Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk canary

Who do we want in and out?

We cannot afford to bring in 6 new starters this summer. I am all for bringing in players to improve the starting 11, but we don''t have the budget to make half a dozen of these type of sginings. The likes of Lansbury and Pacheco would be good squad signings, really adding to the depth of the squad and helping in the rotation policy (+ i think lansbury is jsut a touch of class, has the potential to be so much better than what we have). We then need 3 quality signings, players like Naughton, Snodgrass and Rhodes (although i think he may be well overpriced this summer).

Did that poster called Millitant Canary - the one who wrote the fantastic post  on potential new targets as Strikers ever come beck and give us a list of central midfield possibles?

why do people want Jackson out? was far better than Moro when he started that is... given more of an opportunity I am sure he would put in a fair few goals.

noticed some one mentioned Tom Ince would be amazing if we could get him in but cant see that happening some how..

Would love to see Emnes as provides a bigger stronger Elliot Bennett and still so young so would be nice to see how Lambert would help him improve

i didn''t realize they would be that much, seeing as tho many play in just above mid table positions in average leagues.

i think tomkins would be happy to move, but probably to a more established club. I would say jarvis is worth about 6m  tbh. i think that would be a good purchase as he''s an attacking left footed winger which we don''t have.

i personally think we should be aiming higher than curtis davies who is as good as ward.

In''s

Yakubu

Emnes

Snodgrass

Davies

Naughton

Pacheco

A tough tackling midfielder

Another centre back

Out''s

Barnett

Drury

Lappin

Ward

Rudd (on loan)

Adeyemi (on loan)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

i didn''t realize they would be that much, seeing as tho many play in just above mid table positions in average leagues.

i think tomkins would be happy to move, but probably to a more established club. I would say jarvis is worth about 6m  tbh. i think that would be a good purchase as he''s an attacking left footed winger which we don''t have.

i personally think we should be aiming higher than curtis davies who is as good as ward.

[/quote]
Boyhood West Ham fan playing in the premier league for his club is not going to leave any time soon and certainly not for anything Norwich can afford.
Jarvis is valued at 10 million pounds by the club that has his contract, your view is irrelevant. Teams are going to have to bid near 10 million pounds before they can talk to him and Stoke are already interested (and they can afford a 10 million pound player). We already have an attacking left sided winger in Pilkington (who is two footed). Anyway aren''t Norwich (supposedly) targeting Snodgrass, there''s your attacking left footed winger.

[quote user="Gareth"]Jarvis is valued at 10 million pounds by the club that has his contract, your view is irrelevant.[/quote]Yet another inflated price because the guy is English.Don''t get me wrong, I like Jarvis as a player and would welcome him here - but not at that price.It has to be a max of 7 million for someone like Jarvis, and that''s purely because he''s proven at this level and still fairly young.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Gareth"]Jarvis is valued at 10 million pounds by the club that has his contract, your view is irrelevant.[/quote]Yet another inflated price because the guy is English.Don''t get me wrong, I like Jarvis as a player and would welcome him here - but not at that price.It has to be a max of 7 million for someone like Jarvis, and that''s purely because he''s proven at this level and still fairly young.[/quote]
I agree that he shouldn''t be worth 10 million pounds but Wolves reckon he is, he''s under contract so they get to decide the price. Even if it''s overvalued

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Some of the outs in the post infuriate me.[/quote]im sure some of your ''outs'' will infuriate others too... lets hear them!

My pick would be:

(pricing an estimate)

In

Rhodes - £5.5m

Snodgrass - £2.5m

Caulker - £4.5m

Clyne - £3m

Out

Barnett - £750k

Chris Martin - £1m

Net spend - £13.75m

A net spend of £13.74 would be about £2m more than we spent last summer, so a realistic total spend.

To those who have campaigned for a highly experienced CB to replace Whitbread, Lambert opted not to invest in premier league experience last season, so i don''t see that Lambert will change tack now that existing players have that experience.

