Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

REMINISCING THE 70'S 80'S 90'S ETC

With all the talk of safe standing areas, has any one got any fond memories from back in the day, when trouble was rife, etc etc, i can remember one of my earlier years when my dad took me and my brother, we both had to share a crate to stand on, and my brother face could be seen on the front of the magazine ''Shoot or Match'' think it was called vs West Ham!!

Remember as a young''un standing on a fishing stool in the South Stand with my Father,probably not the best thing to stand on,forever falling off.Being next the the away pen in the 70s when Chelsea and Sunderland vistited,not so friendly back then,.As a teenager getting off the train and trying to get up Prince Of Wales road to the city centre pubs without being jumped by the away fans,taxi called into play a couple of times.Moving from the Barclay to the River End early 80s and paying on the day,the great open air toilets at the Barclay End,loads of memories

Used to "stand" on South Stand terraces, then the River End, on a fold up stool (with me mum) before eventualy graduating via the family terrace in front of south Stand to the middle pen of the Barclay. 

My "fondest" memory of when trouble was rife?  As a 10 year old being mugged of the scarves on my wrists whilst walking to the ground pre-ManUre by two of their fans (the infamous Barclay End riot match), then on way home being challenged by a group of 6/7 of these teenager ManUre fans, until my mum kicked one of them in the balls and they ran off. 

Other than that the smell of piss and the warm, wet feeling you occassionally suffered down the back of your leg, as sharpened 2p pieces and darts flew overhead are all really great memories!

Great times ...................................

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Used to "stand" on South Stand terraces, then the River End, on a fold up stool (with me mum) before eventualy graduating via the family terrace in front of south Stand to the middle pen of the Barclay. 

My "fondest" memory of when trouble was rife?  As a 10 year old being mugged of the scarves on my wrists whilst walking to the ground pre-ManUre by two of their fans (the infamous Barclay End riot match), then on way home being challenged by a group of 6/7 of these teenager ManUre fans, until my mum kicked one of them in the balls and they ran off. 

Other than that the smell of piss and the warm, wet feeling you occassionally suffered down the back of your leg, as sharpened 2p pieces and darts flew overhead are all really great memories!

Great times ...................................

[/quote]Luxury, b*oody luxury.......Back in my day we were so poor we could only afford old pennies not like you rich b*stards in the 70''s....240 to the £ and we still had to ration them to last a whole season !! [;)]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="marvin the martian"]Why would anyone have fond memories of "when trouble was rife " ?[/quote]
''Cos he''s well ''ard, innit.
[/quote]

And you two are a couple of c**ks

I really don''t understand how these are "the good ol'' days"?

because you weren''t there. maybe

sure there was trouble but it was almost always between ''like minded souls'', it was easily affordable, no crap about tickets or petty regulations

the terrace singing was a joy to behold as was when on very rare occassions you would here On The Ball City ringing round the whole ground

happy clappers were non existent, it was pretty much solid football fans

much like seeing a punk gig at the Hope and Anchor compared to the latest X Factor halfwit at the Theatre Royal

very happy lad for living through it - even having a few excited Stoke fans ''assisting'' me to the station in the mid 70''s

"much like seeing a punk gig at the Hope and Anchor compared to the latest X Factor halfwit at the Theatre Royal"

Damn right ha ha!

I do have to admit that there should be more noise in Carrow Road. Especially more singing of OTBC and not in the bleated, rushed out version. Oh and goal music too, makes me feel sick watching the usual drones jumping up and down to the sounds of "NA NA NA NA NANA"

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="marvin the martian"]Why would anyone have fond memories of "when trouble was rife " ?[/quote]''Cos he''s well ''ard, innit.[/quote]

And you two are a couple of c**ks

[/quote]Another witty reposte.  You, sir, have me well and truly beaten.  I doff my cap to you.

I really don''t understand how these are "the good ol'' days"?
Because of the Excitement, The atmosphere... It wasn''t like going to a theme park like it is now, some days it was almost like going to war (Not to do anyone a dis-service there!) but it really could have you on edge, a trip to Millwall was something you would really have second thoughts over but at the same time be full of excitement about.
Alot of the time you were truly stepping into the unknown, at least as young lads that''s how it was for us, it was a way of seeing the country as you didn''t have all the resources available now.  Going up North was like travelling to a different country for us, call it ignorance maybe, but that was just how things were.
On top of that, the people you would meet up with would be full of their talks of firms etc. and although to start with you would question it, it does get into your head and make you feel a sense of safety, not only that but proud of who you are, where you came from etc.
But most importantly, that feeling that you were going up as a unit was something that can''t be repeated now, it used to be the greatest feeling in the world meeting up in a stadium and seeing all the regular faces there giving the opposition grief.
Sadly, it''s human nature to be attracted to this way of living, we need an element of survival for us to function correctly i beleive.
It''s why so many people now suffer from Anxieties and Stresses etc. their Fight or Flight mechanism kicks in over non-threatening situations and once taken out of context it''s hard to comprehend the sensation, and so begins the spiral.  It was all-consuming come the weekend, a way of life almost.

