Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Who makes way for Fer?

the star central midfielder today was tettey - looked strong and seemed to win the ball as often in his time on the pitch as wes, howson and bj combined the whole match. His passing, one slice into the stands excepted was generally sound and no less adventurous than howson or BJ.

I for one wont be sad to see the ineffective wes, howson, bj triangle broken up. The only incisive pass from midfield today came from Javier Garrido.

For what its worth I agree with Ginger P, howson was back to his worst of last seasons efforts, lost in deep midfield as the ball was moved around him and his passing dire. Up front with RvW he offered less than Wes did.

for all the moaning about wes he at least had drive and enthusiasm, winning the ball back but simply not getting the ball in dangerous positions - often he was deeper than howson or BJ, which is a waste of his talents. Unlike Howson, and to a lesser extent BJ, he was able to pass to a yellow short more often than not - including the cross field pass for the opener.

I think he has been unreasonably criticised today - not the worst central midfielder on a day when our passing from centre mid was actually worse than last season. It has to improve.

Tettey & Fer next week with only one of the other - my preference is wes - tettey the anchor, fer the engine and wes advanced.

If the centre mid can pass the ball to our attackers we are dangerous - that did not happen today.

On today''s showing I would play Tettey alongside Fer with Howson as the central AM.

Saying that I''m fairly sure that we will have a new recruit signed up for the SS/AM role soon.

Still saddens me to see how few people rate Hoolahan. Yeah, he didn''t have his best game today, but he''s still too important to drop as he''s the only player we have able to link up the midfield and the striker. Howson looked no better in a more advanced role than Wes and his passing was atrocious (63% accuracy, worse than Johnson and Hoolahan). Drop Howson, Johnson/Tettey and Fer behind Hoolahan. 

On today''s showing I would play Tettey alongside Fer with Howson as the central AM.

Saying that I''m fairly sure that we will have a new recruit signed up for the SS/AM role soon.

---------------------------------------------------------

have to agree with the first part of that, I feel like the final two signings (if we even make two more) will be a centre back and a CF (any truth in Johan?)

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lincoln canary"]BJ. Anyone who thinks different is delusional.[/quote]Well that''s most of us then because quite obviously it will be Wes who drops out.[/quote]

Lol. Wake up and remember our recent history. Wes is the heartbeat of everything good. I feel for the guy though, anything other than exceptional and his blasted. Yet BJ, he''s world class, lol.[/quote]Nobody thinks more of Wes than me mate. How many times have I said no Wes no points? However the style we are now playing is not suited to his talents and we now have better options. If Fer is picked next week we won''t see Wes.

When on form Wes is great and l would have him in the team every time, but after today and the watching the last friendly Howson is on better form, Fer has to come in and we must have a holding midfielder so Bradley or Tettey must play.

Wes will find his form and we will be stronger for it! We sre a team and we will need all of our players to make it our most memorable yet!

Snake

Wes I''m afraid.

Very innefective today, gave the ball away far too often. Fer played in behind the striker very well for part of the final friendly, suspect he will play a bit deeper next week though.

[quote user="lincoln canary. BJ. Anyone who thinks different is delusional. quote]

The only delusional person appears to be you.

I would have to say Howson. As someone said, "Good Johnny" doesn''t turn up too often, whereas Wes makes us tick. Yes he tries too much sometimes but I didn''t hear anyone berating Redmond for doing the same.

I''d go with BJ for steel, holding. Fer, "box to box" and Wes in front for creativity. Maybe Hooper for Wes if that is seen to work.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry. Still saddens me to see how few people rate Hoolahan. Yeah, he didn''t have his best game today, but he''s still too important to drop as he''s the only player we have able to link up the midfield and the striker. Howson looked no better in a more advanced role than Wes and his passing was atrocious (63% accuracy, worse than Johnson and Hoolahan). Drop Howson, Johnson/Tettey and Fer behind Hoolahan.  quote]

Well said.

[quote user="Canarygirl"]Wes I''m afraid.

Very innefective today, gave the ball away far too often. Fer played in behind the striker very well for part of the final friendly, suspect he will play a bit deeper next week though.[/quote]
Compared to who? His passing accuracy was far superior to just about every attacking player Norwich had and he was only dispossesed 3  times (only once more than Johnson and Howson). The biggest problem was how little of the ball he saw. He got 32 touches today. That''s only 4 more that Turner FFS! Wes looked ineffective because of the atrocious passing of Howson and Johnson(63% and 68% accuracy respectively)meant that he was hardly involved! . Massive improvement is needed from both of them if they expect to start above Fer and Tettey, who would get Wes involved more.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Canarygirl"]Wes I''m afraid.

Very innefective today, gave the ball away far too often. Fer played in behind the striker very well for part of the final friendly, suspect he will play a bit deeper next week though.[/quote]
Compared to who? His passing accuracy was far superior to just about every attacking player Norwich had and he was only dispossesed 3  times (only once more than Johnson and Howson). The biggest problem was how little of the ball he saw. He got 32 touches today. That''s only 4 more that Turner FFS! Wes looked ineffective because of the atrocious passing of Howson and Johnson(63% and 68% accuracy respectively)meant that he was hardly involved! . Massive improvement is needed from both of them if they expect to start above Fer and Tettey, who would get Wes involved more.
[/quote]

Its the same story as last season - and why we have to improve these areas of the team.    At one point Redmond did a superb job keeping the ball on the wing,  beating a couple of players in an incredibly tight situation and passed it to Johnson, who under no apparent pressure, just passed it straight to an opponent.   Its frustrating to see this kind of thing.  Yes it can happen any time to any player, but when you have two or three players doing it more than once or twice each in a match, it mounts up to a lot of wasted possession.   Howson was trying to create more - and his passing was usually done under more pressure, hence more displaced passes.     Wes was guilty too.   