I don''t think we need a 5th centre back as Russell Martin have proven a more than capable option in there.

My feeling is that any possible deal of luring Naughton on a permanent basis has lost momentum, so the two time championship team of the year RB, Nathaniel Clyne, is the best bet.

Caulker has had a year in the premiership with Swansea and has impressed me on a number of occasions. Would provide needed height and bulk with good resale value.

Snodgrass has been linked with us frequently in the last 12 months. He has worked under Lambert before and played with Brad Johnson, Jonny Howson and Wes Hoolahan before so would be close to a seamless transition. One year left on his deal so maybe able to bring him on a similarly small fee (in the context of his value!) to Howson.

I don''t need to discuss Jordan Rhodes. A record breaking 12 months in League 1 and Lambert has never been afraid of headhunting in the lower leagues (with success!). Would provide us yet another goalscoring option, and would be an obvious talisman show the worst happen (Holt leaving).

Thoughts?

[quote user="Hoshke1"]My pick would be: (pricing an estimate) In Rhodes - £5.5m Snodgrass - £2.5m Caulker - £4.5m Clyne - £3m Out Barnett - £750k Chris Martin - £1m Net spend - £13.75m A net spend of £13.74 would be about £2m more than we spent last summer, so a realistic total spend. To those who have campaigned for a highly experienced CB to replace Whitbread, Lambert opted not to invest in premier league experience last season, so i don''t see that Lambert will change tack now that existing players have that experience. I don''t think we need a 5th centre back as Russell Martin have proven a more than capable option in there. My feeling is that any possible deal of luring Naughton on a permanent basis has lost momentum, so the two time championship team of the year RB, Nathaniel Clyne, is the best bet. Caulker has had a year in the premiership with Swansea and has impressed me on a number of occasions. Would provide needed height and bulk with good resale value. Snodgrass has been linked with us frequently in the last 12 months. He has worked under Lambert before and played with Brad Johnson, Jonny Howson and Wes Hoolahan before so would be close to a seamless transition. One year left on his deal so maybe able to bring him on a similarly small fee (in the context of his value!) to Howson. I don''t need to discuss Jordan Rhodes. A record breaking 12 months in League 1 and Lambert has never been afraid of headhunting in the lower leagues (with success!). Would provide us yet another goalscoring option, and would be an obvious talisman show the worst happen (Holt leaving). Thoughts?[/quote]

Good reasoning, but I would not want and should not think that PL will risk that much on Rhodes. I always had doubts about him coming to us but veered in favour. His play-offs performance, when he was effectively in the shop window for Premiership suitors, was disappointing to the extreme. He was hardly involved and this was still really a L1 game.

Neither do I feel we have quite enough cover at CB. Whilst happy to keep the ever reliable Elliot Wardd on, I would be happier with a.n.other in that position as well. I am taking into account my remembrance of the way this particular position was ravaged by injury last season. Russel Martin does well at CB too, but he is alson valuable as cover at full-back and cannot be everywhere once injuries start to build up.

The Forest player mentioned today on here, or Curtis Davies of Brum would be ideal in this scenario 

[quote user="Hoshke1"]etc, etc

Thoughts?[/quote]Firstly I wouldn''t want us to pay that sort of price for Rhodes, he''s just not worth it at this stage, I wouldn''t want to pay more than 3.5 mil and if they want more, they can keep him.Caulker is unlikely to be leaving Spurs anytime soon, as with King''s ongoing injury issues, Woodgate''s release, and the ages of Gallas and Dawson, he represents the future of their defence.I''d be very happy with Snodgrass at that price, and Clune wouldn''t be a bad option if Naughton''s price has gone too high.Everyone keeps looking to offload Barnett despite him not being that bad, but the fact is that as far as we know - there are no potential suitors for his services, so this could well end up a moot point.Similarly I don''t understand why everyone wants C.Martin to move on, he''s a decent enough squad player and unless we''re bringing in quality to displace our current first team, we''re going to need options in case of injury and suspension, and apart from Wes, no-one else can naturally play behind the front men/man like Martin can.

