Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

Is RVW worth it

Having just watched Manure get well beaten by a very average Greek team I am inclined to say "yes he is", especially when compared to Ashley Young - who cost nearly as much as RVP.

If we can stay up and attract a good number 10 to feed the Wolf then I think RVW can start to deliver for us next season.

As early as the Southampton game Redmond was guilty of shooting rather than passing to RVW - who had pulled off his marker and was well placed for a shot. I think that Whittaker did the same, so what''s the problem? Don''t they trust RVW to be there or something?

The main concern for me was that point when he had only one man to beat & was clean through on goal. He looked so slow & cumbersome - hardly like a professional player at all.

But I sincerely believe that is an aberration & just shows the hugely disproportionate effect confidence has on player performance. There is no way he could have performed so well for his previous teams if he was genuinely as bad as he appeared to be at that moment.

He needs to get through the rest of this season, reflect, regroup & do some gym work over the summer, then I reckon we''ll see a different player.

Come on Ricky! Prove the doubters wrong!

I think he was too slow to decide what to do and ended up looking cumbersome, I put that down to confidence.or lack of it. Confident players make instant decisions and act, if he had a few more goals and a few more games under his belt he may have scored from there. Who knows but I like you Ron am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yes he is.All he needs is a goal off his rear or shoulder and we will see a different Wolfie. I say stick with him, he will come good. and yes im a fan of his !!!!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Before the match on Sunday I wrote:Redmond left, Snodgrass right - inverted wingers ..........RvW is on a

loser before he starts, as would be Hooper. ......... I hope I am wrong.

The performance of the team on Sunday was good but it must be a nightmare being a lone striker in that team.Both RvW and Hooper are strikers who benefit from balls being played into the box, especially balls pulled back from the goal line.With the inverted wingers the amount of space in the box is limited and gives the main striker little space to move into and gives the midfield little opportunity to play balls into the box.It also stops the midfield making telling runs into the box, which is the main reason for our very low number of goals scored from the midfield this season. A prime example of this was Tettey (who had a good game) whose shot from distance that went miles wide from far too far out. He had little alternative except to shoot as everything had closed up in front of him and there was no wide outlet available.RvW and/or Hooper will not score many goals in that formation and I cannot think of anybody who would.Jelavic''s goals came from good crosses into the box, something we are still short of.I thought both RvW and Hooper did well considering what was being asked of them.Sometimes players have to sacrifice their own game for the benefit of the team and on Sunday both RvW and Hooper did his. I feel that their manager would be happy with their contribution.[/quote]

Yup, what he said, sort of.

Some people blame it on the formation, some on the tactics. Some say he''s too slow, some he''s just unlucky, some he''s too lightweight and some say it''s just a matter of time.

Now I like the lad, I really do and I''d love him to score loads for us, but have you watched him, I mean really watched him? The simple fact of the matter is that the lad just can''t control a football. You think I''m kidding? Just watch the next match, watch how many times, when he receives a pass, he can actually control it and then pass to one of his own team, or even shoot. Go on, I dare ya.

It''s either that or he was so embarrassed by the awful rendition of ''''Ricky, Ricky, Ricky.....'''' etc to Karma Chameleon, when he scored on his debut that he has vowed never to do it again!!

I thought the Spurs game was our best performance since Stoke - where coincidentally RVW played up front by himself as well. 1 up front is our best system right now and for me RVW is the best equipped striker to play it rather than Hooper.

"RVW is the best equipped striker"?

Now that a lone striker is no longer judged on goals and assists, what makes for a ''best equipped striker''?

The views are split in to two camps. On the one hand, stream watching plastics who close their eyes, screw up ther faces and wish really, really hard that Wolfy will score another goal or even chip in with an assist. On the other, real fans who go to games and have seen with their own eyes, over and over again, how jaw-droppingly useless he is.

Unfortunately simpleton it appears many people (well some anyway) go to Carrow Road to watch the match and actually see very little.

I reckon he''ll come good. That panic attack he had trying to put that ball away early on against Spurs shows you everything you need to know about him at the moment.

A composed, confident striker would have just let that ball drop over his head before knocking it in. Like a lot have been saying, he just needs that one goal and we''ll see a different player.

Of course, with the amount of money spent on him, and the number of Norwich shirts with his name emblazoned on the back, there will still be numerous fans in denial.

He can run the channels as much as he likes, and if he was assisting free-scoring midfielders then all well and good.........but four attempts on target in eighteen matches is it?

Not exactly up there with the likes of Jelavic, Bony etc........

Do you really need to ask the question?

Not gonna judge until he''s had at least a season and a half but it''s obvious he has no confidence atm and is desperate to score because he''s always snatching at chances and trying to do too much on the ball. From what I saw of him at Sporting and have seen so far he''ll always be a striker that looks awesome half the time and absolute rubbish the rest of the time throughout a game...a bit like Holt was!

A season and a half?! Afraid you won''t get that. As our biggest ever dud, we''ll be cutting our losses in the summer and shipping him back to some no mark Dutch club. I''m going to go for Heerenveen.

You have to wonder if Simple Jack has ever even watched a game of football in his life.

And since he''s probably an Ipswoch fan the answer is almost certainly no, he has not.

There is a very long list of quality foreign strikers who have failed in this league for their first season or maybe longer which is why I''m giving him at least until half way through next season. I''m no expert but it''s very obvious to me it''s a mentality problem combined with him not being up to speed with the pace and physicality of this league yet.

He''s shown glimpses and has been denied by some exceptional saves, he also hit a brilliant 25 yarder on the post before he was injured if you remember. It''s not his ability, his problems are all very solvable and he will come good, I''m certain!

I feel that circumstances contrived to really mess up his introduction and integration into our team and indeed the English league.

A difficult transition was interrupted by a lengthy lay-off and by the time he was able to resume, his confidence was on such a downward spiral. This has continued to the point where his head is all over the place if he finds himself in possession of the slightest chance. I think he can and will eventually work through this trough but the question is, does our current situation allow us (him) the time to get established? On the subject of the ease with which he is muscled off the ball, we have to realise what his strengths are that we are waiting to see and accept that out-muscling is not one of them.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]If sporting offered to take him back for £8 million, would you take the money or chance it that he will improve?

Personally if we stay up id like him here next season.[/quote]I would take the money and run at the moment. Here''s hoping he has a storming end to the season.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="lincoln canary"]If sporting offered to take him back for £8 million, would you take the money or chance it that he will improve?

Personally if we stay up id like him here next season.[/quote]I would take the money and run at the moment. Here''s hoping he has a storming end to the season.[/quote]

Issues of lack of service to Dutch strikers in the Premiership at the moment:

RVP (not W)

"In the wake of their Champions League defeat at Olympiakos, Van Persie, 30, has criticised his Manchester United team-mates for a lack of service as it is revealed goalkeeper David De Gea played the most passes to the Dutchman."

A few of our fans are so blinkered...if only Ruddy could pass better with his kicking! (Think I''ve exposed myself there to someone)