Fer will improve things and whoever is picked along side him will look better as a result.  On today''s performance it would for me be Johnson that misses out.  

it will be Wes, the subsitution today was spot on. Tettey is a ball carrier and we looked much better in the middle.Sadly Wes will be used less and less in the future... next summer could be a final farewell

I''d like to see a trio of Fer, Tettey and Howson. Tettey excelled today at closing down the space on the edge of the box, something we lacked before he came on and played a part in both goals.

With Tettey holding, its a case of who to pivot with Fer who obviously likes to get forward, I think Howson would work better than Wes for the style of play but if Hooper is fit whose to say it won''t be Ricky/Hooper there as the AM/SS, certainly be good to get them both on the pitch and scoring.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Howson was trying to create more - and his passing was usually done under more pressure, hence more displaced passes.  Wes was guilty too.[/quote]
I disagree LDC. Johnson attempted more ambitious long passes than Howson (6 compared too 4) and more passes in general (40 compared to 27). Despite having more opportunities to mess it up (after all, every pass you attempt is a potential mistake) Johnson still had a better pass accuracy than Howson and statistically and anecdotally (i.e. from my view of the game)It seemed that Johnson and Howson were put under a similar amount of pressure. It''s unacceptable from Howson. If you pass less, at least be as accurate as possible. 

Hoolahan was best of our starting middlefield trio. Only reason he "had a bad day" was that he had to drop down to get the ball from the feet of or two other middlefielders who couldnt find a way trought Everton''s pressing. All the minor chances came trough to him. Clever passes behind fullbacks and getting us trought that first press. Cant really say he was in worst 5 of our players today. Lost ball few times, but so did praised Redmond and imo both had good game. Not that any of our players would have done abysmaly wrong

Then to added that that we dont have really other playmaker I would strongly advice us keeping him on the field.

Johnson was worse from our todays middlefield and Tettey was inspiring when he got on the field. Also cant see us playing Howson - Hoolahan - Fer at same time so hopefuly in next game we see Tettey - Hoolahan - Fer. Both Fer and Tettey are players that can play many roles and both of them have played in pure holding role before, so it really isnt that hard to fit them behind Hoolahan. Fer could take the holding role, but he offers so much more forward than Tettey so would be waste to use him there.

Ofc if we sign new 10 in next week, mayby we can see him on the field.

Oh yeah and for those who want Hooper for 10 spot, if we struggle to make play with 3 middlefielders, imagine only two on the field. Hooper isnt creative player.

I watched Johnson very very closely today because the negativity that gets thrown his way is just plain silly.

He didn''t have the best of games, but if you think he as the worst in midfield, or can''t see why he''s actually a very useful player then I suggest you actually try watching all of his contributions including his positioning and movement, blocks in the box etc rather than the odd miss placed passes,also only counted 5 plus a couple of aimless clearances.

Don''t think I''m going to bother posting about Johnson, or at least not bother getting into discussions about him, as some people are just so anti-Johnson it''s unreal. I''m more than willing to admit his bad points, but some seem to completely ignore anything positive he does and only notice a few misplaced passes.

I think its pretty obvious that some people have their favourites, and cannot view performances objectively.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Works the opposite way as well Morty, some people have players they don''t rate and cannot view objectively.[/quote]Less than two minutes, well done[Y]

[quote user="Lavanche"]Hoolahan was best of our starting middlefield trio. Only reason he "had a bad day" was that he had to drop down to get the ball from the feet of or two other middlefielders who couldnt find a way trought Everton''s pressing. All the minor chances came trough to him. Clever passes behind fullbacks and getting us trought that first press. Cant really say he was in worst 5 of our players today. Lost ball few times, but so did praised Redmond and imo both had good game. Not that any of our players would have done abysmaly wrong

Then to added that that we dont have really other playmaker I would strongly advice us keeping him on the field.

Johnson was worse from our todays middlefield and Tettey was inspiring when he got on the field. Also cant see us playing Howson - Hoolahan - Fer at same time so hopefuly in next game we see Tettey - Hoolahan - Fer. Both Fer and Tettey are players that can play many roles and both of them have played in pure holding role before, so it really isnt that hard to fit them behind Hoolahan. Fer could take the holding role, but he offers so much more forward than Tettey so would be waste to use him there.

Ofc if we sign new 10 in next week, mayby we can see him on the field.[/quote]Were you watching from the toilet? Wes was very poor today, he looked very lightweight and was easily knocked off the ball. Yes he had a couple of good touches here and there, winning a free kick from Afro-Samurai, but they were few and far between. When Tetty came on he looked really good for a summers rest. Strong and physical, keen to get stuck in to the opposition, hard to knock off the ball. Howson looked much better playing in the hole behind RVW. Bradley is, and I suspect will remain, one of Hughton''s first names on the team sheet, so I imagine it''ll be him, Fer and Tetty to start next week against AFC Hull City Orange Sox, with Wes and Johnny on the bench. Even if we sign a new No.10 by then, Hughton''s past history with new players is that he likes to give them time to bed into the squad and understand the tactics he wants to employ before even naming them amongst the subs.I will say however that I''m sure Wes, Howson, Tetty Fer and BJ will all have an important part to play in this season no matter if we sign a No.10 or not. And isn''t it wonderful the strength in depth this squad now has?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well done with what? Why are you taking that attitude with me? What have I done to offend you?[/quote]Oh get over yourself lol, the post wasn''t aimed at you, it was a general statement that some people here have very set ideas about certain players regardless of the players actual performance on any given day.