Indy,

Rhodes has broken records at League 1 level, is singularly the most spoken about footballer outside the premiership, is still very young so would resell quite well, and would cost £1.5m less than Jay Rodriguez at this price. He is an ex-Ipswich trainee and would really make the signing even more inviting.

So far Southampton and Swansea have laid down £7m markers and I don''t see £5.5m being an uneducated gamble that we can''t afford to make.

Caulker has recently been sounded out by the press and Spurs themselves about returning to Swansea. There has been talk of a permanent switch and also a loan. Ryan Bennett chose us over Swansea, so I have reason to believe that we are capable of matching what life at the Liberty has to offer.

If the entirety of the British press is to be believed, then Jan Vertonghen is heading to Spurs anyway, who along with Dawson, Kaboul and Gallas will form the core central defensive unit.

Dawson is not old at 28! King is a backup and dressing room figure at the club due to his chronic knee issues.

Barnett''s appearances this season coincided with our string of penalties conceded and sendings off. He has never looked solid and does not have the ability or technique to pass effectively out of defence as Lambert would like. He is at the bottom of the pecking order for our centre backs. He is a solid championship centre back and at the right price, clubs will come calling.

C. Martin''s one good season for the club came in League 1. He scored 17 goals in 42 league games.

He followed that with 4 league goals in 30 league games in the championship. He recently scored 7 goals for Crystal Palace in 26 league games. He offers neither a physical presence not express pace. His goalscoring record does not inspire confidence. He is technically sound and plays with his head up, but a number of Norwich fans are blinkered by the prospect of having a youth product play for the first team. Throw in his disciplinary record and the fact that Lambert clearly agrees with me that he doesnt deserve to feature for us, then you have your answer.

Indy - get you facts straight.

That''s abit harsh on Indy. He gave his opinions as to why he wouldn''t want to sign some of them players you stated. No one really knows how Rhodes will do at this level, but as other players have shown, like our players, that it can be achieved. I''d only sign him for £4 million tops. I''d like us to look at Yakubu. I realise it''s a long shot due to wages but he is available for £1 million and if he scores another 15+goals next season he will be worth breaking the bank for. I can see West Ham and QPR trumping us massively, but it''s worth a try for a proven Premiership goalscorer.

I can only think of a couple I''d like out........

Just remember the time and date everybody...3.43pm on Wednesday 30th may when the usual suspect threw the first crumbs down on a good thread in an attempt to derail it and take it off topic. Just saying [:@]

I usually agree with a lot of what Indy Bones says but in this instance I am with Hoshke. I think we have to accept that Wes is a bit of a one off really. There are very few players who possess his trickery, vision and ability to find pockets of space in between the lines of midfield and attack. I am Chris Martin fan and he is a good second striker who can link the play but that is very different to being utilised in a roaming role where the entire team is built around you. Martin does not the ability to warrant us ever setting a team up like that in the Premier League. I personally think the time has come for him to move on. He is at a stage in his career where sitting on the bench isn''t going to help his development and if the club can raise extra funds (£750k or so and wages) then I would be satisfied with that. Rhodes would be an exciting signing and one I would be happy to pay the £5 million quoted for him. Granted its a massive gamble but his goalscoring record and speed of thought are unreal. He also seems like a very grounded person from all the interviews he has done and would fit in very well with the team ethic we have here. At 6,2 as well he would bring a good physicality with him alongside the goals too.

But the one thing I will say is that signing Rhodes in reply to Hoshke though is that signing him isn''t a priority. Strengthening the defence certainly is. For a start we have conceded a hell of a lot of goals last season. When you also factor in that our defensive options at the moment consist of Drury, Tierney, Ward, Ayala, Bennett, Barnett and Martin there isnt actually an abundance of depth therre. Two of those players have missed massive chunks of the season through injury. Barnett you would feel has no place in Lambert''s plans and Ward lost his place to Martin at the end of the season. So for me snapping up someone like Clyne is an absolute must if we can''t get Naughton back. But we need other defensive signings too otherwise this could be a very hard season.

