Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

Atmosphere tonight

I was at the game, don''t really get to go much cos I live in London, but the atmosphere was shocking and not what I remember from my 10 years as a Carrow Road season ticket holder. Then the Spurs goal went in and half the people around me in the Jarrold started celebrating. How do we get the home advantage of a good crowd if its £30 a game and half the home areas have away fans in them?

Not too surprised considering the cost of a ticket. I was watching online and the commentator was regularly criticising the home atmosphere while complimenting the Spurs fans

It''s a struggle to get an atmosphere going with 25k of our fans in the ground so was never going to be easy with only 12k.

[quote user="kdncfc"]It''s a struggle to get an atmosphere going with 25k of our fans in the ground so was never going to be easy with only 12k.[/quote]

When your sat... In Barclay... Block e ... Row I and only a dozen people with 12m radius... Who are being told to sit down every two minutes or they will be ejected... I''m not surprised the atmosphere was not up to your expected standard!! Maybe next time warn the fans your coming and they might turn up to support you for the night!!! Pathetic post!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]It''s a struggle to get an atmosphere going with 25k of our fans in the ground so was never going to be easy with only 12k.[/quote]

*16,465[/quote]Which included 3.5k spuds fans who were in fine voice for most of the night but went rather quiet after we scored.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]It''s a struggle to get an atmosphere going with 25k of our fans in the ground so was never going to be easy with only 12k.[/quote]

*16,465[/quote]Which included 3.5k spuds fans who were in fine voice for most of the night but went rather quiet after we scored.[/quote]Yeah, I enjoyed that lol.I sat in the City stand rather than my usual seat, and never again lol. Great view, but like a frigging morgue!

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]I was at the game, don''t really get to go much cos I live in London, but the atmosphere was shocking and not what I remember from my 10 years as a Carrow Road season ticket holder. Then the Spurs goal went in and half the people around me in the Jarrold started celebrating. How do we get the home advantage of a good crowd if its £30 a game and half the home areas have away fans in them?[/quote]

in the after glow of our win it is easy to forget the first half was an absolute bore from start to finish! Couple that with a sparse crowd and it was never going to be a great atmosphere

[quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]It''s a struggle to get an atmosphere going with 25k of our fans in the ground so was never going to be easy with only 12k.[/quote]

*16,465[/quote]Which included 3.5k spuds fans who were in fine voice for most of the night but went rather quiet after we scored.[/quote]Yeah, I enjoyed that lol.I sat in the City stand rather than my usual seat, and never again lol. Great view, but like a frigging morgue![/quote]I sat in the City stand for the Scunthorpe game so I know where you''re coming from although the Barclay wasn''t much better until we equalised tonight and then they finally awoke from their slumber. Pity Mcnally priced the tickets so high, would have been a good atmoshere with a full house.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]It''s a struggle to get an atmosphere going with 25k of our fans in the ground so was never going to be easy with only 12k.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Which included 3.5k spuds fans who were in fine voice for most of the night but went rather quiet after we scored.
[/quote]

Well now. In the halcyon days of Robert Chase we played Spurs at home in the 4th round of the FA Cup. We were clear top of the Premiership and the attendance was 15,003. The following season we played Vitesse Arnhem at home in our first ever European match ant the attendance was 16,818. So maybe we''ve never been that interested in cups during the modern era.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]It''s a struggle to get an atmosphere going with 25k of our fans in the ground so was never going to be easy with only 12k.[/quote]

*16,465[/quote]Which included 3.5k spuds fans who were in fine voice for most of the night but went rather quiet after we scored.[/quote]Yeah, I enjoyed that lol.I sat in the City stand rather than my usual seat, and never again lol. Great view, but like a frigging morgue![/quote]I sat in the City stand for the Scunthorpe game so I know where you''re coming from although the Barclay wasn''t much better until we equalised tonight and then they finally awoke from their slumber. Pity Mcnally priced the tickets so high, would have been a good atmoshere with a full house. [/quote]A lot has been said about the price etc. I think personally McNally knew exactly what he was doing, and had the price been cheaper there wouldn''t have been many more there tonight.Its his job to make these calls, and I''m fairly sure he will have weighed up all options.I wouldn''t bet against a ticket price of 20 or 25 quid and a full house for the next round though.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]It''s a struggle to get an atmosphere going with 25k of our fans in the ground so was never going to be easy with only 12k.[/quote]

