Sign in to follow this  
ca

Team for the Derby game?

LDC

"We are well placed to get promotion with this squad and that is the mark of success this season - but if we are a team in development with a long term strategy then promotion isn''t a prime requirement this season. But that isn''t what we have been told.........."

Completely lost me with this one.

The thing is we are not that well placed for promotion, it''s still very possible but we''re almost half way there in terms of games played and we''re not even in the play offs. Yes there is still time but as we all know we need to get promotion this season of fear becoming a club like ipsh1t, resigned to each season in the championship. We are not a team in development, this is one of the best teams ever in the championship on paper, obviously except Newcastle and a few others. There is is no long term plan- get promoted or else stagnate

[quote user="Vanwink"]LDC

"We are well placed to get promotion with this squad and that is the mark of success this season - but if we are a team in development with a long term strategy then promotion isn''t a prime requirement this season. But that isn''t what we have been told.........."

Completely lost me with this one.[/quote]

Sorry. I meant that there are two possible strategies, either promotion or long term development. With Adams and co being appointed it looked as if a longer term view was being taken, but we were told that promotion was the main requirement. To achieve promotion AND establish a successful longer term way of working that means we can appoint from within, would be an achievement indeed.  We''ll see.

I think that''s why everyone including myself was so infuriated by the appointment. We all knew we had to go straight back up yet we appoint Neil Adams. However, there''s no point complaining, and i''m not pointing the finger at you, i''m pointing the finger at myself. He''s been chosen to lead us to promotion this year and hopefully he can do it, whether he has full support of the fans or not.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Vanwink"]LDC

Completely lost me with this one.[/quote]Sorry. I meant that there are two possible strategies, either promotion or long term development. With Adams and co being appointed it looked as if a longer term view was being taken, but we were told that promotion was the main requirement. To achieve promotion AND establish a successful longer term way of working that means we can appoint from within, would be an achievement indeed.  We''ll see. [/quote]There''s a fair bit of truth in the promotion vs long term development argument, you really need to choose between one or the other. That''s not to say you don''t try and win games if you go down the developement route, or conversely don''t try and develop the team if you go for promotion.What''s happened is that Adams has tried to do both to a roughly equal extent and succeeded in neither. Given that we''re somewhere in the middle of a 20 year slump in terms of development, I would say long term development would have been the sensible choice. We had the opportunity to get in a suitable manager and coaching team, plus the parachute payments to finance this and get promoted within say a 3 year timeframe.

What is this long term development thingy. It''s not and has never been an option with the squad we have. Neil was appointed to get us promoted, if in doing so he develops some of the younger players, that''s a consequence rather than the main objective.

I for one am confident that he will get us up, he has been through and come out of a really tough patch, that''s only going make him and the squad stronger.

Jenkins wrote the following post at 22/12/2014 6:33 PM:

I for one am confident that he will get us up, he has been through and come out of a really tough patch, that''s only going make him and the squad stronger.

---------------------

Until we may possibly lose a few and you''ll want him gone again, no?

Not at all, I don''t have an agenda like you Mrs. I genuinely didn''t think he could turn it round but I am delighted that he has.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Vanwink"]LDC

Completely lost me with this one.[/quote]

Sorry. I meant that there are two possible strategies, either promotion or long term development. With Adams and co being appointed it looked as if a longer term view was being taken, but we were told that promotion was the main requirement. To achieve promotion AND establish a successful longer term way of working that means we can appoint from within, would be an achievement indeed.  We''ll see.

[/quote]As the late Mandy Rice-Davies might have put it: "They would say that, wouldn''t they?"Football directors come out with many comments for public consumption. They are not all to be taken seriously. Although I suspect this one was so meant.Myself, I am not sure appointing Adams was down to a particular philosophy. I think he was there and available after Mackay fell out of the running and no-one else seemed obvious. Because on the face of it whatever footballing philosophy it was that made Mackay an appealing option can hardly have been the same philosophy that put Adams in the frame next.It would be a brave board of directors that really have this supposed development option as its priority. I am dubious that that in the real world there is such a choice.

"It would be a brave board of directors that really have this supposed development option as its priority. I am dubious that that in the real world there is such a choice."

Certainly there is no such choice for a team with not far off a Prem squad in the Championship Purple.

[quote user="Jenkins"]"It would be a brave board of directors that really have this supposed development option as its priority. I am dubious that that in the real world there is such a choice."

Certainly there is no such choice for a team with not far off a Prem squad in the Championship Purple.[/quote]Quite. I think there is a long-term issue here, to do with the poor quality of coaching in the English game compared with much of that abroad. On a Guardian podcast today a German journalist was vehemently attacking the notion (he was talking about Arsenal in particular but making a general point) that buying better players was always the solution. He advocated better coaching for those already there.Now I would be all in favour of that as part of a  "Norwich Way" development plan from the ground up, but it is hard to see how you fit that into the week in, week out necessity of the first team gaining immediate results.

