Sign in to follow this  
ca

Team for the Derby game?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]"The team are gelling well, and the bench looking like one of our strongest ever"

.....that''s the issue....there are people on the bench that should be in the team[/quote]
* in your opinion.
It seems that the manager, over the last theee games has got things pretty much tactically correct.
Perhaps give him a bit of begrudging credit?

I thought the starting team was appropriate for yesterdays game. It was a tough team we were playing with home advantage. As others have suggested we should see some tinkering for our next game.

[quote user="Herman "]I thought the starting team was appropriate for yesterdays game. It was a tough team we were playing with home advantage. As others have suggested we should see some tinkering for our next game.[/quote]

Its a mute point. The thing is, we went behind again.  A team lacking creativity and a whole first half of endeavour but we still went behind.  That team can score and did, but it wasn''t until Redmond came on that we really started asking the questions.  If  we ae going to be genuine contenders, we have to be braver with team selection - B''nmouth, Brentford, Watford, Midfdsbro...creative and committed to attacking .....and above us.    We have to match that.   The first half last week was abysmal. We can''t keep doing that at home, even if it was more appropriate for yesterday - and that is arguable too.

Last three games we have got the tactics and selections pretty much spot on considering the situation we found ourselves in. There may well be opportunities to play a more expansive game as we build on our recent run, but it''s going to take time for that to happen. Yes we had some excellent players on the bench yesterday, but the ones on the field pretty much stopped Derby from playing, you have to do that especially away from home if you want a successful season.

the only thing that matters at this point, is the points, Neil''s selection and his players have got us the last 7 out of 9 points, yes Redmond should''ve started in the games but I think his plan is to keep it tight for the first half, then get in front in the second. If it works for him, then credit it to him, he needed the points. I reckon as we''ll be more confident Redmond will start and come in for O'' Neil, Johnson on the left and Howson and Tettey in the middle.

Well our ''commited to attacking'' approach got us absolutely nowhere, and came close to getting the manager sacked. We''ve come out of a bad patch and are trying to get the basics right so that we can get the confidence back and then stride forward. You all seem to think that after two wins we should be now be back to our best, it''s going to take time i''m afraid."Learn to walk before you can run".

It''s always a moot point as this is a discussion board Lakey.

I have been reading the Derby forums and they keep a running theme that we were the best side that they have played this season.

The original selection was spot on as it gave us a platform to make the winning changes later on.

Gaining points is about 90 plus minutes and 14 players in this league as we found to our cost before this turnaround.

That was a very good performance and should have been 3 points. Derby fans seem grateful for their point.

LDC "Its a mute point. The thing is, we went behind again. A team lacking creativity and a whole first half of endeavour but we still went behind. That team can score and did, but it wasn''t until Redmond came on that we really started asking the questions. If we ae going to be genuine contenders, we have to be braver with team selection - B''nmouth, Brentford, Watford, Midfdsbro...creative and committed to attacking .....and above us. We have to match that. The first half last week was abysmal. We can''t keep doing that at home, even if it was more appropriate for yesterday - and that is arguable too. "

You may not have noticed LDC but we won 5 nil last week, a game lasts for 90 minutes, that would indicate to me that we got things spot on.

I am amazed that you critisise what we are doing after you were so supportive of the tactics CH used.

[quote user="Vanwink"]

You may not have noticed LDC but we won 5 nil last week, a game lasts for 90 minutes, that would indicate to me that we got things spot on.

I am amazed that you critisise what we are doing after you were so supportive of the tactics CH used.[/quote]

Yes. I know.  A game that was crying out for Redmond or similar.  45 minutes of poor football, could well have gone in a goal down - just like we did yesterday.  Playing that way with the players we had on the bench is in the long term self-defeating.  If we''re going to compete with the teams above us - who are still pulling away btw - we have to get that out of our system, especially at home - and return to a more enterprising style from the beginning of matches.  Otherwise we leave ourselves too much to do. 

As for Hughton, I understood what he was trying to do.  He - or the players - weren''t able to do it, but the method was there - and it had some sense to it.  This season we have been experimenting, then things going bad, then trying to shore things up.  We are still coming out of that shoring things up phase - and once we do, we will imo need to get back to an enterprising 11 - from the start.

Generally agree with LDC as to his take on Adams. However, if we''ve have acted a year ago in respect of Hughtom we might have been looking forward to Spurs or Arsenal on Boxing Day rather than Millwall.

Highland Canary wrote the following post at 21/12/2014 1:52 PM:

Generally agree with LDC as to his take on Adams. However, if we''ve have acted a year ago in respect of Hughtom we might have been looking forward to Spurs or Arsenal on Boxing Day rather than Millwall.

Spot on Highland, maybe you should have said 18 months ago. The problem I have is that posters who continued to support the failing CH to the very end despite what was unfolding before their eyes, are now having a go at a manager, who may well have got many things wrong, but who is changing, adapting, learning and working hard to get things right, something Hughton singularly failed to do. I never saw that man change a game, Adams makes a change and we score 5 goals..........