*16,465[/quote]Which included 3.5k spuds fans who were in fine voice for most of the night but went rather quiet after we scored.[/quote]Yeah, I enjoyed that lol.I sat in the City stand rather than my usual seat, and never again lol. Great view, but like a frigging morgue![/quote]I sat in the City stand for the Scunthorpe game so I know where you''re coming from although the Barclay wasn''t much better until we equalised tonight and then they finally awoke from their slumber. Pity Mcnally priced the tickets so high, would have been a good atmoshere with a full house. [/quote]A lot has been said about the price etc. I think personally McNally knew exactly what he was doing, and had the price been cheaper there wouldn''t have been many more there tonight.Its his job to make these calls, and I''m fairly sure he will have weighed up all options.I wouldn''t bet against a ticket price of 20 or 25 quid and a full house for the next round though.[/quote]Sounds like perhaps he didn''t then ?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kdncfc"]It''s a struggle to get an atmosphere going with 25k of our fans in the ground so was never going to be easy with only 12k.[/quote]

*16,465[/quote]Which included 3.5k spuds fans who were in fine voice for most of the night but went rather quiet after we scored.[/quote]Yeah, I enjoyed that lol.I sat in the City stand rather than my usual seat, and never again lol. Great view, but like a frigging morgue![/quote]I sat in the City stand for the Scunthorpe game so I know where you''re coming from although the Barclay wasn''t much better until we equalised tonight and then they finally awoke from their slumber. Pity Mcnally priced the tickets so high, would have been a good atmoshere with a full house. [/quote]A lot has been said about the price etc. I think personally McNally knew exactly what he was doing, and had the price been cheaper there wouldn''t have been many more there tonight.Its his job to make these calls, and I''m fairly sure he will have weighed up all options.I wouldn''t bet against a ticket price of 20 or 25 quid and a full house for the next round though.[/quote]Sounds like perhaps he didn''t then ?[/quote]Do you really think that had tickets been a fiver cheaper more people would have gone?I don''t.People have all sorts of reasons why they can''t attend midweek games, the ticket price seems just a convenient excuse for a few.

[quote user="morty"]

Do you really think that had tickets been a fiver cheaper more people would have gone?

I don''t.

People have all sorts of reasons why they can''t attend midweek games, the ticket price seems just a convenient excuse for a few.
[/quote]

Oh come on, Morty. Last night''s attendance was only 2,500 more than for the midweek tie against Doncaster. Given the vast disparity in the number of Doncaster and Spurs fans who attended the two games it is quite possible we actually had fewer NCFC fans there last night to see another PL team than we did to watch us play a team from the third tier.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]

Do you really think that had tickets been a fiver cheaper more people would have gone?I don''t.People have all sorts of reasons why they can''t attend midweek games, the ticket price seems just a convenient excuse for a few.[/quote]

Oh come on, Morty. Last night''s attendance was only 2,500 more than for the midweek tie against Doncaster. Given the vast disparity in the number of Doncaster and Spurs fans who attended the two games it is quite possible we actually had fewer NCFC fans there last night to see another PL team than we did to watch us play a team from the third tier.

[/quote]Okay, put yourself in the position.You are able to make the game, everything slots into place, travel, logistics, everything.Are you saying seriously that an extra fiver or tenner would stop you?Really?

The reality is that it is season ticket holders who don''t turn up in great numbers for these matches.  The super member / casual ticket buyers of whom I am one  will have more chance of getting a ticket than usual - but  are more likely to attend a weekend cup match given that a lot of us have to travel - and also have jobs which stop us attending midweek.  

So it should be obvious to the club that the only way to get a large crowd is to entice regulars - ie season ticket holders - with cheap prices combined with an opportunity to  bring family members who might not normally be able to attend. 

