Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Hughton to ROI; O'Neill to Norwich

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Dicky"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

I think to criticise his time at Villa is harsh. He had them right up there before being shafted by the chairman. Look how far Villa have fallen since then.  

But his time at Sunderland has damaged his stock, however you could argue without this failure we''d never have stood a chance of getting him anyway. O''Neil has been a success at every club he has been at bar Sunderland. Surely the chances are that this was a one off?

I''m not sure. I''m keen on the idea of Poyet.

[/quote]

So Lincoln - why Poyet? What do you know about him? I know quite a lot about him living in Brighton, so would totally disagree.[/quote]

I like him. He has charisma and sets his side up to play good passing football. Similar to the Swansea style. He''s been successful everywhere he has been. Sure it all went a bit pear shaped in the end at Brighton, but look where he took them from.

[/quote]

Are you for real? You say that you like him - what do you know about him? By all accounts, he is not likeable. He''s been successful everywhere he''s been? Are you sure? And as to where he took Brighton from - to where exactly. He let them down badly in the playoffs against Palace, their local rivals. My guess is that you know very little about him and are therefore talking pants.

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Dicky"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

I think to criticise his time at Villa is harsh. He had them right up there before being shafted by the chairman. Look how far Villa have fallen since then.  

But his time at Sunderland has damaged his stock, however you could argue without this failure we''d never have stood a chance of getting him anyway. O''Neil has been a success at every club he has been at bar Sunderland. Surely the chances are that this was a one off?

I''m not sure. I''m keen on the idea of Poyet.

[/quote]

So Lincoln - why Poyet? What do you know about him? I know quite a lot about him living in Brighton, so would totally disagree.[/quote]

I like him. He has charisma and sets his side up to play good passing football. Similar to the Swansea style. He''s been successful everywhere he has been. Sure it all went a bit pear shaped in the end at Brighton, but look where he took them from.

[/quote]

Are you for real? You say that you like him - what do you know about him? By all accounts, he is not likeable. He''s been successful everywhere he''s been? Are you sure? And as to where he took Brighton from - to where exactly. He let them down badly in the playoffs against Palace, their local rivals. My guess is that you know very little about him and are therefore talking pants.[/quote]

How about the depths of league one to championship playoffs? Not too shabby eh?

O''Neil''s time at Villa was great if you don''t account for his lavish spending, which, I believe, had them as 5th highest spenders in the league at one point, and crippled the club financially.

It''s taken them until Lambert - who, in truth, is still working to a tight budget - to be able to start spending money again.

"paul moy""Joanna Grey"

Herman wrote the following post at 25/09/2013 6:56 AM:

"Holloway,like Warnock,are fantastic championship managers. That is their limit."

That''s why the League One level members on here would like him. As long as it''s "entertaining", eh?

So Hughton''s drab, defensive morale-sapping, no-scoring, insipid style will keep us up ?  If I thought it would I might accept it, but it will not. 

I didn''t mention Hughton. I was giving my opinion on the limitations of certain managers.

As to O''Neil. If we did lose Hughton I''d rather we went for someone on the up.

I would like to see MON at CR again. It was not so long ago he was being muted for the very top jobs. Given that we are unlikely to persuade Mourinho or Guardiola, he would seem a reasonable option. He has something to prove after Sunderland. Sometimes it''s a matter of fit. Proud of how the team kept going last night. Hooper is just what we need. We have good players but need new management. OTBC

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]How much impact did it have at Sunderland that John Robertson wasn''t alongside him (with Steve Walford)

The thought about him coming back reminds me a bit about when Mike Walker came back with a great tide of euphoria and it never really happened for him.

Is anybody still on the board from when O''Neill left last time?[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 2013-09-25 4:27 PM:

yes.. lets appoint a manager who walked out on us on the day of a match against the team he later went on to manage....

Yes Jas, and exactly why did he do that? Because of Robert Chase, you know, the chairman who stated if Chris Sutton left, he would too - and then promptly sold him! He had NO ambition, and O''Neill did.

Well it looks like O''Neill will not be getting the republic job , 1/14 last week his odds have dropped to almost even money now , Mick McCarthy is dropping and now 2/1 , Hughton around 20/1.

There appears to be some sort of masturbatory zeal over getting the manager out. The more it is repeated, the more exciting and desperate it becomes. There is a huge element of self-fulfilling prophecy about this, despite absolutely no evidence that changing compwetent manager''s makes any difference to the mean position of a club.We are about the 15th best team in England and look capable of sustaining a position around there for some time. This represents enormous success.Hughton and his team can certainly identify a good player and commands the respect to attract them to the club. He is one of the few Black managers to be given a chance and has demonstrated an excellent ability to get players in. In the modern game Messianic inspiration is a fallacy, better to be capable and improve day-by-day in a prosaic way.None of this sits well with the instant Twitter culture of "must have action", "must have it this second"...this very quickly becomes any action, and once the ephemeral orgasm of action staisfaction has passed, the cycle repeats. Is this how any of you would run a business?

I was at Norwich when O''Neil was in charge. He

would turn up to training at 11:50, watch with Walford for 10 minutes

then leave. He would deliberately remain aloof and evasive, conjuring a

mystique and creating a force of personality image.It would be

my view that he modelled himself on Clough and endeavoured to replicate

the quixotic, erratic unconvential methods that he had seen /

interpreted from this experience. There is certainly a messianic element

to this approach, though your followers need to be willing and -

perhaps - unquestioning.Some elements of this are successful,

they are clearly influential [Lambert]. In the modern world though,

verybody has access to all information. Mystique and magic are not easy

to cultivate. Players are no longer [necessarily] in thrall to the

manager''s position. As we have discussed elsewhere the German model of

stripping away superficial confidence and replacing in with drilled,

repeated technical proficiency that leads to a deep-rooted knowledge

that you can do what you are asked to do, is not the same as confidence or belief that you can do something. If it were so easy every team would win every week, wouldn''t they.Clough

did indeed know some of this, his quote is [sic] " I take away their

false confidence and give them real confidence". He may have been able

to. The empirical evidence indicates that retaining capable

managwers for a long period ingrains repeated methods and formulates a

distinctive approach that becomes second nature and de-facto creates

confidence [you are being asked to do what you know you can do before

you''ve done it so often before]. Hughton is a manager, not a

messiah.  Given that we are faced with a period of prosaic club growth

[floating between 9th and 17th], a repeatable strategy of management

over the long term is a sensible approach. Handing Hughton £25m would

indicate that this is the Board''s intention too. The stats show that

changing manager has a very temporary [at best] effect, before clubs

revert to the mean.

Parma Ham''s gone mouldy :

None of this sits well with the instant Twitter culture of "must have action", "must have it this second"...this very quickly becomes any action, and once the ephemeral orgasm of action staisfaction has passed, the cycle repeats. Is this how any of you would run a business?

Absolutely. And the root of many problems.

The phenomenal acceleration in our technology has lead to an increasing disconnect between physical reality & our behaviour. It is bringing about the infantilisation of the population. Which is nowhere better demonstrated than by the behaviour of some of us here (exemplified by one particular elderly(?) gentleman(?) who has apparently attained advanced years while retaining all the childish traits of a 5 year old).

If push came to shove and needed a new manager this season, O''neill would be one of the better options that are currently available. But that ain''t going to happen, it''s only 5 games into the season for crying out loud