Sign in to follow this  
Houston Canary

Southampton game thread

Should we be worried - this is yet another game where the Sky commentators have criticised RVWW for his work rate.I don''t get to go to games much any more, so would appreciate a view from the terraces

[quote user="Scot-e-dog"]Should we be worried - this is yet another game where the Sky commentators have criticised RVWW for his work rate.I don''t get to go to games much any more, so would appreciate a view from the terraces[/quote]

RVW is a poacher and a finisher. He''s not paid to run around the pitch like a headless chicken hunting for the ball, Holt tried that all last season and only managed 8 goals. This is all about service to the strikers again, if RVW is not involved it''s because we''re not breaking with pace or playing the right balls forward to him. FFS did we not watch the video on Youtube of all the goals he scored for Sporting before putting the cash down?!?!?

Not sure who the NBC commentators are. It''s a baritone and a Scotsman. RvW only mentioned a couple of times. Both positive. He looks lethal every time he gets the ball.

Not worried about RVWs work rate. He is clearly a natural goal scorer we just need to get it to him in the right areas.

As much as I loved Holt and his work rate, used to be so frustrating seeing him battling all over the place but then had no one in the box

Our delivery again was a problem. Johnson and Turner seemed to have a bit problem again with the ball, but both did well on defending and Johnson started one or two attacks with well timed tackle.

Elmander did look a bit slow for the first half and Wolf was fighting more for the balls than "Swedish Holt".

Fer Snoddy and Whittaker all looked good. Same as Redmond, but he still could be a bit more useful for defence and pass better, but what a dribble that was and almost scored.

Bassong wasn''t at his best, but did decent job. Same goes for Garrido who made again good effort for attacking third, but struggled a bit in defence as Redmond didnt help him much.

Ruddy was again exellent with crossing balls.

Southampton was closer to score and had clearer penalty situation, but I think we bossed most of first half.

A bit too much long balls for my taste. I dont like when we open long from free kick after offside and goal kicks if we have chance to play it short. Also Johnson and Fer had to use a bit too much legs in my opinion. They switched sides all the time contributed for attacks while our strikers stood quite much still. Elmander should drop a bit more down or our midfield will run out of gas after 65-75 minutes. Also we dont always have to play it over defence... Wolf is good chasing ground balls so if someone could deliver those for him. Few times I cursed that Snoddy wasnt behind the ball or Hoolahan on field when we got those 3 against 4 attacks and RvW made a good run behind back 4. Just slide it in..

So much better today than last week my god. It''s a different side from that Hull match. I''m still looking forward to seeing Hooper and what he can do, I fear we aren''t going to do anything but frustrate RVW. He doesn''t seem to be allowed to be involved much, and we are screaming out for that link up AM/SS player!

rvw looks fine to me - great movement but elmanders not linking up well with him and our final ball remains poor.

loving leroy fer - showing us what a true prem midfielder can do, attacking threat and defensively solid too.

Snodgrass not producing the goods....get Redmond on the right whipping the ball in and Pilks on the left with the option of going on the in or outside of the full back. Southampton have two very young fullbacks, lets try and exploit them as much as possible. Good news is Fer looks AMAZING!