"Given that we''re somewhere in the middle of a 20 year slump in terms of development"   binpennyThere appears to be a bit of a competiton between binners on here to see who is the dimmest. Possibly as difficult (and pointless) as which is the fattest pig in suffolk.Slump, eh binboy ?Start of the art youth set up, best youth squads in my memoryBest squad in any Championship seasonDebt cleared, games sold out and hospitaly income that you paupers can only dream of

Jenkins wrote the following post at 22/12/2014 7:14 PM:

Not at all, I don''t have an agenda like you Mrs. I genuinely didn''t think he could turn it round but I am delighted that he has.

--------------------------------------

Yes I''ve seen previously that you think I have some sort of agenda (though I don''t fully understand what that agenda is). What I''m saying is that i''m surprised that you didn''t think he could turn it around after we dropped out of the play-offs having previously thought of him as an excellent manager. Do you still think he''s an excellent manager?

Although you have to expect us to beat a very poor wigan team and a 10 man Huddersfield team (and they did, well done to them for that), it was so important we got something at Derby and we did so well done to Neil, Phelan and the team. Does that make an excellent manager though? I was wondering as you were such a massive supporter of Adams before the season started, after a few losses you then wanted him out. Now we''ve beat Wigan, Huddersfield and got a good point away at Derby, is you''re support as strong as it was at the start of the season, do you still think he''s an excellent manager?

Excellent has to be pushing it at this stage, but he may still prove me right, he certainly is moving in the right direction.

Hope that helps in some way.😌

it does as it shows even his most vocal and intense supporters lost faith in him. It seems he''s started to turn it around, we can only hope it continues and I think it will, to what extent none of us know. With the squad we have we could''ve hardly done too much worse after a magnificent start. All part of the twists and turns within a successful season hopefully.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]In what way has adams tried to do both tenpenny if I may ask?[/quote]He tried to change the style (more passing, more all out attacking), but rather than perfect it he seems to be trying to force results. It''s a subtle difference, but it''s about emphasis on playing a certain way and getting the basics right versus chopping and changing and regularly doing what''s necessary however ugly.Not the same as League football, but look at the Belgian youth system focussing on technique and tactics rather than worrying about results. Paradoxically the results improved dramatically after the change of emphasis.

[quote user="City1st"]"Given that we''re somewhere in the middle of a 20 year slump in terms of development"   binpennyThere appears to be a bit of a competiton between binners on here to see who is the dimmest. Possibly as difficult (and pointless) as which is the fattest pig in suffolk.Slump, eh binboy ?Start of the art youth set up, best youth squads in my memoryBest squad in any Championship seasonDebt cleared, games sold out and hospitaly income that you paupers can only dream of[/quote]Evening Herman.

I think we can credit the board with the development philosophy being something of a factor.

If you don''t consider such a factor when you have an FA Youth Cup winning side, twins with pace, technique and scoring ability and an interim manager who won the cup, knows them all and will give them a chance.

In the further context of FFFP, an Adademy Cat 1 rating, a huge relative investment in youth and a significant immediate drop in income, I think you do the board a disservice to imagine that the roots of a longer term strategy (also bus creation of a football board) are not clearly present and part of the thinking in Adams'' appointment.

Parma

Youth development is quite clearly part of the clubs'' long term strategy and Adams background will assist rather than hinder that, but there is a difference between a long term strategic aim and the immediate need to get back into he Prem.

Vanwink wrote:

LDC "We are well placed to get promotion with this squad and that is the mark of success this season - but if we are a team in development with a long term strategy then promotion isn''t a prime requirement this season. But that isn''t what we have been told.........." Completely lost me with this one.

Sorry.

I meant that there are two possible strategies, either promotion or long term development. With Adams and co being appointed it looked as if a longer term view was being taken, but we were told that promotion was the main requirement. To achieve promotion AND establish a successful longer term way of working that means we can appoint from within, would be an achievement indeed. We''ll see.

Now I understand what you mean. Having Adams as manager is bound to benefit our own young players I suppose because he knows so much about them and presumably will still take a close interest in them but his overriding objective is to get us promoted.

The irony is that if we do to up it will be even harder for our home grown lads to feature.

Not if they are good enough!

I''m sure another coupke seasons will see Murphy boys pushing on.

I''m looking forward to Friday and hopefully another win pushing us closer to the top 6.

Can we agree that Adams has turned things around with a win against Millwall and it was genius( although I called for Phelan in the summer) to bring in Phelan?

Hoping for Carrow road to be bouncing from Boxing day onwards........OTBC.

Looking forward to xmas fixtures, although im sure there isn''t as many shoe horned in as normal? anyway out of millwall and reading I think we can get 4 points easy anything else will be a bonus. All heading in the right direction to make up ground