Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

This is why I want Norwich to sign Naughton!!!

Naughton is going to only get better and I think he was our best defender last year and should have been third in the player of the season voting.But with Corluka moved on from Spurs, I guess he is good cover at the moment. If there is some desire from Naughton to leave then we can begin to maybe enquire.Maybe again with our budget he is a season off being a signing we can get.We do need to spend money on that spine of the team because even our team finishing the end of the season was not settled. That spine is critical to our chnaces of premiership survival for a second year.

Terrific player but fee of £6m to Spurs becomes £10m+ once you include salary of conservative £20k per week for 4 years, signing on fee and agents fees.  Don''t think we can afford quality players, look for cheaper options in Chasmpionship from clubs without new financially backed clubs, doesn''t leave too many options Barnsley, Ipswich perhaps.  Hope CH finds a gem or finds one on loan kid from Liverpool maybe.

6 million for a full-back.... no way.  I''m sure there are many equally good players in the lower leagues for a fraction of that price if we do the necessary scouting.  

Skerritt. I''m with you too fella. The most consistent defender we had last season and his only real stinker was Villa away. he''s equally as good at left back too. Anyone who thinks 6m is a lot these days need to wake up...plus, I reckon he''d be worth double that in a few years.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Skerritt. I''m with you too fella. The most consistent defender we had last season and his only real stinker was Villa away. he''s equally as good at left back too. Anyone who thinks 6m is a lot these days need to wake up...plus, I reckon he''d be worth double that in a few years.[/quote]

Nope, anybody who thinks that 6 million nowadays is NOT a lot of money needs to wise up. That''s why this country is in such a mess.

£6m might not be a lot to you likely to be 40% of NCFC transfer budget, the country is in such a mess because idiots like you insist everyone needs to live beyond their means.

6Million is a lot but we are looking at a very good prospect who is well worth the 6million and more.

I do not think you will find an equal replacement in the championship or leagues below. Don''t you think that other clubs would have looked for them? We have picked out some gems but there are reasons why players are in lower league teams.I think for the calibre of player that Naughton is... his value is 4-6 million. It is ridiculous, but welcome to the premier league. It has been like this for years. Naughton has excelled at Sheff Utd and is now part of a competitive Spurs squad. I expect him to be great back up to Kyle Walker, but if AVB wants he may be on the move. Over a three year contract 6 mllion is a reasonable transfer fee and no question if he continues to progress he will and can be worth more. I certainly can see that he has room to improve to become even better, he was our standout defender last year and will be sorely missed this season.I think Naughton will be at Spurs from now on, but if we were to pursue up to 3 million that would be fair for what our budget can stretch to. We need quality in our signings and 3-4 signings should be equally valued.Who knows Hughton will have his own ideas... but I think 6 million of our budget on him is too steep but I also see a few players possibly leaving our squad hopefully for a bit in fees so that would go back in to our budget. I don''t think we will buy anyone at 6 million, we are not at that level yet. Most of our players last season were less than a million, this summer hopefully we can begin to bring in the calibre to play alongside Howson and RB. Then if we can stay up against some of the odds we can look at adding at the next level of quality players in the 4 million bracket possibly 5 million.We are a team that is going to rely on a youth set-up, we do not have any financial assistance on the horizon except for potential tv money. Our club is going to be built on our A grade Academy, but that is going to take a long, long time

Nope, anybody who thinks that 6 million nowadays is NOT a lot of money needs to wise up. That''s why this country is in such a mess.

Moy, sad but true but since when has football money had anything to do with the real world? Man City''s bench in one of their euro games cost more than NCFC has EVER spend on players...that died a death in 1992. £6m is nothing in today''s "football" money.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Nope, anybody who thinks that 6 million nowadays is NOT a lot of money needs to wise up. That''s why this country is in such a mess. Moy, sad but true but since when has football money had anything to do with the real world? Man City''s bench in one of their euro games cost more than NCFC has EVER spend on players...that died a death in 1992. £6m is nothing in today''s "football" money.[/quote]

Man City are not part of the real world. Their existence does not depend on income v expenditure whereas ours does, thus we cannot compare ourselves to them.   

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Nope, anybody who thinks that 6 million nowadays is NOT a lot of money needs to wise up. That''s why this country is in such a mess.

Moy, sad but true but since when has football money had anything to do with the real world? Man City''s bench in one of their euro games cost more than NCFC has EVER spend on players...that died a death in 1992. £6m is nothing in today''s "football" money.[/quote]Should we ask Portsmouth if the £9 million they spent on the Defoe in 2008 was a lot of money? I dunno what football you follow, but with the exception of clubs with rich foreign backing, football actually isn''t in a great state. In my opinion, the perception that "6 million is NOT a lot of money" probably has a lot to do with it.
Just to clarify on your opinion, you believe that 9% of our yearly turnover is not a lot of money? You think that 9% of our yearly turnover, we should spend on the transfer fees of one player?I''m guessing you don''t run a business? NCFC are trying to run one within its means. To any business, 9% of yearly turnover IS a lot of money.

Ghosty.