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="mrs miggins"]

[/quote]

Boyhood West Ham fan playing in the premier league for his club is not going to leave any time soon and certainly not for anything Norwich can afford.

Jarvis is valued at 10 million pounds by the club that has his contract, your view is irrelevant. Teams are going to have to bid near 10 million pounds before they can talk to him and Stoke are already interested (and they can afford a 10 million pound player). We already have an attacking left sided winger in Pilkington (who is two footed). Anyway aren''t Norwich (supposedly) targeting Snodgrass, there''s your attacking left footed winger.

[/quote]

firstly, if you read what I said about tomkins, you will see that i said he would be happy to go to an established club,

secondly, when i saw snoddy player for leeds (not last season tho i must admit) he played in the center and on the right

thirdly, wolves have said they will not stand in jarvis'' way and would accept £8m for him....thats £8m.....not £10m.....

fourthly, I reckon we can splash out around £6m on a player, whether jarvis or snoddy is that person i don''t know,

but basically what i''m saying is that you don''t have to be a Cu=nT .

[quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="Gareth"][quote user="mrs miggins"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

firstly, if you read what I said about tomkins, you will see that i said he would be happy to go to an established club,

secondly, when i saw snoddy player for leeds (not last season tho i must admit) he played in the center and on the right

thirdly, wolves have said they will not stand in jarvis'' way and would accept £8m for him....thats £8m.....not £10m.....

fourthly, I reckon we can splash out around £6m on a player, whether jarvis or snoddy is that person i don''t know,

but basically what i''m saying is that you don''t have to be a Cu=nT .

[/quote]
Nice, I point out reasons the deals won''t happen and you insult me. 
In answer to your points:
This thread is about Norwich targets, if you honestly think that Tomkins is not going to leave West Ham for Norwich (who are not an established Prem side) then why even mention him? Allardyce could make West Ham into an established Prem side (actually it''s probably more than likely) so Tomkins is going nowhere.
Snodgrass is a left footed attacking player, you didn''t say you wanted a left sided player, you wanted a left footed player, Snodgrass fits the bill. Anyway Jarvis isn''t left footed, he is right footed but has taught himself to use both feet.
Articles I have read suggest Wolves want 10 million pounds for Jarvis, but this is speculation so the true amount could be closer to 8 million. The 6 million pound thing is still irrelevant, whilst you may believe Norwich could spend 6 million on another player (I actually agree with you) but you mentioned it in relation to Jarvis and he''s not for sale for 6 million pounds (according to reports) end of story.
Next time lay off the insults, they make you seem childish.  

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Just remember the time and date everybody...3.43pm on Wednesday 30th may when the usual suspect threw the first crumbs down on a good thread in an attempt to derail it and take it off topic. Just saying [:@][/quote]

What are your views on the subject matter, or are you simply here to do what you accuse other of doing?

I do not want to see the back of Chris Martin and I would rather see the

back of one or two players who are perhaps unexpected ones to be sold,

ones who we could potentially raise a resonable profit on. Selling Chris

Martin is pointless in my opinion.

I would really like to hear Millitant Canary''s views on what players he

would like to sell and which midfielders/defenders he likes the look of.

If you do not wish to publish them for all to see then feel free to PM

me Millitant. Looking forwards to another excellent informed analysis of

the talent on the continent.

