championship sides I grant you, but hey, they''re doing OK in my book.

Would we want to blood three or four in one game, no, but one or two here and there will unearth a diamond, of that I''m sure.

the fans will accept youth players making some mistakes its the experienced big ego 1st teamers that get my goat !!!

I have said all along why play a out of form out of position player than a young hungry player ?

like others have said its not what they do in training its what they do on a match day

we need so players with no fear and if that means younger players get them in the if 1st team are not performing !

Encouragement is the key word. I''mdisappointed over some of the comments about Josh. This must be a difficult time for him. In the short time he''s been in the first team squad he''s had 3 first team managers and 4 first team coaches. And then Jake going off on loan must also have made things a bit different him.

I''m no judge of which players can bridge the huge gap to championship football. You never really find out til they are tried. I''ve often been sure players would make it only to be disappointed. I''d have hated to see any youngsters being involved on Saturday and then contend with the poisonous atmosphere in the stadium. I''m also confident that our club will look after them and give them the best chance.

Nutty,

I agree entirely re Josh re managers and brother, etc. May be this has affected him but he doesn''t seen as confident as he once was and as we know, football is played in the head, the body just carries out the instructions. I hope he gets all the right support.

I also think that had a couple of (untried) youngsters been involved Saturday then the resulting performance and potential crowd reaction may well have been different, may not of course but that''s the life of a pro footballer I guess.

morfoklngood,

One of their better players but none of them set the world alight. I can see why he may be highly thought of though, difficult to judge on one game.

He looked really good in the last 15/20 mins which was the only time they were on top. I was glad to hear the final whistle. I didnt notice him much before that but I did only have eyes for the yellas :)

Following on canaries wall - Sam Kelly was mentioned so many times - sounded like he was having a brilliant game, pity none of the highlights showed him, I would have liked to have seen him. Match report doesn''t say much about him other than his injury Hopefully its not serious and he will play against Man City in February, I would like to see him for myself