I actually do run a successful business in a industry that has had 2 "recessions" in the past 10 years. My company is 10 years old next year and it''s my first one, so I must be doing something right?...but lets not get personal eh?

Do you not think that KN could not be worth double that in a few years? I certainly do. I actually think he has more class than Kyle Walker but just lacks his blistering pace. If we paid 9m and paid him 20k a week for 3 years I can still see him leaving to a bigger club and we''d be up in the deal.

Its going to be tougher this year and they''ll be a few points in up or down IMO and if you think Whittaker is going to keep us up then you''re dreaming...he''s half a notch up from Sutch. RM got seriously found out many times at RB last season too.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Ghosty.

I actually do run a successful business in a industry that has had 2

"recessions" in the past 10 years. My company is 10 years old next year

and it''s my first one, so I must be doing something right?...but lets

not get personal eh?[/quote]You''re 100% correct, and I''m sorry I came over all personal. I''ll put it down to being early, and I hadn''t had a coffee yet.[quote user="spencer 1970"]

Do you not think that KN could not be worth double that in a few years? I

certainly do. I actually think he has more class than Kyle Walker but

just lacks his blistering pace. If we paid 9m and paid him 20k a week

for 3 years I can still see him leaving to a bigger club and we''d be up

in the deal. [/quote]You think KN will be worth 18 million in 3 years time? Sorry, can''t agree with that. Also, that scenario comes with risks. Lets say we did buy him on a 3 year deal for 9mil, and then pay him 20k/week, and he is as good as you say he is. He has a great first 2 years, and then wants to sign a new deal to double his wages. We can''t afford that, and as he only has a year left on his contract, we either sell him for less, or lose him on a free in a years time. I see that as just as likely as your scenario.

[quote user="spencer 1970"] 

Its going to be tougher this year and they''ll be a few points in up or

down IMO and if you think Whittaker is going to keep us up then you''re

dreaming...he''s half a notch up from Sutch. RM got seriously found out

many times at RB last season too.[/quote]I agree we need be stronger in the fullback position. I also agree that Naughton would be a great signing. However, I disagree we should be paying that sort of money at this stage of the clubs evolution. I also disagree that 6-9mil is an accurate valuation of him. We need to invest in players that are undervalued, not overvalued.

I couldn''t agree more Ghost on all points. You cannot buy a player nowadays based on what he may be worth in the future, especially as he could aim to go on a free by not renewing his contract. The future is not predictable but the present is and 6m for one defender will put a major burden on NCFC''s finances. Just think of Portsmouth, Skerritt, and I''m surprised your business has survived if you carry over your attitude to money into your own business. Perhaps because it''s not your money that it''s so easy to advise NCFC to spend in this way.

[quote user="paul moy"]I couldn''t agree more Ghost on all points. You cannot buy a player nowadays based on what he may be worth in the future, especially as he could aim to go on a free by not renewing his contract. The future is not predictable but the present is and 6m for one defender will put a major burden on NCFC''s finances. Just think of Portsmouth, Skerritt, and I''m surprised your business has survived if you carry over your attitude to money into your own business. Perhaps because it''s not your money that it''s so easy to advise NCFC to spend in this way.[/quote]

Apologies to Skerritt.....  Should be Spencer.  [:$]

Lots of ways of looking at this one.  Yes its a large proportion of our turn over but in keepers, strikers and midfielders we appear well stocked with players that are young, with a successful season behind them and should only improve;   we have our own £6m player as captain and striker part of a strike force that score as well as any unit out of the top 4, an interchangeable midfield with good cover and some talented keepers.

So where are we saving our transfer budget for if its not for the defence, where we could not keep a clean sheet and desperately need cover for full backs?   In the lower leagues (cheaper fees, unknown quantity) I cant think of anyone that is better than Martin or whittaker and if we sign anyone they have to be an improvement.   Yet I would not want either to be our starter at right back,  Naughton is a far superior player than both 

No signing is risk free.   But I think Naughton is both worth £6m (if Holt is, then so is Naughton,  where you have a realistic prospect of a return on your fee due to his age) in the current market, and if anything worth more than that to us by helping secure further prem league seasons.  Its a lot of money but with only a left back the other essential £6m on Naughton could be seen as a wise investment.

A back four of Naughton Bennet Davies +1 gives some real defensive peace of mind;  £6m or priceless? 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Lots of ways of looking at this one.  Yes its a large proportion of our turn over but in keepers, strikers and midfielders we appear well stocked with players that are young, with a successful season behind them and should only improve;   we have our own £6m player as captain and striker part of a strike force that score as well as any unit out of the top 4, an interchangeable midfield with good cover and some talented keepers.

So where are we saving our transfer budget for if its not for the defence, where we could not keep a clean sheet and desperately need cover for full backs?   In the lower leagues (cheaper fees, unknown quantity) I cant think of anyone that is better than Martin or whittaker and if we sign anyone they have to be an improvement.   Yet I would not want either to be our starter at right back,  Naughton is a far superior player than both 

No signing is risk free.   But I think Naughton is both worth £6m (if Holt is, then so is Naughton,  where you have a realistic prospect of a return on your fee due to his age) in the current market, and if anything worth more than that to us by helping secure further prem league seasons.  Its a lot of money but with only a left back the other essential £6m on Naughton could be seen as a wise investment.