If the Leicester cup match is seen as a sort of parallel game from last season -  what was the attendance there and the pricing?   That may have had some bearing on the pricing for this match. 

However, it is in the club''s interests to take on board any clear messages  from fans - and the message last night was clear.   Season ticket holders not happy.  That should be a warning - whta''s the saying ? - "don''t bite the hand that feeds you". 

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]

Do you really think that had tickets been a fiver cheaper more people would have gone?

I don''t.

People have all sorts of reasons why they can''t attend midweek games, the ticket price seems just a convenient excuse for a few.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay, put yourself in the position.

You are able to make the game, everything slots into place, travel, logistics, everything.

Are you saying seriously that an extra fiver or tenner would stop you?

Really?
[/quote]

As an eccentric tax-haven-dwelling billionaire, no of course it wouldn''t make a difference to me. But in the real world of nomal people, such as a 16-year-old, it would. Or someone in the public sector who has just lost their job, or fears they will next year, it would. Or anyone already without a job, or at best on the minimum wage. Etc etc etc. Yes, an extra fiver or a tenner might very well stop me. And it certainly seems it did stop people. Otherwise how do you explain that at best we probably only had as many NCFC fans in the ground last night for a fifth round tie against Spurs as we had for a fourth round tie against a third tier side?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]

Do you really think that had tickets been a fiver cheaper more people would have gone?I don''t.People have all sorts of reasons why they can''t attend midweek games, the ticket price seems just a convenient excuse for a few.[/quote]

[/quote]Okay, put yourself in the position.You are able to make the game, everything slots into place, travel, logistics, everything.Are you saying seriously that an extra fiver or tenner would stop you?Really?[/quote]

As an eccentric tax-haven-dwelling billionaire, no of course it wouldn''t make a difference to me. But in the real world of nomal people, such as a 16-year-old, it would. Or someone in the public sector who has just lost their job, or fears they will next year, it would. Or anyone already without a job, or at best on the minimum wage. Etc etc etc. Yes, an extra fiver or a tenner might very well stop me. And it certainly seems it did stop people. Otherwise how do you explain that at best we probably only had as many NCFC fans in the ground last night for a fifth round tie against Spurs as we had for a fourth round tie against a third tier side?

[/quote]I disagree. And stick to my opinion that if people really wanted to go, they would have.

My personal view is that £30 is too much to see a league cup match outside of the semi or final stage, and people from further afield are far less likely to travel for a midweek tie in the cup than they are a weekend league game and therefore prices should be reduced accordingly.£15-20 would have been a better range IMHO, as at this level the local casual fan and/or season ticket holders are more likely to attend and therefore help drive the atmosphere more.I don''t think he got the pricing horribly wrong, simply that if it had been closer to £20 we''d likely have had over 20k attendance and more home fans as a percentage.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]

I don''t.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are able to make the game, everything slots into place, travel, logistics, everything.

Really?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree. And stick to my opinion that if people really wanted to go, they would have.
[/quote]

So why didn''t they? If the price of tickets wasn''t an issue, how come only about 13,000 NCFC fans attended the game?

the problem with it for me was more the attitude of the club towards the competition than the pricing (or perhaps a combination of the two) - £30 to see NCFC v Spurs is fine, but it''s difficult to justify that sort of money (on top of £40 per month for my season ticket) for what was always going to be a glorified reserves game midway through the competition.  If I''d felt beforehand that i''d be watching first-team football I''d have found a way to afford a ticket, i''m sure.

...all of which makes the Villa game a bit of a dilemma for me - reckon there''s a chance that we''ll start taking this competition a bit more seriously at the QF stage, especialy as Hughton will be aware of how much winning the game will mean to the home fans...

jb

My mate is an Arsenal fan. He paid £10 for his ticket for the last round which clearly had stated on the ticket "Reduced prices as we cannot guarentee first team players in action" (or something along those lines).

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]Okay, put yourself in the position.You are able to make the game, everything slots into place, travel, logistics, everything.Are you saying seriously that an extra fiver or tenner would stop you?Really?[/quote]

[/quote]I disagree. And stick to my opinion that if people really wanted to go, they would have.[/quote]

So why didn''t they? If the price of tickets wasn''t an issue, how come only about 13,000 NCFC fans attended the game?