[quote user="Hoshke1"]Indy,

Rhodes has broken records at League 1 level[/quote]And?As you point out yourself later in your own reply - Chris Martin scored 17 in League One and you think he''s nowhere near good enough for the prem...League 1 is a far cry from the Prem, and there''s absolutely no guarantee that Rhodes will perform in the top flight.[quote]He is an ex-Ipswich trainee and would really make the signing even more inviting.[/quote]Nope, it''s irrelevant - price and performance are all that matters here.[quote]So far Southampton and Swansea have laid down £7m markers and I don''t see £5.5m being an uneducated gamble that we can''t afford to make.[/quote]Guess you think we''ve got endless money to chuck around?Educated or not, it''s still a gamble, and potentially a very expensive one, both for the transfer fee, and potential impact on results if he can''t make the step up.Sigurdsson is a full international and has already proven himself at this level, and Rodriguez has played at a higher level than Rhodes and would represent a lower risk and more ''educated'' gamble than Rhodes. You can''t directly compare these players as both the other signings have shown ability at a better level than Rhodes.[quote]Caulker has recently been sounded out by the press and Spurs themselves about returning to Swansea. There has been talk of a permanent switch and also a loan.[/quote]Paper talk and nothing more at this stage. There''s no way I can see Spurs selling a quality young player like Caulker to a premiership rival, regardless of who else they might be linked with, and it''ll probably be the same with us and Naughton.[quote]If the entirety of the British press is to be believed, then Jan Vertonghen is heading to Spurs anyway[/quote]Apart from the members of the press advising an Arsenal switch is also highly likely...[quote]Dawson, Kaboul and Gallas will form the core central defensive unit.[/quote]Gallas is getting on, Dawson is horribly injury prone, and Kaboul can be very hit and miss. Throw sicknote King into the mix and their defence doesn''t look that well stocked...[quote]Barnett''s appearances this season coincided with our string of penalties conceded and sendings off. He has never looked solid and does not have the ability or technique to pass effectively out of defence as Lambert would like. He is at the bottom of the pecking order for our centre backs. He is a solid championship centre back and at the right price, clubs will come calling.[/quote]Maybe so, but until we get a solid offer, putting him on the ''out'' list could be a moot point.[quote]C. Martin''s one good season for the club came in League 1. He scored 17 goals in 42 league games.

He followed that with 4 league goals in 30 league games in the championship. He recently scored 7 goals for Crystal Palace in 26 league games.[/quote]In the same CCC season, Jackson didn''t perform either - until the last 7-8 games when Martin was injured, up to that point they were level on goals. His performance this year in a very average to poor Palace team shows ability - he''s their top scorer FFS![quote]He offers neither a physical presence not express pace.[/quote]Neither does Wes... [quote]He is technically sound and plays with his head up[/quote]Which is exactly what a good player should do[quote]A number of Norwich fans are blinkered by the prospect of having a youth product play for the first team. Throw in his disciplinary record and the fact that Lambert clearly agrees with me that he doesnt deserve to feature for us, then you have your answer.[/quote]It''s got nothing to do with his youth background, and everything to do with the squad and suitable replacements, and unless we''re getting someone much better in to replace/cover Wes, then having Martin as a backup makes a lot of sense - even if he''s used sparingly.As for Lambert agreeing with you, he played him in the first 4 games in the Prem, then received a loan offer from Palace which he felt would help develop the player better in the long term. A very sensible move if you ask me, and it means we get a more seasoned player return to us this year, much like Spurs have with Naughton...[quote]Indy - get you facts straight.[/quote]My facts are perfectly straight, what you''re disagreeing with is my opinion.I personally don''t want us to gamble a large chunk of our potential transfer budget on an unproven League 1 striker, nor do I see the point in clearing out decent squad players unless we''ve got better options coming in. If we have then it''s fair enough, but if not,  it''s totally counter-productive.Now get down off your high horse and accept that others have a different view than your own...

just out of interest, has sigurdson (wrong spelling probably) gone to swansea for definite?

it would be great if we could steal him.....god i hate swansea

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

just out of interest, has sigurdson (wrong spelling probably) gone to swansea for definite?

it would be great if we could steal him.....god i hate swansea

[/quote]Yes Swansea have signed Sigurdsson for £7.2 million.