"a trip to Millwall was something you would really have second thoughts over"

or hindsight

Ended up in Greenwich hospital in ''75, nothing too serious, got back to Norwich on the train, hitched back home and manged to catch last knockings at the local. Pubs were packed then as well. Even turned out for football the following afternoon.

No such thing as ''ishooooooos'', there were problems but you got on with it. 1980''s was better as the trouble had calmed down quite a bit then. The old bill had wised up and it was mostly posturing and shouting the odds.  Went to games to watch City, but as said above there was quite an edge to away games, even home games when fans were kept seperated (and better for it).I never went looking for trouble, but at many away games you had to look out for yourself and give as good as you got.

It is too sanitised now. Many of those I sit near haven''t a clue about the game, never played it and any comment will be some vacuous cliche picked up off the TV. Also none of the absurd media hype there is now.

To have sat on a football coach on the way home from an away game when everyone was ratarsed, when the whole bus was singing, with scarves trailing out of the window and piling into some startled pub on the way back is to have lived. We left some bloke behind after one game, apparently he stayed the night, hitched home sunday and got back in time for a few sunday evening.

happy days

I have experienced the best and worst of the last 45 years football supporting. I enjoyed some aspects of the past but don''t hanker for it to return. They weren''t better days, just different days. And like the summers of our childhood we can look back and remember the sunny days. My Grandson now has my place in the Barclay whilst I''m out to grass with the Blanket Dodgers. I would''t wish the 70s/80s back for him. He is no less a fan for being part of the sanitised era. And I seriously wouldn''t want to be under my blanket watching the game with half an eye on the darts and coins flying around the Barclay hoping he''s ok.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I have experienced the best and worst of the last 45 years football supporting. I enjoyed some aspects of the past but don''t hanker for it to return. They weren''t better days, just different days. And like the summers of our childhood we can look back and remember the sunny days. My Grandson now has my place in the Barclay whilst I''m out to grass with the Blanket Dodgers. I would''t wish the 70s/80s back for him. He is no less a fan for being part of the sanitised era. And I seriously wouldn''t want to be under my blanket watching the game with half an eye on the darts and coins flying around the Barclay hoping he''s ok.

Think I tend to agree with you Nutty.

Hooliganism knew no boundaries back then and you were as likely to get set upon if you were our age as you were if you were in your teens/20''s. In all the years we''ve been watching the Canaries we''ve both seen some shocking things. I particularly remember one incident in our first year in Div 1. For once that season we''d beaten a team, West Brom, comfortably. It was very unwise to wear away colours in those days but a young West Brom fan who did and was there with his girlfriend was set upon by a mob on the railway bridge over Carrow Rd. He escaped with cuts and bruises but I can still remember his girlfriend screaming for them to stop. Thankfully that would be a very rare incident today. 

Football, particularly in the Premier League is perhaps a little over sanitised unlike the lower Leagues where it''s still a little more '' earthy '' but on balance it must be better to be able to attend a match without having to constantly worry if trouble is looming.

Thankfully even the trouble today is sanitised. '' Firms ''  if looking for '' action ''  seem to casually make their arrangements matter-of-factly, over mobiles, but even this organised forward planning often seems to end up a damp squib.

Somehow these days those cosy blankets seem much more appealing.....

[/quote]

Can I go back to the 60''s ? Admittedly It was the late 60''s - being short in stature at the time, standing was a bit of a problem so my brother and I used to sit on the front rails of the Barclay, right in the corner, about where the snakepit is now, a bonus of sitting there was on the Sunday " Match of the Week " We could always see us when Ken Foggo took the corners.

I mostly miss the standing with  groups of your own mates that terracing allowed, I always feel segregated when seated and think this dissipation has affected the atmosphere more than the seating per se.I also miss the drinking whilst watching, smoking and a good sesh in La Rouen/ Murderers etc. before and after.Was there ever any trouble, I must have missed it.[:#]

The drinking whilst watching, is a real bug bear with me. It came about after Hillsborough and the Lord Taylor report, it was not even allowed in the Olympic football matches ! Since the Taylor report it''s been proved that, (unlike what was reported at the time) Drunken Liverpool supporters were not to blame.