A back four of Naughton Bennet Davies +1 gives some real defensive peace of mind;  £6m or priceless? 

[/quote]

I don''t think we''re well stocked with forwards as far as pace is concerned. Vaughan is injury-prone and Jackson is simply not Prem material. I really do hope we strengthen with one quality addition.

sorry chaps, the "£9m" was a typo and was supposed to represent the £6m + wages for 3 seasons. I think he''ll be worth more than the £9m by then.

Football is a personal thing and its obvious to see, I rate him highly. I understand that there are risks in buying him but IF we could get him for 4-5m, then bite spurs hands off, 6m, ok a slight risk but I think he would be one hell of an asset and we''d win in the end.

I think its in defence that we need to build on as cost us many times last season and losing one of our star defenders is a backwards step.

On a separate note...I personally think we only need 1 winger to add in midfield and upfront we are already flush...so chose well in defence and we are sorted.

I think it comes down to this. Without Naughton and Drury we are weak at fullback. Martin is better in the middle, Tierney is an injury doubt and Whittaker''s reputation as a defender leaves me feeling slightly uncomfortable. The £6 million quoted for Naughton seems rather steep but we know that the boy is top quality and will only get better. With him on board I would feel more confident of staying in this division. Without him or without someone of a similar standard I think our chances would be much diminished.The prize is a £60 million payout from Sky next season so do we stick or twist?Faint heart never won a fair lady so in the case of Kyle Naughton, Ricardo is all for twisting.[;)]

If we can get Naughton for 6 mil then we must go for it. We all know it''s a lot of money but we are with the big boys now and subject to whoever else we are after, is it really that a big a risk?

I think we have a good basic squad and as long as the new coaching staff maintain the extraordinary fitness levels of the Lambo/Culverhouse era, we don''t need too many additions to have a good chance of staying up.

[quote user="ricardo"]I think it comes down to this. Without Naughton and Drury we are weak at fullback. Martin is better in the middle, Tierney is an injury doubt and Whittaker''s reputation as a defender leaves me feeling slightly uncomfortable. The £6 million quoted for Naughton seems rather steep but we know that the boy is top quality and will only get better. With him on board I would feel more confident of staying in this division. Without him or without someone of a similar standard I think our chances would be much diminished.

The prize is a £60 million payout from Sky next season so do we stick or twist?

Faint heart never won a fair lady so in the case of Kyle Naughton, Ricardo is all for twisting.[;)]
[/quote]

Rickyyyyyyyy buddy, are you seriously suggesting we should budget on the strength of money we may get in the future?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="ricardo"]I think it comes down to this. Without Naughton and Drury we are weak at fullback. Martin is better in the middle, Tierney is an injury doubt and Whittaker''s reputation as a defender leaves me feeling slightly uncomfortable. The £6 million quoted for Naughton seems rather steep but we know that the boy is top quality and will only get better. With him on board I would feel more confident of staying in this division. Without him or without someone of a similar standard I think our chances would be much diminished.The prize is a £60 million payout from Sky next season so do we stick or twist?Faint heart never won a fair lady so in the case of Kyle Naughton, Ricardo is all for twisting.[;)][/quote]

Rickyyyyyyyy buddy, are you seriously suggesting we should budget on the strength of money we may get in the future?

[/quote]No Nigel, simply stating that the odds of prize are much greater with Kyle Naughton than without him and IMO it''s worth the gamble, but then I''m not the manager.I feel there is a weakness at fullback at the moment that needs to be corrected. I don''t know the ins and outs of our bid for Naughton last January but the rumour is that we baulked at £3 million. I thought we were erring on the side of caution then and I still feel the same way now.I strongly believe that this boy is worth going the extra mile for, although if fee and wages really are beyond us then fair enough, but I want to know that we at least tried.What are your thoughts on the fullback position Nigel? If reports of Whittakers defensive frailties prove correct and Hughton doesn''t have something else up his sleeve, then I fear we may be in trouble

I think Naughton is worth the gamble - the riches of staying up mean that he could pay his transfer fee several times over if he helps strengthen the defence. Seems we have the money so Naughton and Davies please Mr Hughton.

I think what is amazing is that so many people thought "the gamble of Holt''s extra year" wasn''t worth taking!

I think Naughton was our best left and right back last season. And I think Drury was his best partner. Neither are here now so we obviously need someone else as well as Whittaker. Having not seen Whittaker play I haven''t got a clue about him but if he has defensive frailties then it''s a huge black mark for Hughton because whilst there was no fee involved he is on a four yhear contract which I would imagine has put him among the top earners at the club.

Trouble with paying a huge transfer fee is that there''s still the contract to come. I doubt many clubs boast a fullback as their record signing and 6m plus a 4 year contract to attract him from Spurs is the kind of costs that the top four would pay.