Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Officials

OK I wasn''t there, but really, the officials looked out of control the more the match went on.   Linesmen looked too flag happy, referee didn''t have control and the players started to take advantage of him (not in the biblical sense [:S] ).  Comedy of errors - and that free kick  -  but wtf,  we scored  - and that point won really counts! [:)]

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Just a skip down the M6 from the Lakes isn''t it?[/quote]

I`m sure LDC would have made the effort to get there if he possibly could Mungo.  He is currently one of the most frequent posters on this board and speaks with immense authority. 

Immense authority, eh?? Gravitas and authority from many, many years of listing to association football on the radiogram. And to think that some of us ne''er do wells waste our time going to matches ...

Lake District - Liverpool ~ 50 miles or to put it another way considerably closer than Norwich to any Premiership ground (or, barring the scummers, any football league ground). Now THAT is what I call commitment to the Canary cause!

Well, that free kick....

Am i the only one who thinks that the defender kicks or stans on the heel of Morison''s standing leg, causing him to air-kick with the other foot?

And even if i''m wrong, that decision doesn''t nearly make up for all the injustice we''ve suffered over the years at the hands of those cheats!

LDC - you were right - the officials were hopeless. The ref continued not to let the game flow at any time. He would pick up everything, and more. At one time in the second half they had a free kick in a dangerous area - I think it took about 4 and a half minutes to actually take the free kick - it was farcical (sp) -wall too close, ball not in the right place, shirt pulling, bargeing, ball not in the right place again, linesman wanted a chat, ball still not in the right place, now the wall is too close again, Tetty ran out to block too soon, ball not in the right place, shirt pulling, etc. etc. etc. - I was losing the will to live by this time! (Luckily Baines put the kick over the bar).

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Just a skip down the M6 from the Lakes isn''t it?[/quote]Hi Mungo, what did you think of the game last Monday?I''ve asked you about it in two other threads but you must have missed them. You were there weren''t you as you are a most loyal and dedicated fan the club has?It was just plastics that didn''t turn up wasn''t it?

The ref was ridiculously fussy and gave a lot of fouls to Everton for what looked like 50/50 tussles. If one went our way for the free kick that led to the goal (I couldn''t tell you as it was over the other side) they shouldn''t complain cos it mostly went in their favour.

The one that really annoyed me was when he played advantage after Holt was taken out on the edge of the box close to where Pilks had nearly scored from - we had possession about 20 yards back so how anyone thinks that''s an advantage is beyond me.

ICF I don''t think the Everton fans would agree with you, or the commentators. There was a number of times the ''assistant'' commentator got quite upset about things we were doing, FKs we were winning or giving away, players moaning at the ref (mostly our players) our players pulling shirts in the box. Everton fans gave a few sarcastic cheers when they won a couple of FKs.

The referee wasn''t in control at all.

The Everton fans seemed to think the ref was against them a lot more than I thought he was in fairness, but he was very fussy both ways. There was one point during the Baines freekick-Tettey yellow card incident that both sets of fans were booing the ref at the same time for not just letting them get on with it.

And ICF - that incident was ridiculous. A central freekick 25 yards out or an "advantage" of passing it back to the left back who was out on the wing and 20 yards further back. Crazy. Equally poor was one goal kick the ref gave us which took one of the biggest deflections I''ve ever seen off one of our defenders (and we could all see that from the other end of the pitch).

We have had far worse.

But prefer to focus on our players strengths, and errors which outnumber the refs each game and influence the result more every match, any ref pointing is deflection tactics only Imo

The referee was poor but as a couple of people have already pointed out he was pretty even in his incompetence. There was a twenty minute period in the second half when the Everton fans were incensed by every decision he made.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Immense authority, eh?? Gravitas and authority from many, many years of listing to association football on the radiogram. And to think that some of us ne''er do wells waste our time going to matches ...[/quote]probably a slight inner problem ldc, go for a check up mate.as long as you''re not listing to that lot south of the border, who seem to be gravitasing into league 1, eh mungo.

probably a slight inner problem ldc, go for a check up mate.as long as you''re not listing to that lot south of the border, who seem to be gravitasing into league 1, eh mungo.

Such fun!  Harry had gravitas, if Harry spoke everyone listened. He was a strong believer in firm discipline, you know sometimes I used to think he almost looked forward to me being a little naughty. He used to say that the referee did his best and we should always focus on our own game, and that good and bad decisions even out over a season, unless you play at Old Trafford of course!

The incident with Tettey was absolutely bizarre. I don''t know how he honestly thought he was going to get away with charging down the free kick. He could only have been about 4 yards away when it struck him. So he could have no complaints with his card. Not a sensible move either when we were chasing the game and needed to get on with the game.

The free kick incident. It was a very light push and Morison basically just slipped over in the wet conditions. Fortunate? You have to say so. But we due one after some of the officiating at Villa where we had a penalty waved away and Herd wasn''t dismissed. Likewise Villa were on the end of a rough decision last week against Man City. These things do tend to even out.

If you look closely Morison gets his heel clipped only slightly, but enough to make him stumble. Yes it may be a soft free kick but those are the breaks.

[quote user="NWC"] At one time in the second half they had a free kick in a dangerous area - I think it took about 4 and a half minutes to actually take the free kick - it was farcical (sp) -wall too close, ball not in the right place, shirt pulling, bargeing, ball not in the right place again, linesman wanted a chat, ball still not in the right place, now the wall is too close again, Tetty ran out to block too soon, ball not in the right place, shirt pulling, etc. etc. etc. - I was losing the will to live by this time! (Luckily Baines put the kick over the bar).[/quote]

Agree with this! Thought that free kick which was at about 85 mins would end up to be the last kick of the game! Good job it wasn''t. Looked it from where we were standing btw... Should have shown this and Pilkington''s effort on MOTD!

Just on the Tettey yellow - is it a yellow card offence for coming within 10 yards of the freekick? Admittedly the ref had spent about 3 minutes sorting it all out but I''m not sure being overly eager to close down a freekick once is a yellow card offence is it? Bit harsh in my opinion. If you give a yellow for that, why was it any different to Pienaar deliberately "standing on" one of our freekicks earlier in the game to delay the taking of it?

The tettey one just reminded me of the 74 world cup where a zaire (?) player ran out at the whistle and kicked the ball away before it was taken. Tettey had encroached so far it probably did deserve a yellow but was just amusing - First Waz - what is the law here?