[quote user="Vanwink"]Highland Canary wrote the following post at 21/12/2014 1:52 PM: Generally agree with LDC as to his take on Adams. However, if we''ve have acted a year ago in respect of Hughtom we might have been looking forward to Spurs or Arsenal on Boxing Day rather than Millwall. Spot on Highland, maybe you should have said 18 months ago. The problem I have is that posters who continued to support the failing CH to the very end despite what was unfolding before their eyes, are now having a go at a manager, who may well have got many things wrong, but who is changing, adapting, learning and working hard to get things right, something Hughton singularly failed to do. I never saw that man change a game, Adams makes a change and we score 5 goals..........[/quote]

Vanwink, you have to be more understanding. In Lakey''s case, in particular, he is well on his way to getting it wrong on managers two times in a row. That''s a lot to bear for a man who doesn''t like to get it wrong at all. Why else do you think he wriggles, protests and justify all of his reactions on the matter?

might be that the team put out to start the game is the one to'' hold the fort'' so to speak, whilst the manager/coaches get the measure of the opposition before ajusting the team (subs) accordinglyin the meantime players such as Tettey and O''Neil can rough them up a bit firstboth the above regularly happen, it''s just they don''t fit in to well with the '' happy clappy'' ..... 5312, 4325, swim the channels, play one on top, smoke a No.10     bollox that gets all too often posted on herewhat we saw yesterday was Derby attempting to play a very close marking game, one that can be very effective if the opposition ''stay in place'' but can be very difficult to stick to if the opppostion is constantly moving about dragging your players with themthe ''confusion'' of whether you stay with your man or take the nearest umarked player was one of the factors in allowing both Olsson and Whittaker to get forwardI suspect what Phelan has brought is the ability to identify weaknesses in the opposition''s play and how to exploit them - something that was very noticable when Lambert was here

"Adams makes a change and we score 5 goals.......... "

oh come on, bringing Redmond on at half time vs 10 man Huddersfield is hardly a managerial masterstroke.....in truth he could/should have done it after 20 minutes.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]"Adams makes a change and we score 5 goals.......... "

oh come on, bringing Redmond on at half time vs 10 man Huddersfield is hardly a managerial masterstroke.....in truth he could/should have done it after 20 minutes.[/quote]I know, I mean, my God, how lucky was that?He made changes and won the game.Literally, even you, could have done that.

as I said ,it will hardly be the toughest problem Adams will ever have to make in his managerial career.

If he wasn''t able to work out what to do to beat their 10 man team with over 70 minutes left, then we''re in real trouble.

26000 people.....except apparantly you, were able to see it.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]as I said ,it will hardly be the toughest problem Adams will ever have to make in his managerial career.

If he wasn''t able to work out what to do to beat their 10 man team with over 70 minutes left, then we''re in real trouble.

26000 people.....except apparantly you, were able to see it.[/quote]I am trying to reform myself from calling people bell-ends.Thats all I''ll say.[:D]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]do whatever you feel is right and don''t bow to peer pressure

if thats your default vocabulary, go for it.[/quote]Don''t be another victim looking for it, we have plenty already.[:)]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]victim?....i think i''ll sleep easily enough[/quote]Look fella, I''ll put this into simple terms.Implying a football manager was wrong, then going on to imply that 26,000 other people share your view, so anyone who disagrees is clearly wrong?Really?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]what is quite blatantly wrong is for people to be making out that the blindingly obvious substitution of Redmond at half time vs a 10 man Huddersfield was some kind of tactical masterstroke?[/quote]Get over yourself.

We should take this back to the root cause.Who said it was a tactical masterstroke?Did you apply for the managers job and didn''t get it?What makes you so annoyed about the fact we won?Did you previously want Adams out, and now just can''t bear to give him any credit?

well it was Vanwink who wrote

"Spot on Highland, maybe you should have said 18 months ago. The problem I have is that posters who continued to support the failing CH to the very end despite what was unfolding before their eyes, are now having a go at a manager, who may well have got many things wrong, but who is changing, adapting, learning and working hard to get things right, something Hughton singularly failed to do. I never saw that man change a game, Adams makes a change and we score 5 goals.......... "

....and I was referring to the last line of this post.

but then you decided to take it upon yourself to pick up this particular crusade.

as for "not previously wanting Adams".....no I didnt previously, now, or in the future, and I dont think I''ve made any secret od that inf what in my opinion is one of the worst decisions this club has made in its 112 year history.

[quote user="morty"]Worst decision in 112 years?Really lol?[/quote]
I think that award goes to whoever decided to appoint Bryan Gunn...  
As for the Redmond substitution, most people were calling for it the moment the sending off happened.  Adams deserves credit for actually making the change - even if it was the obvious one.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]Worst decision in 112 years?Really lol?[/quote]
I think that award goes to whoever decided to appoint Bryan Gunn...  
As for the Redmond substitution, most people were calling for it the moment the sending off happened.  Adams deserves credit for actually making the change - even if it was the obvious one.
[/quote]Completely agree.But anyone somehow claiming he made the decision in spite of fans wanting it, is just daft, and clearly looking for a stick. Despite our team winning. Like you say, he made the decision, what more is there to question? Unless you are some kind of agenda laden moron who just wants him to fail.I wonder why some people bother going to football, and what they get out of it exactly, I really do.