[/quote]I have no idea. Other logistics, travel etc?I honestly don''t know.But to say, without any way of actually proving it, that more people would have gone had it been cheaper is only an opinion, and isn''t actually based on any fact.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]

I don''t.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree. And stick to my opinion that if people really wanted to go, they would have.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have no idea. Other logistics, travel etc?

I honestly don''t know.

But to say, without any way of actually proving it, that more people would have gone had it been cheaper is only an opinion, and isn''t actually based on any fact.
[/quote]

Morty I don''t want to prolong this, but all the factors that applied to last night in terms of logistics, travel, midweek etc, also applied to the Doncaster game. For that there 14,000 spectators. Be very generous and assume 1,000 Doncaster fans. That makes 13,000 NCFC fans. Last night the attendance was 16,500. I don''t know how many Spurs fans were there, but supposedly they took most if not all the away allocation, and it seems there were quite a few elsewhere in the ground. The chances are we only had 13,000 or fewer NCFC fans last night. For a game a stage further in the same competition against a PL team. If anything there should have been more fans there than for Doncaster. But there weren''t. The obvious new factor is the price of tickets. And McNally had admitted he got it wrong. Easier to get blood out of a stone than an admission of error from him. Are you saying he actually got it right, even though he says he got it wrong?

"Are you saying seriously that an extra fiver or tenner would stop you?

Really?"

Yup. After McNally''s announcement of the extortionate price for the Spurs game, I decided to see the great Wishbone Ash in Newmarket. Two hours of cracking entertainment with a lively crowd, and no reserve musicians taking the place of the proper line-up on the night.

At ten pounds cheapert, McNally made this a no-brainer for me.

Still recovering my hearing, though ...

To put my 2 cents into Purple and Morty''s debate. I''m sorry Morty but I have to side with purple on this one. The only variants in the 2 games being used as an example are: The opposition, round and price. Both opposition and round were superior, leaves only 1 factor. And like Purple said, if the man himself has admitted he got it wrong, is there really any reason to continue the debate?

The only other factor i can think of is that it was wet and cold, and on Halloween. But seeing as most tickets are bought in advance nowadays and not at the turnstile, and halloween is a rubbish holiday that matters diddly squat, ticket pricing is the only reason for low attendance, IMO.

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

"Are you saying seriously that an extra fiver or tenner would stop you?Really?"

Yup. After McNally''s announcement of the extortionate price for the Spurs game, I decided to see the great Wishbone Ash in Newmarket. Two hours of cracking entertainment with a lively crowd, and no reserve musicians taking the place of the proper line-up on the night.

At ten pounds cheapert, McNally made this a no-brainer for me.

Still recovering my hearing, though ...

[/quote]Binner[;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]I disagree. And stick to my opinion that if people really wanted to go, they would have.[/quote]

[/quote]I have no idea. Other logistics, travel etc?I honestly don''t know.But to say, without any way of actually proving it, that more people would have gone had it been cheaper is only an opinion, and isn''t actually based on any fact.[/quote]

Morty I don''t want to prolong this, but all the factors that applied to last night in terms of logistics, travel, midweek etc, also applied to the Doncaster game. For that there 14,000 spectators. Be very generous and assume 1,000 Doncaster fans. That makes 13,000 NCFC fans. Last night the attendance was 16,500. I don''t know how many Spurs fans were there, but supposedly they took most if not all the away allocation, and it seems there were quite a few elsewhere in the ground. The chances are we only had 13,000 or fewer NCFC fans last night. For a game a stage further in the same competition against a PL team. If anything there should have been more fans there than for Doncaster. But there weren''t. The obvious new factor is the price of tickets. And McNally had admitted he got it wrong. Easier to get blood out of a stone than an admission of error from him. Are you saying he actually got it right, even though he says he got it wrong?

[/quote]Chances are you''re right.But what I am saying there is no actual way of proving it lol.Or is McNally just saying that to appease fans, who knows?